Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt08 View Post

I just got the 65VT60 from Amazon with the Sep 2013 build date. When turning it on, I could barely hear the fan when putting my ear close to the back of the TV. Do I need to leave it
on and watch it for few hours if there is any fan noise problem with this TV or not? Or it should be noticeable immediately? TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebi View Post

If you had a fan noise problem you'd know it two seconds after you turned on the TV.

Yep, once you know what you should be listening for you will start hearing it immediately after you turn the TV on. There is no need for the TV to warm up for it to produce the nasty fan noise, if it suffers from it. Hopefully yours does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCannon View Post

Getting the fix installed right at this moment. Long as I get some reduction in noise I think I'll be able to live with it. as I'm slowly able to tune it out somewhat unless the TV is silent.

Are they reversing the rubber bushings?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The bushings should not be reversed it will negatively impact airflow.

Best thing is to add the rubber washers to the screw heads then reapply the bushings to the screws.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

If you have a ZT, make sure you don't let the service tech leave until you have both inspected the entire perimeter of the back panel where it meets the bezel. It should be well tucked in and therefore there should be NO BUMPS. If you do have bumps, the back of the TV should be adjusted to get rid of them even if that means taking off the back completely and re-installing it. If you don't, your TV might become a victim of the dreaded microfracture/delamination phenomenon somwhere down the line.

So the microfracture issue isn't really an issue with the VT compared to the ZT?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

Are they reversing the rubber bushings?

Pretty sure they just did the foam pieces. Didn't even wait for me to power on the unit to see if the fix made a difference, just told me it should be less noisy. Turned in on and it seemed like it was a big difference but I think that was just me hoping it was better. After listening for a bit It does seem to be slightly quieter and less of the pulsing sound more of a fan sound which is better than it was at least but not as big of a difference I had hoped for. If i put my hand on the back where the fan grill is and just sort of hold a slight pressure the noise really goes away I'm not blocking the air flow but just keeping the grill pressed down.

I always have a plan.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

The bushings should not be reversed it will negatively impact airflow.

Best thing is to add the rubber washers to the screw heads then reapply the bushings to the screws.

Best Regards
KvE

I thought someone said Panasonic was reversing them a while back? So the official fan fix is just the 4 foam strips?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I thought someone said Panasonic was reversing them a while back? So the official fan fix is just the 4 foam strips?

Yes, that was a while back. And then a while not so back, they said not to.

There was some mention also of replacing screws. It would be interesting to hear if that is consistently being done with the recent fan fixes.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:

There is a part 2 to the fix now I think, the one where they put neoprene washers I think between the screw head and the fan body. It is somewhere in this thread.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

There is a part 2 to the fix now I think, the one where they put neoprene washers I think between the screw head and the fan body. It is somewhere in this thread.

The neoprene washers were suggested by an AVS forum member. They are not part of the official Panasonic fix. The tech who installed the fan fix on my TV had no problem with using the neoprene washers that I provided, though she said they wouldn't help.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
OK so I have my new 65VT60 with October build that has the foam fix, but I can still hear the fans at 13ft sitting distance when there is silent scenes. Is it tolerable, probably, am I anal and OCD about it, YES. When the scene is silent I want silence. So I went back to my plunger fix, but made a modification. Someone posted that rubber and PVC should not be in contact with the TV. So I had some roll based magnet from craft store and my 3M 20 lb. double stick tape. I cut 4 pieces of magnet strip and used the stronger 3M tape to adhere the magnet to the plunger then just let the magnet hold the plunger in place on the back of the TV. I can put them on/off is seconds and it leave nothing (no mark or tape residue) on the back panel since the magnet is doing all the work, also the magnet is what is touching the TV not the rubber. The hole in the plunger is big enough to not create any back pressure and the rubber cone shape I believe is what kills the sound. I can not hear the fans at all now, my guess if I really make the room dead silent in the middle of the night with no ambient noise then I might hear them, but even standing next to TV it is very difficult to pick the noise out. I like this better than the TGV on the UK forums as they I believe create a lot of back pressure on the fans.

chillspace likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
kluken, thank you for your time and effort. I'm doing this, hopefully soon. The only modification I can see myself doing is trimming the magnets and tape so that they don't hang out as far.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

^^^
kluken, thank you for your time and effort. I'm doing this, hopefully soon. The only modification I can see myself doing is trimming the magnets and tape so that they don't hang out as far.

I may do that as well, but wanted to make sure as much magnet is there as possible to make sure it holds. No one can see behind my set anyway so I am not overly concerned. I still have some ideas about how to attach the 120mm 5V fans I have I figure more airflow means better cooling.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:

The neoprene washers were suggested by an AVS forum member. They are not part of the official Panasonic fix. The tech who installed the fan fix on my TV had no problem with using the neoprene washers that I provided, though she said they wouldn't help.

Well perhaps I have the detail wrong but I am sure someone was talking about a second fix from Pani, part number and all back a ways, last week some time?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well perhaps I have the detail wrong but I am sure someone was talking about a second fix from Pani, part number and all back a ways, last week some time?

I thought I saw the same, but thought it was just a new fan without the foam that goes between it and the back cover.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

So the microfracture issue isn't really an issue with the VT compared to the ZT?

The microfractures have been observed on ZTs only up to this point, probably due to the way the front glass and PDP are bonded. I'd still make sure the back is attached properly on any of them regardless. Assuming you've already had it done, that is.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are the "official" Panasonic fixes that have been mentioned:

1. Panasonic fix #1, which is applying the foam strips behind the fans. This is the fix that Panasonic continues to do.
2. Panasonic fix #2, which included the foam fan fix plus reversing the rubber bushings. I don't know if this was an official fix that came from Panasonic, but a few people had it done. Reports of the back panel getting hotter is most likely why this fix is no longer done.
3. Panasonic fix #2, which is replacing the fans (possibly without the foam around all four sides) if the foam strips alone don't work. This is the most recent fix mentioned.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:

These are the "official" Panasonic fixes that have been mentioned:

1. Panasonic fix #1, which is applying the foam strips behind the fans. This is the fix that Panasonic continues to do.
2. Panasonic fix #2, which included the foam fan fix plus reversing the rubber bushings. I don't know if this was an official fix that came from Panasonic, but a few people had it done. Reports of the back panel getting hotter is most likely why this fix is no longer done.
3. Panasonic fix #2, which is replacing the fans (possibly without the foam around all four sides) if the foam strips alone don't work. This is the most recent fix mentioned.

It was number 3 I was thinking about, I mixed it up with the washer one. I think I would try to insist on it.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

OK so I have my new 65VT60 with October build that has the foam fix, but I can still hear the fans at 13ft sitting distance when there is silent scenes. Is it tolerable, probably, am I anal and OCD about it, YES. When the scene is silent I want silence. So I went back to my plunger fix, but made a modification. Someone posted that rubber and PVC should not be in contact with the TV. So I had some roll based magnet from craft store and my 3M 20 lb. double stick tape. I cut 4 pieces of magnet strip and used the stronger 3M tape to adhere the magnet to the plunger then just let the magnet hold the plunger in place on the back of the TV. I can put them on/off is seconds and it leave nothing (no mark or tape residue) on the back panel since the magnet is doing all the work, also the magnet is what is touching the TV not the rubber. The hole in the plunger is big enough to not create any back pressure and the rubber cone shape I believe is what kills the sound. I can not hear the fans at all now, my guess if I really make the room dead silent in the middle of the night with no ambient noise then I might hear them, but even standing next to TV it is very difficult to pick the noise out. I like this better than the TGV on the UK forums as they I believe create a lot of back pressure on the fans.

What's the reason rubber and PVC should not come in contact with the TV?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

What's the reason rubber and PVC should not come in contact with the TV?

Not sure, my guess is the heat will deteriorate the rubber/PVC and or have a reaction with the back panel metal when it heats up.
Donat76 likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

There are no reports of microfractures on the VT that I know of. As mentioned above, the microfractures on the ZT are most probably secondary to the unique method of bonding the glass panel, a technique not used in the VT. Also as mentioned, this does not mean that it's OK to reinstall the TV back panel in a sloppy fashion on a VT model as no one knows what it could cause on the long run. I would make sure the back fits properly on the TV, with no bumps regardless of the model.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see how the VT60 would get fractures, the ZT60 it surely looks like it is pressure form the back panel not being correctly installed and when you look close there are no fractures in the glass, it looks like veins developing as the pressure of the glass is be separated from the panel and the adhesive is letting go. The pixels are fine they are distorted by the veins in the space between the glass and the panel. Since the VT has a gap between the glass an the panel I do not see how this would happen.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I just received my 60ZT60 from Best Buy.

Serial # MJ3303xxxx

Build: October 2013

A16422

Inspected For Fan Fix and Back Cover Alignment and evidence of Micro-Fractures...Completed at factory!!!!

Happy to report that I found no issues.

Plasma is completely silent.

Wishing good luck to those who are waiting for their Plasmas.

Dave.

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got my 65 inch from Amazon today. September build. fan noise is unacceptable. from reading this thread I get the impression fan noise persists even after fix so I'm not going to waste my time contacting Panasonic. instead ill cut the fan grills out grills out
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I don't see how the VT60 would get fractures, the ZT60 it surely looks like it is pressure form the back panel not being correctly installed and when you look close there are no fractures in the glass, it looks like veins developing as the pressure of the glass is be separated from the panel and the adhesive is letting go. The pixels are fine they are distorted by the veins in the space between the glass and the panel. Since the VT has a gap between the glass an the panel I do not see how this would happen.

This is a perfect explanation of what is happening. The glass itself (nor the panel) is not what's cracking/crinkling, rather it is whatever is bonded to the back of the glass. I'm still of the belief that it is the color filter or antiglare layer. It actually looks like cracked foil of somekind sandwiched between the front sheet of glass and the panel itself. As my service guys explained to me, if the pixels are still lighting, the panel itself can't be cracked. And the front sheet of glass is certainly not cracked either. If you look from the side, you will see the crack lines are BEHIND the glass surface.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM

I am getting the fan fix next week and had a question. Are they able to do the repair while leaving the tv on the stand or does it have to be laid down? I have a 65VT60.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am getting the fan fix next week and had a question. Are they able to do the repair while leaving the tv on the stand or does it have to be laid down? I have a 65VT60.

TV can stay on stand, it is like a billion screws ;-) or just felt like it. If you have a ZT make sure the back panel slips back under the back bezel lip or you will eventually get micro fractures.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Just got my 60" ZT60? It seems to be quiet only a low fan noise! It was built in July 2013 was the fix installed then at the factory? I only have an hour on it, so how long do you think it takes?

Also how can I play a Blu ray movie to loop all the time, I am using Pixar movies to breaking the panel
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
No, the fan fix shouldn't be installed on yours. It will be obvious from the beginning if the noise is more than you can bear, so good news on that front.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 154
Quote:

I am getting the fan kit installed on Friday for my 65VT60. Took a while to get and acceptable a date primarily because of my schedule.

The tech said that he would not remove the back cover, perform the fix, and replace the cover while the TV is upright. He will be bringing a portable table to lay it down. He said that it takes less time and puts less stress on the structure/panel. He said that he will be bringing two additional new fans from Panasonic just in case the noise problem is more than just that caused by aerodynamics.

Larry
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I am getting the fan kit installed on Friday for my 65VT60. Took a while to get and acceptable a date primarily because of my schedule.

The tech said that he would not remove the back cover, perform the fix, and replace the cover while the TV is upright. He will be bringing a portable table to lay it down. He said that it takes less time and puts less stress on the structure/panel. He said that he will be bringing two additional new fans from Panasonic just in case the noise problem is more than just that caused by aerodynamics.

Larry

When I asked if other 65VT60 owners had their TV serviced while upright at least one posted that it was. First time I've heard that it's safer to service when laying down.

Do you know if the fans the tech is bringing are the same model or a newer/different model? If not, would you please ask the tech? I'm considering having my fans replaced and would be more willing if they were indeed a different/newer model.

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread