Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1136 Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what it's worth, I went from a 60" F8500 to a 55" VT60. I had two F8500s and both buzzed loudly. The VT60 buzzes but it is nowhere near as noticeable, to the extent it rarely bothers me. I am also fortunate enough not to have any fan noise (or at least to hear any). So, if nothing else, I'm someone who could clearly hear the buzz on the F8500 and was bothered by it enough to return it but is not bothered by buzz or any other noise on the VT60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1136 Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PS51F8500 user here. been a plasma user for the past few years, so I'm used to plasma buzz, but this sammy was just topping it. it had a really annoying, audible buzz when displaying white/bright areas. upon further inspection I noticed the buzz was located on the upper right corner behind the vent (looking from the back) and it would silence when a little pressure on the back cover was applied. so I dented the back cover pushing it with my hand, and when it popped back up, the annoying buzz was gone. so all this time it was just the back cover resonating....
post #93 of 1136 Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Are we talking about that center-focused Samsung buzz, the one that it fires straight out of the middle of the panel? Very strange issue since it's really only a concern if you sit dead center. The E7000 I briefly owned had this problem, but I wasn't aware people were seeing it on the F8500. My experience was that it was super directional, high enough frequency that some people couldn't hear it at all (you lose high frequencies first as you age), and really annoying if you actually did sit dead center and could hear it. Obviously I can't speak one way or the other about what percentage of panels have it, but I think there's also a good bit of variance who hears it when it does exist (position, angle, age and hearing level). It may also (like most plasma buzz) be more common at higher altitudes; my Pioneer was pretty quiet when I lived at sea level, but makes a lot more noise up at 4700 ft. My GT50 also makes plenty of buzz up here (never had it at low altitude to compare), but it's a less directional and piercing kind of buzz which I find more tolerable.

It's also possible that it's just a manufacturing variance of some power component, with some of them buzzing and others not. Obviously plasma always has some buzz but it's not always the same kind.
post #94 of 1136 Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM

I have called Samsung and now they offer me full refund and take back the TV, I still love the picture of the TV, however I cannot tolerate the buzz sound and also the minor defect on the panel. The question now is which is the next TV shall I get??
post #95 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 AM

Liked: 11
Another one getting this issue. Read before hand that this was an issue, then some people got sets and said couldn't hear it so suggested it must be fixed.

No picture, no matter how good, is worth the buzzing. This is a tv issue which is probably one reason Samsung are being so nice with honouring warranties. But maybe Samsung is just good that way.

I took the risk, and watching tv centre on about 8 feet away. Buzzing is audible at volume 19. Audible on all levels when the in silents scenes, between commercials, etc.

Given different sets haven't helped others I'll likely just ask Samsung to refund.
post #96 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 AM

post #97 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurieuo View Post

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=9&rdm=too7s6xg#/watch?v=FvkJmcyynB4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFvkJmcyynB4

There is the sound. And yes it's that loud coming out the back.

First off, here's the proper URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvkJmcyynB4

WTF - you're going above and beyond to force a buzz at this point. Who in their right mind is going to watch the TV with the back panel removed? Pretty lame way to claim you've a buzz!

I'm still split between ZT60 and F8500, so I have no skin in this game yet. However, I do think it would help people like me if others who own the F8500 set properly report the buzzing issue from 8-10 feet.
post #98 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

WTF - you're going above and beyond to force a buzz at this point. Who in their right mind is going to watch the TV with the back panel removed? Pretty lame way to claim you've a buzz!

I'm still split between ZT60 and F8500, so I have no skin in this game yet. However, I do think it would help people like me if others who own the F8500 set properly report the buzzing issue from 8-10 feet.

Pretty sure he's trying to show where the buzz is coming from. Calm down dude.
post #99 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Another one getting this issue. Read before hand that this was an issue, then some people got sets and said couldn't hear it so suggested it must be fixed.

No picture, no matter how good, is worth the buzzing. This is a tv issue which is probably one reason Samsung are being so nice with honouring warranties. But maybe Samsung is just good that way.

I took the risk, and watching tv centre on about 8 feet away. Buzzing is audible at volume 19. Audible on all levels when the in silents scenes, between commercials, etc.

Given different sets haven't helped others I'll likely just ask Samsung to refund.

Do you know what month your TV was produced? Mine was produced in June with no buzz.
post #100 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Mine first set was produced in June, swap another one which was produced in July, both buzz
post #101 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM

That's really interesting. Are you at a high elevation or closer to sea level? I'm in the SF Bay Area which is pretty close to sea level for what it's worth.
post #102 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

That's really interesting. Are you at a high elevation or closer to sea level? I'm in the SF Bay Area which is pretty close to sea level for what it's worth.

My house elevation is near to the sea level, it's certainly not the altitude problem.
post #103 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

Relax mate.

Seems like you got to the video, the URL of which was pasted using my Samsung Galaxy.

Re: video, it's not mine. But rather references to show this is a real issue. especially to anyone who hasn't experienced it who just chirps the line "that's what plasmas do."
post #104 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

Do you know what month your TV was produced? Mine was produced in June with no buzz.
No idea when it was made, but I just ordered it. Could have been stocked.

Is there a way to find out? I looked at the sticker on the back and couldn't see any date.
post #105 of 1136 Old 07-30-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes 

Like I did in my first post? wink.gif
Quote:
Phanes likes this.
post #106 of 1136 Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:

No idea when it was made, but I just ordered it. Could have been stocked.

Is there a way to find out? I looked at the sticker on the back and couldn't see any date.

It's on the sticker in the back. It should say "June 2013" or something similar.
post #107 of 1136 Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Couldn't see a date on any sticker either side on the back of the TV outsides.... but I managed to look through the small holes in the back cover to see a sticker with a manufacture date of 14 March 2013.

So, I'm guessing mine may be an older make, unless that's just the date one of the boards or parts inside...
post #108 of 1136 Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Also, not sure if related... but watching it sometimes strains my eyes as I can detect some faint flickering. I noticed when lights/monitors flicker, they have a tendency to buzz also -- so don't know if at all related.

I previously owned an LCD, and from what I've read it could just be me need to adjust to a "plasma flicker". Picture kicks butt over my old Bravia. Great colours and picture. The people look so real at times, and you can feel the camera scrolling more smoothly. But, I also feel my eyes really straining at times. They could just be sensitive perhaps....

Also, re: buzz, I've found if you don't mind sitting off to the side a bit... say 8-9 feet back to 2 metres to the left or right, then the buzz is really hard to hear. Being dead centre in front, the buzz will just hit you every time.

I'm kind of hoping Samsung will just take it back, and then I'll likely get their F8000 LCD instead.
post #109 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Also, not sure if related... but watching it sometimes strains my eyes as I can detect some faint flickering. I noticed when lights/monitors flicker, they have a tendency to buzz also -- so don't know if at all related.

I previously owned an LCD, and from what I've read it could just be me need to adjust to a "plasma flicker". Picture kicks butt over my old Bravia. Great colours and picture. The people look so real at times, and you can feel the camera scrolling more smoothly. But, I also feel my eyes really straining at times. They could just be sensitive perhaps....

Also, re: buzz, I've found if you don't mind sitting off to the side a bit... say 8-9 feet back to 2 metres to the left or right, then the buzz is really hard to hear. Being dead centre in front, the buzz will just hit you every time.

I'm kind of hoping Samsung will just take it back, and then I'll likely get their F8000 LCD instead.

I notice the flicker, but on their worse sets more so than their newer sets. In fact, on the inferior sets I can barely even STAND the flicker.

I notice it more during movies now, but with Cinema Smooth on I don't notice it anymore.

By the way, if I ever said my sister and her husband's Samsung PN64D7000 doesn't buzz while my Samsung PN59D7000 does, I lied. Not intentionally, but I just plopped down in front of their TV, about 14 feet back. BAM! I wasn't even listening for it, and it hit me. At normal volume? Inaudible. Quiet moments? (during films and such) OH YEAH!

Oh, and my F8500 buzzes too, but it's insignificant in comparison to my D7000. Much better!
post #110 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Wow the F8000 LED is very expensive, almost double the price of F8500... wonder if the quality really surpass the F8500 ?
post #111 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

Are we talking about that center-focused Samsung buzz, the one that it fires straight out of the middle of the panel? Very strange issue since it's really only a concern if you sit dead center.

60” F8500 owner since June and this is the exact buzzing I hear. I have about 100 hours on the panel and no change in the buzzing level. When seating directly in the center of the TV about 8-10 feet away it is most noticeable. I must have very good hearing or something because I have sat my wife in the same spot and she looks at me like "what, I don't hear anything...". Although she does not hear the break squeak on our van either so I put no stock in her hearing wink.gif Out of our 4 children, one of my sons can hear it and the rest cannot. As others have mentioned some folks must be more sensitive than others to the frequency.

I am in Illinois, so high elevation is not the cause, the panel just buzzes. As other have mentioned how loud or annoying the buzzing is depends on a number of factors. I believe room dynamics is at play in my case as my TV is positioned in the corner at a 45 degree angle. The buzzing comes from the top right / left of the panel and seems to reflect off the walls and directly out. This is why I believe the buzzing is most noticeable to me when sitting in the dead center of the TV. If I move off center a bit, 1 to 2 feet, the buzz all but vanishes. I can still pick up the buzz if I concentrate on it however. My kitchen and living room are connected, open floor plan, and depending on where I am in in my kitchen, which would be 20 feet away, I can pick up some faint buzzing.

I consider myself anal when it comes to stuff like this and I can honestly say it has not annoyed me yet. The PQ and other features, to me, outweigh the buzzing. But this is a personal decision. I think the only way one can decide would be to have the TV in their environment, sitting in their favorite spot with their favorite drink and only then you can decide if its an issue for you.
post #112 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Relax mate.

Seems like you got to the video, the URL of which was pasted using my Samsung Galaxy.

Re: video, it's not mine. But rather references to show this is a real issue. especially to anyone who hasn't experienced it who just chirps the line "that's what plasmas do."

I watched the video and that is the buzz that all three of my plasmas make; Samsung and Panasonic. The only thing that this video has done for me is confirmed that the buzz shown in the video is indeed 'what plasmas do'. The Samsung's buzz that people are running into is a front directional buzz in a small window. My Panasonics (2 of them) buzz louder than the video and the Samsung from the side and behind.
post #113 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=9&rdm=too7s6xg#/watch?v=FvkJmcyynB4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFvkJmcyynB4

There is the sound. And yes it's that loud coming out the back.

If that's the buzz everyone has been talking about then I can say with absolute certainty that all Samsung plasmas do not buzz. I've owned a E7000 and now a F8500 and both were silent. No buzz like that whatsoever. No idea what that means in terms of how prevalent it is, or if this info helps or frustrates you, but I guarantee mine didn't buzz like that.
post #114 of 1136 Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
I just watched that clip. Hard to know what level recorded at, but I definitely heard that, but no sound like that from my set (PN59D8000) unless recorded at a very high level or something, sure there's an electronic buzz but nowhere near that loud/annoying. However, this is more along the lines of what I want to know....where's the measuring gear? Let's put some numbers to this stuff. I still think it's just a specific manufacturing/component defect, not representative of the whole technology/all plasmas but some may be more sensitive to the frequency but not in that clip, I'd return that sucker within minutes of using the set if as loud as implied in the recording.
post #115 of 1136 Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM

The buzz the OP is talking about is clearly a Samsung-only related issue. I've owned an LG PK750, PZ950, and a Panasonic VT50, none of them buzz like the Samsung PN-B650 and PN-E8000 that I had.
post #116 of 1136 Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOHazard87 View Post

The buzz the OP is talking about is clearly a Samsung-only related issue. I've owned an LG PK750, PZ950, and a Panasonic VT50, none of them buzz like the Samsung PN-B650 and PN-E8000 that I had.

More accurately it is a manufactured-set specific thing as well as perhaps a sensitive consumer. It's not brand-specific let alone model-specific. Consider it the bias of those who might report issues on forums where others may not even know the forums exist....
post #117 of 1136 Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

More accurately it is a manufactured-set specific thing as well as perhaps a sensitive consumer. It's not brand-specific let alone model-specific. Consider it the bias of those who might report issues on forums where others may not even know the forums exist....

Not really... my previous plasma did not have this problem.
post #118 of 1136 Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Not really... my previous plasma did not have this problem.

I'm sorry, but that relates to my comment how?
post #119 of 1136 Old 08-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just picked up my PN64F8500 on Saturday, and I won't lie, this thread scared me after I purchased it on Friday. My Panasonic ST30 can get loud in terms of buzzing and this screen being much larger had me worried. That all being said, the buzz on my new plasma is not audible from a couple of feet away. It's not even a comparison between the Samsung and the Panasonic. The Panasonic is much louder, so I was pleasantly surprised I didn't experience what some are in this thread. I sit 8 feet away for reference.

Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #120 of 1136 Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

If that's the buzz everyone has been talking about then I can say with absolute certainty that all Samsung plasmas do not buzz. I've owned a E7000 and now a F8500 and both were silent. No buzz like that whatsoever. No idea what that means in terms of how prevalent it is, or if this info helps or frustrates you, but I guarantee mine didn't buzz like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

I watched the video and that is the buzz that all three of my plasmas make; Samsung and Panasonic. The only thing that this video has done for me is confirmed that the buzz shown in the video is indeed 'what plasmas do'. The Samsung's buzz that people are running into is a front directional buzz in a small window. My Panasonics (2 of them) buzz louder than the video and the Samsung from the side and behind.
Nice one guys.

If you hear nothing while watching your plasma TV then best of luck to you.

If you haven't purchased an F8500 then I encourage you to do so. tongue.gif Great picture.

If you haven't experienced an F8500 then why post?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page