Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1461 Old 04-11-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman8or View Post

Camarodrvr: got one question. I joined forum in late January. So I'm new. Been reading it for years though. If you want to IM someone or go private with a conversation, can that be done? And if so, how? Thanks in advance.
Herman8or~

Just Pick the down arrow after someone's name and pick Send PM and that will send them a private message. If you look at the top right of the page you will see a link to get your PM's, sort of your AVS mailbox for PM's and it will show you any you have sent.

I sent you a PM so there should be one there waiting for you now, it just says the same as this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1461 Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Get the fan fix and be done with it. Not a hard decision. It's free it helps.

And yes speakers will help hide the noise just like it hides plasma buzzing.
post #1353 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafalzon View Post

I think we all need to accept that there will be some fan sound with this model however it can be reduced. The fans create the noise however this can be controlled by restricting the sound movement whilst maintaining sufficient air flow. I like many of the ideas shared by other users however I feel that many restrict too much air or are aesthetically unpleasing.

Here is my solution. You will need one 1000GSM Black A4 cardboard, a pack of adhesive Magnetic strips 1.5cm width, a blade knife and cutting board. Cut a square 11cmx11cm then carefully cut halfway through the board to create two 1.5cm folds on each side to create the shape in my picture.

I have run this on my 55" VT for two days and there has not been any problem with an average ambient temp of 25 degrees in my room. The back area surrounding the vents are a tad warm but that area is warm even without the cardboard baffles. My design provides airflow at both the top and bottom which should be more than enough for these fans.

Of course such modifications to your own TV are at your own risk.

Looks similar to the top guns but yours is vented top and bottom. Not sure what 1000 GSM or A4 denote but where did you buy the cardboard?

BTW, I have now owned my ZT60 about 6 weeks and I am gradually getting accustomed to the fan noise. Occasionally annoying but much less so than when I first heard it.
post #1354 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy2 View Post

Looks similar to the top guns but yours is vented top and bottom. Not sure what 1000 GSM or A4 denote but where did you buy the cardboard?

BTW, I have now owned my ZT60 about 6 weeks and I am gradually getting accustomed to the fan noise. Occasionally annoying but much less so than when I first heard it.

I purchased the cardboard from Eckersleys Art and Craft Store. To be honest my solution does not illiminate the noise, just a slight improvement. My bigger problem at the moment is the Fox Sports logo that has burnt into my new VT60 panel. Seriously considering returning it now. Not sure what to do.

Panasonic P55VT60, PS3, Apple TV, ReadyNAS Ultra2+, Logitech Z5500, Sennheiser RS170
post #1355 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
^That one's a killer. Slides and/or Disney World of Wonder's Pixel Flipper is the best solution. I wouldn't blame you for returning it, but what you'll get as a replacement is another issue entirely.
post #1356 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I purchased the cardboard from Eckersleys Art and Craft Store. To be honest my solution does not illiminate the noise, just a slight improvement. My bigger problem at the moment is the Fox Sports logo that has burnt into my new VT60 panel. Seriously considering returning it now. Not sure what to do.

That sucks. How long have you had the logo? Is it fading at all? You've done the screen wipe overnight and/or the Disney WOW pixel flipper? I had some ESPN static images burnt into to my VT25 and they faded but never completely went away even years later. More recently, I had a local news logo image retained on my new ZT60. It has faded over the past thirty days and is barely noticeable.

It is a really tough call since you cannot, in all likelihood, find another VT60. Your best alternate would be the Samsung PN8000. If it is any consolation, as my ESPN images slowly faded on my VT25 and my eyes stopped looking for the images, after a while, it just didn't really matter. The fan noise on the ZT60 is irritating but I find myself already paying less and less attention to it.
post #1357 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Well I noticed the logo 2 days ago and I suspect it was due to the AFL game that I watched the previous day. Its very faint and can only be seen against a complete white or green screen. I picked it up when I was looking at the program guide. I am hoping that after a week or so it will fade completely as the screen is only 2 weeks old and is still breaking in.
The option for a replacement is there as the retailer still has stock but to be honest I really cant be bothered with all the effort involved. They had 100+ units 2 weeks ago so I suspect they still have more. I am based in Sydney Australia BTW.

Panasonic P55VT60, PS3, Apple TV, ReadyNAS Ultra2+, Logitech Z5500, Sennheiser RS170
post #1358 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:

That sucks. How long have you had the logo? Is it fading at all? You've done the screen wipe overnight and/or the Disney WOW pixel flipper? I had some ESPN static images burnt into to my VT25 and they faded but never completely went away even years later. More recently, I had a local news logo image retained on my new ZT60. It has faded over the past thirty days and is barely noticeable.

It is a really tough call since you cannot, in all likelihood, find another VT60. Your best alternate would be the Samsung PN8000. If it is any consolation, as my ESPN images slowly faded on my VT25 and my eyes stopped looking for the images, after a while, it just didn't really matter. The fan noise on the ZT60 is irritating but I find myself already paying less and less attention to it.

Well I noticed the logo 2 days ago and I suspect it was due to the AFL game that I watched the previous day. Its very faint and can only be seen against a complete white or green screen. I picked it up when I was looking at the program guide. I am hoping that after a week or so it will fade completely as the screen is only 2 weeks old and is still breaking in.
The option for a replacement is there as the retailer still has stock but to be honest I really cant be bothered with all the effort involved. They had 100+ units 2 weeks ago so I suspect they still have more. I am based in Sydney Australia BTW.

post #1359 of 1461 Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:

You are fortunate that you have the option to acquire another set should your logo not go away. Not an option here. These TVs are sold out everywhere. But if it is real faint and can be seen only against a solid screen, I can understand why you may not bother to replace it. Odds are it will fade even more.
post #1360 of 1461 Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:

FYI - 1000 GSM is the weight of the paper (grams per square meter) and A4 is the paper size, that is a common European paper size. So a heavy piece of cardboard about the size of a sheet of paper smile.gif
post #1361 of 1461 Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 PM

The local technician received a call from Panasonic about my support request and got in touch. I will be sure to show them the PDF concerning microfractures and ensure the back end gets replaced properly.
post #1362 of 1461 Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The local technician received a call from Panasonic about my support request and got in touch. I will be sure to show them the PDF concerning microfractures and ensure the back end gets replaced properly.

Since the tv is irreplaceable I'd be on it like a hawk, help out or whatever it takes. There's a saying in the auto repair industry, $75 an hour, $100 if you watch, $150 if you help. So with that in mind a $20 tip for helping ain't so bad smile.gif
post #1363 of 1461 Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedizzel View Post

Here are some pics of my TC-P65ZT60...

do you have a more highres picture of the back panel?

i need to look where the pots is located and what names they have.
they are on the power board in the middle
post #1364 of 1461 Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Liked: 14
I want to ask if anyone here in Canada or Toronto has had the foam kit installed on their VT or ZT to deal with the fan noise? What has been your experience?

Did you question the tech to make sure that they knew the back cover had to be aligned properly before reapplying to avoid the microfractures?

I only have to the end of October 2014 to get this fix done if I decide to go ahead with it.

I don't know if I should post this in the Official ZT thread?

Thanks
post #1365 of 1461 Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Liked: 14
I had the foam fix applied to my 55" VT60. It helped, but not enough. It wasn't very loud but I did notice it during quiet parts of films or when I was watching late at night at lower volumes and I found it distracting. If anything, the noise will increase as the set ages, the fans get dirty and the fan bearings wear. As much as I loved the picture I returned the set. Your success/happiness with the fix will probably depend on how loud you find the fan right now, your room acoustics etc...

Panasonic is also in the fan business (Panaflo) and I am sure they are well aware that they could have cooled these sets equally well with larger diameter fans running at lower RPM's (like half the speed) thus reducing vibration and noise a great deal. On TV's in this price bracket they could have and should have spent the extra couple of dollars and done it right in my opinion.
Edllguy and Bunga99 like this.
post #1366 of 1461 Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 PM

Vinnie97:' my apologies for not responding sooner. I am continuing to run nothing but 1080p BlueRay content through ZT for the first 300 hours. I'm at 200-210 hours now. I am meeting with BB mgr. to discuss the fan noise kit, and who and when it will be done. As I mentioned, I got lucky a few weeks back. To the best of knowledge, I got the last ZT60 -60" set available from Best Buy. I double & triple checked it upon shipment to BB and it was indeed a BRAND NEW SET in an Unopened Box. That was important to me. Ironically, the build date is April 2013. It did not have the fan noise kit installed. It has noticeable fan noise as I indicated in previous posts. As for calibration? I really want the best, most experienced ISF certified tech to do such a job. Or one of the best. I broke my neck in 3 places and suffered resulting paralysis from the neck down. I got some return function over 20 years and 7000+ hours of physical therapy. I mention this only because it's a bit more inconvenient to do some things and is the reason I watch a lot of hours on my sets. Past Kuro had 33,000 hours +\- on it. That said, can you or anyone recommend a truly skilled & knowledgable calibrator to do my ZT? And possibly my KUROS?
Now for the fan noise: many ZT owners have this fan noise to some degree. I've seen many of the DIY fixes and forum members have had varying degrees of success. Yes! No one should have to complain or deal with such a problem from Panasonic or any other company. That said, it's there so we have to work with it. I will post my results as soon as I have my fan kit installed. In the meantime, let me suggest an idea or possible solution that I HAVE INDEED TRIED. Acoustic foam or panels usually come in 2" and 4" thicknesses. I tried 2" and also 3" ... 4lb density memory foam. Cut a square piece of the foam. Then trace out a circle that is 1-inch or so larger that the vent hole pattern on the ZT's rear panel. You will end up with 1-2 inches of outside foam surrounding the circular hole that is placed over the fan vents holes on the back. This allows for complete ventilation with no obstruction to air flow. The sound is absorbed into the acoustic foam, and deadened quite a bit. YES, I know we have seen cardboard, toilet plungers, and other fixes, and no one wants any extra crap handing off the back of our Plasmas. But done right, and carefully, acoustic foam panels or memory foam can be cut cleanly, painted or covered in black fabric, and attached & removed easily. Add to this a proper 24" X 24" acoustic panel or two of them behind your Plasma and it can greatly reduce the fan noise, PLUS, make your entire home theater room sound better.... Fan noise or not. It's easy to do and you have nothing to lose.
In closing, I'll see and post my results after the Panasonic tech does the fan noise kit. If it works to my satisfaction, great! If not, the fix I suggested helps a lot and makes sense when you think it through. Regardless, I will be keeping 2 regular acoustics panels attached behind my ZT and front speakers.
Any help or suggestions on calibrators is appreciated. Should anyone else try this idea for fan noise reduction or silencing, let me know your results. I hope this helps some of you?
Peace out,
Herman8or~
post #1367 of 1461 Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

You are fortunate that you have the option to acquire another set should your logo not go away. Not an option here. These TVs are sold out everywhere. But if it is real faint and can be seen only against a solid screen, I can understand why you may not bother to replace it. Odds are it will fade even more.

Just an update. The retailer was good enough to offer me a replacement unit today. Fingers crossed this one is not a dud. I take delivery of the replacement in 2 days time. Not looking forward to re-boxing the old one and having to setup the new one.

post #1368 of 1461 Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:

Any help or suggestions on calibrators is appreciated. Herman8or~

Herman, not sure what part of the country you are in but I highly recommend Chad Billheimer. He has calibrated several of my sets and did a masterful job on my VT60. DeWayne Davis, Kevin Miller and Buzz Schranz are also excellent. Glad you are sticking it out with the ZT, the 8500 is a nice set but not equivalent imo.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1369 of 1461 Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Vinnie97:' my apologies for not responding sooner. I am continuing to run nothing but 1080p BlueRay content through ZT for the first 300 hours. I'm at 200-210 hours now. I am meeting with BB mgr. to discuss the fan noise kit, and who and when it will be done. As I mentioned, I got lucky a few weeks back. To the best of knowledge, I got the last ZT60 -60" set available from Best Buy. I double & triple checked it upon shipment to BB and it was indeed a BRAND NEW SET in an Unopened Box. That was important to me. Ironically, the build date is April 2013. It did not have the fan noise kit installed. It has noticeable fan noise as I indicated in previous posts. As for calibration? I really want the best, most experienced ISF certified tech to do such a job. Or one of the best. I broke my neck in 3 places and suffered resulting paralysis from the neck down. I got some return function over 20 years and 7000+ hours of physical therapy. I mention this only because it's a bit more inconvenient to do some things and is the reason I watch a lot of hours on my sets. Past Kuro had 33,000 hours +\- on it. That said, can you or anyone recommend a truly skilled & knowledgable calibrator to do my ZT? And possibly my KUROS?
Now for the fan noise: many ZT owners have this fan noise to some degree. I've seen many of the DIY fixes and forum members have had varying degrees of success. Yes! No one should have to complain or deal with such a problem from Panasonic or any other company. That said, it's there so we have to work with it. I will post my results as soon as I have my fan kit installed. In the meantime, let me suggest an idea or possible solution that I HAVE INDEED TRIED. Acoustic foam or panels usually come in 2" and 4" thicknesses. I tried 2" and also 3" ... 4lb density memory foam. Cut a square piece of the foam. Then trace out a circle that is 1-inch or so larger that the vent hole pattern on the ZT's rear panel. You will end up with 1-2 inches of outside foam surrounding the circular hole that is placed over the fan vents holes on the back. This allows for complete ventilation with no obstruction to air flow. The sound is absorbed into the acoustic foam, and deadened quite a bit. YES, I know we have seen cardboard, toilet plungers, and other fixes, and no one wants any extra crap handing off the back of our Plasmas. But done right, and carefully, acoustic foam panels or memory foam can be cut cleanly, painted or covered in black fabric, and attached & removed easily. Add to this a proper 24" X 24" acoustic panel or two of them behind your Plasma and it can greatly reduce the fan noise, PLUS, make your entire home theater room sound better.... Fan noise or not. It's easy to do and you have nothing to lose.
In closing, I'll see and post my results after the Panasonic tech does the fan noise kit. If it works to my satisfaction, great! If not, the fix I suggested helps a lot and makes sense when you think it through. Regardless, I will be keeping 2 regular acoustics panels attached behind my ZT and front speakers.
Any help or suggestions on calibrators is appreciated. Should anyone else try this idea for fan noise reduction or silencing, let me know your results. I hope this helps some of you?
Peace out,
Herman8or~

Herman, Who was your source for the foam you attached to the back of your ZT60? If your source was online, can you attach a link? Also, can you post a photo of your fix?

Thx, Ken
post #1370 of 1461 Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 PM

Kennyboy2: as for the acoustic panel, it was an old one I had laying around. It was 2" thick, so I cut a roughly 8"x8" square off of it. Then I cut a circular pattern out of the middle that was 1" larger than the back panels fan venting hole pattern. I attached that piece over the venting holes. I had roughly 2" of acoustic panel surrounding the fan vent but not blocking its airflow at all. This changes the air flow noise and the acoustic panel helps to silence the fan noise frequencies. So basically it looks like a 6x6 by 2" thick block attached to the fan positions. Colored black, it blends with the back panel without looking way out of place. Secondly, I simply took a piece of high quality 4lb density memory foam from my mattress topper and created the same hole in the middle. I put over the fan venting holes with no obstruction and it worked fairly well too. I don't have any pictures of it yet, but will try and do that for you over the weekend. I'm well aware that memory foam and acoustic foams are totally different with varying sound deadening performance. However, if proves to a 80-90% solution to the fan noise, I would think you might like it? Am I right or wrong on that? Here is what I plan on doing for everyone that is interested in this idea or concept.
1. I'm going to have the Panasonic Rep do the fan fix kit with acoustic foam tape as shown in numerous posts.
2. I've decided to go with Acoustic Panel Foam/ insulation and will build 3 different attachments for the 3 fan venting holes. They will be matte black and blend in nicely with the back panel. My guess, is that with Panasonic's fix - plus my "Mini Acoustic 6"x6" panel for the fan vents, I believe the fan noise will all but be eliminated.
3. I'll probably scratch the memory foam fix even though it worked. A bit harder to work with and doesn't look as neat or professional.
In closing, there is detailed evidences as to what and why the noise is so pronounced. It has to due back panel design and how thin it is.
My last option will be to remove the back panel. (See pictures of ZT with rear cover off to see the layout inside). With the rear panel off, I will carefully mark of 3 banks of venting holes on the right side, the middle, and the lest side. I will drill 3 banks of ventilation hole patterns about 2" from the top in the back. (There are no electronics, etc, in that upper area so nothing is subject to damage." The 3 banks of holes I drill will be 3-4 holes high and 6-9 holes wide. The center bank will be a bit longer, maybe 12 holes in length. The size and distance will be the same as Panasonic's current vent hole diameters. It's my opinion that this will allow the entire unit to Breath far more efficiently. It will reduce back pressure and change the pressure above the fans, reducing their noise. Before I do that, I have the fan kit installed. In closing, I had a GE Engineer look at it and listen to it. He also looked at my Kuros and the way they put in their venting holes. Some may disagree with my overall hypothesis on this whole issue? I respect that and that is your right. In the physics is physics. It can be bended a little but it doesn't just change. Additional vents at the top will allow for hot air to escape as it rises, improving the overall cooling of your ZT. It will also change the pressure or vacuum that builds up in such an enclosed rear panel, thus making the fans do there job more efficiently.
My apologies for such a long & detailed post. However, once I'm done, I'll post detailed pictures of what I did and how I did it. I'm willing to bet the noise is all but gone when I'm finished, and it won't be a difficult or hard modification at all. Thank you for your interest, I hope when it's done, I may be able to help those persons dealing with unwanted or frustrating fan noise.
Peace out~
Herman8or~
post #1371 of 1461 Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Kennyboy2: as for the acoustic panel, it was an old one I had laying around. It was 2" thick, so I cut a roughly 8"x8" square off of it. Then I cut a circular pattern out of the middle that was 1" larger than the back panels fan venting hole pattern. I attached that piece over the venting holes. I had roughly 2" of acoustic panel surrounding the fan vent but not blocking its airflow at all. This changes the air flow noise and the acoustic panel helps to silence the fan noise frequencies. So basically it looks like a 6x6 by 2" thick block attached to the fan positions. Colored black, it blends with the back panel without looking way out of place. Secondly, I simply took a piece of high quality 4lb density memory foam from my mattress topper and created the same hole in the middle. I put over the fan venting holes with no obstruction and it worked fairly well too. I don't have any pictures of it yet, but will try and do that for you over the weekend. I'm well aware that memory foam and acoustic foams are totally different with varying sound deadening performance. However, if proves to a 80-90% solution to the fan noise, I would think you might like it? Am I right or wrong on that? Here is what I plan on doing for everyone that is interested in this idea or concept.
1. I'm going to have the Panasonic Rep do the fan fix kit with acoustic foam tape as shown in numerous posts.
2. I've decided to go with Acoustic Panel Foam/ insulation and will build 3 different attachments for the 3 fan venting holes. They will be matte black and blend in nicely with the back panel. My guess, is that with Panasonic's fix - plus my "Mini Acoustic 6"x6" panel for the fan vents, I believe the fan noise will all but be eliminated.
3. I'll probably scratch the memory foam fix even though it worked. A bit harder to work with and doesn't look as neat or professional.
In closing, there is detailed evidences as to what and why the noise is so pronounced. It has to due back panel design and how thin it is.
My last option will be to remove the back panel. (See pictures of ZT with rear cover off to see the layout inside). With the rear panel off, I will carefully mark of 3 banks of venting holes on the right side, the middle, and the lest side. I will drill 3 banks of ventilation hole patterns about 2" from the top in the back. (There are no electronics, etc, in that upper area so nothing is subject to damage." The 3 banks of holes I drill will be 3-4 holes high and 6-9 holes wide. The center bank will be a bit longer, maybe 12 holes in length. The size and distance will be the same as Panasonic's current vent hole diameters. It's my opinion that this will allow the entire unit to Breath far more efficiently. It will reduce back pressure and change the pressure above the fans, reducing their noise. Before I do that, I have the fan kit installed. In closing, I had a GE Engineer look at it and listen to it. He also looked at my Kuros and the way they put in their venting holes. Some may disagree with my overall hypothesis on this whole issue? I respect that and that is your right. In the physics is physics. It can be bended a little but it doesn't just change. Additional vents at the top will allow for hot air to escape as it rises, improving the overall cooling of your ZT. It will also change the pressure or vacuum that builds up in such an enclosed rear panel, thus making the fans do there job more efficiently.
My apologies for such a long & detailed post. However, once I'm done, I'll post detailed pictures of what I did and how I did it. I'm willing to bet the noise is all but gone when I'm finished, and it won't be a difficult or hard modification at all. Thank you for your interest, I hope when it's done, I may be able to help those persons dealing with unwanted or frustrating fan noise. I continue to be impressed with the stunning picture, equal or better than my 9G Kuro Elite 50" set in my bedroon.
Peace out~
Herman8or~
Thanks Herman. I would be interested in seeing your final fix. I have tried a few baffles but I am not happy with any of them. I also purchased a thermometer with probes so I can evaluate impact on the VT60. I am starting to get accustomed to the noise and it doesn't bother me as much as it did a month ago. I also have some pesky IR in the form of a local news logo but I try to ignore it. It has been present over a month.
post #1372 of 1461 Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thanks Herman. I would be interested in seeing your final fix. I have tried a few baffles but I am not happy with any of them. I also purchased a thermometer with probes so I can evaluate impact on the VT60. I am starting to get accustomed to the noise and it doesn't bother me as much as it did a month ago. I also have some pesky IR in the form of a local news logo but I try to ignore it. It has been present over a month.

I actually heard my fan last night for maybe the second time since I purchased the TV back in January. Chad was calibrating the TV with no image I could hear it cycling a couple of times. I even saw some image retention due to his calibration slides on the screen. I count myself lucky since I haven't had much a problem with either issue.
post #1373 of 1461 Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 PM

eaayoung: as soon as I've completed my final version of my fix to the fan noise, I will post pictures as to how, what, and why I did it. I know there a lot people in this thread that have come up with a number DIY fixes. Their results have been from not so good, to quite effective. As has been proven, Panasonic did not engineer or design it's rear panel and cooling fans as well as they could of. Of course, there are a lot of ZT owners that are 100% happy with theirs sets and have no noise issues. IMHO, Panasonic was trying a bit to hard to win the thinnest panel award or at least make an ultra thin panel. I've mentioned in previous posts that I also have a few Pioneer Elite Kuros, and they of course are a bit thicker. I'm curious as to this question..." If the ZT were 1-inch thicker but delivered superb picture quality, with zero problems, noise, buzzing, fans, etc., would you not have purchased it? Personally, it doesn't bother me if a HDTV is 1" or 2" thick. As to the fan noise, I am doing a 3 step process, that's not to difficult at all. 1. Panasonic's rep will install the fan kit and I'll watch carefully to make sure it's done properly. 2. The exterior acoustic panel fix I came up with, is basically a miniature acoustic panel with the same materials inside. The mini panel simply has a hole or cut out in the middle that is slightly larger than the Hole Pattern on the rear panel where the fans vent the hot air. This mini panel can be tuned a bit depending on your rooms acoustics, TV placement, and environmental conditions, so that it reduces or absorbs the fans noise & frequency levels. 3. (Only if 1. and or 2. isn't satisfactory). I will drill out venting holes in a careful and professional way across the top-rear portion of the back cover. IF, I do this, it will look like it came this way from factory. Having said all that, I hope the fan kit the Panny rep installs works enough for my ears. The Mini Acoustic Panels were highly effective and I may use them either way. The 3rd option may sound drastic, but if you look at the rear cover of previous Panasonic Panels, Pioneers rear Panels, and many others, you will see a lot more venting holes for proper venting & cooling of electrical components house inside. I also fully understand those who are reluctance to remove the rear cover. However, if done carefully, it shouldn't be any great problem. In conclusion, the PQ is excellent, and you do get accustomed to the fan noise...a bit...depending on your hearing. We shouldn't have to deal with such issues no matter how wide spread or how few are complaining. But since it is problem for many in this forum, I'm simply trying to come up with an effective, inexpensive and good looking solution for those that fan noise that's bothersome. I plan on posting pictures of Panasonic's work, my mini acoustic panels, and option 3 if it's necessary showing the rear cover with additional venting hole grids. If it proves helpful and works, then it should be a great help to those who have the fan noise. If I didn't think the Panasonic fix kit was a good idea, I'd go with just the acoustic panel, as it was quite effective to my ears...and I have excellent hearing. Once I post the pictures and final product, I'd appreciate any input or your results,...Positive or Negative thoughts...it doesn't matter. I'm just trying to help those with the problem. Thanks a lot.
Herman8or~
post #1374 of 1461 Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Will be interested to see what you come up with.
post #1375 of 1461 Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM

carriage return is your friend wink.gif
post #1376 of 1461 Old 04-26-2014, 10:11 PM

eaayoung: I happy as hell to hear your calibration went so well. D-Nice will be calibrating mine in Early May sometime. I give him kudos for responding to my inquiry so fast. Great service is hard to come by now a days. I have noticed a drop in fan noise after 250 hours. That's without the panels. I still have to get the Panasonic fan fix done. Just wanted to I'm happy your calibration made a noticeable difference.
Herman8or~
post #1377 of 1461 Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mine's back to fans being noticeable again... approaching no more procrastinating levels.
post #1378 of 1461 Old 04-27-2014, 11:05 AM

My fans never changed in intensity or volume...the only determining factor as to their audibility is ambient noise in the room. I will probably have mine done this week.
post #1379 of 1461 Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Presumably the same here, although possibly a slightly warmer house in the wee wee hours makes them work a little harder.
post #1380 of 1461 Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Can somebody give me a quick recap on the fan fix? Last I heard, technicians were putting the back panels on incorrectly giving hair line cracks? Where do we stand now? Sorry, haven't been on in awhile and don't have time to read back.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page