Looking to replace my 1080i Pioneer Elite with a slightly bigger tv + of course better picture quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Pioneer Elite 60 inch 1080i that was purchased in 2007. At the time it was top of the line (or close to) and I have never been happier with a TV.

I'd like to move that TV to another room and replace the Elite. Whatever I purchase I would like to be an upgrade in terms of picture quality (because I absolutely love the quality on the Elite). I'd like to get a 65-70 inch tv and it seems like just about every tv in that size range is a smart-TV with 3d capability.

One concern I have is that a few of my friends (and the salesperson at BestBuy) have warned me to stay away from an LED because it looks too artificial due to the high sharpness.

I'm a bit lost because I remember about 6 years ago I based my decision on contrast ratio, resolution, refresh rate, etc., but now many sites are stating these numbers are mostly useless.

Any kind of guidance as far as brand, LED vs. Plasma, the usefulness of specifications, etc., would be much appreciated. Many of you have been a great help to me over the years -- I wish I could return the favor but unfortunately I never seem to keep up with new technology.

I was just going to buy another Pioneer but saw that they're no longer making TVs! I feel old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Plasma is still the king honcho concerning PQ, and since you like to upgrade for the long haul, you have 3 choices: The Samsung F8500 (64") or the Panasonic VT60 or ZT60 (65"). Considering what you're upgrading from, all 3 would be a noticeable visual upgrade. The former is the brightest plasma ever made, and the latter two go a little darker (and have the deepest plasma black levels since Pioneer exited the market). The biggest difference in the ZT60 versus the VT60 is the former's more aggressive filter, which is best of all 3 in reducing reflections and maintaining the TV's black level in lit conditions but at the expense of being the dimmest. I preferred the combination of pros offered by the ZT myself (and made an upgrade from a 50" Pioneer from 2008, the final model year).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 150fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page