Is Picture-in-Picture Still a Feature? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A long time ago it was the coolest thing to get a big-screen TV with PIP, but then after LCD TVs started becoming more popular, I didn't hear people mention it much. Anyway, when I bought my first big LCD TV (quite a few years ago), I was happy to see that it offered PIP (despite it not be advertised anywhere on the packaging) -- BUT it only worked for certain inputs (e.g. it isn't possible to display component and HDMI at the same time). I suspect that some of these limitations are due to problems with scaling digital content (and of course PIP over-the-air TV would require two tuners, etc.)

Okay, but I'm seeing all of these new "smart" TVs everywhere that have web apps and that sort of thing, but I never hear ANYONE mention PIP at all. So... is PIP still around? I know it probably sounds like a stupid question, but I have only recently begun looking for a new large screen TV and I never see PIP advertised as a feature, so I'm just wondering if it exists on modern TVs. Personally, I would rather be able to display two sources at the same time than have some kind of app that allows me to check Facebook on my plasma TV.

What I would love is a plasma display that would allow me to do PIP with HDMI (e.g. HDMI and TV/two HDMI sources, etc). I'm guessing that this doesn't exists, but I would happy to find that I am mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Get Direct TV, their Genie DVR offers it.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
PIP is still around (the Samsung plasma screens still have them), but you get to choose one source and then cable/antenna. Can't have HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, for instance.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sony LEDs have had PiP and P&P (side by side windows). Don't know of the latest models it my 929 xbr limits you to one analog and one hdmi input. Can't do 2 hdmi inputs at once. So I can do hdmi & tuner or 1 TiVo via hdmi and another via component.

Phil Tomaskovic
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page