Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1505 Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View PostWith the back cover off and the TV turned on the fans are silent! The noise is due only by air pulsation within the enclosed "box" and the vent holes.

Larry

Yes the noise is due to fan speed and air turbulence :(

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1505 Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I don't think any the noise is due to air flow so unless the airflow is changed or something absorbs these frequency rubber washers won't help! The fans are poorly designed

Quote:

Yes the noise is due to fan speed and air turbulence frown.gif

Well which is it? "I don't think any the noise is due to air flow..." or "Yes the noise is due to fan speed and air turbulence"?

You can't have it both ways. biggrin.gif

Larry
post #1203 of 1505 Old 02-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

A 10 db spl difference is needed to appear to be half (or twice) as loud.

Larry

Thanks.

I went looking to see if 3db was some magic sound number but apparently not, seems 1db is discernible from what I found. I ran into this though and it goes a long way in explaining why unwanted sound is so hard to eliminate.

"The perception of loudness relates roughly to the sound power to an exponent of 1/3. For example, if you increase the sound power by a factor of ten, listeners will report that the loudness has increased by a factor of about two (101/3 ≈ 2). This is a major problem for eliminating undesirable environmental sounds, for instance, the beefed-up stereo in the next door apartment. Suppose you diligently cover 99% of your wall with a perfect soundproof material, missing only 1% of the surface area due to doors, corners, vents, etc. Even though the sound power has been reduced to only 1% of its former value, the perceived loudness has only dropped to about 0.011/3 ≈ 0.2, or 20%. "
post #1204 of 1505 Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Thanks.

I went looking to see if 3db was some magic sound number but apparently not, seems 1db is discernible from what I found. I ran into this though and it goes a long way in explaining why unwanted sound is so hard to eliminate.

"The perception of loudness relates roughly to the sound power to an exponent of 1/3. For example, if you increase the sound power by a factor of ten, listeners will report that the loudness has increased by a factor of about two (101/3 ≈ 2). This is a major problem for eliminating undesirable environmental sounds, for instance, the beefed-up stereo in the next door apartment. Suppose you diligently cover 99% of your wall with a perfect soundproof material, missing only 1% of the surface area due to doors, corners, vents, etc. Even though the sound power has been reduced to only 1% of its former value, the perceived loudness has only dropped to about 0.011/3 ≈ 0.2, or 20%. "

-3 db voltage power means it has gone down by a factor of 2.
10* log (0.5) = -3 db

-6 db power voltage means it has gone down by a factor of 2.
20* log (0.5) = -6 db

SPL is measured using the 20*log(ratio) equation.

Larry

Sorry about that. Mixed up power and voltage. redface.gif That's what happens when you live with this stuff for a lifetime -- forgot to check my typing of these basic definitions.
post #1205 of 1505 Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks, that is where I remember -3db being something...
post #1206 of 1505 Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received my 55" VT60 yesterday with a June build. Fan noise is significant in my opinion. Called Panasonic and have an appt with a tech in one week to do the fan fix. The first CSR I spoke with was helpful but I had to explain Panasonic has a kit to help fix the fan issue--he kept calling it a "buzz." After putting me on hold twice, a woman came on who sounded like she knew what was going on and quickly scheduled the tech to come from about 100 miles away to install the foam kit.
post #1207 of 1505 Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstudios View Post

Received my 55" VT60 yesterday with a June build. Fan noise is significant in my opinion. Called Panasonic and have an appt with a tech in one week to do the fan fix. The first CSR I spoke with was helpful but I had to explain Panasonic has a kit to help fix the fan issue--he kept calling it a "buzz." After putting me on hold twice, a woman came on who sounded like she knew what was going on and quickly scheduled the tech to come from about 100 miles away to install the foam kit.

It might help or it might nor but it's worth the try tongue.gif

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1208 of 1505 Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM

Liked: 12
How is everyone getting the foam kit? The two ppl I spoke with at Panasonic knew nothing about it, and went as far as saying it was normal to hear the fan noise with the tv at half volume. They said they'd send someone out to look at it, but have to call me back since there aren't any service ppl nearby.

They also said I need to sit 10-12 feet away to prevent hurting my eyes. Obviously I wasn't impressed with hearing that.

Panasonic 65VT60 and 60VT60
JVC DLA-HD250
PSB Stratus Goldi
Classe CA-5200
Denon 3806
Carver 1.5t
post #1209 of 1505 Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Wow, they're getting desperate.
post #1210 of 1505 Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattweisz View Post

How is everyone getting the foam kit? The two ppl I spoke with at Panasonic knew nothing about it, and went as far as saying it was normal to hear the fan noise with the tv at half volume. They said they'd send someone out to look at it, but have to call me back since there aren't any service ppl nearby.

They also said I need to sit 10-12 feet away to prevent hurting my eyes. Obviously I wasn't impressed with hearing that.

Call back and ask to speak with a supervisor. Tell them the fan is very loud and makes a whirring noise that can be heard even with the tv at normal volume. Tell them that it is a known problem and Panasonic has a TSB for it which is a "fan fix kit" that is basically 4 pieces of foam that are placed under the fans. Tell them you do not want someone to come out to just "look" at it, you want it fixed at that visit. Make sure they bring the fan fix kit. Be persistent and do not take no for an answer. Here is a picture of the instructions in the fan fix kit.(Someone else originally posted it but I forget who, so credit goes to them).

mattweisz and n84china like this.
post #1211 of 1505 Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View PostWow, they're getting desperate.

I got the same response until I spoke with a manager!

My humble Cinema
post #1212 of 1505 Old 02-13-2014, 02:17 PM

I ordered my Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65-Inch on 12/28 and received it about 1/4 from Amazon. Really glad I bought it when I did because I am pretty sure I must have gotten the last new model available from them (the prices from 3rd party companies are insane right now). Plus I got Prime shipping and 2% rewards back :) 

Anyway I have an October 2013 build. Or at least that's what the sticker on the back says. I have been following this thread for a while now so I was pretty worried about the fan noise even with the fix (which I did shine a flashlight to check). Maybe my ears are just terrible, but even with my ear all the way up to the vent holes I cannot hear anything but a very light fan noise. Also I do not hear any kind of pulsing. Needless to say I am very relieved/happy about this.

Also sort of unrelated but I ran the break in slides for 300 hours straight (a bit overkill I realize) without any issues. So if people were worried about overheating, I at least did not have an issue *fingers crossed*. I did hear the buzzing that people were complaining about when bright images are displayed on the panel (so far only the whitest slides) although very faint. However my older Panasonic PZ800U did the same thing and I always thought this was something that plasmas did. Idk, doesn't bother me. 

post #1213 of 1505 Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 421
And as you know, when watching regular content outside of hockey (and some Olympic events) you will be hard pressed to hear that buzz, even with the volume low. Its a great display and you will enjoy what it provides vs. your PZ800U.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #1214 of 1505 Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

And as you know, when watching regular content outside of hockey (and some Olympic events) you will be hard pressed to hear that buzz, even with the volume low. Its a great display and you will enjoy what it provides vs. your PZ800U.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned the only time I actually heard the buzz on the PZ800U was when the volume was super low or if I had the display on mute and there were very bright images being displayed. During normal watching I never heard it even with brighter images. Again though maybe my ears just suck, lol!

Yeah I can't wait to really try this thing out I already got the controlCal software just need to set everything up :D 

post #1215 of 1505 Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM

The service tech just installed the foam kit on my VT 55"--he said he'd done about 10 of these fixes. Fan noise is still audible, but less than before. Not a dramatic reduction, but with the TV volume on, it will likely be tolerable (I haven't hooked it up to my system yet). When he had the back cover off, the there seemed to be almost no noise coming from the fans, so it would seem the noise is coming from the air flow through the vents or because of where the fans are in relation to the rear cover, as many have reported. I'm wondering if for some a solution might be to dremel the air hole vents off completely from the rear cover. A radical solution, but for those that know they are going to keep the TV and that it will be on the wall, why not. The whole process took him about 25 minutes, and he showed me the documentation from Panasonic on the fix, so for anyone who is facing resistance, let them know it's a known issue with these models (both VT and ZT).

Downloading firmware update to see if that will affect the fans at all.
post #1216 of 1505 Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by calstudios View Post

The service tech just installed the foam kit on my VT 55"--he said he'd done about 10 of these fixes. Fan noise is still audible, but less than before. Not a dramatic reduction, but with the TV volume on, it will likely be tolerable (I haven't hooked it up to my system yet). When he had the back cover off, the there seemed to be almost no noise coming from the fans, so it would seem the noise is coming from the air flow through the vents or because of where the fans are in relation to the rear cover, as many have reported. I'm wondering if for some a solution might be to dremel the air hole vents off completely from the rear cover. A radical solution, but for those that know they are going to keep the TV and that it will be on the wall, why not. The whole process took him about 25 minutes, and he showed me the documentation from Panasonic on the fix, so for anyone who is facing resistance, let them know it's a known issue with these models (both VT and ZT).

Downloading firmware update to see if that will affect the fans at all.

There was a person on the UK forum that did that and I believe he said it resolved the issue. My concern is if you have a warranty claim imam betting even though cutting the grille out would not impact anything they would void the warranty claim due to the mod.
post #1217 of 1505 Old 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11

In regards to the Fan noise:

What I've done is this:

I've had the foam fix done to my 65VT60 by a Panasonic Technician and the pulsating noise is pretty much gone, but the fan noise was still there.

During the day it is tolerable, at night, on low volume, it isn't.

What I did to fix this, was to put 3 strands of electrical tape on top of the left side on top of the fan grill. The electrical tape just barely overlapping each other. It should reach about half way of the fan grill after the 3rd strand of electrical tape is put on.

I did this to both fans, both on the left sides of the grill when you are looking at the back panel.

The noise is now basically completely gone. When you place your ear next to the fan grill you should just hear airflow and not the actual fan spinning.

In regards to the heat, it is pretty much the same, even if it's a bit more, it should be OK as the Heatsinks should cope.

There is still plenty of ventilation going through.

I've left it on for hours on end and it runs fine.

post #1218 of 1505 Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ77 View Post

In regards to the Fan noise:

What I've done is this:

I've had the foam fix done to my 65VT60 by a Panasonic Technician and the pulsating noise is pretty much gone, but the fan noise was still there.

During the day it is tolerable, at night, on low volume, it isn't.

What I did to fix this, was to put 3 strands of electrical tape on top of the left side on top of the fan grill. The electrical tape just barely overlapping each other. It should reach about half way of the fan grill after the 3rd strand of electrical tape is put on.

I did this to both fans, both on the left sides of the grill when you are looking at the back panel.

The noise is now basically completely gone. When you place your ear next to the fan grill you should just hear airflow and not the actual fan spinning.

In regards to the heat, it is pretty much the same, even if it's a bit more, it should be OK as the Heatsinks should cope.

There is still plenty of ventilation going through.

I've left it on for hours on end and it runs fine.

Pictures!

My humble Cinema
post #1219 of 1505 Old 02-18-2014, 11:44 PM

Liked: 11

Left Fan:

Right Fan with 3 strands:

Right Fan with 4 strands:

3 strands for the right fan should be enough, but you can make it more quieter with a 4th strand if you want to. Basically the 4th strand will cover the middle of the fan, if you can do it in 3, then great!

The black electrical tape blends in with the back panel. It's the flash that is making it appear brighter than what it really is.

It looks a bit messy 'cause I haven't wiped it clean yet.

Letuch likes this.
post #1220 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I think that block too much airflow. I prefer my plunger fix as the back of my TV is not visible and it basically muffles the noise and does not really impede air flow.
post #1221 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Personally I think that block too much airflow. I prefer my plunger fix as the back of my TV is not visible and it basically muffles the noise and does not really impede air flow.

What post # was that?
post #1222 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously putting a toilet plunger on my TV is not appealing plus the smell eek.gif

My humble Cinema
post #1223 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:

It looks like post #1060 is your final plunger fix pic? What size hole did you drill out? So with the Panasonic foam fan fix and your plunger fix, is your tv silent now? Any issues with heat after extended viewing? I had the Panasonic foam fix and it did make a big difference but I still hear the fans at very low tv volumes.
post #1224 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously putting a toilet plunger on my TV is not appealing plus the smell eek.gif

While your comment about smell was in jest I will say that the rubber on the plunger will emit a slight odor for a few days then nothing. I suspect it was a normal odor that was exaggerated by the air flow through it.
post #1225 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

While your comment about smell was in jest I will say that the rubber on the plunger will emit a slight odor for a few days then nothing. I suspect it was a normal odor that was exaggerated by the air flow through it.

I suspect you purchased a new plunger. But are you sure it wasn't a return?
Hey, if it works then great.
post #1226 of 1505 Old 02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View PostI suspect you purchased a new plunger. But are you sure it wasn't a return?
Hey, if it works then great.

LOL :)

My humble Cinema
post #1227 of 1505 Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Just got the fix on an April 2013 65" VT60. Amazon Warehouse Deals end of October timeframe. Extremely pleased with the difference. Panasonic was pretty good about it. I did get a bit pushy, well maybe not too aggressive, but let it be known I wanted the foam fix, not a visit. smile.gif
post #1228 of 1505 Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 PM

this thread is making me seriously reconsider the vt60... i am buying two tvs for my new house and had decided on the vt60 and had my shop/installer find me one but now i am having buyers remorse... anyone wish they hadn't bot one now that the noise issue has been so widely reported?

post #1229 of 1505 Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2014 View Post

this thread is making me seriously reconsider the vt60... i am buying two tvs for my new house and had decided on the vt60 and had my shop/installer find me one but now i am having buyers remorse... anyone wish they hadn't bot one now that the noise issue has been so widely reported?

I've heard the reports a lot, then bought VT60. When I heard the noise there was this "WTF??!! It can't be that bad" moment. Comparing to fan noise, now common plasma buzz for example can only be heard when you have full screen white or in this range. Then in couple of days I got used to it and can't even remember my old fanless TV. Eventually I'll attempt to fix it. Night time viewing of quiet TV/movie without the headphones is not the best experience.

It's important to understand that I'm not discouraging you to purchase one. Just be ready to be ready. It's worth every penny though.

Video: Panasonic P50VT60 (calibrated)
AVR: Yamaha RX-V671
Audio: Jamo C405 front, C400 center, S300 subwoofer, Yamaha NS-333 back
BD-Player: Sony PS3
Media player: WD TV Live Gen2
post #1230 of 1505 Old 02-21-2014, 03:20 AM

P.S. I have old and fat Sony PS3 for BD player. It's louder than VT60. So I may not be entirely objective here.

Video: Panasonic P50VT60 (calibrated)
AVR: Yamaha RX-V671
Audio: Jamo C405 front, C400 center, S300 subwoofer, Yamaha NS-333 back
BD-Player: Sony PS3
Media player: WD TV Live Gen2
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60vt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page