Plasma for 24p playback in an editing suite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been pulling my hair out trying to unravel what TV will best suit my needs and am hoping you all can help.

I'm purchasing a TV that will be used for personal use, but also in an at-home film editing suite.

So I need good color and assume that means Plasma.

It also means all of my source material will be 24p and I'm pretty sure I want to be able to play back with a 1:1 pulldown of some sort so that in editing and working on film I am viewing with the correct cadence and not worrying about judder.

So my initial thought was the Panasonic 60" ST60.

However most reviews say that the 24p playback even at 96hz flickers.

Is this going to drive me crazy. If I am going to end up using 3:2 pulldown should I get the 65" S60.

Or do I just go with a 120hz LED?

Any insight would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 13
An IPS panel monitor will get you what you want in terms of color but will only be 60hz.

Have you tried viewing your source material on a 60hz monitor in your NLE already? Does it display the issues you are trying to avoid?

My desktop at home is for work and play. Premiere pro...after effects...3D apps and of course...games. the color accuracy/difference of an IPS panel vs TN is incredibly huge.

I would look into the Dell Ultrasharp monitors betwen 27-30"...or the ASUS 27" PB278Q. You will be getting a native resolution of 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 on these monitors and they are a treat to work on.

Just an idea...I could test stuff out on my end. I have a tn panel, two IPS, a 120hz led and my new 65" plasma that i could display your source footage on if you want to send me a 10second clip. I know you wouldnt be able to see it yourself but maybe i can relay what works to best to my eye.

Also...your name is awesome because it is my name too smile.gif

-Jake
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

haha yeah bud, we got to stick together, right?

yeah i'm not so worried about the monitor i have plugged in to my system. currently i have an apple thunderbolt display which is almost as good as the Dell Ultrasharp.

for me it's more about the big screen that I will use for judging the pacing of scenes when editing, as well as for screening to friends/VIPs when they come to see my work. i'm doing post production with technicolor and they were basically like, "you have to buy a plasma" --- so now i've ordered the 60" panasonic st60. comes on monday. but i'm ready to return it if its not perfect cause i can probably get the equvalent LED screen in at least 65" for same price.

does your 65" do 24p at 96hz? how does it look to you compared to the LED doing 24p at 120hz?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 13
It's the panasonic tc-65ps64 - I'm not sure about the 24/96hz but I can check it out. Would it be as simple as playing a bluray that's 24p?

I'll have to hook things up and playback some 24p footage on my monitor. It's a benq 24" 1920x1080 120hz pc monitor though, not a TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

oh yeah, that's another one i thought about. i think it only does 60hz though, which is not 24p. i think it might have a 48hz mode, but i think that will flicker.

yeah playing a bluray movie should do it....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Asus Pb278q Led Monitor 27 Inch
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page