Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Might be a failed power supply,connection ,relay or logic chip. Try leaving it unplugged for a bit if you have not done that yet to allow the logic moduale to re boot. If that doesn't fix it or it re occurs you might be able to exchange for another one if you have that option .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 19 Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Is it still under warranty? Then let the professionals from Panasonic handle it. A couple kilo-buck TV is not something to second guess on.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just happened to me too. You'll have to call their technical support (the automated system is a PITA) but once you get through and jump through a couple of hoops, worst-case scenario they'll schedule a technician to come by and take a look at your set. My appt is for the 9th, so fingers crossed!
post #5 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
excellent advise LMAO when I read your sig biggrin.gif

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Zeus View Post

Just happened to me too. You'll have to call their technical support (the automated system is a PITA) but once you get through and jump through a couple of hoops, worst-case scenario they'll schedule a technician to come by and take a look at your set. My appt is for the 9th, so fingers crossed!
How long have you had your st60? Did anything particular happen with yours such as power surge or power went off, or did it just not want to turn on?

PSN: RetroGiant
post #7 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

How long have you had your st60? Did anything particular happen with yours such as power surge or power went off, or did it just not want to turn on?

I've had my TV since mid-April, and it started exhibiting odd behavior a couple of weeks ago. The shutting down and blinking red light would happen a few times whenever I'd turn the set of the first time that day, then it would stay on after unplugging and resetting it once or twice. After about a week or so of this dysfunctional weirdness, it just stopped working altogether. i don't think there was a power surge, but the weather in Chicago has been really manic during May and June (no power outages though). My surge protector and other electronics seem to be working well though, and so I didn't assume that the origin of the problem was to be found there. I suppose I won't know anything solid before my appointment with the Panasonic tech.

I will say, that more, cleaner power seemed to do the trick for a few days. For instance, if I plugged the set directly into the wall, I had better luck. Then, I plugged the set into a surge protector not loaded with any other plugs and moved all my other components to the other surge protector so I could actually watch some content on the set. That last gasp only lasted a day or so, because the TV stopped working completely after that.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
From a technical perspective, it's very, very unlikely the surge protector has anything to do with getting the set to power on. The surge protector's job is to clamp excessive voltages. With nominal line voltage it should act like a piece of wire having no effect at all.

Recently, the main boards in these TVs have started failing a lot more than usual. This is likely due to the removal of lead from the processor solder, due to environmental legislation. This is one possible cause of the fault, especially as it is affecting multiple people. Around 5 years ago, main processing board failures were virtually unheard of.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

From a technical perspective, it's very, very unlikely the surge protector has anything to do with getting the set to power on. The surge protector's job is to clamp excessive voltages. With nominal line voltage it should act like a piece of wire having no effect at all.

Recently, the main boards in these TVs have started failing a lot more than usual. This is likely due to the removal of lead from the processor solder, due to environmental legislation. This is one possible cause of the fault, especially as it is affecting multiple people. Around 5 years ago, main processing board failures were virtually unheard of.

Yeah, I figured. But I was going through a checklist of every possible sketchy thing I did over the past few weeks, just so I don't repeat what has happened and have to fix the set, again. This couldn't have come at a worse time (as I'm completely rearranging and upgrading my home theater set-up). Thanks for the input though. Glad to know it was clearly the set's fault. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

thanks for the info, do you know if the more expensive models of this line like the VT series are having this failure problem too?
post #11 of 19 Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentk View Post

thanks for the info, do you know if the more expensive models of this line like the VT series are having this failure problem too?

All Panasonic plasmas nowadays use the same lead free solder on processors, as does every other consumer electronics manufacturer.

Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio (especially so) etc all have this problem. Lead really is necessary in solder for these processors, as they are packing so much into such a small package. The heat produced by the processor makes the solder brittle and cracks form, creating disconnects between the processor and the rest of the main board, leading to various faults. Sometimes adding cooling helps, but it usually just delays the problem. Lead makes the solder a lot more resilient to cracking -- I don't think I've ever heard of failures on processors using lead (BGA type devices have been available for past 20 years and lead-free only for last 8 to 10 years or so.)

It also was the cause for the Xbox 360 red ring of death / PS3 yellow light of death.
trentk and ChadThunder like this.
post #12 of 19 Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for the response guys. I returned the set for a new one. I hope its not a lemon! thats some expensive lemonade!
post #13 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 AM

Liked: 10
Hi... I just found this thread because my p50st60 just stopped turning on. Is the only solution to replace the set? (That would be bad, since nobody has it in stock anymore...)

I noticed yesterday morning that I had to hit the On switch 3 or 4 times for the TV to turn on. There was not blinking light, but it seemed there was a severe lag (it actually clicked on and off before coming back on... 3 clicks). I have not had any issues with the set since I bought it at the beginning of 2014.

Now, it simply won't turn on. Cable is in place, other components on same surge protector work fine, remote battery is good... etc.

Any suggestions?
post #14 of 19 Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Panasonic began outsourcing PCB manufacture since late 2012 and using cheaper memory and processors, I wonder what will be the impact of that for long term reliability? also since 2011 only the VT and pro series had heatsinks all around and extra power filtering and fans, really sad how they become so desperate to be profitable and still lose in this backwards market

"follow the money"
post #15 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat. Mine will no longer turn on and it has less than 600 hours on it and it's 3 months out of warranty. Lesson learned.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Mine will no longer turn on and it has less than 600 hours on it and it's 3 months out of warranty. Lesson learned.
Did you happen to buy your TV using a good credit card that adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty? If so, they'll pay the repair bill during year two.

Even though i bought my 55ST60 with such a card and also bought a 5-year Square Trade extended warranty ($99 @ Costco), my biggest fear is that the TV will someday stop working and be deemed unrepairable, forcing me to replace it with an LCD TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #17 of 19 Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Yeah, I had the extra year with discover card. There are almost 1300 people that I have heard of that are stuck with blinking error codes or that will not turn on and many of them are in year 2. The way it was explained to me from the tech that was going to come out is that since Panasonic's Plasma division is eol, if the repair is a lot of money, the tech will in essence "total the tv" and you will be out of luck. Without even knowing what the problem was, I was up to $500 in repairs over the phone because the parts aren't as common or being produced and Panasonic is a blood sucking leech of a company. The tech flat out told me that if it would have been a lcd tv, even out of warranty a few months, Panasonic would have worked with me. Since it's a plasma, they don't give two squirts.
Next time, I will live with the lower quality lcd/led set with a long warranty and it sure as heck won't be a Panasonic.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-16-2014, 08:26 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Yeah, I had the extra year with discover card. There are almost 1300 people that I have heard of that are stuck with blinking error codes or that will not turn on and many of them are in year 2.
Where in the world did you find ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED people with blinking error codes? I'd really like to see that data.

Quote:
The way it was explained to me from the tech that was going to come out is that since Panasonic's Plasma division is eol, if the repair is a lot of money, the tech will in essence "total the tv" and you will be out of luck. Without even knowing what the problem was, I was up to $500 in repairs over the phone because the parts aren't as common or being produced and Panasonic is a blood sucking leech of a company. The tech flat out told me that if it would have been a lcd tv, even out of warranty a few months, Panasonic would have worked with me. Since it's a plasma, they don't give two squirts.
Next time, I will live with the lower quality lcd/led set with a long warranty and it sure as heck won't be a Panasonic.
Are you dealing with an authorized Panasonic repair center that actually knows how to diagnose and repair a Panasonic Plasma TV? If not, find one because they're actually more repairable than the Samsungs or LGs. There is no way a repair shop can diagnose the TV over the phone or even give you a rough idea of what the cost will be to repair. It could be a simple $60 board for all you know. The only way to know for sure is to have a competent technician do a proper troubleshooting procedure to test the boards in the correct order to identify the actual board (or component) that has failed, or worst case if it's an electronic component that is integral to the plasma panel module in which case you probably are out of luck since the supply of spare panels usually dries up fast. Several years ago when flat panel TVs were $3,000 to $6,000 it was economical for the manufacturer to spend $1200 to replace a bad panel under warranty, but in recent years as TVs got cheaper and cheaper it was more economical to just replace the TV under warranty as it was cheaper than paying the repair center for parts and labor to fix the dead TV. This has been the case with all the manufacturers.

The fact that Panasonic no longer makes Plasmas has nothing to do with parts availability - historically the TV manufacturers (not just Panasonic but also Samsung, LG, Sony, etc) make a limited number of spare boards and panels while the TV is in production but that supply starts to driy up within a year or two. This has been going on for many years. However there are companies that repair boards and some also sell refurbished boards so there's no reason (aside from laziness, apathy, or lack of knowledge) that a repair shop can't identify the bad board or component, and if it's a replaceable board go buy a new or refurbished one or send your dead board out to be repaired - even on a ten year old TV.

Here are three companies that should be able to provide or repair a board:

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/

http://www.tristatemodule.com/c-181-panasonic.aspx

http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.ne...panasonic.aspx

-------

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #19 of 19 Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 AM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Panas...52918558086845
( I realize that just "liking" the page does not denote every person with the exact same issue but from various forms and the data on that facebook page, I am sure there are that many people with those issues)

That's one out of several pages I found with people complaining. The tech was the only authorized Panasonic repair man close to my area. He said that it would be around $150 just to come out because it is considered a "2 man tv" He then said something about a core charge that was $220 that Panasonic does not reimburse. I'm not sure what that was for but he said if it is a ribbon connector that originally was going out, it was attached to the panel itself and although he has seen a few soldered, it is under some heat sink thing and essentially part of the panel itself and would be too much to replace. From what I described, he said he would first have to fix one board (power board I think) to see what else was wrong with it. At that point I was around $500 and I asked him his opinion and he said "chalk it up to a loss and go to costgo and buy a 70" sharp with a 5 year warranty"
I called Panasonic probably 7 times total and I didn't get very far so now I am selling it for parts or repair on craigslist. If I'm lucky, I'll make $100 back.

Last edited by agent8; 07-16-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread