2013 Panasonic S60 & S64 DIY Noise Reduction Experiments - illustrated - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 105 Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Taking the back panels off the first 50ST60 and the 50S60 I had didn't alter their buzzing at all. Nor did loosening/tightening screws internal and external. The second 50ST60 I got buzzed the same as the previous two sets, and I didn't bother trying to investigate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Taking the back panels off the first 50ST60 and the 50S60 I had didn't alter their buzzing at all. Nor did loosening/tightening screws internal and external. The second 50ST60 I got buzzed the same as the previous two sets, and I didn't bother trying to investigate it.

Good to know. Thanks.
post #63 of 105 Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
Hmm. I've had my 50S64 for almost two months now, and the popping/clicking hasn't reduced in frequency or stopped at all. I really don't want to box it up and find someone's car to take it back to Costco.
post #64 of 105 Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

Hmm. I've had my 50S64 for almost two months now, and the popping/clicking hasn't reduced in frequency or stopped at all. I really don't want to box it up and find someone's car to take it back to Costco.

It's difficult to make a useful recommendation since I'm not on the spot to hear the severity.

The earlier thread covers some of the alternatives and their risks versus benefits as I see it.
post #65 of 105 Old 08-09-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I sat around reading a book with no music or other sound on. There are still some (ticks) barely audible. For whatever reason, these occur mostly when the panel is cooling down after shutdown in a cool room & after a long run. Go figure, but I expected the opposite.

I used mini text for the word "tick" to emphasize that I would never be able to hear these with any sound on. I used the word "tick" instead of "pop" because no one could reasonably call this popping now.

That'll be my last day languishing without sound on. cool.gif

I ended up with a super quiet panel, however, I'm not sure how much of this can be recommended and therefore useful to others. I'll check in once in awhile in case there are any questions. If anyone has a time sensitive question, pm is best.
post #66 of 105 Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 66
Does the popping lead to PQ problems or is it just an audible pop that you find annoying ? Thanks
post #67 of 105 Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:

I had a 65S64 for 2 1/2 months. You are experiencing the popping due to an inherent design flaw. In my 70+ days the popping did not slow down it acually got worse. My suggestion is if it's bothering you, call on of your buddies and return it to costco. if no one is available with a bigger car to help you transport it ...i suggest going to Home Depot and rent a pick-up truck for $19.99 for the first 75 minutes and return the S64 to costco and get your money back the same day.

biggrin.gif
MountainMichael likes this.
post #68 of 105 Old 08-12-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

Does the popping lead to PQ problems or is it just an audible pop that you find annoying ? Thanks

It does not affect PQ. It is an audible pop that may range from very soft and not a big deal on many TV's to frighteningly loud and annoying on some. The latter situation appears less common but does happen sometimes. It was pretty soft on my TV but I worried it to death anyhow. rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Some have swapped out and received panels with soft popping instead of loud. If it is annoying you, suggest you might want to try swapping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Arkadian View Post

I had a 65S64 for 2 1/2 months. You are experiencing the popping due to an inherent design flaw. In my 70+ days the popping did not slow down it acually got worse. My suggestion is if it's bothering you, call on of your buddies and return it to costco. if no one is available with a bigger car to help you transport it ...i suggest going to Home Depot and rent a pick-up truck for $19.99 for the first 75 minutes and return the S64 to costco and get your money back the same day.

biggrin.gif

Hi, Eddie. How ya' doin'? Did you upgrade to a VT60? If so, how are you liking it?

mm
post #69 of 105 Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Hi, Eddie. How ya' doin'? Did you upgrade to a VT60? If so, how are you liking it?

mm

Hi Michael. I'm doing well. I did upgrade to the VT60. The picture quality is out of this world. I have never seen anything quite like it.

BUT, i should've listened to you. I since returned my VT60 eek.gif The fan noise was just too much, relentless actually. i'd say 7 out of 10 people wouldn't be bothered by the fan noise, but sadly i was one of those 3 people that was tortured by the low volume fan hum. you warned me a couple of months back in the S60 thread and i greatly appreciate you looking out for me.

I now own a 65ST60. I've only had it for about 1 week, very pleased. After a couple more weeks of owning the set, i will create a thread giving my honest opinions as an owner of the S64, ST60 & VT60.
post #70 of 105 Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Michael. I'm doing well. I did upgrade to the VT60. The picture quality is out of this world. I have never seen anything quite like it.

BUT, i should've listened to you. I since returned my VT60 eek.gif The fan noise was just too much, relentless actually. i'd say 7 out of 10 people wouldn't be bothered by the fan noise, but sadly i was one of those 3 people that was tortured by the low volume fan hum. you warned me a couple of months back in the S60 thread and i greatly appreciate you looking out for me.

I now own a 65ST60. I've only had it for about 1 week, very pleased. After a couple more weeks of owning the set, i will create a thread giving my honest opinions as an owner of the S64, ST60 & VT60.

Hi, Eddie. I'm sure sorry to hear you've had to go through the logistics of all this. When you write up your comparo of the 3 models, I'd sure appreciate it if you either pm a link to me or maybe link it in the S64 owner's poll thread. I look forward to reading your impressions.

As you may know, I had an ST60 before my S64 and really liked it a lot. I hope it turns out to be the right panel for you.

mm
post #71 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

How much was the 65ST60? I'm curious how the PQ compares to the 65S64 and if you think the premium is worth it.
post #72 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

How much was the 65ST60? I'm curious how the PQ compares to the 65S64 and if you think the premium is worth it.

I price matched Amazon's deal at best buy a couple of weeks back. I got the 65ST60 for a little over $2000 + tax. It was right around $2200 out the door. 60 day return policy from Best Buy...at that price it was tough to pass on the ST60. I was originally going to get the Samsung 64F8500, but at that time it was $3,636 after tax, and i didn't think it was $1,400 better than the ST60 for $2200 out the door. Even now with the SamsungF8500's price reduction to $2900, right around $3100 after tax, i don't think it's $900 better than the ST60.

The ST60 has a nicer picture compared to the S64. To sum things up, the picture looks more natural and realistic compared to the S64. The blacks are blacker on the ST60 and the overall color appears to be deeper and richer. The ST60 seamlessly bridges the gap between the S64 and the VT60. Certaintly not as impressive as the VT, but it definately is a better picture compared to the S64. The funny thing about high end audio/video...to get to the next level of performance we are forced to pay a premium.
post #73 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I price matched Amazon's deal at best buy a couple of weeks back. I got the 65ST60 for a little over $2000 + tax. It was right around $2200 out the door. 60 day return policy from Best Buy...at that price it was tough to pass on the ST60.

The ST60 has a nicer picture compared to the S64. To sum things up, the picture looks more natural and realistic compared to the S64. The blacks are blacker on the ST60 and the overall color appears to be deeper and richer. The ST60 seamlessly bridges the gap between the S64 and the VT60. Certaintly not as impressive as the VT, but it definately is a better picture compared to the S64. The funny thing about high end audio/video...to get to the next level of performance we are forced to pay a premium.

How'd you get a 60 day return policy from BB? Was it part of the price match deal? I've had mine for just over 2 months and last night (actually this morning) finally got around to running all the calibration patterns from the AVS HD709 disc - no way I'd have gotten that done in 15 days!

Yeah, I guess the ST60 and up are high end, although the S60/64 has the best PQ and already a premium compared to the competition (60" LG & Samsungs go for under $1000, hundreds less than the 65S64), so I don't consider the S60/64 low end at all. I don't understand how people will consider spending over $1000 for a TV and not even buy an A/V receiver and speakers (I've seen HDMI 5.1 versions go for as little as $200 new and I'm sure a quality pair of speakers could be found for less than $300 for a total of $500). I haven't priced speakers lately, but you could might even find a full 5.1 speaker system for $300. Relying on the built-in speakers instead of an A/V sound system is like the difference between SD and HD - no wait, more like b/w & color! Last night I was listening to a track on a jazz CD (Miles Davis) through my PC and a 4.1 PC sound system in my bedroom office and it sounded great - I didn't even bother playing it on my AV system in the same room (DVD player, old 5.1 JVC AVR and 2.1 speaker setup - B&W bookshelf speakers and Martin Logan sub). That's just an example of what an inexpensive PC sound system can do (I think it's Altec Lansing, but that setup could not have cost more than $200).
post #74 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for everyone's insights. My popping/ticking noises are most certainly not soft, and I'm not one to complain about things I can only hear when the set is muted and I'm right by the side of the tv. Rather, it makes the ticking/popping noise just about every 5-10 minutes which I can hear easily when seated 10-15 feet away. I believe costco has a 3 month return policy, so I think I'm still good should I decide to return it. If I did, it would be for a 50st60, but that's going to run me an additional 300 bucks. Not the end of the world by any means, but then I'd get into deciding whether I should just go really big w/ the ST and get a 60" to replace my 60gt50. Decisions.

But again, I thank everyone for their insights.
post #75 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

How'd you get a 60 day return policy from BB? Was it part of the price match deal? I've had mine for just over 2 months and last night (actually this morning) finally got around to running all the calibration patterns from the AVS HD709 disc - no way I'd have gotten that done in 15 days!

Yeah, I guess the ST60 and up are high end, although the S60/64 has the best PQ and already a premium compared to the competition (60" LG & Samsungs go for under $1000, hundreds less than the 65S64), so I don't consider the S60/64 low end at all. I don't understand how people will consider spending over $1000 for a TV and not even buy an A/V receiver and speakers (I've seen HDMI 5.1 versions go for as little as $200 new and I'm sure a quality pair of speakers could be found for less than $300 for a total of $500). I haven't priced speakers lately, but you could might even find a full 5.1 speaker system for $300. Relying on the built-in speakers instead of an A/V sound system is like the difference between SD and HD - no wait, more like b/w & color! Last night I was listening to a track on a jazz CD (Miles Davis) through my PC and a 4.1 PC sound system in my bedroom office and it sounded great - I didn't even bother playing it on my AV system in the same room (DVD player, old 5.1 JVC AVR and 2.1 speaker setup - B&W bookshelf speakers and Martin Logan sub). That's just an example of what an inexpensive PC sound system can do (I think it's Altec Lansing, but that setup could not have cost more than $200).

BB offers a 60 day return policy for Reward Zone Premier Silver members.

I'm convinced a better picture cannot be had at the S60/S64's price point.
post #76 of 105 Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

BB offers a 60 day return policy for Reward Zone Premier Silver members.

I'm convinced a better picture cannot be had at the S60/S64's price point.

Any popping with your ST60? I've heard it is less common with them.
post #77 of 105 Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick update on my S64's former popping problem:

All is well. No signs of magnetic disturbance from the magnet pad sound deadeners, no signs of overheating, the much muffled occasional 'tick' is only barely audible when the sound is totally turned off. It is a right quiet panel, now.

Should anyone else try this? The risks are yours alone, so only you can decide that. I would suggest reading the entire thread, consult your trusted resources and then decide.

For the record, I believe the magnet pads are by far the most effective single thing I tried & among the easiest. That surprises me since the idea seemed like a bad engineering joke to me at first and all it needed was a punchline. Go figure.

If popping is bothersome and you're nearing the end of your return period but can't find another 65PS64 for the swap... but ya' fell in love with the darned thing like I did... you might try the above for mild to moderate popping. But again, it's at your own risk.

I kept EVERYTHING I tried easily removable in case I ever have to call in a warranty repair claim.

IMHO, the things tried in this thread would NOT help at all with severe power board popping. That's swap, repair or return territory.
post #78 of 105 Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

The S60 that I purchased on 6/16, started out having those frequent popping sounds, but they have now stopped completely. I have not heard even one of them for the past three weeks, and I did nothing at all to try and muffle the pops.

I'll take your word for it just to say it nicely illustrates why Best Buy's two week return period is ridiculously stupid.
post #79 of 105 Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

09/07/2013 Update:

My S64 remains scary quiet. TOO quiet. biggrin.gif

Still thinking the magnet pads made the biggest difference. The rest was mostly fluff.

Still no poltergeists from the magnetic gauss 'er whatever and no signs of overheating. mm

edit - 09/19/2013 Update:

Everything is still nice and quiet. Still no ill effects from the magnet pads. mm
post #80 of 105 Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

10-14-2013 update:

Everything still AOK.

To this day, this panel continues to "wow" me.

mm out
post #81 of 105 Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Cool! Mine also has stopped the popping and the picture is so buttery smooth, glad I picked up the 42" before they were out of stock at every possible retailer.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #82 of 105 Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to update your first post with a warning right off the bat stating that this can increase buzzing, which it did for me and now I'm dealing with having to return a super cheap display model that I bought for my mom and can't afford to up the budget to get this quality at this price. Not to mention the fact that you can't find these anywhere anymore.

Of course you put the standard "do it at your own risk" at the end, but that goes without saying and is just to cover your own butt. It's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that messing with it has risks involved. We're here reading a thread dedicated to it and how to do it with least amount of risk and with the best success, so obviously the thread isn't for reading pleasure.

So now I'm out a tv and out some picture quality because I won't find a replacement at that price. Or I could pay more, but I can't afford it.

This is why people update their OP's in these kinds of threads. You edit them and add to them and put warning AT THE TOP, not mention it halfway through the thread.

Did you ever take the magnets off and see if it popped? It probably just stopped popping on it's own, just like others have said, therefore, not much point to the thread anyhow. More harm than good.
post #83 of 105 Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 AM

For the other folks who might know, how do you take the panel off of a Plasma since you aren't supposed to lay them down? I might take mine off and put in some sound absorption material to reduce this buzzing. Hopefully heat won't be too much of an issue covering the worst offending vents.
post #84 of 105 Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

For the other folks who might know, how do you take the panel off of a Plasma since you aren't supposed to lay them down? I might take mine off and put in some sound absorption material to reduce this buzzing. Hopefully heat won't be too much of an issue covering the worst offending vents.

Not a smart move - engineers who design these displays have a method to their designs for dissipating heat.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #85 of 105 Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Not a smart move - engineers who design these displays have a method to their designs for dissipating heat.

Absolutely, but some things are over-engineered and there's a performance envelope that's acceptable. Someone was going to try it and post results on temps, if it looks promising I'll consider it.

Also, I'm curious how anyone, including techs open these up without laying them down.

I saw on another forum there's insulating tape that you can put in the ferrite coils that has reduced buzzing on some models.
post #86 of 105 Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to update your first post with a warning right off the bat stating that this can increase buzzing

That request is unfair. If he isn't the engineer who designed this model and if the TV didn't increase any buzzing on his model with his experiments, how could he know to make that kind of warning?
Most of his issue, unless my memory fails was with popping, not buzzing. Make sure you don't use those two words interchangeably, it seems as you have.

post #87 of 105 Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

That request is unfair. If he isn't the engineer who designed this model and if the TV didn't increase any buzzing on his model with his experiments, how could he know to make that kind of warning?
Most of his issue, unless my memory fails was with popping, not buzzing. Make sure you don't use those two words interchangeably, it seems as you have.

Your memory did fail you. You also didn't seem to understand what I wrote. The issue was that one of the potential fixes for the popping causes increased buzzing by numerous accounts here and elsewhere. He even warns against it himself, so clearly agrees with me that people should be warned. The problem is that it's much further in the thread. I think it's a reasonable thing to update the OP with and generally people update their OP's in such a manner, rather than ask you to search out other posts, etc...
post #88 of 105 Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It is universally understood when one takes a screwdriver to a CE it is done at his own risk, I was simply defending him a bit as the tone of your first post lacked an appreciation for the length he went to in order to document his experiments for the good of the online community.

It is reasonable to update the OP. He has done so at my suggestion in the past.

post #89 of 105 Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

It is universally understood when one takes a screwdriver to a CE it is done at his own risk, I was simply defending him a bit as the tone of your first post lacked an appreciation for the length he went to in order to document his experiments for the good of the online community.

It is reasonable to update the OP. He has done so at my suggestion in the past.

I guess you've missed another part of my post. I addressed the fact that this is at your own risk, that's quite obvious.
post #90 of 105 Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You need to update your first post with a warning right off the bat stating that this can increase buzzing, which it did for me and now I'm dealing with having to return a super cheap display model that I bought for my mom and can't afford to up the budget to get this quality at this price. Not to mention the fact that you can't find these anywhere anymore.

Of course you put the standard "do it at your own risk" at the end, but that goes without saying and is just to cover your own butt. It's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that messing with it has risks involved. We're here reading a thread dedicated to it and how to do it with least amount of risk and with the best success, so obviously the thread isn't for reading pleasure.

So now I'm out a tv and out some picture quality because I won't find a replacement at that price. Or I could pay more, but I can't afford it.

This is why people update their OP's in these kinds of threads. You edit them and add to them and put warning AT THE TOP, not mention it halfway through the thread.

Did you ever take the magnets off and see if it popped? It probably just stopped popping on it's own, just like others have said, therefore, not much point to the thread anyhow. More harm than good.

Your comments are 'over the top'. Rudeness, insults, lies and attempting to assign false blame may have an undesirable effect regardless of a sprinkling of weak spin. Be warned, aman74, AVS moderators may or may not tolerate insulting comments. From what I've read, often they won't.

To skewer just one whopper: Page 1 has long since had the warning you rudely accuse as missing. What you demand has been in place since 5 months before your complaint. That's post 25 dated as last edited July 1, 2013. It is bold in its entirety, so only nobody could have missed it. The bolded portion of the text is quoted below. I found it in a 5 second scan of page ONE because it sticks out like a sore thumb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

More about RISKS and/or? OPPORTUNITIES:

... I personally recommend against doing anything to your TV unless it is a real pest. Minor popping and minor buzz should almost certainly be LEFT ALONE - because: There appears to be too much opportunity for making it (possibly permanently) WORSE. ...

Also see post 1, bullet 1. It's like I anticipated someone coming along unwilling to accept personal responsibility for anything. I'm not editing post 1 so people can see what you're playing at.

Cravit8: Yeah, I know. No good deed goes unpunished. It's usually pretty hard to push my buttons - even with a shamefully concentrated effort like we've just had the misfortune to witness. Fortunately, AVS has far more good and sincere people with acceptable manners like us than most forums. It appears to me that trolls aren't tolerated for long. That'll work. biggrin.gif
Cravit8 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page