Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a 65" ZT60 on Tuesday and installed it yesterday. I was a little concerned about the noise issues but I have to put my head behind the TV to hear the fans with no sound on in the room. If I turn the set on, I hear the fans spin up for a few seconds as long as there is no other noise in the room but that's it. The # is A06111 with a June 2013 build date.
This is by far the most expensive TV I have ever purchased but the picture is absolutely stunning. I had narrowed down my choices to this or the Samsung and had the guy at BB put the same disc into the blu-ray players that were hooked up to them. With the same scene running on both sets side by side, I changed settings on each one and after an hour or so, the Panasonic ended up coming home with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Waiting to hear reports on whether flipping the rubber boot/bushing around eliminates the noise with out installing the foam. Also wanting to know which foam kit to get. A Home Depot part number would be great! smile.gif or if Panasonic will ship out the kit so we can do it ourselves. I hate putting my trust in others competence. :/ if I do it, I know it will be done correctly. smile.gif
Lost! likes this.

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #183 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 15
I realize it won't be the same, but does anyone have an audio recording of this up close that we can compare to ours up close?

I have before/after recordings of a Fix 1.0. I can PM them if you'd like. If I remember correctly they are of the startup of a cold set and truly do not do justice to the racket this display is capable of once it gets cookin'.
post #184 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Waiting to hear reports on whether flipping the rubber boot/bushing around eliminates the noise with out installing the foam. Also wanting to know which foam kit to get. A Home Depot part number would be great! smile.gif or if Panasonic will ship out the kit so we can do it ourselves. I hate putting my trust in others competence. :/ if I do it, I know it will be done correctly. smile.gif

This is probably close...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Rubber-Foam-Tape-R534H/202262324
post #185 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedizzel View Post

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Rubber-Foam-Tape-R534H/202262324

The foams in the pictures seem to be a little thicker though.
post #186 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Well, I have had a chance to try out my 65ZT60 after the repairman came to install fan fix 1.0. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have addressed my problem. I still hear the moderately low frequency hum that comes and goes toward the right side of the screen. Maybe my issue wasn't the fans or the fix didn't address it. I am going to live with it for a few days to see whether it changes. If not, I may ask to see if the version 2.0 fix helps.

I am a bit disappointed. It is a very expensive television and I was hoping for a better experience. it was a fair amount of effort to have it dismounted from the wall for the repairman. Grumble. The picture remains fantastic. It would be a big downer if I have to return it.
post #187 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

The foams in the pictures seem to be a little thicker though.

Hey, I said it was close. Cut to size smile.gif
post #188 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedizzel View Post

At my HD, I found a 1/2in W by 3/8 D 10ft roll. I had to double it to get enough depth. I went this way, since it was easier to double stack vs cutting for me.

The foam in the official Panasonic fix is more narrow (more like 3/8in) and higher, but not enough to close the air gap between the panel and the fan mount. Double stacking HD foam does close the air gap and is probably the same effect as reversing the fan trick without opening up a another gap between the fan mount and the panel vents.
Lost! likes this.
post #189 of 1508 Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM

My latest fan saga.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about trying to get Panasonic to commit to a fix. As discussed, they finally agreed to fix and the part was ordered. However, I was close to my already extended return window and went ahead and set up a return as far out as possible at the time, which was the 20th. While waiting for the official fix, I did try a home made fix using foam from HD. I got good results and was encouraged that the official fix would be the same or better.

However, I did get last week the official fix and watched the installer put the foam exactly where the Panasonic instructions indicated. Unfortunately, the noise now shifted to the left fan (facing the TV) and was louder then my homemade fix. Bummer! I did noticed the official fix had an air gap around the fan mount and the foam could actuality be seen looking at the fan mount. That did not seen right, but it was the "official" fix. So I had decided over the weekend to let the return take place as scheduled. And just give up.

However, the posts saying the reversal fan trick seem to help for some and was actually closer to my homemade fix, which had no air gap bewtwen the panel and fan mount. So thinking, maybe I had gotten lucky and did what reversing the fans are doing by using the more depth foam - i.e.closing the air gap. So Monday, I delayed one again the return to next Tuesday and got the old screw driver out for one more last attempt.

Facing the set, I moved the official Panasonic foam on the right fan outward to totally clearly the fan mount and allow better air flow. The way Panasonic had it would seem to make the fan a smaller fan size, since the foam protrudes into the fan air flow space and would seem to not let the blades pull as much air as it could. Probably minor, but def closer to the original intent of the fan.

On the now louder left fan, I moved out the one Panasonic strip to again clear the fan mount opening to allow better air flow. I also noticed it seem to close the air gap between the panel and fan mount somewhat. Hmm. And since the left fan has no heat producing components above it, I put a additional HD foam strip on the top- hopefully similar to what the right fan strips are doing and reducing the turbulences in a like manner as the right fan official fix.

I did not reverse the fans on either side, since I like the concept of the existing foam strips to direct the air movement directly to the panel vents and not risk the possibility of some leakage of hot air back into the panel cavity.

I put the panel back on and the left fan noise was much reduced again as the home fix. No change that I could hear on the right fan. I can just barely hear the fans again (like the home fix) and now can hear only the panel buzz as the only variable noise. This is good, since just normal plasma noise.

I guess I could try to see how the left fan would work without the new top HD foam piece, but I do like the idea that it might be pulling more hot air from the electronics below. Probably moot, but doubt if it hurts either.

Important edit: I completely forgot to add that since I did not want to remove the official Panasonic foam. I used electoral tape to seal off any air gaps around the shorter Panasonic foam. This makes the official Panasonic fix equivalent to my original home fix and is probably the reason for the major noise reduction.

Sorry late night post and just forgot to make the key point that I was trying to duplicate the HD home fix.
post #190 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 AM

Liked: 11
Hi

I just had the TV engineer out to "Flip Over the Fan Bushes" however after just a short while viewing, I'm finding the TV Panel back is getting a lot hotter!!!

OK it's reduced the fan noise but to the disadvantage of making the TV heat up more! which I'm not happy about, I think the reason now is by flipping over the bushes, this has created an air gap between the exhaust of the fan and the back panel so hot air is being simply sucked back around the fan rather than being expelled out the back. I can tell this as if you hold your hand near the vent you can no longer feel the hot air being blown out like it used to?

I think what is needed now is more foam around the fan to stop it leaking back inside, but then I expect the noise would return???? Now I don't know what to do???
post #191 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 AM

Going to get them put back immediately before this procedure damages the TV due to over heating !!!!
post #192 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallis77 View Post

Well, I have had a chance to try out my 65ZT60 after the repairman came to install fan fix 1.0. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have addressed my problem. I still hear the moderately low frequency hum that comes and goes toward the right side of the screen. Maybe my issue wasn't the fans or the fix didn't address it. I am going to live with it for a few days to see whether it changes. If not, I may ask to see if the version 2.0 fix helps.

I am a bit disappointed. It is a very expensive television and I was hoping for a better experience. it was a fair amount of effort to have it dismounted from the wall for the repairman. Grumble. The picture remains fantastic. It would be a big downer if I have to return it.

Could my problem be the buzzing of the plasma panel itself? How loud is the plasma buzz supposed to be? The buzz that I hear is clearly heard from across the room when my audio system is muted. I got up close to the TV while listening near the back and I can hear the fans but that sound seems steady. The buzz that I hear increases and decreases and definitely seems to come from the lower right side of the screen. Perhaps I need to get the service people to come out and listen to it while it is on the wall. Maybe they can diagnose it further.
post #193 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins View Post

I think what is needed now is more foam around the fan to stop it leaking back inside, but then I expect the noise would return???? Now I don't know what to do???

I think if we reverse the fans, we should use something like this:

post #194 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Well I've had the TV engineer back today and we put both fans back around to normal way so noise has returned :-(

What I've done now is ordered some 120mm fan filters in the hope if I attach these to the back panel it will muffle the noise?

I am very tempted just to cut out the two holes?? I'm convinced it's simply those punched holes making the noise? But I'm going to see if just added the fan filters on the back will quiten it down enough?
post #195 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Hi

I just had the TV engineer out to "Flip Over the Fan Bushes" however after just a short while viewing, I'm finding the TV Panel back is getting a lot hotter!!!

OK it's reduced the fan noise but to the disadvantage of making the TV heat up more! which I'm not happy about, I think the reason now is by flipping over the bushes, this has created an air gap between the exhaust of the fan and the back panel so hot air is being simply sucked back around the fan rather than being expelled out the back. I can tell this as if you hold your hand near the vent you can no longer feel the hot air being blown out like it used to?

This was my suspicion, as noted in my post. I would want to keep the air flow from the fan mount going directly out the panel mesh vents. Not some leakage back into the set. Thanks for confirming. I do use an IR thermometer to check out the set's temperature on any change. So far I am not noticing any additional overall heat of the panel. The homemade top vents, as you noted, did cause a considerable rise.
post #196 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Forgot to add this important fan change to the official Panasonic fix of my latest attempts to reduce the fan noise. Gosh, these late night posts. Sorry and this was the key change. Darn....

What I edited/added to the original post:

"Important edit: I completely forgot to add that since I did not want to remove the official Panasonic foam. I used electoral tape to seal off any air gaps around the shorter Panasonic foam. This makes the official Panasonic fix equivalent to my original home fix and is probably the reason for the major noise reduction."

It is beginning to seem the most important thing is reducing more air turbulence by eliminating the air gaps completely around the fans mounts. And it does not hurt to reposition the foam to match the curve of the fan mount too. It will not look pretty until you put the fan back into position, but I do believe the straight strips is not the best way either to maximize the air flow and further reduce turbulence.
post #197 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoor View Post

Forgot to add this important fan change to the official Panasonic fix of my latest attempts to reduce the fan noise. Gosh, these late night posts. Sorry and this was the key change. Darn....

What I edited/added to the original post:

"Important edit: I completely forgot to add that since I did not want to remove the official Panasonic foam. I used electoral tape to seal off any air gaps around the shorter Panasonic foam. This makes the official Panasonic fix equivalent to my original home fix and is probably the reason for the major noise reduction."

It is beginning to seem the most important thing is reducing more air turbulence by eliminating the air gaps completely around the fans mounts. And it does not hurt to reposition the foam to match the curve of the fan mount too. It will not look pretty until you put the fan back into position, but I do believe the straight strips is not the best way either to maximize the air flow and further reduce turbulence.

If you ever opened your set again, can you please take some pictures? smile.gif

I am actually interested to do this myself, and I can get the foams from HD.
post #198 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM

Here is the update from my not so successful repair: I called up the service company first to ask if I should handle this through them or through Panasonic. They said that they can have the repairman come out again to see what the situation is really like and diagnose it from there. I think that's fair. I will talk to them again on Monday. I think this is a pretty serious issue. After the repair, I think the noise is actually a bit worse than before. As I noted above, I am not even entirely sure that the problem is the fans. But I will await further diagnostics. I otherwise really like the TV.
post #199 of 1508 Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Could my problem be the buzzing of the plasma panel itself? How loud is the plasma buzz supposed to be? The buzz that I hear is clearly heard from across the room when my audio system is muted. I got up close to the TV while listening near the back and I can hear the fans but that sound seems steady. The buzz that I hear increases and decreases and definitely seems to come from the lower right side of the screen. Perhaps I need to get the service people to come out and listen to it while it is on the wall. Maybe they can diagnose it further.

The Plasma buzz is quite loud. You can play a 100% white slide with a USB drive and then all you hear is the buzz.
post #200 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:

Well I've had the TV engineer back today and we put both fans back around to normal way so noise has returned :-(

What I've done now is ordered some 120mm fan filters in the hope if I attach these to the back panel it will muffle the noise?

I am very tempted just to cut out the two holes?? I'm convinced it's simply those punched holes making the noise? But I'm going to see if just added the fan filters on the back will quiten it down enough?

They might impede airflow hence causing overheating.

I think the reversing the rubber bushes plus foam housing around the perimeter of the fan so it seals the fan onto the back panel hence no dissipation of air will do the trick.

The other option would be to remove the back and with a larger diameter drill bit using the existing holes drill out large holes hence reducing air turbulence effects.
post #201 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

First time I heard mine buzz, it turned out to be the UPS it was plugged into that was buzzing, not the tv, when a mostly white screen was being displayed. Hooked up directly to wall outlet no buzz.

Since then, when I played the slides has been the only time I've actually heard the tv buzz. (Only played them for an hour or two, got some weird green tinged white noise at the bottom of my screen (after changing some setting) that I've not been able to make go away when playing slides, so just gave up on running them (also may have been some image retention going on).)

The fans... guess it's been a bit noisier in my house lately, so don't hear them so often. Last time I listened though, they did seem to be audible over my fridge, which can be somewhat noisy (different frequencies though).
post #202 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 527
No buzzer with my VT. Even DNice commented about that when he did my calibration. My Kuro knew how to buzz but when listening at normal volumes the buzz (Kuro) and fan noise (VT) are not a problem.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #203 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

The Plasma buzz is quite loud. You can play a 100% white slide with a USB drive and then all you hear is the buzz.

I experimented a bit and I still hear the noise even if the screen is quite dark. I conclude that it may still be the fans but the repair simply didn't fix it. I will now await further diagnosis by the repair company next week.
post #204 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I experimented a bit and I still hear the noise even if the screen is quite dark. I conclude that it may still be the fans but the repair simply didn't fix it. I will now await further diagnosis by the repair company next week.

Buzz is on the bright screen not dark. I think you wanted to say "quite bright" here, right?
post #205 of 1508 Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

No buzzer with my VT. Even DNice commented about that when he did my calibration. My Kuro knew how to buzz but when listening at normal volumes the buzz (Kuro) and fan noise (VT) are not a problem.

Definitely no buzz from my 65Vt60 . But yes there is fan noise. My VT20 was a buzzer.
post #206 of 1508 Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any new news?

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #207 of 1508 Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM

I haven't yet heard from the service company about a possible second service call. I am no longer positive that the noise that my set makes is the fans. The noise is louder when showing brighter content on the screen but even on bright screens it comes and goes. It is a buzz that seems to come from the lower right part of the screen and is relatively low in pitch. I will call up the service company again and see what they say. The picture remains excellent. I just wish the noise was less distracting.
post #208 of 1508 Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM

I heard from the service company today. They claim that there is no "version 2.0" fix for the fans and since I have had fan fix "1.0", they don't think they can do more. I have still asked for a service call to have them come and hear the TV as I use it: mounted on the wall. They could say "that's normal" and I will have to decide whether that is something I can live with or not. But it could also be something else like a funny power supply or something and I would like them to rule that out.

The problem with the sound is that sometimes movies have soft (if not silent) spots and I clearly hear the sound at those times and that's an issue. This is my first plasma and maybe everyone else lives with it. The picture is indeed excellent and that's really the only reason I haven't decided to try a different TV. If this sound is normal, I have a difficult decision to make.
post #209 of 1508 Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM

I may have a breakthrough! After reading a few posts above, I thought it might be worth a try to see whether my electrical outlets have anything to do with it. My TV is plugged into my power conditioner along with all of my other audio equipment. I plugged the TV directly to the wall and unplugged everything else except my source component to feed a signal to the TV. The buzz from the TV is still there but *much* quieter. Then I started to plug in other stuff. To my surprise, when I plugged in my subwoofer, *it* started to buzz along with the TV. That's why I was hearing a buzz that is too loud: both the TV and the subwoofer are buzzing in concert. When the TV is off, no buzz through the subwoofer or anything else. Now I suspect that the TV power supply is pulling current oddly in a fashion that the subwoofer doesn't like. I listened even more carefully and I can hear my amplifier also buzz along with the TV. It doesn't appear to matter whether the TV is plugged in to the conditioner or not -- as long as it is on the same circuit as the other stuff, they buzz.

Now if I can figure out how to get the audio stuff not to buzz when the TV is on, I think I can live with the buzz from the TV itself. I am going to try plugging the TV into a surge protector and the rest of the stuff through the conditioner. Unfortunately, I don't have any plugs near the TV that are on a different circuit. That would probably do the trick. More experimentation to follow.
post #210 of 1508 Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Tallis,

You have a typical 'ground loop' problem. Google the phrase. There is a lot out there about solutions.

Larry
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page