Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Might be a failed power supply,connection ,relay or logic chip. Try leaving it unplugged for a bit if you have not done that yet to allow the logic moduale to re boot. If that doesn't fix it or it re occurs you might be able to exchange for another one if you have that option .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #3 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Is it still under warranty? Then let the professionals from Panasonic handle it. A couple kilo-buck TV is not something to second guess on.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just happened to me too. You'll have to call their technical support (the automated system is a PITA) but once you get through and jump through a couple of hoops, worst-case scenario they'll schedule a technician to come by and take a look at your set. My appt is for the 9th, so fingers crossed!
post #5 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 270
excellent advise LMAO when I read your sig biggrin.gif

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #6 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Zeus View Post

Just happened to me too. You'll have to call their technical support (the automated system is a PITA) but once you get through and jump through a couple of hoops, worst-case scenario they'll schedule a technician to come by and take a look at your set. My appt is for the 9th, so fingers crossed!
How long have you had your st60? Did anything particular happen with yours such as power surge or power went off, or did it just not want to turn on?
post #7 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

How long have you had your st60? Did anything particular happen with yours such as power surge or power went off, or did it just not want to turn on?

I've had my TV since mid-April, and it started exhibiting odd behavior a couple of weeks ago. The shutting down and blinking red light would happen a few times whenever I'd turn the set of the first time that day, then it would stay on after unplugging and resetting it once or twice. After about a week or so of this dysfunctional weirdness, it just stopped working altogether. i don't think there was a power surge, but the weather in Chicago has been really manic during May and June (no power outages though). My surge protector and other electronics seem to be working well though, and so I didn't assume that the origin of the problem was to be found there. I suppose I won't know anything solid before my appointment with the Panasonic tech.

I will say, that more, cleaner power seemed to do the trick for a few days. For instance, if I plugged the set directly into the wall, I had better luck. Then, I plugged the set into a surge protector not loaded with any other plugs and moved all my other components to the other surge protector so I could actually watch some content on the set. That last gasp only lasted a day or so, because the TV stopped working completely after that.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
From a technical perspective, it's very, very unlikely the surge protector has anything to do with getting the set to power on. The surge protector's job is to clamp excessive voltages. With nominal line voltage it should act like a piece of wire having no effect at all.

Recently, the main boards in these TVs have started failing a lot more than usual. This is likely due to the removal of lead from the processor solder, due to environmental legislation. This is one possible cause of the fault, especially as it is affecting multiple people. Around 5 years ago, main processing board failures were virtually unheard of.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

From a technical perspective, it's very, very unlikely the surge protector has anything to do with getting the set to power on. The surge protector's job is to clamp excessive voltages. With nominal line voltage it should act like a piece of wire having no effect at all.

Recently, the main boards in these TVs have started failing a lot more than usual. This is likely due to the removal of lead from the processor solder, due to environmental legislation. This is one possible cause of the fault, especially as it is affecting multiple people. Around 5 years ago, main processing board failures were virtually unheard of.

Yeah, I figured. But I was going through a checklist of every possible sketchy thing I did over the past few weeks, just so I don't repeat what has happened and have to fix the set, again. This couldn't have come at a worse time (as I'm completely rearranging and upgrading my home theater set-up). Thanks for the input though. Glad to know it was clearly the set's fault. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

thanks for the info, do you know if the more expensive models of this line like the VT series are having this failure problem too?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentk View Post

thanks for the info, do you know if the more expensive models of this line like the VT series are having this failure problem too?

All Panasonic plasmas nowadays use the same lead free solder on processors, as does every other consumer electronics manufacturer.

Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio (especially so) etc all have this problem. Lead really is necessary in solder for these processors, as they are packing so much into such a small package. The heat produced by the processor makes the solder brittle and cracks form, creating disconnects between the processor and the rest of the main board, leading to various faults. Sometimes adding cooling helps, but it usually just delays the problem. Lead makes the solder a lot more resilient to cracking -- I don't think I've ever heard of failures on processors using lead (BGA type devices have been available for past 20 years and lead-free only for last 8 to 10 years or so.)

It also was the cause for the Xbox 360 red ring of death / PS3 yellow light of death.
trentk and ChadThunder like this.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for the response guys. I returned the set for a new one. I hope its not a lemon! thats some expensive lemonade!
post #13 of 14 Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Liked: 10
Hi... I just found this thread because my p50st60 just stopped turning on. Is the only solution to replace the set? (That would be bad, since nobody has it in stock anymore...)

I noticed yesterday morning that I had to hit the On switch 3 or 4 times for the TV to turn on. There was not blinking light, but it seemed there was a severe lag (it actually clicked on and off before coming back on... 3 clicks). I have not had any issues with the set since I bought it at the beginning of 2014.

Now, it simply won't turn on. Cable is in place, other components on same surge protector work fine, remote battery is good... etc.

Any suggestions?
post #14 of 14 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post
Panasonic began outsourcing PCB manufacture since late 2012 and using cheaper memory and processors, I wonder what will be the impact of that for long term reliability? also since 2011 only the VT and pro series had heatsinks all around and extra power filtering and fans, really sad how they become so desperate to be profitable and still lose in this backwards market

"follow the money"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page