Thanks for the detailed reply & your recommendations!
"Due diligence" research:
In comparison to our 16 trouble-free years from our 36" Toshiba CRT:
P50ST50: CR overall score 76, CR user reviews of concern (out of 8 total reviews):
- 3/23/2013 - "Lasted 18 months"
- 3/20/2013 - "Beware of burn-in problem!": "Burn-in After 6 Weeks, Burn-in Not Warranted"
- 11/17/2012 - "BURN IN<<< DONT BUY"
- 11/7/2012 - "very limited web video capability": "Difficult Remote Control, Limited Web Video, Low Function Web Browser, Poor product support"
TC-P55ST60: CR overall score 72 (below avg. sound quality), No CR user reviews.
P60ST50: CR overall score 77, CR user reviews of concern (out of 3 total reviews):
- 8/13/2012 - "blinking red light": "after a while the TV will not turn on and the red light blinks. internet search implies this is a chronic probe with panasonic TV's and little if nothing can be done about it."
CR has not yet rated the Panasonic Viera TC-P65ST60, TC-P60ST60, TC-P50ST60.
1. - What is the difference between the older ST50 compared to the current ST60 series? Was the speaker system changed?
I understand that plasma technology is much more complex than the old reliable CRT sets.
2. - How much of a concern are these user identified issues in light of Panny's Plasma 3% rate of "Repairs and Serious Problems" as identified in CR's Brand Reliability survey?
3. - Any recommendations to minimize the odds of these issues?
4. - Are extended warranties worth the added cost for these issues?Core NeoPlasma panel and Anti-Reflective Louver Filter
5. - How does the following model compare to the ST60
? There are minimal specs on the Panasonic web site for this model. Was it designed exclusively for Costco?TC-50PS64
50" "Infinite Black
" How does this differ from "Infinite Black Pro
(No customer reviews to date on Costco website.) AVS poll thread