Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 756 Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo19lp View Post
Very good to know, this amazing tv is so good! I watched ALIENS, was so shocked how I saw the movies at my brothers with his 4K TV. Pop in the BLU RAY and those aliens are pitch BLACK on the F8500! My tv stand is 22 inches in height. Crouched down on my couch there is no 0 buzz, sitting normal, no buzz to people who don't look for it, however like us, if you read the forums, the buzz is maybe a 10% there, and you really have to listen to it, standing no buzz. And yes when you turn your head the other way, you can hear the electric and energy that is going to the pixels, its like a 90 degrees tilt all the way to the other side. My eyes are not centered to the middle of the, do the height of the tv stand. I have to angle my eyes a little down do to the height of the TV. Just looking at your lowest point 42 inches, I assume you have to angle your eyes up? ENJOY THE TV!!!!
Yes- I do need to level my eyes up slightly. I have at times sat for six straight hours and never been bothered by it, and frankly, because I have a high ceiling, it actually looks better- more movie screen like- a little higher up.

The other thing I did was put an L/C/R speaker just below the television (had a custom one made to match the width) at ear level. Not necessary for buzz killing but just an idea for those who think their TV might look/sound weird being so high. The speaker extends the bottom of the television.

If you're wondering, I got the Edge media frame made by Leon Speakers. Definitely not cheap, but this is the only luxury setup I've bought for myself in 32 years.

Thanks- enjoy your tv as well! It is an awesome picture.
marcelo19lp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 756 Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice speakrs!

Nice picture speaker frame setup, looks $$$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl1982 View Post
Yes- I do need to level my eyes up slightly. I have at times sat for six straight hours and never been bothered by it, and frankly, because I have a high ceiling, it actually looks better- more movie screen like- a little higher up.

The other thing I did was put an L/C/R speaker just below the television (had a custom one made to match the width) at ear level. Not necessary for buzz killing but just an idea for those who think their TV might look/sound weird being so high. The speaker extends the bottom of the television.

If you're wondering, I got the Edge media frame made by Leon Speakers. Definitely not cheap, but this is the only luxury setup I've bought for myself in 32 years.

Thanks- enjoy your tv as well! It is an awesome picture.
post #453 of 756 Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Engineering is a compromise...it was probably done for some performance reason...maybe brightness. Have you ever driven a high performance vehicle? It aslo comes with compromises...comfort, noise, etc....yet it costs more than the standard vehicle.
I agree that engineering is a compromise, but don't agree that this problem should exist on this level at this point in time for this technology. The "high performance vehicle" reference is not a good example as the physics and technology development is totally different, not apples to apples. My statement was in the frame of mind for electronics.
Like another poster stated, it could simply be a quality control issue. BUT, it's been stated on several sites state that the 60" size has been plagued the most. The engineers I know would cringe to see a their design finalized with an issue such as this.

I'm not jaded as much as I was since the buzzing from the right corner has not returned for 4 days, just the directional now. I was battling the feeling of "are you nuts" for keeping the tv since I didn't want to switch to LCD or go back to my 50".
Nevertheless I have to come to terms with it as BB currently has a return policy of 15 days instead of 30, and I have past that time frame. It's been a while time since I have needed to buy any electronics. I was on day 16 and they would not even price match to the latest price reduction, which is a nice $400. Hard to accept that one.
post #454 of 756 Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
[QUOTE=zoyd;28596746]No, whatever the level you hear now that is what it will be. Unless you have a faulty board component that is vibrating (not likely) the typical plasma noise you hear (the directional one) is due to the vibration of the glass/plasma cell interface and will not change over time. Your sensitivity to it could change or your room acoustics could change and alter it's effect, but the source level will not change. http://www.google.com/patents/EP1686606A2?cl=en

Here is a quote from a Samsung patent on the source of plasma "buzz".
The PDP adopts a discharge mechanism which emits the light by applying high voltage in the discharge cell to cause the discharge as a light emission unit, and thus, shockwaves caused by the discharge are generated in the discharge cell. The shockwaves collide with inner surfaces of the discharge cell to generate vibration, and the vibration causes noise. If the noise is not reduced, product quality and competitive power of the PDP that is mainly used as a home display apparatus may be degraded.

[QUOTE/]

Back in post 379 zoyd posted above, which I think has been some of the best technical information offered to explain the buzz some experience, particularly the one that is reported as coming from the center of the panel, at least my take on it (and it seems there are other sources as well in the construction and/or components used to drive the set from some descriptions).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #455 of 756 Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChashAV View Post
I agree that engineering is a compromise, but don't agree that this problem should exist on this level at this point in time for this technology. The "high performance vehicle" reference is not a good example as the physics and technology development is totally different, not apples to apples. My statement was in the frame of mind for electronics.
Like another poster stated, it could simply be a quality control issue. BUT, it's been stated on several sites state that the 60" size has been plagued the most. The engineers I know would cringe to see a their design finalized with an issue such as this.

I'm not jaded as much as I was since the buzzing from the right corner has not returned for 4 days, just the directional now. I was battling the feeling of "are you nuts" for keeping the tv since I didn't want to switch to LCD or go back to my 50".
Nevertheless I have to come to terms with it as BB currently has a return policy of 15 days instead of 30, and I have past that time frame. It's been a while time since I have needed to buy any electronics. I was on day 16 and they would not even price match to the latest price reduction, which is a nice $400. Hard to accept that one.
sigh...

post #456 of 756 Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I just set up my new 64F8500. Purchased from BB, with an October 2014 build date.
No buzzing at all, not even faintly. Hopefully, it will stay that way.
post #457 of 756 Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, quick update. The local Samsung service rep came out and worked on my 60F8500 a couple days ago. He tried replacing two boards on either side of the power supply. The buzzing persisted and he said it was definitely the panel itself. They are ordering another panel and I should have an update on if that fixes the issue sometime next week.
post #458 of 756 Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
60" Minimal Buzz...

Hey guys, just to contribute after reading a ton of these boards for a while. I received my 60" (April 2014 build) from Amazon on Wednesday (order placed on 11/8 right before the last $200 reduction which they then refunded me!) and just unboxed and set it up (Friday) in a temp space in my office while I await the completion of a home renovation. All the talk on these boards had me totally freaked out about buzz potential (center cannon style) and I had prepared myself to return the sucker if it was as bad as reported.

I'm relieved to report that the slight buzz that is there is minimal and I don't think I'd notice it if I hadn't read up on it. Sure, there's an very audible buzz if I put my ear right up against the front panel or along the top back, but as it is I couldn't be happier about this purchase.

Granted, I've only put about an hour in watching this thing, but I had cell light turned way up (lots of windows in my office anyway) and made sure I played plenty of bright images (Cosmos on Netflix). Last TV I bought was a 1080i Sony Rear Projection LCD in 2006, so I'm FIRED UP!

Good luck to everyone else looking for one.

David
post #459 of 756 Old 11-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dreaded buzz...

So, I just got my 64F8500 set up today and got the directional buzz. If I sit directly in front of the screen, it is VERY LOUD. Loud enough to be heard over MOST content, unless the content is itself very loud.

If I stand up or move just to the left or right of the screen, there is 0 buzz. I can't be in front of any part of the screen, I have to be completely to the left or right of it, so that if I look straight ahead, I'm looking at the wall.

I had to change where I sit so that my seat is off to the side and I watch the TV at an angle. I just moved, so it isn't a dramatic event to change where I sit, but it is annoying.

Also, it's annoying that if I move to the side to do anything, I'm back to being blasted with the buzz.

It is really loud. Someone suggested mounting the TV on the wall so that I can tilt it downward slightly, which would redirect the buzz at the floor, rather than my couch. That would probably work, but I'm in an apartment and I'm not sure I'm allowed to mount a TV on the wall.

I've only been watching TV for about 2 hours and the PQ is amazing, but all I can think about is this damn buzz. I don't know if this is the kind of thing one gets used to, as opposed to being something that only gets more and more annoying. Since they're all sold out, I don't see an exchange being an option. Also, I'm not sure the place I bought it from has the best customer service. I could probably return it, but then do what, get an LCD? Yuck.
post #460 of 756 Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The dreaded buzz

I think I might just sit in front of the TV and try to ignore the buzz. I think it's more annoying to sit off at an angle and then any time I come back in front of the TV the buzz hits me....
post #461 of 756 Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The amount of aural abuse some of you are prepared to take amazes me....
ChashAV likes this.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #462 of 756 Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Got my 60" from BB with an Nov. 2014 build date and made in Mexico. Buzzing is there and we can hear it from about 8 ft. away from the center position. I guess newer isn't better. I have a 51" Samsung 4500 that i bought not too long ago for $400 and a Panny G10 that's about 5yrs old and both of them are dead quiet. It's hard to imagine this premium of a set suffers from this loud buzzing issue and i'm almost sure Samsung has had their share of complaints since early production but didn't seem to do anything to prevent it, or minimize the noise to certain extent. Its frustrating to say at least although the picture is indeed impeccable. Anyway, called best buy to get a replacement but they are all sold out and instead will send out a 'geek squad' tech to check. I don't know what to expect with those guys. Also called Samsung for an opinion and they recommended their local tech to check it out first and if its unrepairable, they can replace it. I doubt they have replacement stock on these.. Either way, this is becoming a hassle.
post #463 of 756 Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM

You will most likely receive another 60" that buzzes. That's how they are engineered to work.

Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all?
post #464 of 756 Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my 64" from Amazon yesterday. I can hear the buzz from my seating distance of 13'. Same as most others, it is directional. I can't live with that. I have one on order from somewhere else, hopefully that one comes through. I'm constantly checking Amazon for a replacement.
post #465 of 756 Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 53
[QUOTE=hpp8140;29298753]You will most likely receive another 60" that buzzes. That's how they are engineered to work.

NONSENSE!

There can be a slight buzz, heard only when standing by the unit and having ear right above back panel. (I have 2 plasma sets).

ANY NOISE ABOVE THAT (STRONGER) IS ABNORMAL!

Return/exchange/repair your unit if it is the case.

Samsung PN64F8500 & Pioneer PDP-5080 (KURO 8G) Plasma TVs
Sony AV Receiver STR-DN1050 & Pioneer Receiver VSX-1122-K
Sources: HTPC Dell XPS 8700 (Modified), Blu-ray
Energy RC & Veritas Speakers
Proud AVS Forum's Reader since 2006
post #466 of 756 Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You will most likely receive another 60" that buzzes. That's how they are engineered to work.

Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all?
Linking the thread you're posting in....sort of an infinity thing? Just keep circling?

They are not any such thing, though. If you kept a loud buzzer and it has driven you bonkers, my sympathies.

post #467 of 756 Old 11-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, the replacement 64" buzzes just as much as the 60". This is ridiculous, I'm shocked that there are so many units that are just crap. For this amount of money, there is no excuse for such a bad product. I've ordered a un60hu8550 to do a direct comparison with. I might get a tech out to see what they say, but quite frankly, I'm frustrated with the whole thing. I wasn't planning on buying a new TV, but I swore I would get a new plasma before they were gone for good. Now I wish I never got involved!
post #468 of 756 Old 11-28-2014, 04:13 PM

[quote=XPSTester;29404449]
Quote:

NONSENSE!

There can be a slight buzz, heard only when standing by the unit and having ear right above back panel. (I have 2 plasma sets).

ANY NOISE ABOVE THAT (STRONGER) IS ABNORMAL!

Return/exchange/repair your unit if it is the case.
We are talking about the directional buzz coming from near the screen center.
post #469 of 756 Old 11-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaWS6 View Post
Well, the replacement 64" buzzes just as much as the 60". This is ridiculous, I'm shocked that there are so many units that are just crap. For this amount of money, there is no excuse for such a bad product. I've ordered a un60hu8550 to do a direct comparison with. I might get a tech out to see what they say, but quite frankly, I'm frustrated with the whole thing. I wasn't planning on buying a new TV, but I swore I would get a new plasma before they were gone for good. Now I wish I never got involved!
Sorry that's how they are engineered.

-Samsung

LOL
post #470 of 756 Old 11-28-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=hpp8140;29423297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPSTester View Post

Yes, for those who have that defect....not everyone does.

post #471 of 756 Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 53
[quote=hpp8140;29423297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPSTester View Post

Therefore = DEFINITIVE DEFECT and not part of "plasma technology"!

Samsung PN64F8500 & Pioneer PDP-5080 (KURO 8G) Plasma TVs
Sony AV Receiver STR-DN1050 & Pioneer Receiver VSX-1122-K
Sources: HTPC Dell XPS 8700 (Modified), Blu-ray
Energy RC & Veritas Speakers
Proud AVS Forum's Reader since 2006
post #472 of 756 Old 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say it's high pitched if you angle your head right. Not always though. My buzz has diminished a bit and I'm close to 300 hours. I rarely notice it now that I'm not as concerned with it.
post #473 of 756 Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just purchased the PN64F8500 and am in the process of breaking it in. When I first unboxed it, I cranked the contrast and brightness controls to max, and loaded the pure white slide from the break-in DVD. Absolutely quite, no buzz from any angle, distance or location in front of the screen. If I put my ear to the vent holes on the back, I hear a low, electronic hum but it is inaudible from a few inches away. Also, the rear of the unit is warm to the touch only, after about a week of continuous running of the break-in DVD. Nor do I have the banding or DSE issue that I've read about.

I don't believe that I am one of the "lucky" ones, I believe that I am among the majority of purchasers and that the people that have these issues are among the minority of "unfortunate" purchasers. That being said, I was dismayed to see on the sticker on the rear of the set that it was made (assembled I assume) in Tijuana. Another reason to regret not getting in on the Panasonic V60 and Z60 when they were discontinued.

Unit has an October 2014 build date, firmware v. 1204.
Blue Rain likes this.
post #474 of 756 Old 12-02-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagendos View Post
That being said, I was dismayed to see on the sticker on the rear of the set that it was made (assembled I assume) in Tijuana. Another reason to regret not getting in on the Panasonic V60 and Z60 when they were discontinued.

You may as well give up your consumer card if you are picky about where the manufacturer found lowest costs.....especially shoes, clothing and electronics.
StinDaWg likes this.

post #475 of 756 Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The thing you guys are failing to compare is altitude. That can make a difference in how a plasma operates and how much of a buzz it produces. I'd be interested to know if the people who hear it tend to be at higher altitudes (obviously there may be variations between units too).
post #476 of 756 Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have had 2 different 60F8500 sets in my house and both of them had and have the buzz that is directional from the center of the screen. It can be heard from my seat 13 feet away with the tv at a low volume.The buzz from each set was similar if not identical. I can't say that they all buzz but from my experience with the 2 sets and reading posts from other owners I believe most if not all have some degree of buzzing. Where I live is very close to sea level.
post #477 of 756 Old 12-04-2014, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I received my 60F8500 a few weeks ago. October 2014 build date. I didn't know about the buzzing issue beforehand and noticed it when I first started using the set.

I despaired at my options (seeing as how it's now sold out everywhere) but the cell light workaround mentioned earlier in this thread worked for me. I turned the cell light down from 20 (!) to 14/15 and it's now what I would consider normal for a piece of electronics.
post #478 of 756 Old 12-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I purchased a 64" F8500 over a week ago. The panel looks great and there is no buzzing from any angle or distance. I didn't even know buzzing was an issue before stumbling across this thread.
post #479 of 756 Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demati View Post
I purchased a 64" F8500 over a week ago. The panel looks great and there is no buzzing from any angle or distance. I didn't even know buzzing was an issue before stumbling across this thread.
Put it on a full white screen and tell me it doesn't buzz?
post #480 of 756 Old 12-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
This reminds me of that scene in Boardwalk Empire, Gyp Rosetti, says something like "I got a gun, he got a gun, we all got guns", except this is "I got a buzz, he got a buzz, we all got buzzes". My Kuro 6010 buzzed. My Kuro 4280 buzzes. My 64F8500 buzzes. It's never bothered me enough to be a big issue, and I am sure no-one else in my household notices it. If one is sensitive to it though and would really let it bother them, then it could easily be a problem. But I simply love the pictures these plasmas put out too much to let this ruin it for me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page