Just went to HH Greg and now torn between VT60 65" and Samsung F8000 65" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this is a Plasma space but man the OLED from Samsung looked extremely nice next to this VT60 I just saw at the store. I am a current Panasonic 50" plasma owner and of course love the brand. My eyes are telling me go with the Samsung while my heart is telling me stick with Plasma. The room I am in is fairly bright, but I would not say my current plasma's glare bothers me. The tv will be used 30% for gaming, 50%for news, regular tv, sports, and 20% for movies etc. I am worried a little bit about burn in on the plasma as well.

What do you guys think, how should I objectively make this decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

I know this is a Plasma space but man the OLED from Samsung looked extremely nice next to this VT60 I just saw at the store. I am a current Panasonic 50" plasma owner and of course love the brand. My eyes are telling me go with the Samsung while my heart is telling me stick with Plasma. The room I am in is fairly bright, but I would not say my current plasma's glare bothers me. The tv will be used 30% for gaming, 50%for news, regular tv, sports, and 20% for movies etc. I am worried a little bit about burn in on the plasma as well.

What do you guys think, how should I objectively make this decision?

How much will a Samsung 50" OLED will cost you?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

How much will a Samsung 50" OLED will cost you?

Im looking at 65", the price on both is about the same
post #4 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
There's no O in front of LED (yet).

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
post #5 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The F8000 isn't particularly good for gaming due to high input lag. Game Mode isn't adept at reducing it; and while PC mode does bring it down to a more acceptable level of 40-50ms compared to Game Mode's 81ms, it has the disadvantage of disabling Smart LED, the picture setting responsible for keeping blacks deep and consistent.

If you liked the look of that LED compared to plasma, you might want to check out Sony's W900A. It should be around the same price or cheaper, but it has a slightly better picture than the Samsung and one of the fastest displays for gaming.

The W900A listed at 3,300 when I was shopping for an HDTV, so I went with the F8000. Naturally after my return window closed the price of the Sony dropped a thousand bleeping dollars. What the fudge...

Now I'm considering an affordable plasma for a second set dedicated to gaming. The VT60 is a little out of my range, unfortunately, but if I can find the ST50 (or if Panasonic reduces the input lag on the ST60) I'll probably pick one up in the next few months.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

The F8000 isn't particularly good for gaming due to high input lag. Game Mode isn't adept at reducing it; and while PC mode does bring it down to a more acceptable level of 40-50ms compared to Game Mode's 81ms, it has the disadvantage of disabling Smart LED, the picture setting responsible for keeping blacks deep and consistent.

If you liked the look of that LED compared to plasma, you might want to check out Sony's W900A. It should be around the same price or cheaper, but it has a slightly better picture than the Samsung (though its display supports a wider range of colors) and one of the fastest displays for gaming.

The W900A listed at 3,300 when I was shopping for an HDTV, so I went with the F8000. Naturally after my return window closed the price of the Sony dropped a thousand bleeping dollars. What the fudge...

Now I'm considering an affordable plasma for a second set dedicated to gaming. The VT60 is a little out of my range, unfortunately, but if I can find the ST50 (or if Panasonic reduces the input lag on the ST60) I'll probably pick one up in the next few months.

Hmm that panel looks awesome though it is only 55", is there anything bigger that is also great for games?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post

Hmm that panel looks awesome though it is only 55", is there anything bigger that is also great for games?
65" VT60 best tv for gamming and picture quality unless you get the ZT which is better viewing during day
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 AM

Liked: 18
If you like the pq of the F8000 but are used to the benefits of plasma then check out the Samsung F8500. Only downer isIits input lag only goes down to 40-50 ms when the input is set to PC mode.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ue40f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page