Whare are the MAIN do's and dont's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can I get some facts from the posters here please? If I get a new Panasonic VT60 IN 60", what are some things and settings I should AVOID? I'm talking things like picture modes not to put it on for a certain amount of time, and setting numbers not to excede like color, contrast, brightness etc.

How long should I avoid these settings/picture modes if in fact there are any to avoid? Anything else that I should be careful of? Like watching channels with logos for more than a certain time? How long? Just a few hours or are we talking about leaving it on overnight and during the day before issues arise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post

anyone?

Do use THX cinema for the first 100 hours or so, do keep the settings conservative especially contrast, do vary your content, do watch blurays but not excessively, do stretch 4:3 content and do enjoy your set smile.gif Follow those things and you should be fine imo

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate you taking the time to post. Sounds simple enough.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It is really, alot of myths, hysteria and just plain bad information here. I have owned 4 Panasonic plasmas and have never done anything other than what I just described have never had an issue. Are you considering a pro cal for your set ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #6 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well that's good to hear. Yes probably eventually but when I first get it since its a pretty big investment, I'll probably just try to set it myself. From what I hear just some basic settings can make it look really good especially for me stepping up from a six year old 720 P plasma.

But like I said probably I will get it done at some point. ust to fine-tune what a great piece of equipment it actually is.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes 300 hours is the recommended break in period for calibration of your set, start with a disc like Spears and Munsil, Disney WOW or AVS709 which is free here, these discs will help you dial in contrast and brightness which is half the battle so to speak, you can also try some user posted settings but those are hit and miss. Also you should subsribe to the VT60 series discussion thread lots of good info there. You made a very good decision imo enjoy !!

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #8 of 22 Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well thank you for your help much appreciated. I'm very excited although very nervous about spending that much money, very excited still. Maybe I'll post some pics up of the installation once it's done.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well thank you for your help much appreciated. I'm very excited although very nervous about spending that much money, very excited still. Maybe I'll post some pics up of the installation once it's done.

Yes please do that would like to see your setup

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #10 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, we'll the installer is almost finished! Got it up, got picture and got sound. I put it on THX Cinema. Got contrast 50, brightness 0, color 50, tint 0, sharpness 50, color temp normal, vivid color off. Those are just the basics I take it. Anything else for the first few weeks? Looks kind if bland but I know it has to be like that for a while.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You can loop color slides continuously overnight while you're in bed to expedite the break-in period. That will also help even the colors in general so they're all getting their due time.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, if I don't do that am I ok? Also, Are the settings I listed okay?
post #13 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Liked: 35
Don't spend too much time on bright logo channels, or have an alternate low-brightness mode you use for those channels. That's the primary cause of IR; nothing else is likely to be a serious issue unless you're a super-serious gamer.

It looks dull because of the 50 contrast. You absolutely do not need to use low contrast (50 is quite low for the VT60) as long as you're sticking to dynamic (in other words logo free) content. More importantly, whatever IR potential the panel has (less than the 2012 models by all reports, but not none) won't change after break-in so you might as well start enjoying the TV now instead of babying it. Pre-calibration break-in is going to go faster at higher light output anyway.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

My guys what is everybody sleeping tonight? The settings I posted, are those good and should I just leave them there for like the next month or so (100 hours)?
post #15 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Somebody answered it for you (headlesschickens), so I decided not to respond.

He said a lot, all which I agree with, but I'm still pretty stingy about treating the aging of the screen to something having to do with IR, if not burn-in. I'm just like that, I guess.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

My guys what is everybody sleeping tonight? The settings I posted, are those good and should I just leave them there for like the next month or so (100 hours)?

My recommendation would be to look for a owners thread or a calibration thread for your TV. Read through it to get a feel where most of the others are setting theirs and go with that for now. That way you have a half way decent picture to look at. Then get a calibration disc. The Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark, 2nd Edition, is really good. It's laid out nicely and has instructions for using the patterns that is easy to access. You can read through article on their site on using the disc (http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/2nd-edition-articles/). Once you get the disc calibrate your TV. Then you'll be enjoying a much better picture while you're going through the break in period.

Hope this helps!
post #17 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

My recommendation would be to look for a owners thread or a calibration thread for your TV. Read through it to get a feel where most of the others are setting theirs and go with that for now. That way you have a half way decent picture to look at. Then get a calibration disc. The Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark, 2nd Edition, is really good. It's laid out nicely and has instructions for using the patterns that is easy to access. You can read through article on their site on using the disc (http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/2nd-edition-articles/). Once you get the disc calibrate your TV. Then you'll be enjoying a much better picture while you're going through the break in period.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! So still wait the 100 hours before using the disk right? Have to keep color, contrast and brightness at a minimum for a while right?
post #18 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! So still wait the 100 hours before using the disk right? Have to keep color, contrast and brightness at a minimum for a while right?

You still seem to be skipping the post headlesschickens made, where he said the low contrast is only if you're being stingy about static images (at least, those which are offset from moving images on screen).

If you're running slides, you can set everything as bright as technologically possible; in fact, as he also said (and as I partly mentioned), this will help speed up your break-in process as you go anyway.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

You still seem to be skipping the post headlesschickens made, where he said the low contrast is only if you're being stingy about static images (at least, those which are offset from moving images on screen).

If you're running slides, you can set everything as bright as technologically possible; in fact, as he also said (and as I partly mentioned), this will help speed up your break-in process as you go anyway.

Okay I hear you I just don't think I'm going to use slides I think I'm just going to break in the TV by watching regular programming. Is that ok?
post #20 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay I hear you I just don't think I'm going to use slides I think I'm just going to break in the TV by watching regular programming. Is that ok?

Yes it is fine to break in with normal content, the slides have two purposes prep for dnices settings or aging more rapidly for a pro calibration outside of that either method is fine for break in. There are a lot of myths perpetuated over and over about the slides.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #21 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that's completely fine. I was only suggesting using slides at night when you're sleeping or whatever, and it's probably not good to just leave the TV on in case you accidentally run into something with a static logo or black bars and you don't have anything to take care of it.

You can have the contrast up for that. You can have everything maxed out if you want, as long as you like the look of the picture and every pixel is working everything that it possibly can.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

Hope this helps!

I've always calibrated right away. Then after a while I'll hit it again. No need for minimums.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page