Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1508 Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
You don't need to run D-Nice's slides simply to determine if you have a fan/air noise problem. Just powering it up and playing content at low volume should make it evident that you do or do not. The slides can be downloaded, however, in the 2013 Panasonic settings thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1508 Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
You don't need to run D-Nice's slides simply to determine if you have a fan/air noise problem. Just powering it up and playing content at low volume should make it evident that you do or do not. The slides can be downloaded, however, in the 2013 Panasonic settings thread.

Understand that completely.  That is why I said I was derailing this thread.

I know the slides are for break-in purposes.

If anyone wants to post the link here, great.  Otherwise, will look for the thread.

Thanks

post #543 of 1508 Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Ah, I was confused by your meaning. Here you go: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread
post #544 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Man what a bummer...finally pulled the trigger on a P55VT60 from Video Only (haggled a great price) but my July 2013 build has the terrible fan noise. I was hoping I would get a recently manufactured one as the salesman said they sell these very consistently and they are constantly getting new supply in. It was the last one in stock however so maybe it had been sitting there for awhile? I'm not sure what I should do...

Should I call for the fan fix first since I have 30 days to exchange or should I just take it back and try my luck on a new one? Or do I just get an F8500 instead?
post #545 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84

On my way to the dealer to purchase the ZT65

Hope I am not making a bad choice based on all the complaints about fan noise.

post #546 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Should I call for the fan fix first since I have 30 days to exchange or should I just take it back and try my luck on a new one? Or do I just get an F8500 instead?

I think you are wasting your time and the dealers money buy swapping it out. After reading the thread it seems the problem hasn't been mitigated at the factory. I'm still not happy with the noise after the repair was done.

It's silent without the back on, I almost want to just cut out the fan opening and put my own wider screen over the cut.
post #547 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitemikes View Post

I think you are wasting your time and the dealers money buy swapping it out. After reading the thread it seems the problem hasn't been mitigated at the factory. I'm still not happy with the noise after the repair was done.

It's silent without the back on, I almost want to just cut out the fan opening and put my own wider screen over the cut.

What's interesting is it seems the people with August or later sets don't have complaints. Is the repair "fix" exactly the same as what was changed on the August and later sets? That "fix" appears to have a better success rate than the "in-home" fix...
post #548 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM

I just received my TC-P65VT60 with a SEPTEMBER 2013 manufacture date.

I have buzzing from the set and I'm not certain if some if it related to this fan noise people talk about or it's just "plasma buzz". I am running D-Nice slides and the intensity of the buzzing varies with each slide color, white is the loudest.

Here is a 5 seconds recording I made with my phone. You will need to turn your speakers up a bit since the overall audio level of the recording is low.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5rlhrcjsmrmd8a/vt60_sept2013_noise1.m4a

I have a Panasonic 50" PZ800U that emits a very similar buzz at a similar volume but I never really paid attention to it. That set has 4 fans I believe, so not sure if it's "plasma buzz" or fan noise.

When looking at the BACK of the TV, this was recorded with Mic of the phone directly in front of the fan on the top right. The noise is actually louder when you listen to the vent immediately below the fan on the right side and even louder on the next lower vent. The left side fan (again, looking at the BACK of the set) also makes the buzzing noise, but it's not as bad as the other side.

The buzzing is much harder to hear from the front of the TV, and once you get 2-3 feet back you can't really hear it at all, and I don't hear any typical "fan moving air" noise either from that distance
As far as noise from moving air, there's really none that you can hear. The buzzing is louder. If you put your ear right up to the fan you hear it, but back a way a little and nothing.
post #549 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM

If its intensity varies based on the on-screen content, it is most definitely buzz. The fans/air movement generally drones on at a consistent pitch/volume. The buzzing is probably louder at the vents because sound waves travel through air more easily than they do plastic. tongue.gif
post #550 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

If its intensity varies based on the on-screen content, it is most definitely buzz. The fans/air movement gener
ally drones on at a consistent pitch/volume. The buzzing is probably louder at the vents because sound waves travel through air more easily than they do plastic. tongue.gif

... or metal.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #551 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM

New 60" ZT60 here, built April 2013. No fan noise whatsover, TV is on a stand about 12" from the wall. Cheers.
post #552 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
i just got off the phone with panasonic and i'm getting the run around because i wasn't in front of my tv. I guess you can't set up a repair ticket unless your in front of the tv. BS
post #553 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Don't let them give you the run around, they tried that with me. I was firm in telling them there was a fix for the issue and wanted my issue resolved.

It appears to me that this is a common issue. I'm assuming that because the TV repair company that was assigned my work order was able to come out in 1 day instead of the 7 days I was told it would take because they had the foam kit already in stock. That tells me they are doing a lot of repairs/fixes.
post #554 of 1508 Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance View Post

Don't let them give you the run around, they tried that with me. I was firm in telling them there was a fix for the issue and wanted my issue resolved.

It appears to me that this is a common issue. I'm assuming that because the TV repair company that was assigned my work order was able to come out in 1 day instead of the 7 days I was told it would take because they had the foam kit already in stock. That tells me they are doing a lot of repairs/fixes.

Did the "fix" fix your noise?
post #555 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 AM

I need to take mine back apart. I'm not convinced my repair was done right. I'm feeling very little air out of the back. The back is also hot to the touch. I'm thinking there is something to the fact that the noise is spread out over the back. I think he blocked the air flow. Unfortunately I wall mounted it and I can't ask my pregnant wife to assist.
post #556 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitemikes View Post

I need to take mine back apart. I'm not convinced my repair was done right. I'm feeling very little air out of the back. The back is also hot to the touch. I'm thinking there is something to the fact that the noise is spread out over the back. I think he blocked the air flow. Unfortunately I wall mounted it and I can't ask my pregnant wife to assist.

This is similar to mine in that one part of the panel in back is hot to the touch. Not in all places though and I still feel some air flow. I was actually thinking of having the fix un-done. How would one go about that without doing it yourself? Do you think Panasonic would send someone out to undo it?

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way the fix was perfomed on my set. I was watching everything that was happening and there really isn't anything inherant with the fix that can go wrong, just place the foam strips in the location detailed in the instructions. I do think the nature of the fix is to slow down the airflow so the air is not traveling through the vent holes at such a speed to create the noise.
post #557 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Did your fixes help a lot from a noise perspective?
post #558 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnzz001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I guess you guys are unfortunate. I do not hear anything from across the room.

Maybe it was that Van Halen concert in 1980 and you guys are actually fortunate to have better hearing than I?

Sammy - why are you here? This is a thread and forum for people a bit more knowledgeable than you, and who are a bit more demanding than you (as the AV equipment goes), I strongly suggest you also buy a cheaper LCD - will do just as good for you, I promise! And a pair of bookshelf speakers will do too...

Really?

post #559 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 542
^^ What did you do to get on their good side? Too funny and most likely jealous as I am that you don't have any fan noise.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #560 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Really?

jizz knows, he just got a 9,000 inch plasma!!!

If you don't want to go the bookshelf speakers route, just buy my sound bar!!! LOL

BTW, September build here, the fan noise on my VT60 is LOW. My VT50 has a bit more.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #561 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Did your fixes help a lot from a noise perspective?

The fan noise on mine was reduced quite a bit. So much so that I hear the buzzing more on brighter scenes ( ive posted about that before).
post #562 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

The fan noise on mine was reduced quite a bit. So much so that I hear the buzzing more on brighter scenes ( ive posted about that before).

yeah I posted my review previously about the fan fix not doing much for me but I am hearing the panel buzzing more nowadays. So either the fan noise went down with the fix or the panel buzz has increased. As for increasing the tech who installed the fan fix used a power screwdriver, thought I read that over tightening the screws can increase the panel buzz?
post #563 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

So stuck on what to do but the fan noise is unbearable. Hate to return my July set (local purchase) but I've only had it a couple of days so I have options. I know they are getting a new batch in so would probably get a newer one but wondering if I should call to have the fix done first?

I just feel like for the money spent I should be completely happy with it. Any opinions on what you would do in my shoes?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #564 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

So stuck on what to do but the fan noise is unbearable. Hate to return my July set (local purchase) but I've only had it a couple of days so I have options. I know they are getting a new batch in so would probably get a newer one but wondering if I should call to have the fix done first?

I just feel like for the money spent I should be completely happy with it. Any opinions on what you would do in my shoes?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would get the fan fix assuming your panel is otherwise perfect (no dead pixels, good uniformity, etc.). Everyone as much as we want a perfect display for the hard earned money we spent has to remember there isn't one. The more I live with the fan noise the more I adjust. Similar to my 5020 which buzzed. Maybe someday OLED or some other tech will finally make us all happy. Once my warranty stops I plan on popping off the back panel, cutting out the area around the fans with a Dremmel and then covering the "holes" with computer fan screens that some have used to reduce to try to reduce the noise. Being magnetic they just stick to the back.
My VT has to last for a while because I don't see OLED being financially viable for me anytime soon unless the lottery is in my future (I would want 65+ inches) and 4k LED is for the birds (sorry if I offended anyone).

P.S. Yes I admit I can't imagine having a LED as my primary display, thus that last comment wink.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #565 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I would get the fan fix assuming your panel is otherwise perfect (no dead pixels, good uniformity, etc.). Everyone as much as we want a perfect display for the hard earned money we spent has to remember there isn't one. The more I live with the fan noise the more I adjust. Similar to my 5020 which buzzed. Maybe someday OLED or some other tech will finally make us all happy. Once my warranty stops I plan on popping off the back panel, cutting out the area around the fans with a Dremmel and then covering the "holes" with computer fan screens that some have used to reduce to try to reduce the noise. Being magnetic they just stick to the back.
My VT has to last for a while because I don't see OLED being financially viable for me anytime soon unless the lottery is in my future (I would want 65+ inches) and 4k LED is for the birds (sorry if I offended anyone).

P.S. Yes I admit I can't imagine having a LED as my primary display, thus that last comment wink.gif

yep, planning on a ~84" 4K OLED being my 65VT60 replacement cool.gif
post #566 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

yeah I posted my review previously about the fan fix not doing much for me but I am hearing the panel buzzing more nowadays. So either the fan noise went down with the fix or the panel buzz has increased. As for increasing the tech who installed the fan fix used a power screwdriver, thought I read that over tightening the screws can increase the panel buzz?

The torque was set real low on the screwdriver the tech was using on my set. I'd say the tech really knew what he was doing - real knowledgable. I did go around and loosen up screws though to see if that would help the buzzing, it didn't though.

I firmly believe I notice the buzzing more now since my fans are quieter. I knew my panel buzzed before the fix, but didn't think much of it as my ears were more in tuned to the fan noise.
post #567 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input. Good point about there not being a perfect set...I could return it for one with quieter fans but end up with a couple of dead pixels or something...
post #568 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Has anyone actually tried the solution of cutting out the back panel area behind the fans? It seems like maybe it would work but the back panel with the openings behind the fans would not necessarily produce the same result acoustically as having the back panel off.
post #569 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroups View Post

Has anyone actually tried the solution of cutting out the back panel area behind the fans? It seems like maybe it would work but the back panel with the openings behind the fans would not necessarily produce the same result acoustically as having the back panel off.

I suggest you try that and let US know what you find/hear! wink.gif

I doubt you'll find anyone who's done that or willing to right now because all of these sets are less than one year old. Your warranty goes buh-bye if you dremel the back panel by the fans, if I understand your question correctly.
post #570 of 1508 Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I suggest you try that and let US know what you find/hear! wink.gif

I doubt you'll find anyone who's done that or willing to right now because all of these sets are less than one year old. Your warranty goes buh-bye if you dremel the back panel by the fans, if I understand your question correctly.

I would suggest reversing the bushings first - that virtually eliminates the noise.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page