Might sell my Pio Kuro 151FD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
oppopioneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi...

I'm thinking of selling my Pioneer Elite Kuro 151FD 60" inch plasma.

I bought it around end of 2010/Jan 2011 from Natural Sound:
http://www.natural-sound.com/

It's excellent condition, not used often. Sometimes I'll go almost a month without turning it on. It's not an everyday tv. Rarely do I ever watch letterbox format. It's been hooked up to a SurgeX XF2 flatpak surge protector. No scratches, no nothing.

What can I get for it on Amazon, ebay, craigslist and on these forum websites?
oppopioneer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Newbie
 
THESTYLECOUNCIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Oppopioneer: Can I take this unit for $1,000.00? Kindly send positive nod to: CULTURECLUB68@YAHOO.COM. Thanks, WILLIAM....
THESTYLECOUNCIL is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think these days they are selling for somewheres between $1000-2000

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I will pay you $1050.00 for your PDP & I will pick it up from your location.
9179mhb is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Hi...

I'm thinking of selling my Pioneer Elite Kuro 151FD 60" inch plasma.

I bought it around end of 2010/Jan 2011 from Natural Sound:
http://www.natural-sound.com/

It's excellent condition, not used often. Sometimes I'll go almost a month without turning it on. It's not an everyday tv. Rarely do I ever watch letterbox format. It's been hooked up to a SurgeX XF2 flatpak surge protector. No scratches, no nothing.

What can I get for it on Amazon, ebay, craigslist and on these forum websites?

Why?
Auditor55 is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Member
 
newb2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think $1800-$2300 based on condition and calibration is an acceptable price. I bought 151FD for $2K locally 3 months ago.

$1K eek.gif- I will buy another one and keep that as back up tongue.gif

For the used price, they are better value than latest plasmas both in terms of non-3D performance and cheaper $$.
newb2012 is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
But not as big and typically have no warranties. wink.gif I had to let a 111FD go for $900 (the cash was badly needed).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

I think $1800-$2300 based on condition and calibration is an acceptable price. I bought 151FD for $2K locally 3 months ago.

$1K eek.gif- I will buy another one and keep that as back up tongue.gif

For the used price, they are better value than latest plasmas both in terms of non-3D performance and cheaper $$.

They're comming down quite a bit in price, ive seen a few on ebay go for around ~1300 bucks which is why I said between 1-2k

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
oppopioneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought it at around $6000. I'll sell it for $3000.
oppopioneer is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
curly21029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

I bought it at around $6000. I'll sell it for $3000.

Absolutely reasonable. If you're out west, you'll likely find a buyer for that much. (that is, if you choose to sell it at all)
curly21029 is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
D_M
Member
 
D_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Based on reviews, it seems like the KURO difference only presents itself when the Tvs are side by side or we have screen captures to look at. A new ZT60 is $3500 and Urga screen grabs are showing that the ST is producing a great picture for the money. I highly doubt that someone with $3000 to spend will buy a used KURO.
D_M is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Straybeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Based on reviews, it seems like the KURO difference only presents itself when the Tvs are side by side or we have screen captures to look at. A new ZT60 is $3500 and Urga screen grabs are showing that the ST is producing a great picture for the money. I highly doubt that someone with $3000 to spend will buy a used KURO.

Plus it has no internet (that matters to a lot of us) and on Amazon used 60 inch Kuro's are going for $1599.
Straybeat is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
curly21029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat View Post

Plus it has no internet (that matters to a lot of us) and on Amazon used 60 inch Kuro's are going for $1599.

Look again. That's for an old pre-Kuro 1540HD. Used 151s are listed for an outrageous $6K on Amazon! eek.gif

As for not being able to tell the difference between a current Panasonic and a 9th generation Pioneer panel outside of a side-by-side comparison, I can only speak for my own eyes. To me, there's a sense of "smoothness" to the overall picture of the Panasonics that is actually beneficial for standard def/low-fidelity transfers. However, I do feel that it hinders well-produced HD content. This is instantaneously noticeable to me along with the difference in driving methodology. The dithering presented by Panasonics is more noticeable to me at a comfortable viewing distance than the rigid "noisy" picture of the Pioneers while motion handling exhibits a persistent "stutter" on the Panasonics that fatigues my eyes. (yes, even on the ZT/VT... and no, this isn't with any interpolation activated and has been my experience with Panasonic's product line for years)

Make no mistake: the ZT/VT is absolutely the cream of the crop this year. (along with the F8500; followed closely by the ST60) Excellent panels all and -- from reading these forums -- I get the feeling that my observations probably aren't the norm, but they are what they are.
curly21029 is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto area, Canada
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^ New-in-box 60" Kuro ELITEs typically sell in the $10k range here. Yes, there rarely are some. If it sounds high, the last ones were going for $8k, full list price here at the very end.
cfraser is online now  
post #15 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Member
 
dvd2blu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Based on reviews, it seems like the KURO difference only presents itself when the Tvs are side by side or we have screen captures to look at. A new ZT60 is $3500 and Urga screen grabs are showing that the ST is producing a great picture for the money. I highly doubt that someone with $3000 to spend will buy a used KURO.

Yeah, $3000 without a warranty is a bit tough to swallow. But that's just me.
dvd2blu is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Member
 
thelwig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am selling mine at $2,100.

A lot of it depends on what area you are in.
thelwig14 is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Urga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M View Post

Based on reviews, it seems like the KURO difference only presents itself when the Tvs are side by side or we have screen captures to look at. A new ZT60 is $3500 and Urga screen grabs are showing that the ST is producing a great picture for the money. I highly doubt that someone with $3000 to spend will buy a used KURO.
Yes, ST60 delivers a great picture, but Kuro is the master ... wink.gif

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

Urga is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 AM
 
somelogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know all about his because of how long I have looked on ebay for the 111, 101, and 151. Something made the prices people are willing to pay go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down in only the past 2 months. A lot of 111s were going for $1700-$2000 and the average 151 seemed to go for $3000. So no matter how hard it is for someone to believe someone with $3k would buy a used elite, it was happening until now. SO my guess is the zt60 is the ONLY cause of the prices going way down. I want a new 111 or 151 if I could get much for mine, where I could get one working properly, but I guess not much chance of that when the value went down AND it ahs a problem.
somelogin is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14 View Post

I am selling mine at $2,100.

A lot of it depends on what area you are in.[/quote

You should sell it for $1200. Trying to sell a used plasma with no warranty for 3k is a reach.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Member
 
thelwig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14 View Post

I am selling mine at $2,100.

A lot of it depends on what area you are in.[/quote

You should sell it for $1200. Trying to sell a used plasma with no warranty for 3k is a reach.

Terrible advice. I am not in an audiophile area and I routinely get offers for $1,800.

Should never sell a 151 Elite for $1,200.
thelwig14 is offline  
post #21 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM
 
somelogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As I said, the GOING rate was $3k on ebay, with now arranties as of a couple months ago.
somelogin is offline  
post #22 of 34 Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
YOTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have received a few offers over the last year for my 6020 in the neighborhood of $2k. There is a guy I work with that wants my set and is offering $1900 for it. I have always been somewhat tempted because it's over 3 years old, without a warranty, and the Panasonic's are at least close now compared to the Kuro. I even have the red tint issue (which he knows about) and he still wants it. So I think at least $2k for an Elite model, maybe a few hundred more. It probably depends on the area though.
YOTR is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly21029 View Post


As for not being able to tell the difference between a current Panasonic and a 9th generation Pioneer panel outside of a side-by-side comparison, I can only speak for my own eyes. To me, there's a sense of "smoothness" to the overall picture of the Panasonics that is actually beneficial for standard def/low-fidelity transfers. However, I do feel that it hinders well-produced HD content. This is instantaneously noticeable to me along with the difference in driving methodology. The dithering presented by Panasonics is more noticeable to me at a comfortable viewing distance than the rigid "noisy" picture of the Pioneers while motion handling exhibits a persistent "stutter" on the Panasonics that fatigues my eyes. (yes, even on the ZT/VT... and no, this isn't with any interpolation activated and has been my experience with Panasonic's product line for years)

You don't have to live with the issues you are seeing if you have a VT60 (don't know about the ST60). The issues you have are very easily fixed by adjusting your Contrast and Sharpness settings (lowering). Also turn off or lower all picture enhancements.

I sold my 9G 141 Kuro for $1000 about a year ago. My 141 had the Blue issue and that's why I sold it, plus I wanted 3D.

So what is the point of buying a Used 60" 151 9G Kuro for anywhere near $2000, when for about $700 + tax more you can get a brand new Panasonic 65VT60 without the Red or Blue tint issues.
Plus you don't have to pick up (about 130 lbs) the 151 Kuro, you get the 65" VT60 delivered. Have at-least a 15 day window you can get your money back, full 1 year warranty, bigger screen size, better PQ, internet streaming/surfing, great 3D PQ with two sets of 3D glasses, less problem with IR and the list goes on.

If your budget is under $2000 then I would suggest you take a very close look at the Panasonic 60"VT60 (same size as the Kuro 151), or even the 65ST60. In the case of the 9G Kuro or the VT/ST 60 series, screen size does make a nice difference, bigger is better,

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Member
 
newb2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I respectfully disagree with you SS- To my eyes I found 151 (and 141) smoother and overall *much* better pic than Panny VT50s. Having seen a calibrated 500M- that would be my obvious choice for 50" TV set even today (I sold mine when I wanted bigger set and moved to larger house). My caveat applies to dark room.

Of course you know what they say about opinions tongue.gif
newb2012 is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 01:42 AM
PCD
Member
 
PCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've always found that something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay for it smile.gif

Evil Sysadmin

PCD is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
-Hitman-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I sold my 9G 141 Kuro for $1000 about a year ago. My 141 had the Blue issue and that's why I sold it, plus I wanted 3D.

ss, what's the blue issue you mention, not heard of that before.
-Hitman- is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

I respectfully disagree with you SS- To my eyes I found 151 (and 141) smoother and overall *much* better pic than Panny VT50s. Having seen a calibrated 500M- that would be my obvious choice for 50" TV set even today (I sold mine when I wanted bigger set and moved to larger house). My caveat applies to dark room.

Of course you know what they say about opinions tongue.gif
Sally wasn't comparing the Kuro to the VT50, however. The performance gap has been significantly narrowed.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

I respectfully disagree with you SS- To my eyes I found 151 (and 141) smoother and overall *much* better pic than Panny VT50s. Having seen a calibrated 500M- that would be my obvious choice for 50" TV set even today (I sold mine when I wanted bigger set and moved to larger house). My caveat applies to dark room.

Of course you know what they say about opinions tongue.gif

As was posted I am talking about the VT60, not the VT50 that I also had.

My post is based on calibrated reading from my I1Pro and my K10-A meters using Calman and Lightspace calibration software. So yes to some degree its a opinion but a educated one, based on my actual TV's in my man cave using only Pro hardware and software to come to my conclusions
Not "I have seen a 500-M" and then base a opinion .

So please keep you tongue in your mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

ss, what's the blue issue you mention, not heard of that before.

I think the Blue Issue was more on the earlier 9G Kuro's and the replaced by the Red issue on the later build models. If you click on my link at the bottom of my sig you will see how far I had to adjust Blue to bring down the Blue issue, but as time went by I found I had to keep adjusting to a point that I pushed Blue as far as the limitations on my 141 would let me before the Blue adjustment had no better affect. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sally wasn't comparing to the Kuro to the VT50, however. The performance gap has been significantly narrowed.

Yes you are correct.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
-Hitman-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I think the Blue Issue was more on the earlier 9G Kuro's and the replaced by the Red issue on the later build models. If you click on my link at the bottom of my sig you will see how far I had to adjust Blue to bring down the Blue issue, but as time went by I found I had to keep adjusting to a point that I pushed Blue as far as the limitations on my 141 would let me before the Blue adjustment had no better affect. .
ss

Thanks ss, I do remember you from the Controlcal forums and I've just had a look over there at your calibration reports.

First thing that I see is you had an earlier +green panel due to the increases you had to make with red and blue, however the thing that most stands out is the low contrast settings you had chosen (although your reports I can find are for ISF night only), which is quite dim overall and will be contributing to the blue issue you experienced, I am well into the 30's on mine giving 38fl and 48fl for night/day (Krp-600m).

Did you calibrate with an i1pro, as you would have probably been at it's limitations, with regards to blue and low contrast output.

All G9's did have higher blue issue due to the PDP filter properties but well below perceivable level.
-Hitman- is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

Thanks ss, I do remember you from the Controlcal forums and I've just had a look over there at your calibration reports.

First thing that I see is you had an earlier +green panel due to the increases you had to make with red and blue, however the thing that most stands out is the low contrast settings you had chosen (although your reports I can find are for ISF night only), which is quite dim overall and will be contributing to the blue issue you experienced, I am well into the 30's on mine giving 38fl and 48fl for night/day (Krp-600m).

Did you calibrate with an i1pro, as you would have probably been at it's limitations, with regards to blue and low contrast output.

All G9's did have higher blue issue due to the PDP filter properties but well below perceivable level.

Yes I did use the I1pro.

I don't really think the I1pro with regards to the Blue issue had much to do with any of that. Where the I1pro runs short is from 10 to 30, so yes the Klein would have been better.
In the low light readings on the 141 you could never depend on the I1pro so you had to also use your eyes and know what to look for when setting low light readings.
I can't compare to the KRP 600, and that's why I said the earlier build models, the krp I think was a later build model.

As far as using night settings, is that my man cave has light control plus I sit about 8' from the screen, so higher contrast would give eye strain.

Yes I was a controlcal beta tester back in the 8G early Kuro days..

ss.
sillysally is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off