Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1508 Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 55" VT60 bought in December at PC Richard's in NJ for about $1400 before taxes
I did notice I have "fan noise" but it is so negligeable I can't see having a tech come over to do this fix which doesn't completely eliminate the noise anyway
IMO it's no worse than the fan noise from my Verizon DVR or the cental air kicking on and running, etc etc. Truth be told, unless the scene I am watching is dead quiet
I cannot hear any fan noise from my listening position which is about 10 feet away. This is even with lowest volume settings
Im pretty sure that if I didn't read about this issue here I probablly would have never given it a second thought.

Anyway the TV is phenomenal and is now on the verge of extinction. I feel I am lucky to have snagged one of the last untis available and I will enjoy the hell out of it until it burns out.
Try and do the same. Obsessing about an issue that seems to be quite trivial will never allow you to sit back and relax and enjoy it (im sure Ill take hell myself for that comment)

BTW, my build date is July 2013.

PS- D-Nice came and caliobrated it and it looks amazing with all content I've fed it.

My life is set at reference level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1508 Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T I G View Post

And whats this about causing hairline cracks?

You can read all about it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515499/the-zt60-microfracture-case-log-and-discussion
post #1413 of 1508 Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Deleted.
post #1414 of 1508 Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Finally, at the 11th hour (month, more specifically) I had er' done! I will be intently watching for any signs of crackage over the next 3 weeks. I helped the tech, and I think we got her back in the groove successfully. As others have stated, there is maybe a 50% reduction in sound. Not sure it was worth all the trouble, and it doesn't leave me too exuberant about purchasing future Panasonic products when they take such a blatant engineering shortcut. Better than overheating but not very conducive to a home theater and the volume dynamics of movies.

Quote:

soytainly, but the stress and fear of damaging the panel offsets the somewhat minor improvement, along with the fact that I had to help lift it off and back onto the TV stand (my tendinitis and trigger finger have made me considerably weaker, so it was no easy task) and cut my finger on the razor sharp metal of the back cover itself as we removed it. Finally, one of the screws near the bottom wouldn't even line up properly so as to be screwed back in, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the glass in the coming weeks.

Vinnie, do you think the result you got was worth the hassle? Would you have had the fix done if you knew before the fix what you know now?
post #1415 of 1508 Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Haven't watched it that much since the fix, but any improvement in the noisiest TV I've ever owned is a welcome improvement.
post #1416 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Haven't watched it that much since the fix, but any improvement in the noisiest TV I've ever owned is a welcome improvement.

Any updates? How does the TV now sound; significantly better than before the fix?
post #1417 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Still haven't watched that much...enjoying that LG OLED a little too much! I can confirm the ZT remains quieter than it did prior to fix (think of a soft hum versus a jet engine if you want a crude analogy) and no cracks have developed yet, even with the missing screw. wink.gif
post #1418 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Vinnie97 a missing screw the repair man could not get all the screw in? Did they tell why all the screw would not Line up.that's crazy they came out they should go back in and how do you like your OLED
post #1419 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Yes, it would only partially enter at an angle while all the rest went in straight as a beam. He's been in the business a few decades and says this is not the first occurrence where this has happened.
post #1420 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
True I have been in the auto repair for about 30 years and it's funny you can take something apart fairly easy but when it's time to put it back together it wants to give you a hard time.well as long as it works that's all that matters
post #1421 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Still haven't watched that much...enjoying that LG OLED a little too much! I can confirm the ZT remains quieter than it did prior to fix (think of a soft hum versus a jet engine if you want a crude analogy) and no cracks have developed yet, even with the missing screw. wink.gif

Have we lost you to OLED forever?
post #1422 of 1508 Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM

The size still has something to keep me coming back on occasion (no way would I formally replace it with a 55" panel), but the answer to your question depends a lot upon how improved the gen 2 OLEDs are (along with my ability to raise funds to replace the ZT some day with preferably a larger screen size).smile.gif
post #1423 of 1508 Old 05-23-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

I have the VT and has tried to solve the noise problem. I got a technesian out who changed the fans to new ones?!? That off course did not change anything and he had never heard of any foam kit :-(

I call Panasonic while he was here and they confirmed they had a foam kit but the tv needed to come to a servicecenter for this...

We tried the tv with out the back plate but the noise level was exactly the same as when it was mounted...

Dont know what to do now, either accept or try again with panasonic to get them to install the foam kit...

Frustrated!!
post #1424 of 1508 Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Try again. The ZT is too good not to try again. You may find the fan noise grows on you after a period of time, to where you don't really notice it.
Also, consider installing a baffle on over the fans. Search the forum for different types you can build. Top Gun is one type. People have even tried the Plunger type. They work too!
post #1425 of 1508 Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik West View Post

I call Panasonic while he was here and they confirmed they had a foam kit but the tv needed to come to a servicecenter for this...

Where do you live? Seems just about everybody in the US gets a home visit to have the foam installed.
post #1426 of 1508 Old 05-24-2014, 03:01 PM

Yep, TVs up to 42" go to the shop. Larger TVs are serviced on site.
post #1427 of 1508 Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Before I go to pulling down my 65VT60, can you tell me if there's any need to maintenance the fans and vents (vacuum or blow out)? If so, is it a fairly straightforward job? The reason I ask is we have been doing a lot of remodeling here, and my entire TV room has been covered in white dust from sheetrock work in a room fairly far away. The dust has gotten into everything I own and I've had to clean out a lot of other equipment already. If this is something I should do, please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!
post #1428 of 1508 Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

The dust has gotten into everything I own and I've had to clean out a lot of other equipment already.!

I think you answered your own question. If the TV is full of dust you are setting it up for overheating and fan motor failure. Unless you have access to a air compressor with a high pressure nozzle I'm afraid your in for dis-assembly and cleaning.
post #1429 of 1508 Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have an 80 gallon 5 HP two stage compressor in my shop, and plenty of hose to reach the TV. So for air, I'm good. I wasn't clear on my question I see, what I meant was where are the areas I should concentrate on if I'm going to blow it out? I'm not familiar with where the points are I should direct the air to get all the dust out in a safe manner.
post #1430 of 1508 Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 AM

Hi.

I am danish but live in Spain and unfortunately there are a big language barrier... But I will have to try again because the fan noise is annoying me.
post #1431 of 1508 Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM

I consider myself fairly noise tolerant. However, the Panasonic Vt65 fan noise drove my to have the foam fix installed.  

The irritating whiny pitch was gone immediately and fan noise volume is way down. The foam fix is enough for me to the point I no longer notice the fan in low volume situations. .

The Panasonic service man told me that, in order for the foam to be effective, the pieces of foam must touch the fans physically. The key for the foam fix to dampen the fan vibration. I believe that the fan vibration is getting amplified by the enclosure. Others in this forum have pointed out the fan is silent when the back cover is removed. So, it lends credence to theory that the fan vibration is the main culprit.

Get the Panasonic foam fix installed first before passing further judgement. With the official foam fix, I am getting to enjoy more and more the spectacular VT picture quality.    

post #1432 of 1508 Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 AM

Thanks for your reply. I tried the fans with the back cover off and the noise was almost the same! But it has gotten to a point where it really annoys me, I can hear it al the time in more or less silent scenes!

I will push on for the foam kit and cross my fingers...

Panirama; when you say that the should phiysically touch the fan, do you mean the fanblades?
post #1433 of 1508 Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM

No, the fan encasement.
post #1434 of 1508 Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You want to know how I got rid of my fan noise? I stopped reading this thread and any thread pertaining to this issue. I no longer hear it and am enjoying the tv immensely.
eaayoung likes this.
post #1435 of 1508 Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboaudi View Post
You want to know how I got rid of my fan noise? I stopped reading this thread and any thread pertaining to this issue. I no longer hear it and am enjoying the tv immensely.
That approach had worked well for me in thr past but in this case the issue for me was too much to make trying to ignore it work.

That said, I did apply your approach to what I replaced the pani with and automagically my new set had zero issues as soon as I stopped reading about esoteric and purist issues here.

This is a great forum but it can cause obsessive folks like me to worry about things that otherwise would go unoiticed. Still love the forum but just dont go into threads about my set uless I need something specific.

So that is good advice.
post #1436 of 1508 Old 06-17-2014, 11:59 AM

I'm very sorry to come across this thread and seeing people are still plagued by the VT's fan noise. It drove me insane. Returning the VT was tough to do, i don't regret it for one tenth of a second. While my current set's PQ does NOT match the VT60, i enjoy it much more as i'm not constantly wrestling with the fan noise interference, looking for a "safe" fix.

If the fan noise is ruining your viewing experience, sell the TV and get something else.
post #1437 of 1508 Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased the VT60. I aslo have the fan problem and had the fix last week. While the noise is slightly less it is still unacceptable. I'm planning to replace the fans by bigger (slower) 120mm PC fans. The fan connectors are different from the connector on a PC fan. I don't want to cut the fan cable just in case I need to replace them for warranty. Does anyone know the name of the type of connectors used in the Pana? I will be placing my results here.

Thanks!
post #1438 of 1508 Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Has anyone measured the sound level of the fans? Before and after?

My projector is around 30db and it sits 5 feet above my head and does not bother me at all. I can't imagine the ZT60 fans being any louder then this plus it would be further then 5 feet from your head.
post #1439 of 1508 Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiesum View Post
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased the VT60. I aslo have the fan problem and had the fix last week. While the noise is slightly less it is still unacceptable. I'm planning to replace the fans by bigger (slower) 120mm PC fans. The fan connectors are different from the connector on a PC fan. I don't want to cut the fan cable just in case I need to replace them for warranty. Does anyone know the name of the type of connectors used in the Pana? I will be placing my results here.

Thanks!
I wonder how the tv may react to a lower RPM fan. If it thinks the fans are broken it may power down.
post #1440 of 1508 Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
I wonder how the tv may react to a lower RPM fan. If it thinks the fans are broken it may power down.
I would take great care in the fan replacement selection, you need a fan with a Tachometer wire, 3rd wire, as the set monitors the fan speed. If it sees something wrong the power light will flash 11 times and repeat that sequence as the indicator there is a bad fan. As far as I could tell from the schematic it does not look like it will shut the TV down, there is separate temp sensors that do that.

As you can see from the schematic below, the fan has a TachOut signal that goes back to the main control board and will detect that the fan is not at the RPM expected, the downside of this is that it is a variable speed fan and when the control circuit sees it is not running at the right speed it will raise the fan output voltage to the max or until it hits the speed it wants, so you may just end up with a big fan going the same speed.

Personally I would get a cheap fan controller from Amazon and manage temp and fan speed without tapping into the Panni circuit at all and just un plug the factory fan and accept the 11 flashes of the on off light, which is way better than the fan noise.

Disclaimer -- I returned my ZT60 due to the fan noise and went with another set, I knew it would drive me up a wall and that "noise" problems are very hard to fix, but I had it for a week and had bought the service manual, thus the picture. I still follow this thread to see if any actually fully beats this issue.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page