ST60 display border issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 50 " st60 that when in "Full" aspect mode shows at least a 3/16" black border around the screen, but at times it can be as much as 3/8". Sometimes it will be larger on one side than the other or the top and bottom. This happens on all inputs with 16:9 content., streaming, over the air broadcast, even blu-ray. I've tried disconnecting my AVR and going just with the antenna with the same results.

I can keep the border to 3/16" if i use the "Just " mode and/or overscan but "Just" mode stretches the picture vertically and prefer not to use overscan. Although I'm a newb, I realize certain aspect ratios will have bars on the top and bottom and that even when off the st60s have approx. 1/16" dark back border around screen and am not referring to this.

I considered returning for replacement but the display model at my local retailer showed the same characteristics and for that matter so did the VT60 sitting next to it. This is my first plasma and am coming from a 32" LG LCD but this doesn't seem normal. Has anyone else had this issue?

First level panasonic tech support could only offer a factory reset when i first contacted them, and after the second attempt said I Would put at the top of the que for the next level but its been five days since initial contact and I have until this weekend to return/ replace. I really love the picture and now know what the plasma mantra is about. Can anybody help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Try switching pixel orbiter to auto if it's on. After that switch between the aspect formats just and full and see if it changed anything. It would be best to check it out on something in 1.78 aspect ratio.

Check the settings/issues thread. I think you're experiencing the same thing another person in the thread did. This link will take you to the page where the poster describes it and even provides pictures.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/390#post_23266968
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

First, let me apologize for taking so long to reply, work has very busy lately and between that and doing battle with Panasonics tech support ,(or lack there of) I've gotten kind of burnt out with this issue!

I did try switching the pixel orbiter to auto and put on some local over the air H.D. programing and switched between Full and Just modes and the border stayed a consistent 3/16" approx. (which in a question and answer area of their web site Panasonic says is by design)

To better see what I was looking at, I put on some of D-Nices prep slides and switched the pixel orbiter between on and auto several times and did notice the image shifting around to as much as a 3/8" border on one side and then centering to an approx. 3/16" border when in auto. This would seem to make sense because in order for the pixel orbiter to work there would have to be a blank border large enough to allow the image to shift in all directions without cutting any of the image off.

Although this seems to be normal,still frustrated with Panasonic for dragging their feet on an official explanation. Its been 11 days since I initially contacted them and one week since I submitted pictures of this issue at their request . (I've posted them below in case you or anyone else is interested)

Thanks for your input and link to the similar question like mine.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by avf63 View Post

I have a 50 " st60 that when in "Full" aspect mode shows at least a 3/16" black border around the screen, but at times it can be as much as 3/8". Sometimes it will be larger on one side than the other or the top and bottom. This happens on all inputs with 16:9 content., streaming, over the air broadcast, even blu-ray. I've tried disconnecting my AVR and going just with the antenna with the same results.

I can keep the border to 3/16" if i use the "Just " mode and/or overscan but "Just" mode stretches the picture vertically and prefer not to use overscan. Although I'm a newb, I realize certain aspect ratios will have bars on the top and bottom and that even when off the st60s have approx. 1/16" dark back border around screen and am not referring to this.

I considered returning for replacement but the display model at my local retailer showed the same characteristics and for that matter so did the VT60 sitting next to it. This is my first plasma and am coming from a 32" LG LCD but this doesn't seem normal. Has anyone else had this issue?

First level panasonic tech support could only offer a factory reset when i first contacted them, and after the second attempt said I Would put at the top of the que for the next level but its been five days since initial contact and I have until this weekend to return/ replace. I really love the picture and now know what the plasma mantra is about. Can anybody help?

Panasonic phone reps have virtually no technical knowledge about their TVs so it's likely that they'll never get back to you. I don't know why they'd call it tech support - they usually don't know the answers or answer the questions wrong.

Almost all Panasonic models (even the Pro models) have a narrow black mask around the perimeter of the screen to hide the absolute edge of the panel where the ribbons attach etc and this is normal. With Aspect set to FULL, you will get the full image right up to the edge of that mask. This border (mask) is present on most Panasonic Plasma models. Some models have a thicker black border than others do.

Some content programming add their own narrow borders around the image so it looks like the mask gets even thicker sometimes but it's an illusion.

Here's a few pertinent threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435409/thin-black-bars-on-all-sides#post_22521030

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448043/image-not-to-edge-of-bezel-is-this-normal#post_22755369
Jorsher likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
RandyWalters. You said in one of your posted threads that some Panasonics dont have this mask. Is it possible that the frame was mounted so that the mask was covered?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

RandyWalters. You said in one of your posted threads that some Panasonics dont have this mask.

To be more clear all models have the mask around the perimeter of the screen, but on some models the bezel is wider and covers the mask right up to the edge of the image. Other models with narrower bezels leave part of the mask exposed, which i presume is an acceptable byproduct of making the bezel narrower.

Quote:
Is it possible that the frame was mounted so that the mask was covered?

Nope. The masking is along all four edges around the perimeter of the glass itself. The screen opening within the bezel is wider than the actual image area which is why they apply the masking.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Once again I'm very sorry about not replying to your post in a timely matter. I held off partly because Panasonic surprisingly did finally call back to say I could make an appointment with my local authorized repair shop if still interested.(Only took them 9 days after I submitted the pictures) There was no discussion, no explanation they just passed me to an operator who gave me the name and number to the nearest repair shop. So I made the appointment and the Tech confirmed what I was seeing was just the normal design of the panel coupled with the function of the pixel orbiter. This makes me wonder why Panasonic thought it was necessary to send a tech in the first place. No wonder the Korean Giants are kicking the butts of Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba! In any event, thanks Randy for the reply and links to the other threads. I've gotten much more information much sooner from you and people like Raikirik than I ever did from Panasonic. Come to think of it , I never got any information from Panasonic.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv