From 23 yr old tv to 42"" 1080 S60, know nothing please help with config? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my old tv but it was starting to show some issues and I couldn't find anyone who would work on it. I think I'd have kept it for ever.
Got tired of researching and trying to figure it all out, I already knew that I didn't really like new tvs. Saw a positive review for this and
just threw up my hands and ordered off an amazon 2nd part seller (no one else has it right now).

So I could really use some help configuring it.

1) Well for one thing I read people talking about a burn in period?
I hooked this up Friday (now Sunday) and picked some standard configure or something from the basic start up. Should be doing something different?

2) My biggest issue with new tvs is that they are too dark...... Night scenes, everything just disappears. Some shows and movies are worse than others. Even in datome shots when the light looks normal, I notice that half the face is bright and half the face is barely discernable. Or just like right now, somebody hiding something in a car trunk during a day shot, details in the trunk - there are none.
In discussions with people about me hanging on to my old tv people have assured me that its just a matter of configuration. I'm not sure I believe it, I think its the technology, but hopefully configuration will improve things. not

Other than that I don't even know what I don't know......................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I think burn in is around 100-200hrs? But don't quote me. I just watched TV for a month and tried no to watch things for very long with tickers or logos. I have a Samsung, but my neighbor wants a new tv and was going to suggest this one. Here's calibration settings for your set to try and see if it fixes your issues, then you can put it all back to default settings for the rest of your burn in time. Let us know if it helps!
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-s60-picture-settings.html

Edit: not sure why it doesn't display it's plasma tv buying guide . Com
post #3 of 3 Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by marys1000 View Post

1) Well for one thing I read people talking about a burn in period?
I hooked this up Friday (now Sunday) and picked some standard configure or something from the basic start up. Should be doing something different?

It's actually called a "Break In" period (burn-in is something completely different) and basically the plasma panel needs a little time to "settle in" before it stabilizes and the settings start to look their best. Historically the break-in period has been about 100 hours, but the calibrators have found that the current 2013 models need about 300 hours until they stabilize. Up till then the settings will drift a little that's all.

Quote:
2) My biggest issue with new tvs is that they are too dark...... Night scenes, everything just disappears. Some shows and movies are worse than others. Even in datome shots when the light looks normal, I notice that half the face is bright and half the face is barely discernable. Or just like right now, somebody hiding something in a car trunk during a day shot, details in the trunk - there are none.
In discussions with people about me hanging on to my old tv people have assured me that its just a matter of configuration. I'm not sure I believe it, I think its the technology, but hopefully configuration will improve things.

The out-of-the-box default settings are dark and crappy (usually it's in Standard Mode which is horrible, but saves energy). You have to change the Picture Mode to either CUSTOM or CINEMA to get the best picture quality - those are the only two good picture modes.

The first post of the S60 thread has a link to D-Nice's 2013 Settings post where the has his break-in procedure (but i'd go 300 hours instead of the previously recommended 100 hours). Otherwise just follow his instructions.

For settings, try Fairchild's settings as a starting point, then tweak them to your particular taste.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/1290#post_23290695

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page