Panasonic new tvs .. And light of death? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I want to ask panasonic users.. Is the problem of "light of death" solved in the new plasma tvs? Because i called the dealer today and he said this is an old issue with old models , and they solved it .. And stopped receiving complaints about it since a year and a half !!!!

I think he is not honest and just wanted to sell his panny tvs !!

I'm planning to get one of the VT series .

Please advice me .. I couldn't find a better tv in terms of picture quality , and i'm afraid to get this red light issue.

Waiting for your advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Exactly what do you mean by "Light of Death"??

If you're talking about the red LED blinking, it is simply a diagnostic function letting you know that there is some sort of fault inside the TV, not some specific problem. There are many different defects that will trigger the blinking code, and the pattern/number of blinks helps narrow the fault down when diagnosing the TV.

Panasonic's defect rate is lower than any brand of TV you can buy.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaxp View Post

Hello all,

I want to ask panasonic users.. Is the problem of "light of death" solved in the new plasma tvs? Because i called the dealer today and he said this is an old issue with old models , and they solved it .. And stopped receiving complaints about it since a year and a half !!!!

I think he is not honest and just wanted to sell his panny tvs !!

I'm planning to get one of the VT series .

Please advice me .. I couldn't find a better tv in terms of picture quality , and i'm afraid to get this red light issue.

Waiting for your advice.

Thanks

ZT is better quality unless u have 0 lighting in the room

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

post #4 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The difference between Panasonic and Samsung/LG in this area is when Panasonic goes bad it tells you where the fault is and gives you good information on how to fix it. But with Samsung/LG you need to use test equipment and service guides to fix them.

The dealer would be lying by saying they "fixed" the problem, as displays continue to have faults with a low percentage today, and they continue to use the red light to indicate a fault condition where necessary. In my experience Panasonic plasmas are the most reliable of any plasmas, indeed of any TV, but they can and do go wrong sometimes. I read somewhere the defect rate (after a few years) is around 2~3% for Panasonic, 3~4% for LG and 6% for Samsung.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 22
Randy, depends on what you consider a defect. Every Panny I've tried for years has excessively loud buzzing, more noticeable flicker to me than any other brand, and for years in a row people report some green blob issue and fluctuating black levels.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If by red light "of death" you mean the power LED on bright while the set is on, that issue can easily be resolved by using the "Light Dim" product.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Randy, depends on what you consider a defect. Every Panny I've tried for years has excessively loud buzzing, more noticeable flicker to me than any other brand, and for years in a row people report some green blob issue and fluctuating black levels.

And all of that still adds up to the most reliable brand (BY FAR) sold.

Tony
post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Maybe for plasmas, since barely any brands make them.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

I have four Panasonic Plasmas and none of them have the defects you've listed, although my 8-year-old PX50U has started to buzz a little after 8 years of virtual silence, but we still can't hear it from the couch. On top of that, i've installed over a dozen Panasonic plasmas for others and only one guy had a problem - the first ST30 buzzed at 5 feet when we tested it during delivery and we refused it. The driver even said it buzzes louder than normal. The replacement TV the following week didn't buzz at all but several months later suddenly developed a severe buzz which was fixed by a board replacement under warranty. He's the only guy i personally know who has had a Panasonic failure - and he had TWO of em. Everybody elses are working fine or i'd surely hear about it. And then there's my customers (A/V/Data/Security Contractors) who install displays in corporate and government offices all use Panasonics because they have the lowest failure rate.

Quote:
Maybe for plasmas, since barely any brands make them.

They are the most reliable brand of TV regardless of technology including LCD. LCD TVs have more electronics inside and are typically made by 2nd and 3rd tier companies so they are more prone to failure. You apparently had a bad string of luck, but it's not representative of the whole line.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

I've never owned Panasonic until this year, and I've seen this flicker on the ZT60 a couple of times on the first content I watched, but I'm going to blame that on an errant setting. It's still early days on my end but in 96 hz mode, that's been eliminated entirely. Buzzing is typical of plasma, nothing extreme or even detectable from the typical viewing distance (or closer). Ever so slight vertical DSE and pulsating fan noise (only heard in a completely silent room) are my only remaining complaints. I even did a Kuro comparison side-by-side...depending on the scene, the black levels were close to equitable with one occasionally looking darker than the other depending on the content on-screen.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Did the buzzing seem the same level in both though? In my opinion the 111 FD has less than the 2011 and 2012 Pannys I tried (ST30 and ST50). And I actually tried like 4 ST30s I believe, Always possible I just got used to it, so don't notice it as much on the kuro, but this is just my thoughts.

If I ahd the zt60 I would definitely use 96hz mode, although I assume it will either be unavailable or bad in anything other than 24.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I don't notice the buzzing anymore than I do on the Kuro when watching content aka virtually inaudible from my seating distance and with the hifi blaring, which is quite an accomplishment given the size disparity of the panels. wink.gif I haven't watched much other than Blu-ray films, so 96hz is a natural fit. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I'm watching Dish (which is rare).
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 AM

I watch tv more than movies usually. But it's definitely more important to me to have everything look and sound right when watching movies (blu rays).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page