My Pioneer PDP-5080HD finally died - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
As the title states my beloved Pioneer 720p plasma finally died. I have enjoyed it immensely but now I have to shop for a new TV. I game a bit but most of my viewing is through plex on a Mac Mini of 720p shows or through my FibreOp TV service that I think is 720P. While I enjoyed my plasma very much I did find the heat from it intense and the power consumption is quite high even though it was mostly only used in the evenings. Curious to see what you guys think I should start researching. I have not looked at the new sets but I do certainly like the thin profile of a LED/LCD set. I have heard that the Panasonic Plasmas come very close in blacks to the old Pioneer line. I know the old adage of letting my eyes do the decisions for me but having a starting point would be great. Thanks

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to hear. We love ours. Would you be interested in selling the stand. We are in desperate need of one having moved from a house where we had it mounted and now we can't find the stand.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yup I would sell it. I am in Nova Scotia Canada so no idea where you are. Send me a PM

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

As the title states my beloved Pioneer 720p plasma finally died. I have enjoyed it immensely but now I have to shop for a new TV. I game a bit but most of my viewing is through plex on a Mac Mini of 720p shows or through my FibreOp TV service that I think is 720P. While I enjoyed my plasma very much I did find the heat from it intense and the power consumption is quite high even though it was mostly only used in the evenings. Curious to see what you guys think I should start researching. I have not looked at the new sets but I do certainly like the thin profile of a LED/LCD set. I have heard that the Panasonic Plasmas come very close in blacks to the old Pioneer line. I know the old adage of letting my eyes do the decisions for me but having a starting point would be great. Thanks

The current Panasonic and Samsung Plasma TVs are very thin (about as thin as most LED LCD TVs), and they also tend to use less power than older Plasmas did so the current ones should run cooler than your old 5080HD.

The black levels on the current Panasonic ST60, VT60, and ZT60 series Plasmas (as well as the Samsung F8500 series Plasma) should actuallly be better than on your old 5080HD as well (since they're said to be on a par with the later 9G Kuro lineup which are blacker than the 5080HD).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page