post #361 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
I've just seen it mentioned in the forums, just like elevation causes buzzing; e.g, LivSimple: Hi! i am REALLY thinking about getting this set. Do you have this plasma plugged into the wall or is it plugged into a line conditioner. It could be noise introduced into the set from being plugged into the wall. I would try hooking it up to a line conditioning power center from Monster or Panamax. I have my entire home theater hooked up to a panamax conditioner and it does make a huge difference in the performance of my home theater.( It protects your equipment from power surge also) Get one!

But here are a few sources:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8504686_rid-buzzing-tv.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7610378_stop-hdtv-buzzing.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6233313AAiTwd3

By searching, another solution via turning off the set's audio:

Also of note, I keep the volume at 0 on mine since my Onkyo TX-705 runs audio for everything through my 7.1 system. In my experience most TVs are smart enough to turn off their audio amplification circuit when set to 0, which eliminates two more possible sources of buzzing (both the amplification circuit itself, and buzzing sounds that could be playing through the speakers). It is trivial to test this in a quiet room by switching between volume levels 0 and 1 to see if that changes things and switching between MUTE and 0, and MUTE and 1. I'll run this on my Samsung at some point and post back if I find anything interesting

This post by Randy Walters of AVSFORUM: Humming buzzing noise from your plasma tv?? How loud?

If you can hear any buzzing from more than a few feet then the TV is defective and needs to be replaced. Buzzing is a common defect among plasma TVs regardless of brand. It has nothing to do with the plasma cells working; usually it's a defective board or a power supply problem or something like that.

My new Panny PZ700U is virtually silent at 2 feet away, even at 4 in the morning in a completely silent room. My older PX50U is silent at 3 feet away, and that's after it's gotten louder over the past two years. I consider anything worse than my experience to be abnormal and unacceptable.

Have it exchanged for a good one

Makes sense to me because most plasma due not buzz; my Panasonic Plasma has ZERO buzz.
So that means you won't try to plug it directly into an outlet to see if that has anything to do with whether your set will buzz or not? Personally I think power conditioners are a waste of money as generally they're unnecessary. YMMV.
ChashAV likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChashAV View Post
When you say the "new set", is it the replacement tv that's 99% quieter than the 1st? If so, that is great news and gives me hope!

I went by BB at lunch time and arranged to have a new set delivered, but it won't happen until the next Saturday. The sales guy in the Magnolia center said he has never heard of this issue before. Their display tv didn't have a loud buzzing when I put my ear to the side of the tv where it should be the loudest. (turning off volume on tv's in the vicinity.

Edit: My tv is on the stand and a little over 1ft from the wall.
Yes the new set (a new 60 inch i returned my other for) still buzzes annoyingly at some points. I thought it was much better but as my follow up post says it depends on channel/etc. I would gladly buy a line conditioner if there were any truth to it fixing the issue as the picture is stunning. I can hear it clearly by putting my head to the back of my TV. It amplifies directly out the front. If I'm sitting to the sides I cannot hear it at all. Does not matter on a stand or wall mount. I dont think anything compares picture wise in my price range so rock and a hard place here. I don't think Frys will let me 'exchange' it again. Probably just return.
post #363 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone actually tracked down what component is producing the buzz? Just curious. I'm looking at picking up one of these sets before they run out, and I am not one to exchange stuff. I'm quite comfortable doing electronics repairs (I restore 80's arcade machines as a hobby) and it strikes me as odd that I haven't found a reference to a capacitor, op-amp, transformer or something that's making the noise. My first inclination would be to locate the offending component & order a replacement from mouser.
post #364 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamath View Post
Has anyone actually tracked down what component is producing the buzz? Just curious. I'm looking at picking up one of these sets before they run out, and I am not one to exchange stuff. I'm quite comfortable doing electronics repairs (I restore 80's arcade machines as a hobby) and it strikes me as odd that I haven't found a reference to a capacitor, op-amp, transformer or something that's making the noise. My first inclination would be to locate the offending component & order a replacement from mouser.
I can't answer your question but this video of an older Samsung plasma may help you. Let us know if it does. That sound drives me crazy for some reason.

post #365 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 12:10 PM

igreg, thanks for the feedback and ideas. I read most of the links you provided already and most, unfortunately, aren't much help.

I also don't have a lot of faith in power conditioners and think they are a waste of money. But I do have one though, but only because it is one of the features of the product I liked. I have also installed the recommended ferrites, which should eliminate most EMI that could cause any issues. You would think that Samsung's flagship plasma would have the appropriate filters in the design to deal with dirty power.

The buzz is not coming from the speakers, as they are not on. And the loud buzz is present with only the power cable plugged in (with ferrite & power conditioner). A lot of this has already been discussed previously in this thread.

Let us know if your Panny starts making a noise when you plug it into a wall outlet.
post #366 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I think I just read every post here and there is still not a direct answer to what is causing the Back Panel buzzing. I've had my 51" set hooked up since Tuesday and about 40-50 hrs on it. I have the horrible rear panel buzzing that goes away if I push on the upper left vent. It's tolerable with dark scenes, really bad during bright scene. See my non-scientific cell phone dB app capture. The spike is a single bright scene mixed with a normal dark scene from The Master

What I noticed is that the area I push on to stop the buzzing appears to be over cooling panels like you see on the CPU. I don't know what the component is but it's easy to identify where the buzz is coming from. As others have mentioned they were able to fix the buzz by tightening or loosening screws. I'm not sure if that will completely solve the issue I'm having because pressing down the case is actually just putting pressure on the buzzing component, which leads me to believe I need to alter the component (which might also be loose) that is buzzing vs just the back case. I also tested pulling on the mesh screen vs. pushing and that didn't fix the problem. I've got tech coming out to look at the set soon and I will follow up if we can solve the problem. This is my first plasma so I am learning as I go what all this buzz is about.
post #367 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean33 View Post
I think I just read every post here and there is still not a direct answer to what is causing the Back Panel buzzing. I've had my 51" set hooked up since Tuesday and about 40-50 hrs on it. I have the horrible rear panel buzzing that goes away if I push on the upper left vent. It's tolerable with dark scenes, really bad during bright scene. See my non-scientific cell phone dB app capture. The spike is a single bright scene mixed with a normal dark scene from The Master

What I noticed is that the area I push on to stop the buzzing appears to be over cooling panels like you see on the CPU. I don't know what the component is but it's easy to identify where the buzz is coming from. As others have mentioned they were able to fix the buzz by tightening or loosening screws. I'm not sure if that will completely solve the issue I'm having because pressing down the case is actually just putting pressure on the buzzing component, which leads me to believe I need to alter the component (which might also be loose) that is buzzing vs just the back case. I also tested pulling on the mesh screen vs. pushing and that didn't fix the problem. I've got tech coming out to look at the set soon and I will follow up if we can solve the problem. This is my first plasma so I am learning as I go what all this buzz is about.
**UPDATE** I tried unscrewing the three corner screws by the buzz and miraculously the buzzing went away. Success. So for those with the rear panel buzz adjusting the screws really does the trick.
post #368 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 69
How hard is to remove the back panel of the f8500? Are there any warranty tapes?
post #369 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 PM

For all who are wondering I just adjusted these 4 screws. I tightened them all then started unscrewing them one by one. Some are significantly loose.

post #370 of 463 Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all-

I just received my PN60F8500 from Amazon today. Sure enough, I have the front directional laser beam buzz (Google led me here). I have the TV on the stand, and I'm sitting about 9' from it. It's really quite loud; I can clearly hear it above movies at a significant volume. I can hear it while I chew tortilla chips. I can still hear it 45 deg off-center from about 15' away in a quiet-ish room. My hearing is definitely _not_ particularly sensitive, I think I have a small bit of hearing loss from too-loud headphones as a kid

I've pushed all over the back panel to no avail. I tried a (Rotel) power line conditioner, no help.

I used my trusty Radio Shack sound level meter to get a reading, for whatever it's worth. One foot directly in front of center of screen, it reads about 55db. The meter only goes down to 50db so I can't get a measurement from viewing position.

I'm going to let it wear in continuously for a while, we'll see how it goes. But doesn't look promising so far.
post #371 of 463 Old 10-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I wonder if these f8500 have torodial transformers? I had a 1000w sub amp that hummed pretty bad in which a "Hum X" cleared up the hmm, but the amp blew some months later on. Also once my cable feed coax feed into a pc tv tuner card then outputted to my recv'r caused a hum too.

Have you all tried disconnecting all inputs/outsputs and having only the ac cord to power up the plasma? I'd also think with a brighter screen you'd hear more fan noise because of the heat the set needs to disperse. Just some things off my mind.

I have a 60"'er coming in next week and if there's a hum I'll try my HumX to see if that helps some but really I hope I don't have the dreaded SamSung Plasma hmm.
post #372 of 463 Old 10-25-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
For all who are wondering I just adjusted these 4 screws. I tightened them all then started unscrewing them one by one. Some are significantly loose.

Ill try this. Tho mine sounds like the buzzing is on the other side.

So all the way tight didnt work? You had to go all the way tight then loosen some? How odd.

Also the bottom left screw in your pic is covered by the wall mount on my TV. I would suspect it causing issues after this but i had buzzing on the stand too.

Last edited by dmk08; 10-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.
post #373 of 463 Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
**UPDATE** I tried unscrewing the three corner screws by the buzz and miraculously the buzzing went away. Success. So for those with the rear panel buzz adjusting the screws really does the trick.
That is fascinating this worked for you, and others (I missed those posts). The buzzing is coming from both sides of my tv with the right side being the loudest.

So I just tried this method on both sides and it didn't do anything for me. Once again abandoned by hope...
post #374 of 463 Old 10-25-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't a buzzing issue, but the D series had some issues with peeling anti-glare coatings; some turned out to be exacerbated by the tensioning of the screws. Mine has one screw where you can see its effect on the coating, visible to the eye close up but isn't visible in the operating screen area....I remember multiple threads on the subject (of peeling).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #375 of 463 Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
That is fascinating this worked for you, and others (I missed those posts). The buzzing is coming from both sides of my tv with the right side being the loudest.

So I just tried this method on both sides and it didn't do anything for me. Once again abandoned by hope...
I had the rear panel buzz that I could eliminate via pressing on the mesh rear section. If you can't get the buzz to stop by warping the rear panel then adjusting the screws might not work. My TV still has the normal buzz but I can only hear it when I put my head behind the TV. I do not hear the front directional buzz. I own a 51"
post #376 of 463 Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My 64 has the kind of buzzing that makes sitting in front of the tv the worst seat in the house... even at 15 feet. It is a replacement for one with minimal buzzing that had a horizontal band in the middle of the screen (also a common problem with these). This set has no banding, no horizontal or other banding of any kind. I'd hate to play the lottery again and end up with a tv that has picture problems AND buzzing.

I read some posts that said it went away with use. I ran slides all night last night to try to put some hours on it and speed up the process. My clarifying question: is there a chance this kind of buzzing will be reduced with use, or is this as loud as it's gonna be? It will certainly help me decide if I should pull the trigger on another swap.
post #377 of 463 Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I played the lottery and got my replacement 64 Friday. The replacement's box was in much better shape and the box with the remote controls and other accessories wasn't torn this time. I am now suspecting my first one had been dropped, or taken a few too many trips on a truck at least. The replacement still makes noise, but is much quieter. I think I'm going to keep this one. It's unfortunate that these aren't as quiet as the old Panasonics, but the picture is just too good to pass on.
post #378 of 463 Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Yeah I need to play with my back screws I guess. Sometimes if I re position mine it starts to get worse again but right now it's doing pretty well. I may have a tech come out just for good measure but I think I'm going to keep it. The picture is just too good to go back to a basic LCD.
post #379 of 463 Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzfan84 View Post
My clarifying question: is there a chance this kind of buzzing will be reduced with use, or is this as loud as it's gonna be? It will certainly help me decide if I should pull the trigger on another swap.
No, whatever the level you hear now that is what it will be. Unless you have a faulty board component that is vibrating (not likely) the typical plasma noise you hear (the directional one) is due to the vibration of the glass/plasma cell interface and will not change over time. Your sensitivity to it could change or your room acoustics could change and alter it's effect, but the source level will not change.

Here is a quote from a Samsung patent on the source of plasma "buzz".

Quote:
The PDP adopts a discharge mechanism which emits the light by applying high voltage in the discharge cell to cause the discharge as a light emission unit, and thus, shockwaves caused by the discharge are generated in the discharge cell. The shockwaves collide with inner surfaces of the discharge cell to generate vibration, and the vibration causes noise. If the noise is not reduced, product quality and competitive power of the PDP that is mainly used as a home display apparatus may be degraded.
ChashAV likes this.

Last edited by zoyd; 10-28-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added patent quote
post #380 of 463 Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Here is a quote from a Samsung patent on the source of plasma "buzz".
It mentions the need for the reduction of that noise, what does it say about how it does that? What is it in their manufacturing/assembly process where it is audibly present in some of their sets?
ChashAV likes this.

post #381 of 463 Old 10-28-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

This particular patent concentrates on improving the manufacturing process of the barrier ribs (stuff that keeps the various structures separated) such that gaps for movement are minimized. So I suspect that some variations in these gaps create different levels of noise and that this can vary from batch to batch. Of course this patent is now 7 years old but similar if not identical concerns would be present in recent models.

Quote:
Therefore, it is very important to minimize the contraction of barrier ribs 130 during the baking process in order to reduce the noise generated by the PDP 100
lovinthehd likes this.
post #382 of 463 Old 10-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
This particular patent concentrates on improving the manufacturing process of the barrier ribs (stuff that keeps the various structures separated) such that gaps for movement are minimized. So I suspect that some variations in these gaps create different levels of noise and that this can vary from batch to batch. Of course this patent is now 7 years old but similar if not identical concerns would be present in recent models.
This is interesting, thanks for sharing. But could this actually be the cause of the buzzing noise or just perhaps one of several culprits? I ask because the noise and location from the video I included in post# 364 is very similar to what I am experiencing and that noise does't inherently seem to be the result of what you presented.
I realize that the tv in the video is a different model, but I doubt the design is that much different from the F8500 series.
post #383 of 463 Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is interesting, thanks for sharing. But could this actually be the cause of the buzzing noise or just perhaps one of several culprits? I ask because the noise and location from the video I included in post# 364 is very similar to what I am experiencing and that noise does't inherently seem to be the result of what you presented.
I realize that the tv in the video is a different model, but I doubt the design is that much different from the F8500 series.
You're right, that doesn't sound like typical glass panel vibration, that sounds like a funky dc/dc converter.
post #384 of 463 Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Where is the buzzing coming from, for most of the sensitive ear type of people/crowd? My family can't barely tell unless you tell them. I see we got dB reader, quite fancy, my friend has that, measures out his Export Exhaust at Full open throttle jajaja whole new topic and forum. I guess I'm picky, I hear the buzz the loudest from factory opening to now about 4 hours of watching movies. The loudest is at the upper right housing with the vent holes, which like stated has the 3 screws. The upper left housing with 4 screws is half as less with the buzzing. The bottom left and right have about 1/4 the buzz compared to the upper right side. Is that the location of the board with the main capacitors? Anyhow, I see lot's of people returning and something new shows up. The box is perfect, not crushed, I saw the people where actually very delicate bringing that up to my place, no scratches, no glitching, pauses, freezes etc, broken panels. Has anybody actually returned it for the minimum buzz expecting to get one with less buzz and ending getting the same or worse buzz? My plasma samsung 5054 has no buzz, than again it's like 4 inches thick jajaja. The smart features are quite nice. Evo SK2000 only updates software, so maybe I might sell it?
post #385 of 463 Old 11-02-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

What the heck is jajaja?

post #386 of 463 Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
^ ^ Laughing out loud LOL.... The old Samsung 5054 plasma I have is about 4 inches thicker in depth. Some Rep from Samsung advise me the story since plasmas are now just as thin as LED they are more prone to the Buzz? I don't know if I buy that story?
post #387 of 463 Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I looked it up...it sounds funny in English, though. I have seen that proposition before, that the number of complaints rose along with the ever thinner cases....probably that much harder from a construction viewpoint. Too bad a process of QC would likely not be cost effective.....although I wonder if some retailers might have tried such to avoid the issue?

post #388 of 463 Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Who has had samsung service their set? What have they changed out or have they just replaced the tv?
post #389 of 463 Old 11-04-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 0
Hey guys. I got the 60" 8500 yesterday from Amazon. Seems that I have a bit of a buzz as well. Honestly though as I live in a pretty narrow house (9 ft across in the living room) my viewing distance is pretty short. Even then i can only hear the buzz when everything else is completely silent or I walk directly in front of the TV to grab another cold one from the kitchen. I may take the approach of keeping quiet about it when other people see it and seeing if they comment for the time being. As I got it through amazon I'd rather not play the swap out three times game and hope I get a quieter set. Also, I'll give it a bit more time to break in before I make any final conclusions. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
post #390 of 463 Old 11-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 64" F8500. No buzz coming from my set. I stuck my head behind the set to check and heard absolutely nothing.

My TV's built date is September 2013. I guess I have to count myself as a lucky one.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page