Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers
fmalczewski's Avatar fmalczewski 11:39 PM 12-02-2013
Thanks KMFDMvsEnya, that picture will be worth a thousand words tomorrow. (Store I was at other day 1/4" was smallest I could find.)

vahighland's Avatar vahighland 06:42 AM 12-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

To those that will have the foam fix installed for them I highly recommend getting Neoprene washers, 5/32 in for the fan screws and having those applied in addition to Panasonic kit. Total count of six washers.

Best Regards
KvE
How much does this reduce the noise?
dobyblue's Avatar dobyblue 12:21 PM 12-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

wink.gif I have never "heard" a TV before like I have this ZT. It makes me long for the CRT frequency whine of yesteryear. tongue.gif

I have that in my head all day long, it's my tinnitus. Right around 12~14kHz and pretty friggin' loud, how I long to hear the sound of silence someday...but I guess that will be the day I die so I'm not that much looking forward to it. Last thing I hear before I fall asleep and the first thing when I wake up, damn ringing in my ears.
DeeJaa's Avatar DeeJaa 03:19 PM 12-03-2013

Just got my ZT60 and it looks like I have the fan noise problem. It's a July build date. Is there any way I can confirm whether the foam fix has been installed before I call Panasonic?  Not sure where to look for the serial exactly to compare it to the list.

In addition it seems to have a decent amount of buzz on the bright D-Nice slides. Is that normal? Wasn't expecting it I guess as I'm new to Plasma.

trab37's Avatar trab37 04:21 PM 12-03-2013
Just had mine delivered over the weekend and it appears to have the fix, it is an October build and I have not noticed anything so far. It appears most people notice it from the start especially if wall mounted(as mine is). Is this correct?
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 05:19 PM 12-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

I have that in my head all day long, it's my tinnitus. Right around 12~14kHz and pretty friggin' loud, how I long to hear the sound of silence someday...but I guess that will be the day I die so I'm not that much looking forward to it. Last thing I hear before I fall asleep and the first thing when I wake up, damn ringing in my ears.
I have it, too, but very minimal. There are ways to cope. I know a high-profile DJ/producer/musician in England who acquired it due to not being careful enough in his teens and 20s, and it nearly stopped him in his tracks in 2006. He found ways to cope, and apparently one surprisingly powerful way was to diminish the effect psychologically. Interesting stuff. A more annoying problem I have is hyperacusis (popping, clicking, and distortion whenever a certain decibel/frequency threshold is met).
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 05:42 PM 12-03-2013
Mine is a June build and no noise issues. Only time I hear the fans or any buzzing is if I am behind the set messing with my system.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 06:34 PM 12-03-2013
My 65VT60 is an April unit and the fan noise is just barely heard. The room has to be completely quiet, audio on mute, and then you have to listen very closely to barely hear anything. Not just to my ears, but other peoples' too. In other words, complete non-issue.
tim leonhardt's Avatar tim leonhardt 07:28 PM 12-03-2013
Same with my June build. Stick my head behind tv and hear normal fan "noise". Amazing TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

My 65VT60 is an April unit and the fan noise is just barely heard. The room has to be completely quiet, audio on mute, and then you have to listen very closely to barely hear anything. Not just to my ears, but other peoples' too. In other words, complete non-issue.

Goaz's Avatar Goaz 02:12 AM 12-04-2013

Hi guys,

I've noted the same nois issue as well, I bought my 55VT60 one week ago and it seems my unit is affected by the noise/buzz problem.

My question is: how do I figure out what is my unit manufacture's date? (year and month)?

As someone already posted I've note and increase of buzz/noise during burn in with Dnice's slides, is that nornal?

Many thanks in advance for your precious support.

Greetings.

whipit's Avatar whipit 05:34 AM 12-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaz View Post

Hi guys,

I've noted the same noise issue as well, I bought my 55VT60 one week ago and it seems my unit is affected by the noise/buzz problem.

My question is: how do I figure out what is my unit manufacture's date? (year and month)?

As someone already posted I've note and increase of buzz/noise during burn in with Dnice's slides, is that normal?

Many thanks in advance for your precious support.

Greetings.

There's a white sticker on the back that has the date. The more white content on the screen the more power it uses, so the buzzing won't be nearly as noticeable if at all when watching tv.
dobyblue's Avatar dobyblue 06:37 AM 12-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have it, too, but very minimal. There are ways to cope. I know a high-profile DJ/producer/musician in England who acquired it due to not being careful enough in his teens and 20s, and it nearly stopped him in his tracks in 2006. He found ways to cope, and apparently one surprisingly powerful way was to diminish the effect psychologically. Interesting stuff. A more annoying problem I have is hyperacusis (popping, clicking, and distortion whenever a certain decibel/frequency threshold is met).

Mine got worse this year because I took the wrong plugs to an Alice in Chains show, I thought they were fitting pretty good (was trying the smaller ER20s from Etymotic Research instead of the usual adult size I wear normally) but I had post-show tinnitus for three days. Oddly enough it was the same band back in 2009 that I forgot plugs for at a small club show that I think really was the final nail in the coffin as I've had it for four years now shortly after a September 2009 show. The F1 races without protection likely didn't help either. For the past four years I've been pretty diligent with ear plugs and some day when I've saved up $3,500 I'll try the TRT therapy as it has 80% success rate. I have the hyperacusis too, freaking weird. Sometimes talking on the phone my OPPOSITE ear will pop and click on certain frequencies and I have to turn the phone way down. Luckily most music listening isn't too bad, I have lots of 5.1 music on SACD/DVD-A and I find the surround sound is the best at enjoying music without the tinnitus being intrusive.

But I'm super sensitive to sounds, sometimes it will bug me that I can hear the disc spinning in my Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD while watching a Blu-ray, never really found the fan noise my PS3 makes to be intrusive though so maybe I won't notice the VT60 noise much? I'm trying to decide between the ST60 and VT60, for the same money I'll spend in Canada on an ST60 I could pop across the border and get a VT60. Just reading about the fan noise has me a little concerned. I'd also not have my warranty honored here if I buy in the US but a simple trip back across the border would solve that issue. Just when I thought the VT60 was the best TV I could probably buy, I've started reading about the damned fan noise. frown.gif
Terebi's Avatar Terebi 06:08 PM 12-04-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJaa View Post

Just got my ZT60 and it looks like I have the fan noise problem. It's a July build date. Is there any way I can confirm whether the foam fix has been installed before I call Panasonic?  Not sure where to look for the serial exactly to compare it to the list.

In addition it seems to have a decent amount of buzz on the bright D-Nice slides. Is that normal? Wasn't expecting it I guess as I'm new to Plasma.

I'm new to plasma too but apparently the buzz on bright screens is normal for plasmas. I have never noticed it during movies though.

On mine, the grill for the fan on the right side extends beyond the square of the fan and you can see the foam against the grill. Take a flashlight and hold it right up against the fan grill, staying within the foam border. If you see light streaming out on the other side past the fan, then there's no foam on the underside blocking it, and therefore no foam fix. Then again you're July build so you know the answer already.
cs225b's Avatar cs225b 12:35 PM 12-05-2013

To significantly reduce and/or get rid of the annoying "Plasma Buzz", I suggest plugging the TV directly into the wall power outlet, and NOT plugging it into a surge protector, power strip or power conditioner of any kind.  This will significantly reduce, or eliminate altogether the noticeable and annoying Plasma Buzz coming through your TV panel.  Try it if you don't believe me, it does work.  Just make sure that you have a good warranty in place, just in case you get a power spike through the TV.    :)

cs225b's Avatar cs225b 01:18 PM 12-05-2013

I also bought these two CPU fan covers off of Ebay, which are magnetic and when placed over the two rear fans one on the left and one on the right, will greatly reduce the fan whirling/whining sound coming from the back of the TV.

New SilverStone FF123B 120mm Ultra Fine Fan Filter w/ Magnet (Black)

mgroups's Avatar mgroups 06:45 PM 12-05-2013
Would someone please tell me whether the holes for a mounting bracket are recessed inward from the surface of the back of the 65VT60 and, if so, by how much? I have a delivery Monday and I need to have the bracket, screws and any spacers ready to go, using an existing mount.

Also, can you confirm that the screws for 65VT60 are M8 and how deep they should be go beyond the face of the back panel? The manual says they should penetrate is .67" minimum and .91" maximum, but it shows no recess and the photos appear as though there is a recess.
denaliman's Avatar denaliman 07:08 PM 12-05-2013
No recess on mounting holes. M8 thread. The M8 ones that came with my Sanus mount were too short and other too long. I had some other M8 laying around that were slightly longer than the 17mm so I used them. I don't recall the exact length.Thread length 40mm is too long and 17mm is too short those were my choices with the Sanus.. The ones I ended up using were probably in the 23-25mm range.Go to HD or Lowes and pick up a couple different lengths to be safe, they are not expensive.
mgroups's Avatar mgroups 07:25 PM 12-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post

No recess on mounting holes. M8 thread. The M8 ones that came with my Sanus mount were too short and other too long. I had some other M8 laying around that were slightly longer than the 17mm so I used them. I don't recall the exact length.Thread length 40mm is too long and 17mm is too short those were my choices with the Sanus.. The ones I ended up using were probably in the 23-25mm range.Go to HD or Lowes and pick up a couple different lengths to be safe, they are not expensive.
Thanks! I ordered 4 M8 x 30mm and I have a stack of washers.
denaliman's Avatar denaliman 09:00 PM 12-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs225b View Post

I also bought these two CPU fan covers off of Ebay, which are magnetic and when placed over the two rear fans one on the left and one on the right, will greatly reduce the fan whirling/whining sound coming from the back of the TV.

Did you have the foam fix on your unit and this reduces it even more?
mgroups's Avatar mgroups 10:00 PM 12-05-2013
I would be interested in some opinions of owners of the TVs with the fan/fridge noise on where you think the sound is mainly coming directly from, i.e. the immediate source of the noise as opposed to the root cause.
  • Vibration of the back panel?
  • The whir or vibration of the fans?
  • Air moving through the vents in front of the fans?
  • Air being pulled through the vents by the fans?
  • Any others?

p3Orion's Avatar p3Orion 12:49 AM 12-06-2013
I received my 60VT60 and can hear the fan noise. It competes with the buzzing noise. Placing my hand over the vents reduces the noise significantly. My VT60 is a June build.
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 07:03 AM 12-06-2013
Quote:

Having bought two of these and initially hoping that they did reduce the noise, these filters do absolutely nothing to reduce the noise. Don't waste your $15 unless you need them for your computer or some other device.
RichB's Avatar RichB 07:46 AM 12-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroups View Post

I would be interested in some opinions of owners of the TVs with the fan/fridge noise on where you think the sound is mainly coming directly from, i.e. the immediate source of the noise as opposed to the root cause.
  • Vibration of the back panel?
  • The whir or vibration of the fans?
  • Air moving through the vents in front of the fans?
  • Air being pulled through the vents by the fans?
  • Any others?

I had the service tech come in and do the foam repair.
With the cover off they were extremely quiet.

So my guess is a combination of the whir and vibration that occurs when the fans are restricted by the vents and air blowing through the vents.
The service repair seems to stabilize the fans and reduce the oscillation of the fan noise.

- Rich
vahighland's Avatar vahighland 08:46 AM 12-06-2013
Quote:

To significantly reduce and/or get rid of the annoying "Plasma Buzz", I suggest plugging the TV directly into the wall power outlet, and NOT plugging it into a surge protector, power strip or power conditioner of any kind.  This will significantly reduce, or eliminate altogether the noticeable and annoying Plasma Buzz coming through your TV panel.  Try it if you don't believe me, it does work.  Just make sure that you have a good warranty in place, just in case you get a power spike through the TV.    smile.gif
I have tried plugging it directly into the wall to a dedicated circuit (actually, I tried two different wall outlets on two different circuits) and to the surge protector. No difference, still buzzes at the same level.
FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 10:51 AM 12-06-2013
Just received my 65VT60.

Ser # MK311500xx.

April build... must've been at the back of the warehouse (ABT sells a lot of these sets). wink.gif

Silent at first turn on, noise came on after about a minute..

Most definitely annoying and audible from my seating position.

Called Panasonic and have a tech coming next Friday.. no hassles.

I also ordered washers as per the above suggestions..

Figured with the foam and washers I'll be better off with the fix than a newer build unit....

We shall see....
tim leonhardt's Avatar tim leonhardt 11:15 AM 12-06-2013
April? Check number of hours run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Just received my 65VT60.

Ser # MK311500xx.

April build... must've been at the back of the warehouse (ABT sells a lot of these sets). wink.gif

Silent at first turn on, noise came on after about a minute..

Most definitely annoying and audible from my seating position.

Called Panasonic and have a tech coming next Friday.. no hassles.

I also ordered washers as per the above suggestions..

Figured with the foam and washers I'll be better off with the fix than a newer build unit....

We shall see....

FilmMixer's Avatar FilmMixer 11:26 AM 12-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim leonhardt View Post

April? Check number of hours run.

The set is brand new, if that's what your inferring. I've no doubt of that by the condition it arrived in.

The power cycle count and hours confirm this.
p3Orion's Avatar p3Orion 12:28 PM 12-06-2013
The frustrating part for me is that aside from the fan noise, and to a lesser extent the buzzing, the panel seems fine. I've come to accept that I will hear buzzing. I heard the same level of buzzing on the two ST50s I had briefly last year. I have a 2006 Panasonic 429UK that also has buzzing, just not as loud. Our 2008 Panasonic plasma is quiet, unless you put your ear to the back. Whatever the reason - my hearing acuity, room acoustics, etc - I can hear the buzzing with these newer plasmas.

As far as the fan noise, my 429UK has two fans with nearly the same hole pattern and they are quiet. I only hear them when the TV is first powered on and if I put my ear right up to them. Disappointing. The in house fan fix seems hit or miss, mostly miss from what I've gathered. Still undecided if I want to go through the hassle of setting up a replacement with Amazon. Who knows what build date I'll get.
cs225b's Avatar cs225b 01:44 PM 12-06-2013

June build, no foam fix.

p3Orion's Avatar p3Orion 01:56 PM 12-06-2013
What do you guys think is the likelihood that a VT60 with the fan fix done at the factory will not have the excessive fan noise? Does this (factory) fan fix reduce the effectiveness of the fans, potentially causing overheating issues, such as the two yellow spots on screen where the fans are located (an issue I came across reported by some VT50 owners, which has less powerful fans)?
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop