Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1488 Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my 65ZT60 a few weeks ago, number 4953. No issues with the picture but I could hear the fan noise over the a/c and the fridge in the next room. Two local Best Buys here in S. Florida said they haven't had any returns or complaints due to the problem. I called Panasonic who sent out two techs yesterday. The techs had a service bulletin with them and did the foam fix described here and on the UK forum. They put three foam strips under sides and top of both the left and right fans. After the strips were installed they measured a 30-40% reduction in fan noise, both at the fans and at my viewing position about 9 feet away. Unfortunately, even though the fan noise has decreased, I can still hear it over quiet scenes and regular dialog on the screen (with a 5.1 system).

This is disappointing, because otherwise this TV is great. Not sure what I'm going to do next. When the techs took the back panel off, there was no fan noise at all, with or without the foam inserts. This makes me think its not so much a fan issue as an airflow issue. If that's the case, it seems that there's an issue with the design as others have said, and an exchange won't fix the problem.
Lost! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1488 Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 15
Technician just walked out the door after installing the foam fix on my 65VT60. My initial impression is that there has been a reduction in the obnoxious character of the noise, but NFW is the display silent. I'll have to wait for some quiet time viewing this evening to really assess the change.
Glashub likes this.
post #93 of 1488 Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I sure hope that Panasonic is learning something for the 2014 models.

TWD
post #94 of 1488 Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If there are 2014 models.
Lost! and sirh like this.
post #95 of 1488 Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure I read on the insider forum that there will be 2014 models.

TWD
post #96 of 1488 Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 33
Thanks to all who contribute to this thread with their valuable information, I updated the first post to reflect the current state and progress.
post #97 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM

I’ve now had two low volume viewing sessions with the VT60 (stand mounted with reflective floor, walls, but not ceiling) post noise abatement modification. I made rather low quality sound recordings of the before/after noise and there is clearly a reduction in the volume of the offending sound. There’s also clearly a change in the character of the pulsing nature of the sound. Once the panel gets up to operating temp, the pulsing settles into a pretty much steady, faster rhythm, at a similar to slightly higher pitch that I may be able to habituate to. Pre-fix, the changing cadence of the pulsing was probably the most annoying aspect to me.
The surface temp of the grill over the left fan remains a steady 125 degrees F before/after so that’s a good thing (I guess?). Right now I’d guess the fix has gotten me 2/3 of the way to being satisfied. The room acoustics need to be addressed next. As there is no WAF to be considered in the bat cave, I should be able to figure out something.
The final verdict? Close, but no cigar.
Glashub likes this.
post #98 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread with their valuable information, I updated the first post to reflect the current state and progress.

I noticed you did not include my unit - see post #89. Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60; Onkyo TX-NR818; Dish Hopper with Sling
post #99 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Here is a photo from my fan noise fix today.
They put foam on the top & sides and it makes the air flow
Downward!
Here is a view from the side. You can see new foam inserts from the side
On the inside of fan!
Lost! likes this.
post #100 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

So far it has cut the noise considerable. Have to cut TV sound completely off and then I can hear it at a very very low level.
Acid test comes tonight when TV is heated up and it is dead quiet in the house.
Right now I am happy with the fan noise fix.
But will post later tonight on final thoughts of this fan noise fix!
Just guessing here, but I think your room acoustics will also make a difference on whether this works well or not.
post #101 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 10
Is there anything special about the foam they installed or are they self adhesive foam strips that one could basically get from Amazon or Home Depot and do it themselves? I've been trying to get this issue address on my VT60 since late May.. The service center Panasonic put me in touch with told me to sit tight, that a fix was coming. That was several weeks ago and I've heard nothing back from them. I've actually been less than happy with the service center Panasonic has me use, but they are the only ones that are authorized by Panasonic in my area. I'm at the point where if it was simply some self adhesive foam strips that are installed on the inside of the fan as your pictures demonstrate, that I'd just do it myself.
post #102 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM

The foam strips look to be your basic foam type weatherstripping. Can't find the peel off tabs, but if I remember correctly they were something like 1/4 or 5/16" by 5/8 or 3/4". The adhesive is along the narrow dimension though, something I don't recall ever seeing. The innards of the display is a somewhat high heat environment though, so the foam might be an entirely different material. I'd suggest you go through Pana again. I called product support, 800-211-7262, spoke with a CSR named Ashley, and she set up a service call on the spot for early the following week. Got a call two days later and Pana had rescheduled the appointment with a different service company for the following day! So, three days from initial contact to completed work. Not too shabby!
post #103 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdqboss View Post

I noticed you did not include my unit - see post #89. Thanks.

I added your number, but since the problem is already confirmed and acknowledged by Panasonic, there is no need to report new numbers.
post #104 of 1488 Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgoalie View Post

Is there anything special about the foam they installed or are they self adhesive foam strips that one could basically get from Amazon or Home Depot and do it themselves? I've been trying to get this issue address on my VT60 since late May.. The service center Panasonic put me in touch with told me to sit tight, that a fix was coming. That was several weeks ago and I've heard nothing back from them. I've actually been less than happy with the service center Panasonic has me use, but they are the only ones that are authorized by Panasonic in my area. I'm at the point where if it was simply some self adhesive foam strips that are installed on the inside of the fan as your pictures demonstrate, that I'd just do it myself.
Nothing special about the foam strips!
post #105 of 1488 Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TL View Post

If you read the UK forum ref the Fan noise you would find out that its not the Fans making the noise. Some on the UK forum actually removed the back cover. Once removed the fan noise could not be heard. Its the air movement around the fans and opening in the back cover.

For all those waiting on a FIX from Panasonic - I opened a case on July 8 ref my 65VT60 (second unit). No help at that time. However asked to leave the case open as unresolved. Call last Friday to get any update from them and it was like starting from the begining. However they did say they would have someone get back to me within 48hrs. Well that never happened. Get home this afternoon and have a call from a TV repair center and I need to call ref the 65VT60. I called them and the person on the phone indicated Panasonic has a fix for the fan noise , he said the parts (foam pads) will be in next week and they would like to install them in the TV. I'll update the forum once they are installed.

I would suggest anyone with the fan noise - call panasonic and open a case.

Randy

Update:

11am this morning the foam pads were installed in my 65VT60. From what I can tell these pads have made a huge difference.
When ever I would first turn the TV on I would hear the Fans ramp up and slow down some. I can't hear that ramp up any more.
I will hold further judgement until listening in the evening and early morning. I do believe there has been a great improvement

Randy
SurajDas2013 likes this.
post #106 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TL View Post

Update:

11am this morning the foam pads were installed in my 65VT60. From what I can tell these pads have made a huge difference.
When ever I would first turn the TV on I would hear the Fans ramp up and slow down some. I can't hear that ramp up any more.
I will hold further judgement until listening in the evening and early morning. I do believe there has been a great improvement

Randy

Well - the Good news the foam pads have helped greatly.
The Bad News it didn't fix the problem entirely .The only time I can hear the fan noise is when
the room is totally quiet in the mornings and late at night. Let me say its about 90% improved. I wish
it totally fixed the issue but it didn't. I think I can live with it the way it is.

Randy
post #107 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Hi Everyone, I just had the tech come by and install the pads. I agree that it has helped but did not kill the noise. It's still there, but better than before. What's strange is that they used 3 pieces of foam on the left fan and then 1 piece on the right fan. Now it seems like I hear the fan noise more on the right than the left. Those that got the fix, did you experience the same fix between the left and right fans? Thanks.
post #108 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daferret View Post

Hi Everyone, I just had the tech come by and install the pads. I agree that it has helped but did not kill the noise. It's still there, but better than before. What's strange is that they used 3 pieces of foam on the left fan and then 1 piece on the right fan. Now it seems like I hear the fan noise more on the right than the left. Those that got the fix, did you experience the same fix between the left and right fans? Thanks.

Is yours the 65in set? Thanks
post #109 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I'm also in the Bay Area. Who did you call for the fix? I'd like to follow suit.
post #110 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM

When I called the Panasonic Service Center asking for the fix, I could not get them to commit to installing the fix. They asked a lot of the same type of questions-saying all plasmas make noise, can you hear it over the normal sound of the set, etc. One would think if you are calling after owning 4 Panasonic plasma set and having an issue now, they would just say -Yes Sir, sorry to are having a problem,, we do have a fix and schedule the fix.

However, they would only commit to sending out a 3rd party service technician to see if if needed the fix. And would order the fix later and return, If they deemed it necessary. Really? Geez... If they were would ever fix it, my return window would be up waiting for the 2nd return trip to fix-if ever. So I scheduled the set return to cover myself and went to HD and got some foam for DIY. Figured why not try and see.

Well, I guess it worked, I can now hear the panel sligllyt buzzing on some of the slides. And had to shutdown my laptop to really check out the remaining noise. Gladly trade this buzzing noise for the constant warbling fans. I did make a slight engineering adjustment and only partially closed off the left strip of foam on the left fan (facing the back) to allow some of the hot air from the heat sinks on the right to be pulled out too. I ran a temperature check using an IR thermometer and best as I can tell the set is the same or perhaps actually cooler, since the air is now more intelligently routed by the foam. When I made the cardboard vents, I def noticed a hotter running set, so this "fix" does seem to work. And about the same noise reduction. I would say it is about where my VT50 fans noise was - perhaps slightly louder. You can still hear is you listen closely, but I know what to listen. So hard to say, but I doubt most folks would even notice.

I may remove the DIY strips and just see how this plays out with the service center and if the formal fix makes any difference too. Just can't believe they know they have a problem, have a formal fix and still don't want to commit to fix it without two trips when you take the trouble to call for service.
post #111 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^That's how some Toyota dealerships are known to behave. They have a bulletin for a known defect but refuse to replace the part unless they, too, can recreate the problem/noise in-house.
post #112 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Is yours the 65in set? Thanks

Yes, I have the 65VT60
post #113 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoe View Post

I'm also in the Bay Area. Who did you call for the fix? I'd like to follow suit.

I'll PM you with info.
post #114 of 1488 Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I did!
post #115 of 1488 Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Yes I did!

@BigMoviefan, in your opinion did the fix eliminate the noise completely. If not, do you think the higher noise level has moved from left to right fan? Thanks.
post #116 of 1488 Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I called the Panasonic Service Center asking for the fix, I could not get them to commit to installing the fix. They asked a lot of the same type of questions-saying all plasmas make noise, can you hear it over the normal sound of the set, etc. One would think if you are calling after owning 4 Panasonic plasma set and having an issue now, they would just say -Yes Sir, sorry to are having a problem,, we do have a fix and schedule the fix.

However, they would only commit to sending out a 3rd party service technician to see if if needed the fix. And would order the fix later and return, If they deemed it necessary. Really? Geez... If they were would ever fix it, my return window would be up waiting for the 2nd return trip to fix-if ever. So I scheduled the set return to cover myself and went to HD and got some foam for DIY. Figured why not try and see.

Well, I guess it worked, I can now hear the panel sligllyt buzzing on some of the slides. And had to shutdown my laptop to really check out the remaining noise. Gladly trade this buzzing noise for the constant warbling fans. I did make a slight engineering adjustment and only partially closed off the left strip of foam on the left fan (facing the back) to allow some of the hot air from the heat sinks on the right to be pulled out too. I ran a temperature check using an IR thermometer and best as I can tell the set is the same or perhaps actually cooler, since the air is now more intelligently routed by the foam. When I made the cardboard vents, I def noticed a hotter running set, so this "fix" does seem to work. And about the same noise reduction. I would say it is about where my VT50 fans noise was - perhaps slightly louder. You can still hear is you listen closely, but I know what to listen. So hard to say, but I doubt most folks would even notice.

I may remove the DIY strips and just see how this plays out with the service center and if the formal fix makes any difference too. Just can't believe they know they have a problem, have a formal fix and still don't want to commit to fix it without two trips when you take the trouble to call for service.

Unreal. You would think that since they are sending a tech out that they would just apply the fix and have a happy customer. It's not like this is a major fix. What is it, four pieces of foam? It seems that some are getting the fix with no hassles and some aren't.

TWD
post #117 of 1488 Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

Unreal. You would think that since they are sending a tech out that they would just apply the fix and have a happy customer. It's not like this is a major fix. What is it, four pieces of foam? It seems that some are getting the fix with no hassles and some aren't.

I called the 3rd party authorized factory service center and asked if they were really going to make a possible two trip service call. Yes, was the reply. Normal procedure unless some well known problem. I asked if they knew about the foam noise fix and they said no. I said Panasonic now now a formal fix and was widely discussed on the internet. They suggested ignore the forums, since they had no record or bulletins on any such fix or issue. However, they were willing to call some internal Panasonic number and had me on hold for about 10 minutes, but came back and said Panasonic had no fix. I mentioned my small return window and they suggested I just return it, if not satisfied with the set.

Strange. But about an hour later I got a call back from the 3rd party service guy and he said Panasonic did call them back with a fan kit solution. They ordered the part and said they would call me when they got it to install in one trip. I did ask they if they def would install and not "check" the set out first. He said yes, they would install it in one trip. Whew! Really got to help Panasonic to get this resolved. And glad I called to not waste another two weeks and multiple waiting for some guy to show up.

Hope this not the signs of a distressed company or just wanting to exit consumer TVs. And also, he changed his tune and said Panasonic suggested I NOT return the set. I bet they did indeed! And he thought the fix might be more than just foam.
post #118 of 1488 Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Well done...it's been like pulling teeth, eh? Maybe I should give them a ring...heard the fans tonight on a silent movie (Charlie Chaplain), lol.
post #119 of 1488 Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I called the 3rd party authorized factory service center and asked if they were really going to make a possible two trip service call. Yes, was the reply. Normal procedure unless some well known problem. I asked if they knew about the foam noise fix and they said no. I said Panasonic now now a formal fix and was widely discussed on the internet. They suggested ignore the forums, since they had no record or bulletins on any such fix or issue. However, they were willing to call some internal Panasonic number and had me on hold for about 10 minutes, but came back and said Panasonic had no fix. I mentioned my small return window and they suggested I just return it, if not satisfied with the set.

Strange. But about an hour later I got a call back from the 3rd party service guy and he said Panasonic did call them back with a fan kit solution. They ordered the part and said they would call me when they got it to install in one trip. I did ask they if they def would install and not "check" the set out first. He said yes, they would install it in one trip. Whew! Really got to help Panasonic to get this resolved. And glad I called to not waste another two weeks and multiple waiting for some guy to show up.

Hope this not the signs of a distressed company or just wanting to exit consumer TVs. And also, he changed his tune and said Panasonic suggested I NOT return the set. I bet they did indeed! And he thought the fix might be more than just foam.

I don't know what's worst.

The lack of communications between Panasonic and service techs or that they didn't hear it themselves when they were developing the display and redesigned it so that it wouldn't be a problem to start with.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #120 of 1488 Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I don't know what's worst.

The lack of communications between Panasonic and service techs or that they didn't hear it themselves when they were developing the display and redesigned it so that it wouldn't be a problem to start with.

Not sure, it could have just been a start up glitch getting out the tech bulletins. since it is a relatively new and apparently not well understood nor acknowledged problem by Panasonic per the Insider tread. He said he had seen several VT/ZTs and never heard the noise and was not going to raise the issue to his superiors. If you ever read the Insider thread, he basically says we are a small community of fanatics and basically ignores us most of the times- like the fan noise.

But as usual the internet is very useful. As Intel tried and leaned a years ago and Panasonic should have learned on their raising black levels, for one to ignore a problem does not make it go away. It just make it better known and lives on the internet for years. You would think they would learn and realized multiple worldwide forums folks can all be crazy and have addressed this months ago. You think?

Oh, and I have to thank BB for being very flexible on the return policy while waiting for a Panasonic fix. First rate job BB!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60vt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page