Anyone else have poor motion handling with the VT60? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had my 65vt60 for about 3 weeks now. I have all the processing option turned off in the menu and get poor motion handling from all sources. I run hdmi from dvr and panasonic blu ray through my Yamaha rx-a810 receiver to input 2 on the tv. I have tried ARC on and off. I have made sure the receiver is not processing the video.

I have tried connecting the dvr and the blu ray to the tv directly and still see the issue. It isn't ridiculously bad, but definitely there and VERY annoying once you pick up on it. Panning scenes just seem to get jumbled. It seems to be worse when it changes scenes. But once things in the picture get moving, they are fine.

I read tons of reviews and threads on this series TV and nobody is mentioning it, so it has to be something on my set. I have played with turning the motion smoother on at various levels. Even at high, it doesn't correct the issue, is just makes the overall picture look processed\fake.

I was under the impression that plasma was great at motion, so I'm really confused. This is my first plasma and the picture is amazing, but really surprised that it handles motion like this. Don't get the wrong impression. It isn't terrible. It just something that continues to catch my eye. I don't think anyone else here has even noticed it. I mean, when I show the TV, nobody has mentioned it and generally eww and aww at the picture. So, it isn't a glaring issue. I can't really nail it down to an exact situation. Some fast moving scenes are fine, some simple pan scenes are a mess. So, I though it was just bad source, but I get the same problem with blu ray.

Am I being too critical? Is this something that gets better with time? I don't have much to compare it to other than my previous set, a 12 year old Mits rear projection set that didn't have any issues like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Try a new HDMI cable first.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Try a new HDMI cable first.

It is my understanding that hdmi cables either work or don't, there isn't a difference in signal quality unless you go long lengths.

The cables I am using are generic cables that were provided with equipment I purchased or from comcast. I don't know the brand, I never directly purchased any based on my understanding above. Pretty sure they are all 6' cables. I assume that since I am able to use the ARC feature on my receiver and the 3D function of my blu ray player, that they are "high speed" rated cables. Maybe they aren't and that is the issue? I doubt it.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
If you read any of the threads on this forum you would be surprised how many issues like what your describing are fixed with a new cable. You're correct about long runs, but in other problems with a cable are not an on/off proposition. You either received a defective display, have a setting issue (of which no details have been provided to us so we can help you), or something else in your "chain" is causing an issue. Also, ARC doesn't need to be enabled unless you are trying to use an app from the display and want the sound to come out of your HT speakers. Motion isn't an issue for plasma, whether its a Panasonic or Samsung display. The numerous reviews/tests on the various 2013 displays back that up as well as other owner feedback.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
When folks compare Plasma and LCd motion they often say that Plasma has superior motion which suggest that Plasma motion is free of flaws, which, of course, is nonsense. Plasma has slightly better motion than LCd. Motion is mainly a problem because of dirty sources and low frame rates on all flatscreen technologys. Since your TV is a 1080p TV it is best fit to watch HD (1080i) or blu-ray (1080p).

My TV performed at it best once it was pro-calibrated. Also check out each and every setting option, see what it does and wether or not it should be turned off. Watch from propper viewing distance. In a (nearly) dark room you will get the best PQ.

I do know that HDMI cables work or do not work. Nevertheless i compared several HDMI cables and took my time for it. The picture was not at ease with the cheaper ones, that is my observation.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
You might describe what you are seeing on a particular "reference" blu-ray or two that other members are likely to be familiar with.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #7 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I thought the same thing after I got my set but it turned out to be my receiver also processing the video. I turned off all video processing on each of my receiver inputs and it sped up a lot of the motion blur.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I tried another cable, no change. I tried connecting directly from blu ray to tv with the new cable and still see it.

Maybe not a "reference" blu ray. But watching Jack and the Giant slayer tonight and seeing it. Specifically, the part where the giants find the beans and grow the stalks. He yells out Fe Fi Fo Fum and the giants step up one by one as it pans across. Each one is blurry and looses detail in the motion. I backed it up and watched it several times and saw the same thing. Or chapter 10, the guy in the gold suit takes off his helmet and his face is the center image. He takes off his helmet and as it passes by his face as he hands it off, it gets all distorted for a split second.

Another blu ray I noticed it on is Jurassic Park. Not the new 3d edition, just the standard blu ray. Specifically, when they first get to the island after seeing the first dino. They head over to headquarters. As they drive up to the building it pans across the jungle scene and the building gets distorted and the whole scene is kinda jumpy\blurry.

It may just a be source issue and the tv is just too clear, showing all the defects???? Whatever it is, it is distracting.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post

Another blu ray I noticed it on is Jurassic Park. Not the new 3d edition, just the standard blu ray. Specifically, when they first get to the island after seeing the first dino. They head over to headquarters. As they drive up to the building it pans across the jungle scene and the building gets distorted and the whole scene is kinda jumpy\blurry.
Have you tried changing the "24p Direct in" setting to 96Hz?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Pans will still not be perfect with a plasma. Like 8mile13 says, think your expectations are perhaps too high. I doubt you have poor motion handling, you just don't have what you expected. I have a very nice plasma, it's not as good with pans as my old rear projection crt....but it looks a hell of a lot better than that crt overall (and I can move it myself). Technology is improving all the time, but it ain't perfect like you might expect.

PS The LCD I owned briefly was worse at motion than the plasma, but might have been tolerable except for the flashlighting/clouding thing it had going on, made it very hard to watch any dark scenes.

PPS Don't sit too close to the set or the dithering might bother you, too. smile.gif

post #11 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Further back you sit the better the motion seems.Up close and you notice blur more.Some programs look better than others.If your sharpness is too high you will notice the blur more when things start moving around.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Pans will still not be perfect with a plasma. Like 8mile13 says, think your expectations are perhaps too high. I doubt you have poor motion handling, you just don't have what you expected. I have a very nice plasma, it's not as good with pans as my old rear projection crt....but it looks a hell of a lot better than that crt overall (and I can move it myself). Technology is improving all the time, but it ain't perfect like you might expect.

PS The LCD I owned briefly was worse at motion than the plasma, but might have been tolerable except for the flashlighting/clouding thing it had going on, made it very hard to watch any dark scenes.

PPS Don't sit too close to the set or the dithering might bother you, too. smile.gif

Unfortunately, I believe this is the answer. I'm expecting too much. The details are so clear now that when they are off, I notice it much more.
My screen is 65" and I sit about 17' from the screen. I'd prefer closer or bigger, but that is what I have. I started out looking at 70-80" LED, but decided plasma was the way to go.
I have tried 96 Hz.

In an odd comparison, I saw Monsters University this weekend at the theater. It was shown in DLP and it was full of the same issues.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Also, are you upgrading from a smaller TV to the 65"? That may make motion blurring more noticeable than what you are used to. I just upgraded from a 46" to a 60", and now I notice motion blur more than I used to.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #14 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

My previous tv was 65" rear projection
post #15 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 743
After I posted about my old RPCRT having better motion, I started even questioning that because it's just not a great part of what I remember about that set....I remember how frikkin hard it was to move and the IR it had from ESPN logos. I may have good memories of the motion just because at the time the CRTs I've had over the many years (an MGA, a Sony Trinitron and that Hitachi RPCRT) were fairly good sets and what was there to compare to?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page