Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #1471 of 1477 Unread 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Have you tried increasing the size of the holes? That should reduce the temperature but may not result in a increase in fan noise. It's been suggested the fan noise is not really the fans themselves but harmonics from the rear cover. Just a thought.
When the cover was off, I could not hear the fans.
So it was either that they were horizontal or the cover is adding noise and amplifying vibration.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1477 Unread 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Have you tried increasing the size of the holes? That should reduce the temperature but may not result in a increase in fan noise. It's been suggested the fan noise is not really the fans themselves but harmonics from the rear cover. Just a thought.
yes, it does seem to be harmonics. depending where i sit in the room i can hear it or not hear it... really irritating, since the only place i hear it is really the only place i sit in the room 11 feet back from the TV. the pitch is at a frequency that seems to bounce off the walls.

i'll try making another set with wider holes and see how that goes. i guess the ideal way to do this would be to get the temperature as close to possible as not having them.
post #1473 of 1477 Unread 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Room acoustics due to size and shape and how open it is plays a big part too. Among other things like model and size tv. Volum levels, with or without surround sound. All these differing variables is why it's a diffrent reported expierence by everyone.
post #1474 of 1477 Unread 07-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
When the cover was off, I could not hear the fans.
So it was either that they were horizontal or the cover is adding noise and amplifying vibration.

- Rich
okay, making the hole bigger did make it a bit louder. the hottest the inside of the cover got was 134F.

just how much of a fire hazard is this? or will it burn out the components in the TV faster/prematurely?
post #1475 of 1477 Unread 07-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile View Post
okay, making the hole bigger did make it a bit louder. the hottest the inside of the cover got was 134F.

just how much of a fire hazard is this? or will it burn out the components in the TV faster/prematurely?
Bigger holes raised the temperature?

Anyway, have you tried with just one or two of the fans covered? (The center one should be the least noisy one, it is the one that doesn't have any additional foam applied for "the fix".)

Seems to me my set does run hotter/noiser during the summer months, though I don't hear it so much any more, except when I turn it off after turning the receiver (audio) off beforehand. Do have a bit of tape covering the fan exhaust, at the time I put it in place it did seem to reduce the noise a bit (not enough) and didn't seem to matter with respect to how warm/hot the back got.

Like with the other minor annoyances with the set (except for some pesky IR), I don't really pay it much mind any more, but still wouldn't mind a quick fix.
post #1476 of 1477 Unread 07-16-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Bigger holes raised the temperature?

Anyway, have you tried with just one or two of the fans covered? (The center one should be the least noisy one, it is the one that doesn't have any additional foam applied for "the fix".)

Seems to me my set does run hotter/noiser during the summer months, though I don't hear it so much any more, except when I turn it off after turning the receiver (audio) off beforehand. Do have a bit of tape covering the fan exhaust, at the time I put it in place it did seem to reduce the noise a bit (not enough) and didn't seem to matter with respect to how warm/hot the back got.

Like with the other minor annoyances with the set (except for some pesky IR), I don't really pay it much mind any more, but still wouldn't mind a quick fix.
oh no, making the holes bigger didn't increase the temp, i'm just saying in general the hottest inside one of the foam covers i measured was 134F. i notice that i need to have them all covered to almost eliminate the sound.
post #1477 of 1477 Unread 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile View Post
oh no, making the holes bigger didn't increase the temp, i'm just saying in general the hottest inside one of the foam covers i measured was 134F. i notice that i need to have them all covered to almost eliminate the sound.
Got it. I had the tv running a bit with no sound earlier today, was actually pretty loud, at least off to the side. But with the avr at normal volume, didn't notice it at all. Probably been a while since a suitably quiet movie has been attempted, it would seem.

(It was a pretty quiet day around here mostly, though my flakey internet made it even quieter for most of the day... brief respite for now...)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List