How setup Samsung f8500 for pc input lag reduction - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fierce_gt
post #1 of 26 Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently got the pn64f8500 and love the picture, but do mind the lag. I've read that you can put in pc mode to cut in half by relabeling input to "PC". I think i'm doing it right, but can't find instructions how to do it, and how to verify.

Going by eye, it seems that it is not activating. fyi, if i bump joystick to side, screen starts moving almost after joystick at rest. When I put in game mode it seems slightly better.

Not sure how to put in PC mode, what i did, was press source button, then tools, then rename to PC. Now if I press source,tools, information, it usually says device type: hdmi1, name :PC and (1280x720 60 for ps3 and 1920x1080@60 for pc). (no special mode..... if in game mode, states it here)

Picture mode still in movie mode. no game mode active, all setting still changeable (which in game mode goes to standard and some settings greyed out)

So how to get this in PC mode and verify? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnh View Post

So I recently got the pn64f8500 and love the picture, but do mind the lag. I've read that you can put in pc mode to cut in half by relabeling input to "PC". I think i'm doing it right, but can't find instructions how to do it, and how to verify.

Plug your game into whichever HDMI port you want. Press the "Source" button, switch to the port the game is on. Then press the "Tools" button and "Edit name" change the port to "PC" and you're all set.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just to verify, like I said in my original post, I did do that, and none of the menu items are greyed out (unlike game mode), and still it's still in movie mode.... and, it seems like, in my" human estimation" of reaction time nothing changed (joystick bump/visual delay).... something I need to do to initialize it? I can setup my laptop with hdmi out with "time test" to verify if someone wants.
post #4 of 26 Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnh View Post

Just to verify, like I said in my original post, I did do that, and none of the menu items are greyed out (unlike game mode), and still it's still in movie mode.... and, it seems like, in my" human estimation" of reaction time nothing changed (joystick bump/visual delay).... something I need to do to initialize it? I can setup my laptop with hdmi out with "time test" to verify if someone wants.

any updates on this ? just got this TV and I want to make sure this works

thanks!
post #5 of 26 Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 26
Which HDMI input are you using on the TV to rename to PC?
post #6 of 26 Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM

I havent connect mine yet, but I was thinking of using the DVI input
post #7 of 26 Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 26
Well, it works for me.

I have a feeling you actually RENAMED it using the keyboard. All I did was select HDMI 2 (I didn't try the other ones but I assume they works fine), choose rename, the SCROLL down to PC. Do not EDIT your own name. I hope that helps.
post #8 of 26 Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Liked: 19
Seems you can't "change to pc" on HDMI PORT3. I was hoping I could run just one cable to my tv using the ARC function to my receiver
post #9 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
With some screwing around I figured out how to change mine to PC mode... Only problem now is the tv times out and goes into screen saver mode while using my xbox one.... Can be kind of annoying when it does this mid game... This happen to anybody else? Any way to stop it from doing that other than turning off screen saver?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
with fw 1203, I'm pretty sure this worked fine for me. but last week i noticed that it wasn't. i updated fw to 1204, and everything works 'normally' again for me.

that being said, last time i tested, the improvement from game mode to pc wasn't really measurable, let along noticeable. so unless game mode is close, pc mode probably won't 'fix' it.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
with fw 1203, I'm pretty sure this worked fine for me. but last week i noticed that it wasn't. i updated fw to 1204, and everything works 'normally' again for me.

that being said, last time i tested, the improvement from game mode to pc wasn't really measurable, let along noticeable. so unless game mode is close, pc mode probably won't 'fix' it.

To be honest I didnt notice a lag to begin with but I read PC mode was the best mode to play games on so I switched. Ill have to see which FW I am running.... I just updated a couple of weeks ago so I can imagine Im using the latest one....
post #12 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVBUFF11 View Post
To be honest I didnt notice a lag to begin with but I read PC mode was the best mode to play games on so I switched. Ill have to see which FW I am running.... I just updated a couple of weeks ago so I can imagine Im using the latest one....
my first and second round of testing showed about a 15-20ms decrease with pc mode compared to game mode.

within the past month, i tried again, took about 10 measures each, and the only thing that was different was that pc was very consistent, i think 8 of the 10 were 50ms, and i had one slightly higher and one slightly lower. with game mode, i only had 4 or 5 of the 10 measure 50ms, and had a range from 30-80ms for the other measures.

i don't know what caused this, but in the past i have had more issues with screen tearing in game mode than in pc mode, and I'm totally grasping, but I'm wondering if the processing is a little 'sketchier' in game mode than pc mode, and maybe I'm just capturing those 'hiccups'

post #13 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
my first and second round of testing showed about a 15-20ms decrease with pc mode compared to game mode.

within the past month, i tried again, took about 10 measures each, and the only thing that was different was that pc was very consistent, i think 8 of the 10 were 50ms, and i had one slightly higher and one slightly lower. with game mode, i only had 4 or 5 of the 10 measure 50ms, and had a range from 30-80ms for the other measures.

i don't know what caused this, but in the past i have had more issues with screen tearing in game mode than in pc mode, and I'm totally grasping, but I'm wondering if the processing is a little 'sketchier' in game mode than pc mode, and maybe I'm just capturing those 'hiccups'
I just tried again and it looks like it fixed itself.. Maybe a restart of the tv did it. Im assuming I was in PC mode anyway.. I find these modes kind of confusing... Sometimes I just see movie, standard, relaxed and dynamic and other times I see game mode.... That part of the tv setup I am still trying to master... I may have to reset back to factory and do everything over again just to be sure what the heck is set to what....

Another issue is with the IR remote.. I have my amp set up to toggle on and off with the tv but for some reason it wont toggle on but will always toggle off.... Strange since it accepts the "off" signal and not the "on"
post #14 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 PM

What is screen tearing? Could it be confused with a hiccup in the game?
post #15 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is screen tearing? Could it be confused with a hiccup in the game?
yeah, usually that's the case. for some reason it only seemed to happen in game mode

post #16 of 26 Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just tried again and it looks like it fixed itself.. Maybe a restart of the tv did it. Im assuming I was in PC mode anyway.. I find these modes kind of confusing... Sometimes I just see movie, standard, relaxed and dynamic and other times I see game mode.... That part of the tv setup I am still trying to master... I may have to reset back to factory and do everything over again just to be sure what the heck is set to what....

Another issue is with the IR remote.. I have my amp set up to toggle on and off with the tv but for some reason it wont toggle on but will always toggle off.... Strange since it accepts the "off" signal and not the "on"
there's different ir commands for 'on', 'off', and 'pwr toggle', perhaps the remote has the wrong one?

post #17 of 26 Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am confused to what you are actually doing. It is well known if you are playing on a console that the least amount of input lag is had by playing in GAME MODE+renaming the input you are connected to "PC". Are you comparing "PC MODE to "GAME MODE"?

Quote:

post #18 of 26 Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear View Post
I am confused to what you are actually doing. It is well known if you are playing on a console that the least amount of input lag is had by playing in GAME MODE+renaming the input you are connected to "PC". Are you comparing "PC MODE to "GAME MODE"?
well known?
if you have actually ever tried that, you'd find out that enabling game mode is NOT POSSIBLE when the input is renamed to PC...

what I am doing is comparing 'normal' settings, to 'game mode'(activated through the menu), to when the input is named 'pc'.

I have tested with other input names and confirmed that they do not make any difference. ie, naming the input 'game' and enabling 'game mode' through the menu is no different than simply enabling game mode through the menu. On the other hand, renaming the input to PC or DVI PC, does make a difference, and 'over-rides' the game mode setting(ie, it can't be turned on).

all my tests are 'relative', as I do not have a zero lag display to compare to.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 01-13-2015 at 11:04 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM

You are right, I haven't tried it yet. I only have adjusted the settings and named the input "PC". I was going off what I have been reading. So am I better off just renaming the input over turning to "Game Mode"?

Quote:
well known?
if you have actually ever tried that, you'd find out that enabling game mode is NOT POSSIBLE when the input is renamed to PC...

what I am doing is comparing 'normal' settings, to 'game mode'(activated through the menu), to when the input is named 'pc'.

I have tested with other input names and confirmed that they do not make any difference. ie, naming the input 'game' and enabling 'game mode' through the menu is no different than simply enabling game mode through the menu. On the other hand, renaming the input to PC or DVI PC, does make a difference, and 'over-rides' the game mode setting(ie, it can't be turned on).

all my tests are 'relative', as I do not have a zero lag display to compare to.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnh View Post

Going by eye, it seems that it is not activating. fyi, if i bump joystick to side, screen starts moving almost after joystick at rest. When I put in game mode it seems slightly better............................................ ..................................s
If you can afford a 64F8500 and gaming input lag is important to you then just buy a tester (there cheap) to get the results of each mode for yourself.

Leobodnar Input Lag Tester 1080p

"I want it louder,.. more power,.. I'm gonna rock ya till it strikes the hour!"
post #21 of 26 Old 01-13-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are right, I haven't tried it yet. I only have adjusted the settings and named the input "PC". I was going off what I have been reading. So am I better off just renaming the input over turning to "Game Mode"?
i have decided to simply rename HDMI2 as "PC" and use that. it's been consistently good for me, and i'm not particularly worried about small nuances in PQ when gaming as much as i am the 'overall experience' which includes low input lag, and no screen tearing.

if i had to pick one mode to use for all content though, i would absolutely go with game mode. it's 'good enough' in terms of lag, and i've only had very rare cases(repeatable though) of screen tearing, and the image quality is noticeable better than PC when watching movies.

the truth is, i'm very tempted to go back to using game mode, because of my most recent results, and the fact i can't actually noticed any difference in lag between game mode and pc mode while playing. i just need to break out the meter and do a quick calibration on it before i do. i'm still a little worried about screen tearing. it's not supposed to be related, but for some reason i've only ever experienced it when in game mode. i notice it playing nhl14 on my xbox360. it'll happen 2-3times a game. it has never happened with game mode turned off. so i'll probably double check that before wasting time doing a calibration.

sorry that's not a clear answer. i really think either game mode or pc mode are excellent options.
Blue Rain likes this.

post #22 of 26 Old 01-14-2015, 05:53 AM

TVBUFF, have you played the Xbox One with the input named Game? I did play on the 8500 for the first time last night with the input named that. I really didn't notice lag but a picture not looking so hot. I'm playing Destiny. Have you done anything to get a better picture while gaming?

Quote:
With some screwing around I figured out how to change mine to PC mode... Only problem now is the tv times out and goes into screen saver mode while using my xbox one.... Can be kind of annoying when it does this mid game... This happen to anybody else? Any way to stop it from doing that other than turning off screen saver?
post #23 of 26 Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
TVBUFF, have you played the Xbox One with the input named Game? I did play on the 8500 for the first time last night with the input named that. I really didn't notice lag but a picture not looking so hot. I'm playing Destiny. Have you done anything to get a better picture while gaming?
Renaming the input to "game" doesn't do anything. You need to either rename it to PC or turn "game mode" on in the menu.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post
Renaming the input to "game" doesn't do anything. You need to either rename it to PC or turn "game mode" on in the menu.
Thanks!
post #25 of 26 Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
how is the picture quality in pc mode?
post #26 of 26 Unread Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zterm View Post
how is the picture quality in pc mode?
you lose controls for color, 10pt white balance, and black optimizer

if you aren't using those controls, it's actually not much of a difference, but if you're comparing to a calibrated tv, it's more noticeable.

I'd summed it up like this...

pre-calibration
'movie' mode = 8/10
game mode = 7.5/10
pc mode = 7/10

after calibration
movie mode = 9.8/10
game mode = 9/10
pc mode = 7.5/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page