No video on Sony plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just joined the forum and if this isn't the right place to start this thread, please steer me in the right direction.

Have a 2001 Sony PFM-42B1 flat screen monitor. Its plasma display panel is set to 1024 x 1024. Input: RGB/YUV D-sub 15 pin. The original Direct TV Sony receiver is being obsolesced. Direct TV has replaced it. Connecting with an HDMI/VGA adapter fails to produce video. Assuming no problem with the cube/adapter is there any reason why it should not produce video? Thanks. Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe you are trying to send a digital signal to the input? Check if you an send a analog signal. I Hope it will solve the problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-10-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I think you are right. I didn't realize that the 15 pin input was analog. So my next thing to try is the component analog feed from the box to the 15 pin. Thanks. BTW, I'm by no means expert in this stuff and am muddling my way through and learning as I go. Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
IF your hdmi to vga adapter isn't a "full power electronic thingy", then it isn't going to work.... those "cheap cable adapters" that are sold are for "special use" systems where a vga signal is being sent thru the hdmi cable (ie. analog). There are "real" hdmi to adapter adapter boxes out there if you only have an hdmi source output. In your case, a component to vga cable adapter is all you need as that is basically what the vga is...three "components" inside one connector... it will work fine.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 125
One other thing to be aware is that newer satellite boxes produce encrypted HDMI because of the movie channels, which is "not allowed" to be decrypted into analog signals. It is decryptable using products such as HDfury but using those would make you a very naughty person that the HDMI licensing people would tut-tut at. (HDMI includes a pointless encryption layer, which is and has easily been broken, but it still persists, adding extra cost to TVs, obsoleting DVI-only TVs and limiting options for people using Linux etc.)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page