Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 43 - AVS Forum
First ... 41  42  43 44  45  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 01:02 PM 03-14-2014
Haha

kennyboy2's Avatar kennyboy2 01:40 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Sorry to dig this back up, but had a few inquiries and decided I would refresh this and show 2 additional (sorry for bad quality) shots to show them installed and give size references.

Kluken:

An engineer friend and I experimented with various baffle boxes from the very crude to somewhat sophisticated. All attenuated sound to some degree but all caused the temperature expelled from the fans to rise by 10 degrees or more within minutes. So, I abandoned all of these boxes. Did you measure temperatures after putting your plungers into place?
kennyboy2's Avatar kennyboy2 01:44 PM 03-14-2014
Foam Fix

To all: I have perused the AV and AVS fan noise threads and have read conflicting comments WRT determining whether one's VT or ZT has the foam fix factory installed. I think my August build has the fix but how do I tell for sure?
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 02:35 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy2 View Post

Kluken:

An engineer friend and I experimented with various baffle boxes from the very crude to somewhat sophisticated. All attenuated sound to some degree but all caused the temperature expelled from the fans to rise by 10 degrees or more within minutes. So, I abandoned all of these boxes. Did you measure temperatures after putting your plungers into place?

Slowing down the air flow and creating a build up vaccum. The only way I can see getting away with that is what Lian Li done with their PC cases.

Fan ducts with sound dampening.

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/ad-04/
kennyboy2's Avatar kennyboy2 03:01 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Slowing down the air flow and creating a build up vaccum. The only way I can see getting away with that is what Lian Li done with their PC cases.

Thanks for the tip. I like the looks of that. It seems I should be able to affix it to my ZT60 using adhesive or adhesive and magnets. BTW, do you know of anyone actually using these dampers on their VT/ZT 60s?

I also think Kluken's plunger still has potential
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 03:55 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

BTW, do you know of anyone actually using these dampers on their VT/ZT 60s?

I also think Kluken's plunger still has potential

Sadly I don't but you could make your own with cardboard or black plastic. Then stick self adhesive sound dampening to the inside of your own duct.

Square shape like the Lian Li sounds logical. Same diameter of air getting pushed through the duct. No restriction and no build up of heat. As Kluken's goes from a big vent to a small hole. You're slowing the air flow down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-ACRYLIC-PLEXIGLASS-PLASTIC-SHEET-1-8-X-12-X-24-/281261951029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417c84c835

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Roll-1-2-Acoustic-Sound-Absorbing-Dampening-Foam-with-Adhesive-backing-56-x12-/200912006325?pt=US_Acoustical_Treatments&hash=item2ec749ecb5
kennyboy2's Avatar kennyboy2 04:53 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

Sadly I don't but you could make your own with cardboard or black plastic. Then stick self adhesive sound dampening to the inside of your own duct.

Square shape like the Lian Li sounds logical. Same diameter of air getting pushed through the duct. No restriction and no build up of heat. As Kluken's goes from a big vent to a small hole. You're slowing the air flow down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-ACRYLIC-PLEXIGLASS-PLASTIC-SHEET-1-8-X-12-X-24-/281261951029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417c84c835

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Roll-1-2-Acoustic-Sound-Absorbing-Dampening-Foam-with-Adhesive-backing-56-x12-/200912006325?pt=US_Acoustical_Treatments&hash=item2ec749ecb5

Much appreciate your suggestions. The Lian Li fan ducts are reasonably priced. Is there any advantage to constructing my own imitation other than to save a few dollars?
xvfx's Avatar xvfx 05:08 PM 03-14-2014
Aluminium vs plastic. I can't see the metal holding up long with sticky pads, no?... *Thud*

I'm no expert but the aluminium must be heavier than plastic around an area with heat.

Looks limited in what you can do.

panasonic-tc-p65zt60-review-back-800x600-800x600.jpg
kennyboy2's Avatar kennyboy2 05:35 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

Aluminium vs plastic. I can't see the metal holding up long with sticky pads, no?... *Thud*

I'm no expert but the aluminium must be heavier than plastic around an area with heat.

Looks limited in what you can do.

panasonic-tc-p65zt60-review-back-800x600-800x600.jpg

I'm thinking I would follow Kluken's lead with the plungers. Buy a magnet roll and use some strong two sided 3M tape to attach the magnets to the dampers. For example, on an unusually hot or humid day, the dampers could easily be removed from the TV because they would be attached by magnets. Also, there would be no sticky tape residue on the TV. I am optimistic that I can overcome that particular issue provided I find decent magnets. Kluken's magnets are able to hold plungers to his cabinet so I think the magnets would hold the dampers. And magnets were able to hold a fairly heavy baffle box my engineering friend fabricated. (Alas, the baffle box restricted airflow so I abandoned it.) My only major concern is that the dampers abate the annoying fan noise while not compromising the fans. I think your idea has a lot of potential.

BTW, does the fan noise bother you?
eaayoung's Avatar eaayoung 06:00 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

Very similar the Top Gun Baffle on the UK AVForums. Here's a link to post 704 that has the design. Looks better than the plunger too.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/vt50-part-nine.1668834/page-24#post-17543443

kluken's Avatar kluken 06:01 PM 03-14-2014
Quote:

Kluken:

I have not, but will try. I will say that I barely feel any air flowing so I find it hard to believe the plungers with the big holes I cut are putting much back pressure on it. The thing I like about the plunger is the rubber really helps silence the noise. I will try to take measurements.

I know this will sound defensive, but here is my logic against the TGV, baffles a ducts and why I like the plunger. Baffles and ducts divert air, that alone cause back pressure as they all have hard angles. The plunger allows the air to continue with its momentum and the rubber muffles the sound waves.
belgiandude's Avatar belgiandude 07:49 AM 03-15-2014

Hi,

I recently installed a TX-P50VT60E at home, and immediately noticed the fan noise.

I guess it depends on personal preference and physical condition whether or not you can live with it.

I just can't bear the noise while enjoying a good movie.

So I tried a quick fix with some underlay material that was conveniently left over from recent flooring job.

It took me 2 minutes to apply with some tape and seems to do the trick for me.

Maybe one can optimize to personal circumstances.

I have the TV located in the corner of our living room which probably amplified the noise due to reflections.

The material I used is called Timbermate Excel, a Duralay product, but I guess you could use similar brands just as fine.

(http://www.interfloor.com/underlay/timbermate-excel/)

RichB's Avatar RichB 09:24 AM 03-15-2014
^^^
Does it help?

- Rich
belgiandude's Avatar belgiandude 12:00 PM 03-15-2014
Quote:
 It took me 2 minutes to apply with some tape and seems to do the trick for me.

Yes, so far I am pleased with the result.

The fan noise is almost completely gone, it's now roughly the same volume as the display buzz.

RichB's Avatar RichB 12:02 PM 03-15-2014
There is something to be said for turning ip the volume and enjoying the show smile.gif

- Rich
belgiandude's Avatar belgiandude 01:48 PM 03-15-2014

Good point. I might try that tonight !

The display panel is awesome even without sound though :cool:

AVKIK's Avatar AVKIK 10:45 AM 03-17-2014
Well, I'm at 333 hours on this set and loving it so far except for the damn fans. I swear it got louder the past 100 hours or so. I finally caved and called panasonic to get the fix done. I would hear them with the volume leveler all the way up and volume up to near 30. They are scheduled to come next Monday. Will update when all is done.
AVKIK's Avatar AVKIK 10:47 AM 03-17-2014
Oh yea, I have the 65zt60.
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 11:22 AM 03-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Oh yea, I have the 65zt60.

Build date? Didn't you own a 8500? What happen with that?
AVKIK's Avatar AVKIK 11:49 AM 03-17-2014
June build date. I did own a f8500. You PM me and I PM you back a while ago. Look back in your box and you will see my story.
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 12:48 PM 03-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

June build date. I did own a f8500. You PM me and I PM you back a while ago. Look back in your box and you will see my story.

Sorry forgot
wmulders's Avatar wmulders 01:29 AM 03-19-2014

Hi there,

I have a new Panasonic TX-P55VT60E, bought just a week ago. The manufactured date is nov 2013.

I have lookup behind the fans, but i don't have the foam fix.

When i turn on the tv, i hear the fan. If i have the volume up to 30 then i cannot hear the fans anymore, untill i mute the sound.

This model is bought in the Netherlands.

This week a repair guy will come by to fix this with proberly the foam fix. No i have read about fractures in the screen if the back isn't mounted back in the good place. or the tv is moved without backcover. This is verry tricky.

I would like to know, if this model 55vt60 can easiliy crack just like the ZT models? Maybe i will cancel my appointment with the repair guy. The cracks will be verry small, so i think i cannot see them if they are there.

Please can someone give me some advise.

Thanks.

fmalczewski's Avatar fmalczewski 11:20 AM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmulders View Post

Hi there,
Please can someone give me some advise.
Anything is possible, but the "micro-cracks" seem to be limited to the zt60s. (I suppose not moving the set while the back is off and not laying the set flat are the two usual things to avoid with any plasma.)

I don't have particulars, but the foam fix for smaller vt60s may not be as comprehensive as the one for the larger ones, so maybe your foam is already in place, but just not in as many places? (Sorry I plead ignorance, plus I don't have much knowledge of the Netherlands variations (I would imagine that even there the Nov 2013 manufactured sets should already have foam fix in place).)
wmulders's Avatar wmulders 12:46 PM 03-19-2014

Hello, thank you for your answer.  Yes i have the smaller version TX-P55VT60, so 55 inch. When i look at the back at the TV, and i look inside the left fan, i can see that there is space between the fan and the panel. So there is no foam update, the right fan seen from the back of the tv, i cannot see. I don't know if there is extra foam.

I'm bit scared to open the TV by other people, you never know what can go wrong. I have untill tomorrow (Dutch time)  I have the option to cancel this upgrade.

If i set the volume on 25, then i cannot hear it anymore.

fmalczewski's Avatar fmalczewski 12:59 PM 03-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmulders View Post

I'm bit scared to open the TV by other people, you never know what can go wrong.
I'm kind of the same way. I have a 65zt60, so probably a bit more.

But so far, I've held off on doing it myself, even though I do have the parts I will use once I get to it. (Noisy winter furnaces (and zt60 microcracks) have reduced the urgency... though it's still annoying to hear the fans during quiet film moments from time to time when there's no other noise in the house.)
wmulders's Avatar wmulders 09:33 AM 03-21-2014

Hi there again,

Well the mechanic just left the house, and i have the foam fix installed. He installed the foam fix with the tv on the stand. I asked him to do it like this and not laying the tv down as he asked me. :)

Everything looks fine, i think. The noise of the fans has decreased. I still hear the fans, but that is normal off course.

They had the right kit (product nr) and they were verry careful. I can sleep normally again :)

Thx for your answers and hopefully it will be also good with your tv if you gonna let the foam fix placed by the technicians.

One advise, if you do it, leave the tv on the stand when the foam fix is done. This is better for the tv, and you have less chance off microcracks.

fmalczewski's Avatar fmalczewski 10:44 AM 03-21-2014
Congrats. Interesting to know for sure that your Nov build didn't have the fix. (For those tuning in late, this is for the Netherlands...) Glad it's helping out with the noise.

I think part of my hesitancy is disconnecting all those wires and turning the tv around on the stand (or just moving it off the stand altogether), and then removing all those screws.

When I was about to do it one day, I realized my arithmetic on the rubber washers was off and I would be short one or two, and when I finally got around to getting the rest, I started reading about the microcracks, and then the furnace kicked in and it didn't matter any more...

So many excuses, so little time. tongue.gif
wmulders's Avatar wmulders 11:50 AM 03-21-2014

Yes it is really build nov 2013.

I have left the wires alone, i only disconnected them from the TV and the stand. We pickud up the TV together and put it on the kitchen table. This was the best place, i have enough space by the table. Otherwise the mechanic had a small amount off space for reparing if we had left the TV on the TV table.

The ZT is more fragile for cracks, but if you don;t lay down the TV and do not move it when the cover is off. Then everything will be fine. Also help the guy with replacing the cover. Then you are sure that you put it back in the right place.

I think even when you still missing rubbers you can ask the repair guy. :)

vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 01:26 PM 03-21-2014
heh heheh he said rubbers. Don't mind my immature moment. smile.gif
RichB's Avatar RichB 05:47 PM 03-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

heh heheh he said rubbers. Don't mind my immature moment. smile.gif

My local CVS showed remarkable forethought when they located the shoe covers and the prophylactics in the same isle. wink.gif

- Rich
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
First ... 41  42  43 44  45  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop