Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1454 Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

OK I'm done I can't take the noise, tried to craft a diffuser and still too much noise. One lesson I learned is never buy from BB online, they can not do exchanges and even getting them to return it is a pain in the ass. Looks like I might just put the VT50 back up and hold out for OLED in a few years. Funny thing is I paod $2899 from BB online and the store won;t even touch that price now.

Are you talking about Bestbuy? They should swap it out for you, and set it up for a in home return. So they will go ahead and order a new one, and have it delivered, and then at the same time pick up the old one. If they are not willing to do that go to a different BB store, or call the GM of the store. That was pretty much company policy, when I was working for them. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yes Best Buy, the problem is I ordered it from their web site and the stores can not even see those orders. After 6 calls I finally talked to a supervisor for online sales and they figured out how to do an exchange, so I will try one more panel, if it has the fix then I will see how it works out, otherwise they can take them both back and I will stick with my VT50. I have some ideas for some mods similar to the plunger cups seen on German site and also a diverted that will run along the back to keep the sound and air pushed out to the sides. I was also thinking of putting some acoustical foam along the back as well.
post #723 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

OK I'm done I can't take the noise, tried to craft a diffuser and still too much noise. One lesson I learned is never buy from BB online, they can not do exchanges and even getting them to return it is a pain in the ass. Looks like I might just put the VT50 back up and hold out for OLED in a few years. Funny thing is I paod $2899 from BB online and the store won;t even touch that price now.

I had to return mine also, that type of noise really annoys me, even in the week I had it waiting for BB to pick it up I got to the point where I just left it off, was not worth it to me. My guess is that it would take a pretty radical approach to actually fix it.

I know it is sacrilege to use the "S" word in this thread but if you have not checked it out you might take a look at the Samsung F8500, it had been my second choice, I had owned pani plasma's for years and never had an issue, last one had 4 fans in it and I never heard them in the 4 years I used it. Unless you plan a pro-tune and only watch Blu-Ray in ideal or near ideal lighting then the F8500 is well worth a look.

The 64F8500 with me had several challenges, I absolutely loved the picture on the 65ZT60, I have had pani's for a very long time, and I was still mad about the pani not working out and took it out mentally on the Samsung.

The F8500 did not come out of the box nearly as good as the ZT60, I put a by-eye tune on it with DVE and WOW, and wow was appropriate, I think I literally said, wow smile.gif While this black levels are truly impressive (even if not as good as the ZT60), it was the whites that first caught my eye, this thing put out near LCD/LED quality white, watch part of a hockey game and have not seen ice like that since tube days.

In our home 90% of the viewing is HD content from Cable TV and the room is lit enough to comfortably read in and in these conditions I have to say the F8500 is actually better in my opinion than the ZT60 was, especially with reflections off the screen and color depth, colors seem more vibrant, natural in this lighting.

I am glad I did not wait for OLED, I think it is still a few years our for my size and price point and the picture quality difference is well worth it, I had a pani 50" so moved up in size to 64" and 5 years newer. I would not upgrade to get "smart" features, you can get ,most of them on any Blu-ray player for under 150 bucks and the rest are not worth it.
post #724 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivie View Post

I contacted Panasonic support on Saturday and spent just 18 minutes on the phone supplying the CSR with information. She was very kind and professional and only made me turn the TV and all devices off and on once before making an appointment for me with a local TV repair shop. I received a call several hours later from the owner of the repair shop asking if they could come out much sooner. He was familiar with the fix and said it should take them about 20 minutes. They'll be here tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.

Edited to add: I also picked up the 5/32 neoprene washers from Home Depot and intend to ask the tech to install them on the fan screws. Hopefully he or she will be okay doing so.

The TV tech just left after applying the foam fix. He had no problem with installing the neoprene washers either. The fix has made a very significant difference for me. The fan noise is not noticeable from a few feet away. I'm very satisfied with the results.
dobyblue likes this.

Panasonic 50PHD8UK
Ascend CMT-340s & HTM-200s
PS3
HK AVR-635
APC H15 Power Conditioner
SA 8300HD (Cox)
Salamander Triple 20
post #725 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:

The TV tech just left after applying the foam fix. He had no problem with installing the neoprene washers either. The fix has made a very significant difference for me. The fan noise is not noticeable from a few feet away. I'm very satisfied with the results.

Great news. I think I shall copy you.
post #726 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Do you know if the tech reversed the rubber bushings? I know some people had it done and it significantly reduced the noise, but the TV generated more heat. They had them put back the original way and the noise returned.

Reading this thread, there was a v1 fix that was just the foam strips, then a v2 fix that included reversing the rubber bushings. I'm not sure if the v2 is now standard, or if it is something you have to ask for. I don't want the rubber bushings reversed due to the risk of increased heat output causing issues.
post #727 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I had to return mine also, that type of noise really annoys me, even in the week I had it waiting for BB to pick it up I got to the point where I just left it off, was not worth it to me. My guess is that it would take a pretty radical approach to actually fix it.

I know it is sacrilege to use the "S" word in this thread but if you have not checked it out you might take a look at the Samsung F8500, it had been my second choice, I had owned pani plasma's for years and never had an issue, last one had 4 fans in it and I never heard them in the 4 years I used it. Unless you plan a pro-tune and only watch Blu-Ray in ideal or near ideal lighting then the F8500 is well worth a look.

The 64F8500 with me had several challenges, I absolutely loved the picture on the 65ZT60, I have had pani's for a very long time, and I was still mad about the pani not working out and took it out mentally on the Samsung.

The F8500 did not come out of the box nearly as good as the ZT60, I put a by-eye tune on it with DVE and WOW, and wow was appropriate, I think I literally said, wow smile.gif While this black levels are truly impressive (even if not as good as the ZT60), it was the whites that first caught my eye, this thing put out near LCD/LED quality white, watch part of a hockey game and have not seen ice like that since tube days.

In our home 90% of the viewing is HD content from Cable TV and the room is lit enough to comfortably read in and in these conditions I have to say the F8500 is actually better in my opinion than the ZT60 was, especially with reflections off the screen and color depth, colors seem more vibrant, natural in this lighting.

I am glad I did not wait for OLED, I think it is still a few years our for my size and price point and the picture quality difference is well worth it, I had a pani 50" so moved up in size to 64" and 5 years newer. I would not upgrade to get "smart" features, you can get ,most of them on any Blu-ray player for under 150 bucks and the rest are not worth it.

I will think about Samsung in the future if they get to the levels that the ZT60 is today. I am actually not in need of a TV, my VT50 is perfect, but I wanted to get the last of the great Panny Plasmas since OLED is still a way off. If Samsung can do ZT60 equivalent picture in the next year or so I may do that, but this is more a luxury buy so I can live with my VT50. I just got back from Home Depot to try a few experiments, if they fail BB finally figured out how to exchange the TV, but if they show up with a pref August build they can take them both back with them.
post #728 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

OK I did 2 experiments today. First experiment was to use roof vents $5 each. I attached them with double stick tape for the experiment.

Second experiment was to buy 2 $3 plungers at Home Dept and cut the ends off them.

These were rush tests to see if either had promise. The roof vent cut down the noise noticabley and my guess is if I lined the inside with felt or foam it would diffuse the noise substantially more as the inside is very smooth and solid so the noise does not get absorbed as much, but still made it hard to hear the fans from my seating area.

The second test hold far more promise and I got the idea from the German posting referenced in this thread. This solution made a huge difference. I had to struggle to hear the noise from my seat. These were quick tests and I will use the plunger set up tonight to see how it is in real use. My guess is if the set had the fix and I added the plunger fix then this would be acceptable. If BB brings another July panel I may keep this one and consider opening the back of the set to add the fix and then add the plungers and see how it goes. The real test will be after hours of the set running at full temperature for some time. I ran these tests after an hour of the slides running in vivid to heat the panel up, but the room was a few degrees cooler than normal peak room temperature. Without anything when watching TV and I hit the 30 sec jump a few times on the DVR the fan noise was very pronounced, so tonight we'll see if I can detect the fans.

I did pick up a 12 pack of these web filters for $3 with the thought of lining the inside of the roof vents to help maybe cancel out the noise a bit.

These were quick and dirty ideas to see what improvements can be made without swapping the set out or opening it up. I will update everyone after more tests.
RichB and Vermithrax like this.
post #729 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Do you know if the tech reversed the rubber bushings? I know some people had it done and it significantly reduced the noise, but the TV generated more heat. They had them put back the original way and the noise returned.

Reading this thread, there was a v1 fix that was just the foam strips, then a v2 fix that included reversing the rubber bushings. I'm not sure if the v2 is now standard, or if it is something you have to ask for. I don't want the rubber bushings reversed due to the risk of increased heat output causing issues.

The tech did not reverse the bushings on my install...no mention of it in the instructions he had.. he handed the fans to me and I put the neoprene washers on then handed them back and he reinstalled them.

Panasonic 50PHD8UK
Ascend CMT-340s & HTM-200s
PS3
HK AVR-635
APC H15 Power Conditioner
SA 8300HD (Cox)
Salamander Triple 20
post #730 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Solved my hum issue, it was coming from the Isolator surge protector I had the TV plugged into. I plugged the TV directly into the wall, the same outlet the surge protector is plugged into, no more obnoxious and terribly annoying noise. TV now makes the same amount of noise as my ST30.

Bill
post #731 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Solved my hum issue, it was coming from the Isolator surge protector I had the TV plugged into. I plugged the TV directly into the wall, the same outlet the surge protector is plugged into, no more obnoxious and terribly annoying noise. TV now makes the same amount of noise as my ST30.

Bill

I had the same issue when my ZT was plugged into a Voltage Stabilizer AVS 2000.
post #732 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post

I had the same issue when my ZT was plugged into a Voltage Stabilizer AVS 2000.

It was unbearable on bright scenes, especially after a dark scene.

Bill
post #733 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The tech came earlier today and installed the fan fix. Very friendly lady who was enthusiastic about Panasonic plasmas. I watched her install the kit and she had no issue with installing the neoprene washers.

The fan fix reduced the noise by around 50%. I can still hear it from my seated position in a relatively quiet room with volume at 0. I just finished watching the opening scene of "Toy Story 3" and with volume set to 10 I couldn't hear it unless there were no sounds. I think now I am hyper-aware of it so I am actively listening for it. Once I've had the VT60 for a while I hope that it's a non-issue.
post #734 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so I have had my plunger fix for a few hours and the room and panel are at normal temps and have to say I still hear noise. Not as bad and as p3Orinon mentions I am hyper-aware now. It is much better, but still when I DVR advance I can hear it with no sounds from TV. I am going to try a few other things tomorrow and cross my fingers that the panel BB bring Friday has the fix so maybe the plunger add on will quiet this down. Still baffled how my VT50 can be silent and the ZT60 so noisey.
post #735 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

What intrigues me is what exactly is different with their VT60/ZT60 that some people don't hear the fan noise even without the fan fix kit installed. It can't be just room acoustics and hearing ability.
post #736 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the fans are all sourced from same company? Of maybe some harmonic vibration of the fan with the surrounding chassis?
post #737 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Bill

So was the hum coming from the surge protector, or was the surge protector causing the TV to hum? In my case the TV itself was humming (you could feel the rear vibrating near the power plug). But if it is as simple as plugging the TV directly into the wall, that is a pretty simple fix. I am a bit uncomfortable doing without any surge protection, but if that is what it takes, then oh well, extended warranty here I come.

"Why we getting new washer?", my 3 yr old daughter Riley upon seeing our new FV15HP.
"He blowed up." Riley watching Looney Tunes.
post #738 of 1454 Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermithrax View Post

So was the hum coming from the surge protector, or was the surge protector causing the TV to hum? In my case the TV itself was humming (you could feel the rear vibrating near the power plug). But if it is as simple as plugging the TV directly into the wall, that is a pretty simple fix. I am a bit uncomfortable doing without any surge protection, but if that is what it takes, then oh well, extended warranty here I come.

Both were humming, but only when the tv was plugged in. The only reason I even decided to check was that I went into the basemnt to unplug it and noticed the cord was actually warm, this prompted me to try a higher gauge cord which I just plugged into the wall by the TV. I then grabbed a normal cord and tried that also to the wall and no noise. I know the cord going to the basement was good as it was powering my 50G10 I replaced.

I will eventually dig out one of the 15' cords I have and try it going to one of my APC 1500's.

Bill
post #739 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone actually tried replacing the fans or do most 120mm fans not fit? Is the connection on the end proprietary?
post #740 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

What intrigues me is what exactly is different with their VT60/ZT60 that some people don't hear the fan noise even without the fan fix kit installed. It can't be just room acoustics and hearing ability.

I would say this is exactly what the difference is. Room acoustics vary greatly, but there is even greater variation (imo) in the subjective measures of "noticing it". I think this is much more likely than inherent differences in "fixed" sets. It's like anything else, if you are aware of an imperfection, then you constantly notice it....
post #741 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 AM

55VT60 here, purchased from Paul's TV (Internet) a few weeks ago, July build date. Have some fan noise, most likely going to call the Panny number and get them to come out and do the fix. Probably go for the H.D. washers as well.
post #742 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Has anyone actually tried replacing the fans or do most 120mm fans not fit? Is the connection on the end proprietary?

The mount holes are not in the standard places. I thought about doing it but didn't want to build a bracket for them.

The holes are in a triangular pattern instead of the four corners like most PC fans are built for. The fans themselves are 80mm but the casing is larger than normal, it is very strange.
post #743 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sons of bastiches!
post #744 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM

I had the foam fix done and was still having more fan noise than I thought was appropriate so it was time to get building. Hit the craft store for some cork board, magnet strips and other goodies. After some quick experimenting of completely smothering each of the exhaust fan ports with the cork board for a few seconds I found it was the right fan when viewing the TV from the rear that was making all the noise, covering the other fans had virtually no effect on the noise. So I cut a piece of cork board a bit bigger than the vent hole, made 1/2" standoffs with some cardboard strips so it could still breath and attached it with some magnet strips, it improved the noise by quite a bit. Spray painted the thing black and you can barely notice it on the back of the tv now.
post #745 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

HasI have been debating this myself. I was wond anyone actually tried replacing the fans or do most 120mm fans not fit? Is the connection on the end proprietary?

I have been contemplating this myself. I am wondering what voltage the stock fans are and I was going to find some adapter to adapter a 120/140mm fan to say a 80mm fan opening and mount aht on the outside then disable the stock fan. other options would be to find 4 80mm quieter fans and mount them on the outside over where the 2 current fans are and then the vents along the back center. I want to wait and see what BB brings me Friday and then will decide what I am willing to try.
post #746 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbobo19 View Post

I had the foam fix done and was still having more fan noise than I thought was appropriate so it was time to get building. Hit the craft store for some cork board, magnet strips and other goodies. After some quick experimenting of completing smothering each of the exhaust fan ports with the cork board for a few seconds I found it was the right fan when viewing the TV from the rear that was making all the noise, covering the other fans had virtually no effect on noise. So I cut a piece of cork board a bit bigger then the vent hole, made 1/2" standoffs with some cardboard strips so it could still breath and attached it with some magnet strips, it improved the noise by quite a bit. Spray painted the thing black and you can barely notice it on the back of the tv now.

Picture please!
post #747 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM

I will post some tonight after I get home.
post #748 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

OK next round of experiments begins. Since I am fixated on plungers and my Home Depot is going to run out after I'm done, I wanted to try one my test. I got 2 more plungers, but instead of cutting them down I drilled them out. This way the opening is smaller and more directional. Will need a few hours for panel and room to warm up, but will know tonight, the other advantage to this is I can attach tube to direct the air and nose away if I feel it is bouncing off the back wall. TV sits on a stand about 10-15 inches from the wall.

Also exploring doing something like this on the outside:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261283958914?lpid=82
or on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92mm-120mm-Converter/dp/B002C7IQ1O

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
post #749 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11
Kluken, please post fotos of the faces of the Home Depot employees next tike you walk out with two plungers....betcha started some serious gossip. 'What does he do with all these plungers? Should we call the police?"
post #750 of 1454 Old 12-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

OK next round of experiments begins. Since I am fixated on plungers and my Home Depot is going to run out after I'm done, I wanted to try one my test. I got 2 more plungers, but instead of cutting them down I drilled them out. This way the opening is smaller and more directional. Will need a few hours for panel and room to warm up, but will know tonight, the other advantage to this is I can attach tube to direct the air and nose away if I feel it is bouncing off the back wall. TV sits on a stand about 10-15 inches from the wall.

Also exploring doing something like this on the outside:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261283958914?lpid=82
or on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-80mm-92mm-120mm-Converter/dp/B002C7IQ1O

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

The smaller you make the hole, the more back pressure you put on the fan. Not really a good idea. Your opening area should be at least as big as the sum of the vent holes you're covering with the plunger. Also keep in mind you're helping to retain heat inside the plunger rather than directly venting it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page