Measured differences between Calibration DVDs and Professional calibrations. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
edit: Wrong forum. No idea how to delete a thread or move it.
I should probably have asked in a settings thread, but wanted the entire audience and not a subset.

Are there good articles or forum posts showing the display metrics I see commonly on this forum (the categories in the ChromaPure reports), but using only a calibration dvd? Ideally, are there posts that show uncalibrated, DVD calibrated, and professionally calibrated reports using the same system (system = analysis equipment and display)?

Again, it's purely for a ballpark impression of capability.

The obvious considerations apply of course: that the DVD calibration be done by capable operator, that the post/article is not done under questionable motives, that the DVD calibration source is not limiting, and any other factor that my ignorance hasn't realized but could be similarly eliminated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Funny you should ask. Tom Huffman performed a test just yesterday on something close to what you are asking. He compared two generators and a disk. The results are here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1174468/the-official-chromapure-thread/4530#post_23565230.

He looked at "the AccuPel DVG-5000, the Lumagen Mini, The 4K Quantum Data 804a, and test patterns using masicor's disc and an inexpensive Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray player." The Accupel is used as the reference source.

In essence, the disk is just as good as the generators.

Larry
Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I was posting specifically about calibrating a tv set with just test images, vs having a professional come in (expertise + spectrometers + generators).
How different the resulting calibration would be quantitatively.

While it wasn't exactly what I was asking for, your post did show me something I didn't expect! Those generators are not cheap.

Back to scrounging the Display Calibration forum.....
(Either this is a hard find, or i'm terrible at searching)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't know how you are going to do that when there are significant variations in the results of the "professionals" alone. Here are three calibrations for the Panasonic VT60 and all three are correct.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p60st60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1367873271614;createThreadPopup

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread#post_23157979

Larry
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ah! I did not mean the settings themselves, but the results, as measured by a meter.

All of the posts you link to tend to have reports showing results for inaccuracy, dE, RGB balance, etc. These are performance metrics, right? This is what i meant by results/reports!

I'm asking, if someone just bought a calibration DVD off the shelf, ran through the exercise, and arrived at settings using the slides (without using a meter to double check himself), how would that calibration fare when it comes to dE, RGB Balance, etc?

In other words:
A. Change settings crudely with test image -> check display using a meter. Don't use the meter to go back and fine tune your settings!
B. Change settings finely with generator + meter + software + expert (presumably using meter as feedback, giong back and changing settings over and over) -> check resultant metrics using a meter.

How does the 20$ solution (A) compare to the ~300$ solution?
If they are relatively close, the disc makers would have done it and posted about it to show the value of their product, if the two are nowhere near each other then the professional calibrators would have posted to show the value of their service!

(or am i missing something fundamental?)
Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no comparison. Yes, you are missing the fundamentals.

Don't get discouraged though. All the information you need is available in the calibration forum and elsewhere. Start by asking your question over in the calibration forum. There are those over there that thrive on helping out novices.

Have fun. smile.gif

Larry
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter