post #271 of 282 Old 06-07-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

I recently purchased a new 60" Samsung F8500. Clearly a great picture and, for me, superior to anything else out there including the Panasonic VT60 and ZT60. This TV is replacing a professional series Panasonic (50phd8uk) that I loved but was 8 years old.

The problem I have is an annoying buzz that seems to exist throughout the TV, front/back/left/right. It is extremely noticable if there is no volume and even with the sound at 18 it continues to clearly buzz from 6 feet or so from the set. It's not really loud, just an annoying incesssant buzz that gets a little louder with lighter scenes. Since I still have my old set mounted and working, it was easy for me to confirm that the Panasonic does not make any such buzzing sound (except real close to the back panel) and therefore I do not agree that "all plasmas buzz," at least to the same degree as this set.

Here and elsewhere I have seen the same general statements, all plasmas buzz (at least since they became so thin) or all Samsungs buzz or something equivalent. It is believed that people that don't have the "buzz" issue just can't hear it or are luckily not that sensitive to it. Essentially, I think the advice is something along the lines of, 'dude, learn to live with it, or return it and go to a different brand.' I like the picture enough that I may have to learn to live with it, but if there's any chance to get a set that doesn't buzz I don't mind taking the inititive and time to make it happen.

After noticing the problem, from the very first time I turned it on, I called Samsung and scheduled a technician to come out. I received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order (in advance) two internal boards that apparently often resolve the issue in so they could do more than just diagnose when they got out to my home. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The technician was very understanding, could hear it, and tried both of the boards, to no avail. He agreed to order a new panel, which is basically a new TV other than the frame.

He installed the new panel yesterday and it did not resolve the issue. It still buzzes, although there is little doubt that it buzzes less than the original panel. For that reason alone I am happy I went through the effort. But, if there really is the potential to obtain a set that doesn't buzz I would sure like to do so. I just came from BB/Magnolia where I tried my best to find a buzz in their display set so that I could satisfy myself that there really isn't a fix to this problem. I turned down the volume on as many sets as I could and put my ear right against the front of the panel and the rear of the panel. I honestly could not hear much, if any, buzz on the set in their store. Of course, there's a significant amount of ambiant noise so that certainly could be the reason. But I really tried to hear it, but didn't.

Long story short, would I be wasting my time pushing this issue further with Samsung or the retailer and try more panels or a new set altogether? I know some people don't hear the buzz but I think the annoyance of the buzz may very well be personal to the listener. In fact, the technician told me yesterday that he was in another home repairing the HDMI input on an F8500 and said he could hear the buzz but the customer wasn't complaining to him at all about it. I felt better that the technician could hear it but even he couldn't definitievely say whether the buzz was within normal levels or not.

I wonder if anyone had an F8500 and returned it because of the buzz and ultimately received one that didn't buzz. That would help determine if the buzz is on all of them or not. Wish I could just listen to five or six of them myself, but maybe finding out if anyone who hears the buzz was able to resolve it, is the next best thing.

I have the 50phd7uk....hard to imagine a better picture...have you actually found the 8500 to be better? If nothing else, concern for loss of detail going from 50" to 64". Thanks! (and have heard the 60" Samsung has much greater problem with buzzing than the 64" (something to do with the power supply). Colleague purchased the 64" --- no buzzing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 282 Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPulp View Post

Low volume I can hear it for the most part. In between dialogue exchanges sure. This is the directional buzzing not the normal plasma buzzing I'm talking about (that doesn't bother me, nor do I notice it much). This is unlike anything I've ever heard before. I wouldn't say it changes in intensity much, but black scenes seem to be the worst. I've only had it a day and put in maybe 8 or so hours. If I can hear it over a show or movie it's a problem, but unfortunately I'm listening for it now so it's hard to tell (and I swear I hear it everywhere now, so maybe I'm going mad). 

So your centered buzzing diminished after 500 hours? Or was that the normal buzzing?

Is the buzz at all high-pitched? Thanks.
post #273 of 282 Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Estiff, I do believe all plasmas buzz, but in varying degrees. It's almost futile to ask the question 'Does your plasma buzz'.

There are so many variables between hearing acuity, ambient room conditions (carpeting, window treatments, ceiling heights etc.), altitude, mounting approaches, seating distances and angles from the screen etc., you could have your very panel in 20 different homes and get 20 different responses.

If you can live with the buzz of your panel, then I'd say keep it. I don't think your odds of getting one much better will be great. If you read some other threads for other manufacturers, you'll see some people have fan noise in addition to buzzing. Only an LED will mitigate these issues, but then you'll take a hit in PQ with today's LED offerings.

I own Panasonic plasma....zero buzz.
post #274 of 282 Old 06-07-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

I'm having the same situation, I could hear the annoying high pitch buzz noise even I sit 10 feet away from the TV.

So the buzz IS HIGH -PITCHED! Ugg. Would be certain deal breaker for me no matter how slight if high-pitched.
post #275 of 282 Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

After a thorough inspection just now, I notice that the high pitch loud noise is actually coming from the left rear side of the TV, the right side is rather low in volume and the sound is low pitch instead.

High-pitched? Ugg.
post #276 of 282 Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The other 2 non-center- screen buzz types are fixable according to the posts on the 3 main F8500 threads

see my link on this page several posts ago to 3 F8500 buzzes

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #277 of 282 Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I would say it's high pitched if you angle your head right. Not always though. My buzz has diminished a bit and I'm close to 300 hours. I rarely notice it now that I'm not as concerned with it.

post #278 of 282 Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has the front facing buzzing problem improved at all as they continue to build these models? I'm looking at getting the 64 inch but the buzzing would be a deal breaker for me. I have a 5 year old panny plasma now and if I put my ear behind the unit I hear the buzzing but there is no buzz from the front. Looking through this thread it sounds like the 64 inch models are not as bad as the 60 inch one's … is it random whether there is a buzzing problem or does your elevation (I'm 240m above seat level) partially to blame for the front buzzing issue? Thanks
post #279 of 282 Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby244 View Post
Has the front facing buzzing problem improved at all as they continue to build these models? I'm looking at getting the 64 inch but the buzzing would be a deal breaker for me. I have a 5 year old panny plasma now and if I put my ear behind the unit I hear the buzzing but there is no buzz from the front. Looking through this thread it sounds like the 64 inch models are not as bad as the 60 inch one's … is it random whether there is a buzzing problem or does your elevation (I'm 240m above seat level) partially to blame for the front buzzing issue? Thanks
I bought the 60" last weekend and have very loud buzzing, I sit about 10 feet away from the TV. It's going back this weekend. Really sad because it is a stunning television, really everything else about it is mind blowing but the buzz is horrendous. I've sifted through dozens of forums and nobody seems to have a fix. Also, you should know that the F8500 runs incredibly hot - After watching a movie for a couple of hours I used my laser thermometer to measure the temp of the back panel and it was 132°F - VERY hot to the touch. Lastly, the date of manufacture on mine is 5/2014 so doesn't look like Samsung is going to do anything about it.
post #280 of 282 Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also in a similar predicament with my PN60F8500. I bought mine from Abe's of Maine so I have little recourse on returning it, but the buzzing is just too much to bear. I've tried to watch several movies on this display and I end up just obsessing about whether I can hear the buzzing every time there is a quiet scene and it is just too much. I agree with everything that has been said here as well, great picture just a horrible defect that isn't getting resolved. I may have to end up selling this used and seeing what I can get out of it. Not good at all.
post #281 of 282 Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM

I bought the 64 inch F8500 tonight, set it up, and don't hear any buzzing. I've been watching with the sound fully muted and there is a light buzz but to me it's no different then the sound my 5 year old panasonic had. With the sound on I don't hear anything. If I angle my head with my ear towards the TV the buzzing is slightly louder with no sound but with sound I am not hearing anything that bothers me (thankfully).
post #282 of 282 Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 AM

After spending a few days with the 64 inch 8500 here are some new thoughts on the buzzing for those that are interested

- There is a slight buzz if you mute all audio and turn your head to the side (pointing your ear directly at the TV), this is very minor to me and I probably wouldn't have even noticed without reading about the buzzing issues on this forum (knowing it exists is probably 80% of the problem)
- I think the distance you sit away from the set and how well you hear are two major factors in how sensitive you're going to be to it
- I can only hear the sound if I am sitting directly in front of the set. Best way I can describe this is I can only hear it if I'm directly in front of the TV, picture the ray of sound only coming from within the TV's borders directly forward. Example if the TV was on the ground and you stood up and your ear was above the top of the TV you can't hear the buzzing. If your TV was really high and you sit below the bottom of the set you can't hear the buzzing. If you have a couch directly in front of the TV and a lazy boy chair beside the couch but not directly in front of the TV you won't hear it while sitting in the lazy boy but would hear it while sitting on the couch. It's only when your ear is turned directly to the TV within it's direct forward facing direction (and who watches TV with their head turned to the far left or right and their ear facing the TV?)

Solutions:
- As some have posted the buzzing can fade over time
- Sit further away from the TV if possible
- If mounting the TV mount it slightly higher so you're eye level is at the bottom of the TV, or play around with the angle of the mount

Maybe my set just isn't as bad as some have posted but I think if you're hearing this there are ways around the buzzing. For me it's not bothering me at all, I was more curious than anything. With audio I don't hear it and if I mute the TV it's a very light buzz noise. Personally I am in the middle of finishing my basement so I am going to mount it slightly higher so my eye level is at the bottom of the set
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page