Lightening and my Panasonic TC-P58V10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About a week ago lightening struck near my house. It did not strike the house directly but it sounded close enough. At the time I had the Panasonic TC-P58V10 off as well as my Onkyo AV receiver. When the lightening struck I heard a quick sort of snapping sound or clicking sound. A few hours later when I went to turn on the TV and receiver two things happened. 1) The TV powered on but no picture. Red light on and not blinking. Also my AV receiver powered on but no sound. Suffice it to say after talking with some people who know about these things I bought a new receiver. (got a great deal on a new Yamaha and I'm happy).

I talked to some local people who know TV's and they thought that the TV was damaged via the HDMI cables. I bought a new Panasonic Plasma the other day but I want to repair the Panasonic TC-P58V10 that now doesn't work. My guess is the board where the HDMI cable goes into the TV is fried. Over at shop jimmy they have this https://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-txn-a1dpuus-a-board-for-tc-p58v10.htm

I am hoping someone here with knowledge of repairing such things can advise me as to whether this is definitely the culprit. I took the back off the TV and there are a slew of boards back there. I hope I am getting the right part. It's on back order by the way.

I would be grateful for any thoughts on this.

Thank you,
Tom K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Couldn't tell you which part or how to test but good luck on that. It's lightning fwiw, lightening is making something lighter smile.gif

What are your plans from preventing it from happening again with your new stuff the next time lightning strikes?

post #3 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

What are your plans from preventing it from happening again with your new stuff the next time lightning strikes?

I have lived in the same house for the past 17 years. I have a superb surge protector. So I don't think I'll do anything different. It was just bad luck. Keep in mind.........the surge protector did it's job. I believe static electricity from the lightening caused the problem with the devices connected to the HDMI cables.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Static electricity lightens your gear? Amazing. You might need whole house protection rather than a surge protector....don't have lightning here except very rarely in any case so don't personally have to take steps to counter.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

This may be of interest to you lovinthehd: http://www.squidoo.com/hdmi-not-working
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
No surge protector will save your TV or AVR. I have seen cases where they have been saved but that is only through the power cord, but even that is rare because there is so much energy behind the lightning that you can't stop it all. If it comes about as a result of induction into nearby wires your HDMI input or other devices are usually fried.

With regards to the A board you need to match the TNPA/TNPH number and suffix e.g. AB before ordering the board.
Tom K. likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Tom. The suffix on the board is AH. TXN/A1DPUUS is the part number. I just got off the phone with Panasonic and they said they won't have the part until August 12th. They told me to try Amazon.com for the part. They don't have it either. Shop jimmy doesn't have it. No one has it right now.

I am hoping that is the correct part (in other words the part that is fried). I am on shop Jimmy's waiting list. As soon as they get the part they send me an email and then I can buy it. I have never fixed a TV before. I have built computers. When it took the back off the TV it looks very similar to a computer. I should be able to pop the board in there no problem. I just hope that's what is wrong with it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page