Oled,4K,Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello, im new to this forum but been reading and researching a lot lately as i am interested in buying a new tv just needed some advice i know that the oled and 4k are going to be expensive but for how long is it worth the wait if its going to be a short amount of wait then its fine but if it is several years from now than i would rather buy a tv now as there is no content out there for those sets . my last purchase was 5 years ago 42 inch lcd sharp aqous . i have been reading reviews and people are saying the best tv is the f8500 or vt60 or even the sony 4k , i dont mind spending upto 5g for a tv but anything more than that is too steep for me. this will be going into my room i sit about 10-12 feet away i mostly play games/watch movies/ watch hockey alot mainly those are the purposes so witch tv would be best for me or the best tv in general right now or is it better to wait if its gonna be short amount of time lets say Christmas time for oled or 4k or even if the prices are going to drop for the current TV's .

Edit: forgot to add that i will be using this a lot on average hours would be like 5-12 hours so would need something dependable and isn't going to break down or burn out

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Liked: 13
OLED technology (in the sense of a practical large screen HDTV for a reasonable price) is still years away from everything I have heard. 4K televisions are more within reach in the near future, but it is questionable whether they offer any real benefit over 1080p (esp. at 10-12 feet away).
post #3 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Sitting 10 to 12 feet out, a 65" screen is what you'd need at a minimum to maximize immersion. Larger like 70" might even be more ideal, but that leaves out Plasma, and OLED is limited to 55" now (with curved screens, retailing for $15k). I would wager "affordable" OLED (if it arrives) is still 4-5 years away (a familiar timeline when it comes to anything OLED). You can get some cheap Chinese junk in the 4K realm (50") for under $1k, but those will be obsolete pretty quick (HDMI revision being just around the corner), and you won't be able to appreciate the improved resolution from your seating distance. There are larger 4K panels, but they are priced fairly astronomically right now, and, with 4K in its current half-baked state (along with an HDMI revision around the corner), it's a bit of a gamble. The F8500, VT60, or ZT60 are all great choices. I chose the latter, and it's ideal for medium lit and dark rooms.
post #4 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply i should steer away from oled and 4k until further reviews and content available. am i better off going with the f8500 or vt60 rather than taking the gamble on the sony 4k TV now
post #5 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

and also what about the burn out rate on these because i will be watching a lot of tv daily as it is apart of my job i work from home. so i will be playing games watching movies netflix etc . since i heard that plasmas do tend to burn out quicker than others i would obviously be getting a warranty for sure.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Not sure where you heard that, but it sounds like FUD being spouted by someone with a vested interest in selling you LCD or had an unfortunate experience with plasma. Failure rate for Samsung plasma is very low (5%), and Panasonic is even lower (3%) according to Consumer Reports. The Panasonics don't reach their brightness half-life until 100,000 hours. The power supply is likely to go before the panel.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

i just searched on the internet and stuff i haven't approached any sales person just saw a few TVs(pansonic was amazing they had the lone ranger trailer and i was blown away ) in store decided to come back and do some more research to see what would be the best value and picture quality for me. so personally witch one would you recommend the Samsungs flagship or panasonics is there any real differences don't know what would suit my need price doesn't really matter to me as they both are under $5000
post #8 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Is your room particularly bright and/or do you care about such viewing or would you prefer a picture that excels with dimmer lighting and in total darkness? That's the primary consideration. F8500 in the former case and VT60 or ZT60 (with a moderate amount of light) in the latter is how I see it.
post #9 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

well i just have one window in my room usually in the day i do leave the blinds open to get some light in but i can always close it if im watching tv . at night though is my main uses for it so i guess i want a tv that excels in the dark? so that would be the f8500 ?
post #10 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM

No, that would be the VT and ZT60 (though some here would disagree wink.gif). F8500 does a good job in the dark, too, but the deeper the blacks, the better, and the Panasonics have the deepest black level of any plasma save the legendary Kuro (Pioneer). ZT60 might be the best in your case since you do have one pesky window off to the side. The filter will provide for a more contrasty picture even with some outdoor light emanating into the room.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

also the UN55F9000 55 inch is set to come out next week it is a 4k uhd and the price is fairly not bad 5500$ from amazon would that be something worth looking at
post #12 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM

It's only 55", and your seating distance is up to 12 feet away (largely negating the benefits of the minimal 4K content that's out there). I don't personally see the value. Its black levels will also in all likelihood fall short of the F8500 and VT/ZT60s, and I have a suspicion you will be more appreciative of those than what 4K provides (based on your seating distance, the scarcity of 4K content, and your prime viewing environment aka in the dark).
post #13 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

alright i will compare the zt60 and the f8500 and go from there thanks your help appreciate it . may i ask what TV are you currently using?
post #14 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

for*
post #15 of 27 Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM

ZT! Good luck. smile.gif
post #16 of 27 Old 08-02-2013, 03:57 AM

Be sure to compare hockey on both sets... If you watch a lot of it, I have a feeling you are going to prefer one set over the other substantially.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 367
the ZT tongue.gif
I love it when hockey gets splashed up as a reason to pick one over the other. The whites on both are very good and yes I have seen them both - it is not a reason to buy one over the other. Do your homework and make the decision based on what you think is best for you - which could involve a few variables or many. Both a very good choices.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

okay guys so i have a few options i was trying to spend less than 5 but it might look like i will have to spend more since i need a new TV stand with a mount and probably a sound bar since the tv sound quality will suck . so the zt60 is about 4999$ i know a friend at visions that can probably get me it for cost +10 don't know how much that would be hoping for 4. and then i have the option of the f8500 3800$ again cost +10 would be cheaper and work in my favor . or the vt60 now is there a big difference in the vt and the zt enough to want one or the other more that one is going for 4200$ cost +10 would be lower of course i did a lot of reviews its basically the deeper black levels . and the benefit from f8500 is only that is brighter and has more lag input(but it did win the award for best tv for this year for a reason). i do play games a lot and watch sports all the time having a tough time choosing between these price is starting to play a role as well i want whatever is the best i can get for preferably under 5000 . i love the look of the Samsung but im going to mount on a tv stand anyway so that favors the Panasonic because i don't think the Samsung is mountable maybe it is might be wrong but i would be fine with getting a normal glass tv stand for it . can anyone help me out with this dilemma i do want the best quality for the right price and kind of squeeze it under 5000 if i could might have to cheap out on the stand and sound bar but that's fine with me .
post #19 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

i can also wait a few months if the prices drop or whatever up until November/December?
post #20 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

and i know each set has there defects fan noises / buzzing noises hopefully i get a good set and don't run into that problem especially when so much money is being spent here you would think they would test these products before selling to us consumers but that's the price you got to pay i guess for the best . i will be getting warranty for sure with this
post #21 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 573
The Samsung is certainly wall-mountable and that's where my 64'' 8500 resides.

When you're comparing these displays, watch how they handle bright scenes with lots of bright areas. Of course this does not mean just hockey, it can be nature shows or any content with a significant area of brightness. This was one of the reasons I chose the 8500.

In the end they're all great displays and all will perform exceptionally well in dim to dark rooms. In brighter rooms there is more of a significant difference between these panels.

Ultimately it becomes more a question of taste and the kind of content you watch.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. i have checked both of them out and though the Samsung is brighter in light but it wouldn't make a difference to me as my room is dark and only 1 window facing another house so not much light shines in the room. i checked several websites some people say the input lag on the samsung is also higher 46-51ms average while the Panasonic range from 36-46 i do gaming a lot as well but if i cant tell by the naked eye that shouldn't be a problem either. i guess if i can get the zt60 for around 4k i can go with that if not than Samsung will be my choice that's what im leaning towards at the moment.
post #23 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 566
hear are my thoughts:

the immediate possibilities include:
-4k LED's
-1080p OLED's

now imo, 4k isn't going to be worth it until it's no longer attached to edge-lit led backlights. I don't care what panel you put in front, if the backlight is garbage, the image is garbage. seems as though nobody wants to deal with the thickness and cost of full array led backlights anymore either. I don't think plasma will ever support 4k, nobody is putting any money into developing this as far as we know. this leaves oled as being the only way a 4k resolution is going to look good.

so if you're waiting for a good looking 4k tv, you've got to wait for not only 4k to become 'normal' on the leds, but 1080p oled to become 'cheap' too. imo, aside from minor improvements we'll see from Panasonic and Samsung on their excellent plasmas, it'll be closer to 10yrs before a new 'reference quality' 4k display is affordable(say under 5grand).

so for me, there isn't going to be a display tech that is worth buying over today's plasma screens until:
-OLED's support 4k resolution
-4k content is available at home
-screen sizes are min 80"

personally, I bought my 'big screen' plasma this year, and I intend to use it for 5-10yrs. I wanted to make sure I had a good tv to last me, I was afraid plasmas might go extinct and there wouldn't be a reasonable replacement. I was left in this situation when CRT's went off the market. I honestly didn't believe they would stop making them as long as they still gave the best picture. but there I was, babying my precious CRT for nearly 13yrs hoping it would last. I guess in a way it did, as the f8500 and vt60 are close enough on blacks, the only thing my old hitachi still had going for it was not having lag. but for a period of about 6years I kept an eye on the market and literally couldn't find one display that I preferred over my slowing failing crt. so, if anything, i'd be more worried about missing out on the opportunity to buy a really good display now, knowing that plasma's days on the market seem to be numbered. i'm sure at the first sign of failing oled sales, they'll stop making plasmas to force ppl into buying the oleds

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #24 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

No, that would be the VT and ZT60 (though some here would disagree wink.gif). F8500 does a good job in the dark, too, but the deeper the blacks, the better, and the Panasonics have the deepest black level of any plasma save the legendary Kuro (Pioneer). ZT60 might be the best in your case since you do have one pesky window off to the side. The filter will provide for a more contrasty picture even with some outdoor light emanating into the room.

I would agree with this overall.

I don't think it's so much that ppl disagree that the vt/zt is better in the dark and the f8500 is better when it's bright. ppl disagree when ppl say that the vt/zt isn't good when it's bright, and the f8500 isn't good in the dark.

the reality is, if the Samsung didn't exist, the vt/zt would be unquestionably the best tv on the market today. and if the panny's didn't exist, the f8500 would be unquestionably the best tv on the market today. there really isn't anything else even close in my opinion. it's almost like arguing between a lambo and Ferrari and one side quotes an extra 15HP, and the other side quotes a top speed 5mph faster. they both have plenty of power and go insanely fast.

the pannys are SLIGHTLY darker, and the Samsung is SLIGHTLY better in a bright room. I simply can't believe there are too many ppl that would sit in front of a calibrated f8500 and be disgusted by how bright the black level is, or sit in front a panny and complain that it's too dim and ask you to turn off all the lights and board up the windows. tongue.gif

post #25 of 27 Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kof123 View Post

thanks for the reply. i have checked both of them out and though the Samsung is brighter in light but it wouldn't make a difference to me as my room is dark and only 1 window facing another house so not much light shines in the room. i checked several websites some people say the input lag on the samsung is also higher 46-51ms average while the Panasonic range from 36-46 i do gaming a lot as well but if i cant tell by the naked eye that shouldn't be a problem either. i guess if i can get the zt60 for around 4k i can go with that if not than Samsung will be my choice that's what im leaning towards at the moment.

lag on Samsung is definitely an issue. truth is it's the only issue I have. the 'solution' was for me to hook up a second HDMI cable to input2 and lable it 'PC'. this disables all the processing and cuts the lag down to a reasonable amount. it could certainly be inconvenient for many, I happened to have an extra HDMI output from my splitter not being used, so it was a 4dollar fix with a new HDMI cable and a tweak to the harmony remote.

as far as the zt goes, I did not see the value in it. the vt60 would be my choice if I didn't go with the Samsung. it's picture quality is just as good, it's significantly cheaper. most of the money for the zt goes into the glass which really doesn't improve the viewing experience, and the filter which shouldn't be a concern unless you have a lot of lights on.

I know it's kinda weird, but I look at the Samsung being on one end, the vt60 on the other, and the zt60 being a compromise of both. notice, I didn't say the 'best of both', I said a compromise.

but hey, there's no bad choice between the 3 of them. you literally can't make the wrong decision here

post #26 of 27 Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

so i made up my mind picked up the samsung havent played it around with it much yet but will now. the reason i choose this over the Panasonic is because the smart hub is extremely fast compared to panasonics and quality to me and my naked eye seemed equivalent and it was cheaper so win win .

post #27 of 27 Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM

Congrats. I don't think anyone can dispute who is king in the smart TV realm. Also, I can't definitively recall but the F8500 may have a faster processor than that of the Panasonics.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page