Samsung F8500 Plasma Buzz and Buzzing, do they all? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently purchased a new 60" Samsung F8500. Clearly a great picture and, for me, superior to anything else out there including the Panasonic VT60 and ZT60. This TV is replacing a professional series Panasonic (50phd8uk) that I loved but was 8 years old.

The problem I have is an annoying buzz that seems to exist throughout the TV, front/back/left/right. It is extremely noticable if there is no volume and even with the sound at 18 it continues to clearly buzz from 6 feet or so from the set. It's not really loud, just an annoying incesssant buzz that gets a little louder with lighter scenes. Since I still have my old set mounted and working, it was easy for me to confirm that the Panasonic does not make any such buzzing sound (except real close to the back panel) and therefore I do not agree that "all plasmas buzz," at least to the same degree as this set.

Here and elsewhere I have seen the same general statements, all plasmas buzz (at least since they became so thin) or all Samsungs buzz or something equivalent. It is believed that people that don't have the "buzz" issue just can't hear it or are luckily not that sensitive to it. Essentially, I think the advice is something along the lines of, 'dude, learn to live with it, or return it and go to a different brand.' I like the picture enough that I may have to learn to live with it, but if there's any chance to get a set that doesn't buzz I don't mind taking the inititive and time to make it happen.

After noticing the problem, from the very first time I turned it on, I called Samsung and scheduled a technician to come out. I received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order (in advance) two internal boards that apparently often resolve the issue in so they could do more than just diagnose when they got out to my home. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The technician was very understanding, could hear it, and tried both of the boards, to no avail. He agreed to order a new panel, which is basically a new TV other than the frame.

He installed the new panel yesterday and it did not resolve the issue. It still buzzes, although there is little doubt that it buzzes less than the original panel. For that reason alone I am happy I went through the effort. But, if there really is the potential to obtain a set that doesn't buzz I would sure like to do so. I just came from BB/Magnolia where I tried my best to find a buzz in their display set so that I could satisfy myself that there really isn't a fix to this problem. I turned down the volume on as many sets as I could and put my ear right against the front of the panel and the rear of the panel. I honestly could not hear much, if any, buzz on the set in their store. Of course, there's a significant amount of ambiant noise so that certainly could be the reason. But I really tried to hear it, but didn't.

Long story short, would I be wasting my time pushing this issue further with Samsung or the retailer and try more panels or a new set altogether? I know some people don't hear the buzz but I think the annoyance of the buzz may very well be personal to the listener. In fact, the technician told me yesterday that he was in another home repairing the HDMI input on an F8500 and said he could hear the buzz but the customer wasn't complaining to him at all about it. I felt better that the technician could hear it but even he couldn't definitievely say whether the buzz was within normal levels or not.

I wonder if anyone had an F8500 and returned it because of the buzz and ultimately received one that didn't buzz. That would help determine if the buzz is on all of them or not. Wish I could just listen to five or six of them myself, but maybe finding out if anyone who hears the buzz was able to resolve it, is the next best thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 741
I'd ask in the various dedicated threads to Samsung plasmas. My PN59D8000 has no audible buzz unless I listen to the back of the set. My PS3 can drown that out in any case. Samsung does seem to have a large number of sets that buzz, though. Probably poor qc.

post #3 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having the same situation, I could hear the annoying high pitch buzz noise even I sit 10 feet away from the TV.
post #4 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Estiff, I do believe all plasmas buzz, but in varying degrees. It's almost futile to ask the question 'Does your plasma buzz'.

There are so many variables between hearing acuity, ambient room conditions (carpeting, window treatments, ceiling heights etc.), altitude, mounting approaches, seating distances and angles from the screen etc., you could have your very panel in 20 different homes and get 20 different responses.

If you can live with the buzz of your panel, then I'd say keep it. I don't think your odds of getting one much better will be great. If you read some other threads for other manufacturers, you'll see some people have fan noise in addition to buzzing. Only an LED will mitigate these issues, but then you'll take a hit in PQ with today's LED offerings.
post #5 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 PM

I do agree that plasma buzzes, however it is ridiculous that if a plasma buzz noise is louder than the speaker volume at normal level and it is disturbing the enjoyment of watching a TV
post #6 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have had a 60" and now a 64" F8500. The 60" buzzed a lot fresh out of the box which was annoying, but the buzzing diminished a lot over 2-3 weeks to an acceptable level. My 64" buzzed a little out of the box. Now I hear no buzzing. My 64" is a month old. My experience has shown the buzzing diminishes significantly with time. Power supply break in? I'm at 5300 feet.

Samsung PN64F8500: Oppo 105D; Onkyo TX-SR805; Polk LSI x 5; Kimber Kable 12TC Speaker Cable; Monnster Cable Speaker Cable; Shunyata Research Aries interconnects; Shunyata Research Anaconda CX Power Cord; Monster Cable 700 and 1000 HDX HDMI Cables; John 3:16;
post #7 of 294 Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post

I have had a 60" and now a 64" F8500. The 60" buzzed a lot fresh out of the box which was annoying, but the buzzing diminished a lot over 2-3 weeks to an acceptable level. My 64" buzzed a little out of the box. Now I hear no buzzing. My 64" is a month old. My experience has shown the buzzing diminishes significantly with time. Power supply break in? I'm at 5300 feet.

What is your average hour usage per day? I'm using it exactly one week, average 8 hours per day, I'm still thinking if I shall wait for a month just to try my luck see if the buzz diminishes before I ask for technician
post #8 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

I do agree that plasma buzzes, however it is ridiculous that if a plasma buzz noise is louder than the speaker volume at normal level and it is disturbing the enjoyment of watching a TV

That degree of buzzing I've never heard on any plasma I've owned or seen. If that's the case, then something certainly seems wrong.
post #9 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post

Dubsduck, just out of curiosity, do you see a difference in black levels between your 60" & 64"?
post #10 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All Plasma panels buzz, it is inherit of the technology and the buzzing is worse as you go up in elevation. Each panel however may vary in terms of how loud it buzzes. I have had a number of plasma TVs and never had one that doesn't buzz. Each one however has it's own behavior. I have a couple of Panasonic's that buzz loudly from the sides and back, but only slightly from the front. The 64" F8500 we recently purchased start out with a loud directional buzz in front of the right bottom side of the TV but that buzz has all but gone after 2 weeks. The thinner the plasma TVs are getting it seems the worse the speaker capability and more pronounced the buzzing. It may also be that the single sheet of glass used in the F8500 may be reducing the forward facing sound absorption of the buzzing. That being said if the buzzing is bothering you and you do not want to keep playing the exchange game to get a low buzz level one you may want to look at a LCD TV.
post #11 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
You are wasting your time pursuing it further with samsung. All plasmas do buzz, some louder than others. My samsungs were by far the worse, while I could not hear them at general listening level.. if it was really quiet in teh house and the volume was a little lower I could hear it from 10ft away. My C550 was bad, my C7000 was not quite as bad..

my panasonic buzzes but I can only hear it if im right up next to the TV, even if the room is silent I can't hear it.

It's pretty hit or miss it seems with some of these plasmas, some are just plain obnoxious and others are much more subtle.

it becomes a question of if the superior picture quality in your eyes is a good trade off to the buzz. I will say when I first got my old samsungs it bugged me for a few weeks.. then my ears pretty much became immune to it.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #12 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 AM

Liked: 23
I would not say the F8500 is Clearly superior to the VT/ZT ROFL
post #13 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

I was just leaving that quote alone LOL but knew someone was going to chime in with that.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #14 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing wrong with his statement, he did say 'for him', so I'm not understanding why you're "ROFL". That's just another way of saying "IMO". Many 8500 owners might say the same thing since they shopped, compared it to the VT/ZT and bought the 8500. Similarly, most VT/ZT would say the same of their displays. We all make our choices for a reason. smile.gif
smbsocal likes this.
post #15 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

[Flame begin]

I would say so. We had the ability to view all three at the local BB and in terms of the overall image it was very apparent. The best way I can describe it is like the claritin commercial, the VT/ZT is like you are stuck with allergies making everything seem dim and blurry while the F8500 is after you took claritin and everything is now bright, sharp and clear to see.

The VT/ZT does have slightly better blacks but if all I was concerned about was a black screen I could just never turn on the TV and stare at the blackest blacks. tongue.gif

[Flame end]
Ken Ross likes this.
post #16 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM

I got my 60" F8500 about a week ago. When I went to BB Magnolia, I could only detect the buzz on the store model if I put my ear up to it and/or behind it. On my set, there is no detectable buzz unless I put my ear right up to the vent on the back. Perhaps I got lucky. I live ~650ft above sea level and use a line conditioner, if that makes a difference.
post #17 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by estiff View Post

I recently purchased a new 60" Samsung F8500. Clearly a great picture and, for me, superior to anything else out there including the Panasonic VT60 and ZT60. This TV is replacing a professional series Panasonic (50phd8uk) that I loved but was 8 years old.

The problem I have is an annoying buzz that seems to exist throughout the TV, front/back/left/right. It is extremely noticable if there is no volume and even with the sound at 18 it continues to clearly buzz from 6 feet or so from the set. It's not really loud, just an annoying incesssant buzz that gets a little louder with lighter scenes. Since I still have my old set mounted and working, it was easy for me to confirm that the Panasonic does not make any such buzzing sound (except real close to the back panel) and therefore I do not agree that "all plasmas buzz," at least to the same degree as this set.

Here and elsewhere I have seen the same general statements, all plasmas buzz (at least since they became so thin) or all Samsungs buzz or something equivalent. It is believed that people that don't have the "buzz" issue just can't hear it or are luckily not that sensitive to it. Essentially, I think the advice is something along the lines of, 'dude, learn to live with it, or return it and go to a different brand.' I like the picture enough that I may have to learn to live with it, but if there's any chance to get a set that doesn't buzz I don't mind taking the inititive and time to make it happen.

After noticing the problem, from the very first time I turned it on, I called Samsung and scheduled a technician to come out. I received a call the next day. During the call to schedule the home visit I told them the problem and they were good enough to order (in advance) two internal boards that apparently often resolve the issue in so they could do more than just diagnose when they got out to my home. The parts took about 5 days to come in and they visited the day after that. The technician was very understanding, could hear it, and tried both of the boards, to no avail. He agreed to order a new panel, which is basically a new TV other than the frame.

He installed the new panel yesterday and it did not resolve the issue. It still buzzes, although there is little doubt that it buzzes less than the original panel. For that reason alone I am happy I went through the effort. But, if there really is the potential to obtain a set that doesn't buzz I would sure like to do so. I just came from BB/Magnolia where I tried my best to find a buzz in their display set so that I could satisfy myself that there really isn't a fix to this problem. I turned down the volume on as many sets as I could and put my ear right against the front of the panel and the rear of the panel. I honestly could not hear much, if any, buzz on the set in their store. Of course, there's a significant amount of ambiant noise so that certainly could be the reason. But I really tried to hear it, but didn't.

Long story short, would I be wasting my time pushing this issue further with Samsung or the retailer and try more panels or a new set altogether? I know some people don't hear the buzz but I think the annoyance of the buzz may very well be personal to the listener. In fact, the technician told me yesterday that he was in another home repairing the HDMI input on an F8500 and said he could hear the buzz but the customer wasn't complaining to him at all about it. I felt better that the technician could hear it but even he couldn't definitievely say whether the buzz was within normal levels or not.

I wonder if anyone had an F8500 and returned it because of the buzz and ultimately received one that didn't buzz. That would help determine if the buzz is on all of them or not. Wish I could just listen to five or six of them myself, but maybe finding out if anyone who hears the buzz was able to resolve it, is the next best thing.

Yes....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #18 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

[Flame begin]

I would say so. We had the ability to view all three at the local BB and in terms of the overall image it was very apparent. The best way I can describe it is like the claritin commercial, the VT/ZT is like you are stuck with allergies making everything seem dim and blurry while the F8500 is after you took claritin and everything is now bright, sharp and clear to see.

The VT/ZT does have slightly better blacks but if all I was concerned about was a black screen I could just never turn on the TV and stare at the blackest blacks. tongue.gif

[Flame end]

Thats great so you must use your eyes like Ken Ross to determine picture quality. Thats a great analogy you used about the claritin , i wonder why they didnt use that at the 2013 Shootout?
post #19 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 381
CSIG1001 - give it a rest, this was old a few weeks ago, why do you feel the need to constantly post crap about the 8500. The VT/ZT and 8500 are 3 great displays and which one someone buys will be based on their preference, research, viewing conditions and the brand bias syndrome which is mostly a Panny thing. Ken and others are passionate and enjoying their 8500 as we are enjoying our VTs. No need to post over here unless you have something useful to offer. No doubt I would be happy with the 8500 if mine didn't buzz, no different then making sure you don't have a VT/ZT with fan noise. I just got a much better deal on the VT, don't have it in a room with a lot of windows plus right or wrong I admit to emphasizing black levels but I was coming from a Kuro.

I follow this thread because I like to keep up with any display that is highly regarded like the 8500. A great way to learn, and would recommend it to someone in a second depending on their viewing preferences.
Ken Ross and smbsocal like this.
post #20 of 294 Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

CSIG1001 - give it a rest, this was old a few weeks ago, why do you feel the need to constantly post crap about the 8500. The VT/ZT and 8500 are 3 great displays and which one someone buys will be based on their preference, research, viewing conditions and the brand bias syndrome which is mostly a Panny thing. Ken and others are passionate and enjoying their 8500 as we are enjoying our VTs. No need to post over here unless you have something useful to offer. No doubt I would be happy with the 8500 if mine didn't buzz, no different then making sure you don't have a VT/ZT with fan noise. I just got a much better deal on the VT, don't have it in a room with a lot of windows plus right or wrong I admit to emphasizing black levels but I was coming from a Kuro.

I follow this thread because I like to keep up with any display that is highly regarded like the 8500. A great way to learn, and would recommend it to someone in a second depending on their viewing preferences.

Thats great. You feel better now
post #21 of 294 Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:

What is your average hour usage per day? I'm using it exactly one week, average 8 hours per day, I'm still thinking if I shall wait for a month just to try my luck see if the buzz diminishes before I ask for technician
Quote:

1 - 2 hours a day. Watch 99% blurays. 1% wii

Samsung PN64F8500: Oppo 105D; Onkyo TX-SR805; Polk LSI x 5; Kimber Kable 12TC Speaker Cable; Monnster Cable Speaker Cable; Shunyata Research Aries interconnects; Shunyata Research Anaconda CX Power Cord; Monster Cable 700 and 1000 HDX HDMI Cables; John 3:16;
post #22 of 294 Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Dubsduck, just out of curiosity, do you see a difference in black levels between your 60" & 64"?

Nope. None at all.

post #23 of 294 Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 AM

After a thorough inspection just now, I notice that the high pitch loud noise is actually coming from the left rear side of the TV, the right side is rather low in volume and the sound is low pitch instead.
post #24 of 294 Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just got my Samsung PN51F5500 yesterday and am also dealing with a rather audible buzz. Even at normal volume you can hear it pretty easily. It's definitely worse on bright scenes, where you can clearly hear it ramp up. I'm at roughly 620FT so elevation should not be an issue. I've tried everything Samsung recommends as well, such as making sure none of the cables touch the back of the TV and that the power cable is plugged directly into a wall outlet.
post #25 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Is that true that handing the TV on the wall will reduce the buzzing noise?
post #26 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Is that true that handing the TV on the wall will reduce the buzzing noise?

I don't see how that'd help. If anything, I would think it'd make it worse as the buzzing noise has nowhere to go and is forced out the back of the TV to the front. I'm no professional though, so I really have no clue. I'd love to hear from someone informed on the matter whether that's true or not.
post #27 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Maybe if there was some sound absorption product hung on the wall, otherwise it'd just reflect off the wall.
post #28 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Maybe if there was some sound absorption product hung on the wall, otherwise it'd just reflect off the wall.

What are the products that can absorb that high pitch buzz?
post #29 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Foam? Just try any run of the mill sound absorption material.
post #30 of 294 Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Get a fan and put it behind the tv. You will never get rid of the noise. Its like me saying take away the traffic noise. You have supplement it with white noise. VT60 is great for that with its fans .
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page