Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all? - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
Is the buzz like the noise in the movie Poltergeist
when the kid was looking at the TV ,which had that white screen fuzzy noise?

Or is it more like a hum or buzz or a bunch off bees ?
Think: the buzz associated with high tension wires... It's definitely an electric buzzing.

Hmmm... that type of buzzing can be very annoying...kind of hums in your brain in addition to hearing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
I wonder how many of these returns are being sent back out as new by Samsung.
Perhaps they're resold, but that bit of info unless someone from Samsung speaks up (risking their job no doubt) we'll never know....but then I don't think I've seen much in the way of refurbished tv sales but I've never really looked like I would for some other gear....
post #543 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Think: the buzz associated with high tension wires... It's definitely an electric buzzing.
you tube has a video of it i think it samsung plasma buzz and u will see a tv with the back off ,, thats the same noise but it comes out the front of the screen also
post #544 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
you know im thinking the same thing , i looked for a week no one not even samsung had them in stock it was no longer being made i was told .. all of a sudden last week amazon has them ,cleveland plasma has them , i heard even best buy has a few . and i seached alot of reviews on amazon . the last month is where alot of people are complaining about buzzing . i wonder if this last batch of tvs is returns being repacked and sold as new . i made sure my tv said new but come on why are there so many that have this issue now mines october 2014 date usa 01 tv ..
post #545 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
SO what do you you all think? Get the hu8550 or stay with the amazing PQ of the F8500 and live witht he buzz or maybe even get a sound bar to drown out the buzzing? WHo even knows though if that will work.
post #546 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimerman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
you know im thinking the same thing , i looked for a week no one not even samsung had them in stock it was no longer being made i was told .. all of a sudden last week amazon has them ,cleveland plasma has them , i heard even best buy has a few . and i seached alot of reviews on amazon . the last month is where alot of people are complaining about buzzing . i wonder if this last batch of tvs is returns being repacked and sold as new . i made sure my tv said new but come on why are there so many that have this issue now mines october 2014 date usa 01 tv ..
I noticed people here reporting their TV is being shipped from Phoenix Arizona. So is mine.

What warehouse is in Phoenix?

Does Samsung have a manufacturing plant or return center there or does Amazon and BB have a distribution center there ?
post #547 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2189 View Post
SO what do you you all think? Get the hu8550 or stay with the amazing PQ of the F8500 and live witht he buzz or maybe even get a sound bar to drown out the buzzing? WHo even knows though if that will work.
my self i didnt like that hu8500 i think a sound bar would help anything to give some bass to the voulme seems to help mine i run a denon with svs subs and some souround speakers and that will cover it up but i like low volume on my tv some times thats when the buzz gets me .. a movie at full volume on the denon i dont hear it at all ,
post #548 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have buzzing on two sets I have received from Amazon and the manufacture date is November 2014, so I doubt they are returned TVs. Unless, of course, Samsung is putting new manufacture dates on them which I highly doubt.
post #549 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
I have buzzing on two sets I have received from Amazon and the manufacture date is November 2014, so I doubt they are returned TVs. Unless, of course, Samsung is putting new manufacture dates on them which I highly doubt.
Honestly i think the newer sets are worse. Mine is a nov 2014 as is my bros (60 and 51") both from amazon. I listened to a display at best buy, a 64" and it was completely different. Silent until you put your ear to it.
post #550 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Perhaps they're resold, but that bit of info unless someone from Samsung speaks up (risking their job no doubt) we'll never know....but then I don't think I've seen much in the way of refurbished tv sales but I've never really looked like I would for some other gear....
http://www.shopjimmy.com/faq
post #551 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2189 View Post
Why would a sound bar drown it out? Do you use the speakers in the tv??

Makes me wonder, since I assume most here would be like myself and use an avr.....
post #552 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Why would a sound bar drown it out? Do you use the speakers in the tv??

Makes me wonder, since I assume most here would be like myself and use an avr.....
the speakers in the tv are weak , so if a sound bar had some bass it should take away the high pitch buzz, i use my avr also and with the loud you dont notice the buzz , but i dont always like to use my avr at night . thats when you really hear it at low volume with the built in tv speakers
post #553 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I asked that possibility in another forum because mine and another party's new F8500s had 3 and 4 hours on them (MRT) when delivered. Mine had a November build date sticker and the other person's was October.
post #554 of 1117 Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post
Quote:
I asked that possibility in another forum because mine and another party's new F8500s had 3 and 4 hours on them (MRT) when delivered. Mine had a November build date sticker and the other person's was October.

I read here on the forum that the hours can be reset...not saying this is the case with your tv or anyone else who bought a new tv.

Last edited by Blue Rain; 12-10-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #555 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
51" Buzzer

I purchased my new 51" F8500 a few weeks ago off craigslist for $850! The women who originally purchased it accidentally got the wrong size and the retailer (B&H Photo) does not take returns on TV's bigger than 30". Unfortunately it buzzes like everyone else here. Had a Samsung service man come out yesterday and replace the board. Same buzz so I had him put my original board back in. Service guy said that they all buzz and that mine was not that bad and that Samsung would never agree to replacing it. The buzz is louder during brighter scenes but is easily drowned out with a volume level of 10. My couch is about 8 feet from the TV and the buzz is audible from any direction whether it be me sitting in front of the TV or on the sides or even angling it to one side. I got a great deal on the TV and its my first plasma and am amazed by the PQ so I cant complain too much. I think I am still going to annoy Samsung to see if they will send me a replacement just to see what happens. Outside of that I think I can live with the buzz if I had to but still wish it was quiet.
post #556 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFresh View Post
I purchased my new 51" F8500 a few weeks ago off craigslist for $850! The women who originally purchased it accidentally got the wrong size and the retailer (B&H Photo) does not take returns on TV's bigger than 30". Unfortunately it buzzes like everyone else here. Had a Samsung service man come out yesterday and replace the board. Same buzz so I had him put my original board back in. Service guy said that they all buzz and that mine was not that bad and that Samsung would never agree to replacing it. The buzz is louder during brighter scenes but is easily drowned out with a volume level of 10. My couch is about 8 feet from the TV and the buzz is audible from any direction whether it be me sitting in front of the TV or on the sides or even angling it to one side. I got a great deal on the TV and its my first plasma and am amazed by the PQ so I cant complain too much. I think I am still going to annoy Samsung to see if they will send me a replacement just to see what happens. Outside of that I think I can live with the buzz if I had to but still wish it was quiet.
Forgot to mention I have a June 2014 build date and Made in Tijuana for anyone interested.
post #557 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFresh View Post
Buzz that can be heard from all angles and is not heard at volume 10 or above is completely normal for this TV.

It's the buzz that cannot be heard in certain locations (only heard in center positions at any distance) and is also heard of volumes 20 and up that is the issue that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems Samsung hasn't created a fix for whatever the problem is yet. I can hear my center directional buzz at volume of 25-30.
post #558 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post
Buzz that can be heard from all angles and is not heard at volume 10 or above is completely normal for this TV.

It's the buzz that cannot be heard in certain locations (only heard in center positions at any distance) and is also heard of volumes 20 and up that is the issue that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems Samsung hasn't created a fix for whatever the problem is yet. I can hear my center directional buzz at volume of 25-30.
First let me offer my condolences for your buzz. But you sir just put me at ease. Thank you and enjoy your day.
post #559 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
I have a PN50C7000 that buzzes and I'm anxious to hear how my 60" F8500, arriving on Monday, will compare (purchased last week on Amazon). I have good hearing and am very sensitive to ambient noise, but the buzzing from my C7000 is only noticeable during bright and simultaneously quiet viewing. It's most noticeable when I first turn on the set or browse silent menus. Does it bother me? Yes, but considering how much it affects my usual viewing, it is acceptable. If the F8500 is at least no louder, then I will be happy.
post #560 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

My directional buzz is brutal. I can hear it 25 feet away in my kitchen. Luckily I cannot hear it when I am seated since I sit below the TV. The buzzing I have that comes from the top vents on back can be heard from anywhere in the room though. Pretty annoying, but it comes and goes. There doesn't seem to be a solid fix for this buzzing, but some have had luck adjusting the back screws. I have had no such luck, unfortunately.
post #561 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Liked: 10
Curious how tightening screws would help with (what seems to be) electrical noise though.
post #562 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post
Curious how tightening screws would help with (what seems to be) electrical noise though.
I think the back cover touches at certain points and it causes the noise. Not sure how, as I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff. I have 2 F8500s. One I can get the noise to come and go by manipulating the back cover. The other just comes and goes on its own, but when it is there I can change the frequency by touching the back cover in different places.
post #563 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I think the back cover touches at certain points and it causes the noise. Not sure how, as I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff. I have 2 F8500s. One I can get the noise to come and go by manipulating the back cover. The other just comes and goes on its own, but when it is there I can change the frequency by touching the back cover in different places.
in theory that only fixes the vibrations from the back or front that reverb through the frame. It does not fix the buzzing coming from the panel itself, which emanates out the front. My D6500 sammy and S64 panny both do not have panel buzzing...only the usual buzzing from the rear, both of which are 1/10 the loudness of the new F8500. People with sound treated rooms will probably notice it a lot less...but for most of us its unavoidable.
StinDaWg and glimerman like this.
post #564 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
in theory that only fixes the vibrations from the back or front that reverb through the frame. It does not fix the buzzing coming from the panel itself, which emanates out the front. My D6500 sammy and S64 panny both do not have panel buzzing...only the usual buzzing from the rear, both of which are 1/10 the loudness of the new F8500. People with sound treated rooms will probably notice it a lot less...but for most of us its unavoidable.
I don't know what it fixes, but it definitely can help with the buzzing from the back. My back buzzing is maybe "normal" 80% of the time and then goes in "loud buzz mode" about 20% of the time. The buzzing from the front apparently cannot be fixed and would drive me nuts if I sat in the line of sound.
post #565 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post
same here the back buzzing is nothing its the front panel buzzing that shoots into the wall behind you that sucks . im thinking of trying to put some acustic foam behind me . so if i turn my head i dont hear it on the wall behind me
post #566 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 PM

i just stumbled across this post on here for a few years back.. it made me wonder . i have not moved my big tv off the wall or anything yet . its seems the problem is to vast for this model but who knows ..
has anyone else tried one of these buzzers on a ups or different house and had the same buzz?
Panasonic plasma buzzing 10+ feet away
post #567 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimerman View Post
i just stumbled across this post on here for a few years back.. it made me wonder . i have not moved my big tv off the wall or anything yet . its seems the problem is to vast for this model but who knows ..
has anyone else tried one of these buzzers on a ups or different house and had the same buzz?
Panasonic plasma buzzing 10+ feet away
I just tried using a pure sine wave UPS and it made no difference whatsoever. Moving the TV is not feasible. I live in an apartment complex which has TONS of Wi-Fi networks and who knows what other kind of electromagnetic interference.

If that is the issue then this is a design flaw, plain and simple. I'm disheartened to hear that the non-buzzing TV at the store buzzed when brought to his house. Now I am hesitant to try that
post #568 of 1117 Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I just tried using a pure sine wave UPS and it made no difference whatsoever. Moving the TV is not feasible. I live in an apartment complex which has TONS of Wi-Fi networks and who knows what other kind of electromagnetic interference.

If that is the issue then this is a design flaw, plain and simple. I'm disheartened to hear that the non-buzzing TV at the store buzzed when brought to his house. Now I am hesitant to try that
same for me my tv is in the same wall mount where my last 2 plasmas were and pluged into the same plug ,, the last 2 didnt buzz at all one was a d8000 and the other the low end model on last year . so i dont think its that tommorrow im going to try a differnt out let but i dont think that will do it .. just has me wondering why some people get 4 replacement sets and they all buzz and others get no buzz at all . how can 4 be bad in a row . when this tv has such great reviews ..
lovinthehd likes this.
post #569 of 1117 Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My directional buzz is brutal. I can hear it 25 feet away in my kitchen. Luckily I cannot hear it when I am seated since I sit below the TV. The buzzing I have that comes from the top vents on back can be heard from anywhere in the room though. Pretty annoying, but it comes and goes. There doesn't seem to be a solid fix for this buzzing, but some have had luck adjusting the back screws. I have had no such luck, unfortunately.
Have you contacted Samsung? Please do if you haven't already, and while you are on the phone with them ask if they can create a ticket or group that we can all reference when calling so they can finally acknowledge all the people with this issue and work towards a common solution.

Right now all that happens is you call Samsung, they listen to your description and authorize service if you fail sound test (can hear buzz over 20 volume). Then they create a ticket (service request), which is then sent to an authorized contractor dispatch company, who then either calls you to attempt to diagnose problem, or goes directly to scheduling dispatch of a local tech (not working for Samsung or the contractor dispatch company. Depending on the sequence, the part is ordered and sent to the tech prior to visit, or the tech comes to the site and then has to order part and come back at a later date.

This whole process takes 3-5 business days before any tech is even scheduled to visit your house in most cases. It's also so convoluted that there is no real tracking of issues back to Samsung as far as I can tell. Samsung just says "there's a problem, here's the customer description" and then the repair company does all the diagnosing, ordering, and repairs. Then Samsung just calls you (Samsung Product Research department I think) and asks how the repair went. They called me after the first tech came out and I said they didn't do anything so another company will be dispatched. The Samsung rep didn't want to know anything about the issue with the TV, just wanted to know how the repair went.

So far I haven't spoken to anyone that seems to really care about getting to the bottom of this issue with the buzz. Doesn't make me want to buy a Samsung product in the future.
post #570 of 1117 Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just had 2 new 64" F8500 TVs delivered today. One was a replacement for mine that buzzes, and the other was for a family member. I rejected both orders. Both TVs buzz louder out the front than the one I was trying to replace. The delivery guys both heard it. So, back to Amazon they go. Right now I still have my original 64". How disappointing.

On a similar note, I also had my 51" F8500 delivered today at the same time. I can only hear the buzz near the back of the tv. So, it seems my 51" is a keeper in regards to buzzing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread