Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 294 Old 02-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This "remote IR" buzz was loud and angry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 294 Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

On some, there seems to be 2 types of buzz - I from frame that have a chance of being fixed
However the "general screen buzz" very directional seems not to be solvable or able to be moderated, sadly in a lot of cases
like mine - frame solved, screen no
More 60" seem to be afflicted by the angry beehive issue

Sad, as it is a beautiful screen - I'm keeping it & accepting it (1st one was returned)

Exactly. I could definitely manipulate the frame buzz, but the loud directional buzz from the center of the screen would not go away. Kills me because again, great picture. But any movie with quiet dialogue drives me nuts.

post #183 of 294 Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullme109 View Post

Exactly. I could definitely manipulate the frame buzz, but the loud directional buzz from the center of the screen would not go away. Kills me because again, great picture. But any movie with quiet dialogue drives me nuts.

Sounds like it's like my 1st returned set.

This one is lower enough that it is liveable

Can you raise or lower it?

I took off the curved Sammy stand & mounted it ~8" higher - no way! - I'm going to be putting it back down.

Some have claimed moving it up or down solved almost all the issue - this screen buzz is VERY directional

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #184 of 294 Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 AM

Yea, I thought about it, but even mounting it wouldn't fix my issue. Just changing my position up or down, you still get that loud directional buzz from the center. I was literally sitting way off to the side to watch movies. Then I was like, wait, I spent almost $3 grand on this TV, haha, this is ridiculous. Decided to return it.

Now I'm just debating on waiting on the 2014 plasmas, or seeing how much better the new LCD's get. But blach, I hate even using the word LCD. Seems dirty. Then again, I haven't checked one out in years, so I'm sure they're much better than they were 5 years ago when I bought my last plasma.

post #185 of 294 Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullme109 View Post

Yea, I thought about it, but even mounting it wouldn't fix my issue. Just changing my position up or down, you still get that loud directional buzz from the center. I was literally sitting way off to the side to watch movies. Then I was like, wait, I spent almost $3 grand on this TV, haha, this is ridiculous. Decided to return it.

Now I'm just debating on waiting on the 2014 plasmas, or seeing how much better the new LCD's get. But blach, I hate even using the word LCD. Seems dirty. Then again, I haven't checked one out in years, so I'm sure they're much better than they were 5 years ago when I bought my last plasma.

Off to the side is one I haven't come across yet!! whoa that's terrible! Mine is so precise of a pinpoint direction just raising or lowering my head affects it.

LCD - yeah crap in my eyes too - lets not mention LED eek.gif

I have a very costly 32" LCD monitor for gaming fantastic for TV or movies eech!!

EDIT 2nd LCD changed to LED

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
post #186 of 294 Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

On some, there seems to be 2 types of buzz - I from frame that have a chance of being fixed
However the "general screen buzz" very directional seems not to be solvable or able to be moderated, sadly in a lot of cases
like mine - frame solved, screen no
More 60" seem to be afflicted by the angry beehive issue

Sad, as it is a beautiful screen - I'm keeping it & accepting it (1st one was returned)

I have a solution to my issue. I'm not sure if it applies to other, but I noticed that when I moved my power cable from an extension cord to the wall unit, the buzz decreased. The cable has a ferrite core on it. So what I did was purchase 10 ferrite cores from Amazon and put one on each cable that connects to the TV. Apparently, plasmas put out tons of RF signals and the cables seem to radiate these signals. My buzzing has significantly went down and I can now only hear it when I'm right next to the screen. I'm not sure if it will work for others, but it may be worth a try to disconnect all cables from the TV to see if your buzzing goes down.

Another issue is that ever since I switched over to Antenna only, the TV kills VHF channel 7 every time it turns on. I can watch channel 7 on my other TV, but the moment the F8500 turns on, it kills the channel on all TV's, without fail. So for some reason, this TV (or my particular TV) outputs a signal that kills VHF channel 7.
post #187 of 294 Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

I have a solution to my issue. I'm not sure if it applies to other, but I noticed that when I moved my power cable from an extension cord to the wall unit, the buzz decreased. The cable has a ferrite core on it. So what I did was purchase 10 ferrite cores from Amazon and put one on each cable that connects to the TV. Apparently, plasmas put out tons of RF signals and the cables seem to radiate these signals. My buzzing has significantly went down and I can now only hear it when I'm right next to the screen. I'm not sure if it will work for others, but it may be worth a try to disconnect all cables from the TV to see if your buzzing goes down.

Another issue is that ever since I switched over to Antenna only, the TV kills VHF channel 7 every time it turns on. I can watch channel 7 on my other TV, but the moment the F8500 turns on, it kills the channel on all TV's, without fail. So for some reason, this TV (or my particular TV) outputs a signal that kills VHF channel 7.

Glad you got good results!!
I go directly from the F8500 to the TV plug on my rack mount Monster power conditioner. I have the ferrite core on the TV power plug right at the plug at the TV.
No other cables except 1 HDMI to input 1 on TV.
The TV does not affect any other component or remote IR or RF
I don't use any U/VHF sources.

I would love to see what frequency the buzz is... I don't have equipment to measure it...

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
post #188 of 294 Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

I had the same issue with vhf 7 on both my plasma tv's (Pionner and Samsung). A bit different though. Everytime someone would turn on a light, I would lose the channel for a split second. Just that channel via OTA amplified antenna. Once I got a better surge protector, that fixed the problem. I don't think it was the tv, but the amplifier on the antenna. Another issue is what type of speakers you have next to your tv. Not all are shielded, and that can also cause issues.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #189 of 294 Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I had the same issue with vhf 7 on both my plasma tv's (Pionner and Samsung). A bit different though. Everytime someone would turn on a light, I would lose the channel for a split second. Just that channel via OTA amplified antenna. Once I got a better surge protector, that fixed the problem. I don't think it was the tv, but the amplifier on the antenna. Another issue is what type of speakers you have next to your tv. Not all are shielded, and that can also cause issues.

I moved the antenna to the roof from the attic and channel 7 is back. Unfortunately, I can still hear the buzz, but not as loud if I put position my body just right with total silence. Pushing on the back of the TV diminishes it somewhat so I suspect it's some sort of vibration from the high current that the plasma produces. I'm not going to worry about it any more because I usually watch TV with the sound volume up, at -20 DB from my AV receiver. I only hear it when the sound is muted with everyone silent. I'm not even going to worry about it any more and just enjoy the TV.
post #190 of 294 Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 116
mine buzzes as well. Certainly louder then my Panny's. Its lower right side, about 1/3 of the way in. If my head isn't in front of it, I don't hear it even in a dead silent room. But if my head is in the right spot in front of it, even dead center to tv, I can hear it quite clearly even over low tv volume. Its not enough for me to return it. I am very easily irritated by buzzes - so obviously it is not that bad. Seems to vary a bit too, with some days its just not that bad.

60" model, a few days old.
post #191 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM

I bought the 51" F8500 a couple weeks ago, had it mounted on the wall, and noticed the buzzing right away. I'd describe my hearing as a little below average. I'm 36, used to go to heavy metal concerts, and have a hard time making out what people are saying in bars and other loud places.

Doesn't matter if I was directly in front or off to the side. The noise was noticeable and distracting from 9-10 feet away until volume on tv is set to 10. It's a constant noise, though it got a little worse when displaying bright video. It sounds just like that youtube vid in post #97 of this thread.

I called up Samsung tech support, they told me that all plasmas buzz, and that I could try lowering the brightness or contrast settings. I did, difference in noise was negligible, and certainly not worth it. I tried pressing fingers against the frame in various spots, no change.

I went to best buy, and they had a 64", same model set up in their home theater room. Nice salesguy turned it on, set volume 0, and shut the doors to the room. I know the ambient noise is still much higher in store, but I couldn't hear the buzzing even when standing 2 feet away. I hope that means I just had a bad one. I decided to do an exchange, had a new one delivered this morning, and can't wait to get back home to see if it's is better.
post #192 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekonn View Post

I bought the 51" F8500 a couple weeks ago, had it mounted on the wall, and noticed the buzzing right away. I'd describe my hearing as a little below average. I'm 36, used to go to heavy metal concerts, and have a hard time making out what people are saying in bars and other loud places.

Doesn't matter if I was directly in front or off to the side. The noise was noticeable and distracting from 9-10 feet away until volume on tv is set to 10. It's a constant noise, though it got a little worse when displaying bright video. It sounds just like that youtube vid in post #97 of this thread.

I called up Samsung tech support, they told me that all plasmas buzz, and that I could try lowering the brightness or contrast settings. I did, difference in noise was negligible, and certainly not worth it. I tried pressing fingers against the frame in various spots, no change.

I went to best buy, and they had a 64", same model set up in their home theater room. Nice salesguy turned it on, set volume 0, and shut the doors to the room. I know the ambient noise is still much higher in store, but I couldn't hear the buzzing even when standing 2 feet away. I hope that means I just had a bad one. I decided to do an exchange, had a new one delivered this morning, and can't wait to get back home to see if it's is better.

I went through 3 F8500's. Two were the 60", and had horrible buzz. It literally ruined any movies with quiet dialogue. Samsung also gave me the "all plasmas buzz" line, which really, is BS. I own two other older plasmas, one Panny and one Samsung. They both don't buzz, and you don't hear anything unless your head is pressed against the back of the TV. Totally silent. The two 60" F8500's sounded like a bee hive, it was ridiculous. Even from 8-10 feet away, coming from the center of the screen.

Last one I had was the 64", which definitely buzzed less than the 60"s I had, but was still loud enough to ruin quiet movies for me. I just couldn't justify keeping a TV that costs near 3 grand with those types of issues. Great picture though. For now I'm sticking with my 5 year old plasma. The buzzing on the F8500 made me fall back in love with it, so so quiet.

post #193 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
All plasmas do buzz, yes, but they don't buzz at the same frequency or decibel level. wink.gif
post #194 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 743
has ANYBODY returned a plasma and been happy with the replacement?

seems like there's only two options:

A) i bought my tv, it's awesome, can't hear any buzzing at viewing distance while watching content.

B) i returned 17 units and they all buzzed super loud, now i have a different model

i REALLY think buzzing is about personal sensitivity.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #195 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

A) i bought my tv, it's awesome, can't hear any buzzing at viewing distance while watching content.

B) i returned 17 units and they all buzzed super loud, now i have a different model

I returned my 1st one & the replacement is much better (61db at screen (Xdb ?? I forget) 11-12 ft away)
- annoys me sometimes, but overall I can live with it. Now has thousands of hours on it

In some of the topics a few have done MANY replacements & finally got a good one.
Some just gave up & got another model... I got a better one with 1 exchange

As for "i REALLY think buzzing is about personal sensitivity"
Apparently for some sets, that doesn't hold true as an absolute.
- that 1st set is still in the store as a demo & a loaner
- over 30 people who sat down to view it (not walked by it) have remarked that the buzzing is totally unacceptable.
- that one is a directional screen buzzer, not rear metal mesh buzzing (81db at screen 41 11-12 ft away) thousands of hours on it
60" are the most problematic with regards to buzzing

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
post #196 of 294 Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

Not really, like I said, I have two other plasmas that are almost silent. Only the F8500 drove me insane. The 64" was definitely quieter than the 60". If you're talking specific to that model, than maybe. But I returned the same model of my older Samsung years ago for the same model and the replacement was totally silent compared to the original. It just really seems to vary by set. My old Panny was quiet on the first try. It sucks, because I really don't like LCD. For now I'll just live with my older plasmas.

post #197 of 294 Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Ugh, so got my 60' F8500 on Friday from Amazon and it has the dreaded buzzing from like 7-8 feet away, but like most people's it's only if you sit in dead center (best spot ironically). It's AWFUL and is driving me totally nuts, seriously WTF is up with Samsung? I've been running the slides in a almost continuous loop since then but it hasn't dented the buzzing. Figure I have maybe 40 hours on it? Has anyone had this directional center buzzing and had it go away after a prolonged like 200+ hour break-in period? Other than the buzzing the TV is awesome, screen is flawless with no pixel, line or banding issues. I would rather not swap it out or have a technician come out if I can have it go away with 200 hours of break-in. Thoughts?
post #198 of 294 Old 03-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post

Ugh, so got my 60' F8500 on Friday from Amazon and it has the dreaded buzzing from like 7-8 feet away, but like most people's it's only if you sit in dead center (best spot ironically). It's AWFUL and is driving me totally nuts, seriously WTF is up with Samsung? I've been running the slides in a almost continuous loop since then but it hasn't dented the buzzing. Figure I have maybe 40 hours on it? Has anyone had this directional center buzzing and had it go away after a prolonged like 200+ hour break-in period? Other than the buzzing the TV is awesome, screen is flawless with no pixel, line or banding issues. I would rather not swap it out or have a technician come out if I can have it go away with 200 hours of break-in. Thoughts?

Factually, I have NOT seen any 60" get better - as a matter of fact mine seems to be increasing in buzz lately & I have over 2,000 hours & adding 8-10 more a day
- NOT better
- my first one was even worse with 81db at screen
Sammy tech came out with an SPL meter, for the first one - I was told it is "within Samsung specs" - absolute nonsense mad.gif
60" are the worst of the 3 sizes - some 60" owners say they have no buzz or can't hear it - I need facts to believe that

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
post #199 of 294 Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 22
I took delivery of a 60f8500 on Saturday. I've wall mounted it using a Monoprice slim mount.
Love the picture, smart hub, design, etc., but, it's a BUZZER. My centered, main viewing position is
on the couch roughly 12 feet away from the center of the TV and I am accutely aware of the buzz.
I move a foot to the left or right and the buzz more or less goes away. I can hear it over a
15 volume using built-in speakers. I can even hear it droning away when I listen to the surround sound system.
Thinking about the buzz while here at work is giving me a headache. It's a shame.

But, I was prepared for this after researching prior to ordering.

I've contacted Nebraska Furniture Mart here in KC and arranged a swap. New set will be delivered in two days.

Hope I hit the "No-buzz lottery" with the new set. I'll let you know...
post #200 of 294 Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefwahl View Post

I took delivery of a 60f8500 on Saturday. I've wall mounted it using a Monoprice slim mount.
Love the picture, smart hub, design, etc., but, it's a BUZZER.
Ugh WT* Samsung.... this is so easily replicatable I can't believe they are unable to fix it. I haven't poured over every post on the F8500 but has anyone given a reason behind the weird one directional buzzing? What is Samsung going to say, don't sit at the best spot in the room? lol
post #201 of 294 Old 03-26-2014, 01:09 PM

Got the exchange today. Exactly the same deal. No buzzing from sides or back. No audible buzz heard with ear near the screen.
Walk back to about 3 feet from center of screen and BBZZZZZ. Best seat in the house, dead center of screen, 11-12 feet back, BZZZZ.

Gonna let it marinate over the weekend. See if it gets better or if I start to become less aware of it.

If I can't stand it after 4 or 5 days, I'll return it and grab a 65F8000. /shrug
post #202 of 294 Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Got the exchange today. Exactly the same deal. No buzzing from sides or back. No audible buzz heard with ear near the screen.
Walk back to about 3 feet from center of screen and BBZZZZZ. Best seat in the house, dead center of screen, 11-12 feet back, BZZZZ.

Gonna let it marinate over the weekend. See if it gets better or if I start to become less aware of it.

If I can't stand it after 4 or 5 days, I'll return it and grab a 65F8000. /shrug

What size? Hate to break it to you, but it won't get better. Since it's a plasma, the best seat in the house is not necessarily in the center.
post #203 of 294 Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM

It's a 60-inch. Not a problem to exchange it out in a week or so if I can't get over it.

I take comfort in knowing that anytime a bee buzzes towards me or I walk under a set of buzzing powerlines, memories of these precious inky-black days will come flooding back...
post #204 of 294 Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

What size? Hate to break it to you, but it won't get better. Since it's a plasma, the best seat in the house is not necessarily in the center.

Did you exchange your 60' for a 64"? If so, does it too have the front and center directional buzz? My zest for plasma is very low, but I would consider an exchange to 64" if I had a better chance of getting a "non-buzzer, although, an LED sounds like a nice safe bet at this time...
post #205 of 294 Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Did you exchange your 60' for a 64"? If so, does it too have the front and center directional buzz? My zest for plasma is very low, but I would consider an exchange to 64" if I had a better chance of getting a "non-buzzer, although, an LED sounds like a nice safe bet at this time...

Yes, I did exchange for the 64. It is much quieter than the 60" and not annoying in pitch....more like a humm.
post #206 of 294 Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I have a Panasonic plasma.....no buzz at all. Zero.
ChadThunder likes this.
post #207 of 294 Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Update, got my replacement set, also a 51" F8500, it's somewhat better. Sat on same spot on couch, watched same show. On mute, still very noticeable. At volume set to 7 I notice it slightly, and at volume 8 I can't hear it anymore. I was hoping for better, but I think this is good enough. I watched 3 episodes of Walking Dead last night at volume of 20 and didn't notice the buzzing at all during quieter scenes.

Maybe someday high end tvs will come with separate power supplies like computers have. Would love to put that noisemaker in the basement or in a closet, and would happily pay extra for that feature.
post #208 of 294 Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Exchanging the 60F8500 plasma for a 65F8000 LED tomorrow. My wife is tired of the TV stuff. My plasma experiment is over. Can't deny the great picture; can't ignore the BUZZZZZ.
post #209 of 294 Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Exchanging the 60F8500 plasma for a 65F8000 LED tomorrow. My wife is tired of the TV stuff. My plasma experiment is over. Can't deny the great picture; can't ignore the BUZZZZZ.
Sometimes I think I can ignore it, then BAM it's there. I enjoy sitting front and center of my TV, sitting to the left or right is just bizarre (when it's just me). I'm tempted to open it up and see if there's anything I can do inside. The picture is just so nice, why oh why can't they just fix the issue? :-/ I've heard that the 64's don't really buzz, so maybe I can go to that....
post #210 of 294 Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I wouldn't put up with that if it was my set its to bad that particular size seems to be plagued with the buzzing.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page