To buy display model or not to buy , that is the question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to buy a samsung 64" pn64E8000 Tv at a local Fry's electronics store for $1277 plus the manager is willing to give me an additional 10-15% off. The only problem is its a display model and the last one they have. Is this a good deal and would you guys consider buying a display? I dont know how long they have had it for and I don't know how many hours it now has, but there appears to be nothing wrong with it such as burn-in or image retention. It just has a lot of fingerprint smudges on the bezel and a few on the lower part of the screen. What do you guys think?

Thank you for any advice!

Aaron-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post

Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to buy a samsung 64" pn64E8000 Tv at a local Fry's electronics store for $1277 plus the manager is willing to give me an additional 10-15% off. The only problem is its a display model and the last one they have. Is this a good deal and would you guys consider buying a display? I dont know how long they have had it for and I don't know how many hours it now has, but there appears to be nothing wrong with it such as burn-in or image retention. It just has a lot of fingerprint smudges on the bezel and a few on the lower part of the screen. What do you guys think?

Aaron-

I'd check the return policy. If you discover an issue with it when you get it home, make sure they will take it back. That's a very good price for a top of the line plasma. Do they have all the accessories? 2 remotes, 3D glasses, bluetooth to ir blaster?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for replying! I'm not sure what they have for it. They told me to speak to the manager of the dept. on monday morning when he's in next to get the best discount for the display. I will see what they have for the tv then. I think it would still be a good deal if its missing one or two things because I think I can order replacements?? I will definately check out the return policy as I wont bring it home unless I can take it back if something's wrong with it and I believe I get the full manufacturers warranty with it. I'm just worried about how many hours it has on it but I guess even if they had it for a year and on for 12 hours a day that's only 4,380 hours so I guess that's not a big deal? Any thoughts on that? I want the biggest tv i can afford so it's either this one or wait for a possible labor day sale and get the 70" Sharp le650 instead.

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post

Hi everyone,

Aaron-

That's exactly how I got my first plasma, Fry's floor model for $1200. That was 5-1/2 years ago and it's still running great and gets probably 12 hours of daily use? It's my teenager's bedroom TV now and you know teens, she hibernates in there day and night to avoid us. So it's on as long as she's home every day. Oh, and it's a Sansui HD-PDP5000, the no-name everyone here said would be burnt out junk 4-1/2 years ago. wink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Straybeat,

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad you got so much use out of your tv smile.gif . I got my tv for $1199 plus tax and the full year warranty. It came with all of the accessories, blue tooth blaster, manual, two remotes and they gave me an extra 2013 model 3d glasses for a total of 3 pairs! I'm going to costco this weekend to buy a 3 year square trade warranty for $99. I just had it delivered today!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn64e8000 64 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page