How can I use different video settings on my VT50 for different A/V receiver inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic VT50 and I want to add a surround sound system (never had one before). Apparently the VT50's ARC port will only pass back 2.0 audio from connected devices, so I'll have to connect my devices to a receiver directly. I have a PS3 and a HTPC (both HDMI), but I use different video settings for them and I want it to stay that way. So if I connect them to a receiver and then I have one HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, how can I make the TV use different video settings based on which signal is being sent to it by the receiver? Is it even possible?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 291
For each HDMI input on the TV, you will be limited to the settings you choose for that particular input.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I was afraid of. frown.gif Is there some other way to approach this problem that I'm not thinking of? Surely I'm not the first person in the world to want device-specific video settings and surround sound at the same time ...
post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Schmelcher View Post

That's what I was afraid of. frown.gif Is there some other way to approach this problem that I'm not thinking of? Surely I'm not the first person in the world to want device-specific video settings and surround sound at the same time ...

I have my set hooked up to an AVR using just one input which feeds three devices, my DTV DVR, BD player and Roku. Although my player has it's own controls I have them set to default. The sets controls were calibrated using a disc with test patterns in the cinema mode and I have no issues with the settings regardless of which device I use. However, if you are dead set on multiple settings and you are willing to make the investment, your best bet would be a dual HDMi output AVR's. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256280/list-of-entry-level-receivers-with-mutiple-hdmi-out-2-hdmi-out/0_50 Keep in mind that you would still need to also switch inputs on the TV when changing devices on your AVR to access the different settings.

Ian

post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 14
If you're hooking everything to the A/V receiver (AVR), you don't need ARC unless you're watching a TV App. Or, optical cables (SPDIF) carry the same audio signal as ARC, and you could use that instead.

Many AVRs allow you to customize video settings per input, so you could use that instead of the TV.

You could buy an HDMI switch between the AVR and the TV, and switch that when you change the inputs. Get one with a remote control, and this could be a one button selection if you have a good universal remote. Be sure it supports 1.4a standards.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

Many AVRs allow you to customize video settings per input, so you could use that instead of the TV

Many do not and the ones that do aren't cheap. Also, some AVR's video processing falls short when compared to the processing done by the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post

You could buy an HDMI switch between the AVR and the TV, and switch that when you change the inputs. Get one with a remote control, and this could be a one button selection if you have a good universal remote. Be sure it supports 1.4a standards.

Using a switch is worth considering, but finding a universal remote that offers all the options you need may not be that easy.

If you calibrate your TV properly you may find that using the same input for all your sources may still be worth considering. I watch broadcast, Blu-Ray and stream quite frequently and rarely have had to change my settings to get the best picture quality.

Ian

post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

So the reason that I want different video settings is that I have the pixel orbiter turned on for the PS3, but I need it turned off for the HTPC because otherwise the buttons and stuff on the edge aren't visible. My HTPC has a built-in pixel orbiter option that is mouse-position-aware, so I'm still protected against image retention. I don't suppose there are any A/V receivers with a pixel orbiter setting? Seems unlikely.

I don't understand the HDMI switch option. Is the idea to split the HDMI output from the A/V receiver to two inputs on the TV? Could I use an HDMI splitter instead and leave both splitter outputs on all the time? I guess I still need to make the A/V receiver and the TV switch inputs at the same time. Would a Harmony remote do the trick?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Schmelcher View Post

So the reason that I want different video settings is that I have the pixel orbiter turned on for the PS3, but I need it turned off for the HTPC because otherwise the buttons and stuff on the edge aren't visible. My HTPC has a built-in pixel orbiter option that is mouse-position-aware, so I'm still protected against image retention. I don't suppose there are any A/V receivers with a pixel orbiter setting? Seems unlikely.

I don't understand the HDMI switch option. Is the idea to split the HDMI output from the A/V receiver to two inputs on the TV? Could I use an HDMI splitter instead and leave both splitter outputs on all the time? I guess I still need to make the A/V receiver and the TV switch inputs at the same time. Would a Harmony remote do the trick?

You can use a splitter as baboa dave suggested, if you have an existing AVR, but if you are shopping for a new AVR, why not just get one with dual HDMI outputs? If image retention is the real issue here, the pixel orbiter on the TV works just fine. You really don't need it turned on for the PS3. Besides, the best way to avoid permanent IR/burn in is to watch plenty of full screen content. When I watch programming with sports tickers or letter box content etc.. I always leave the set on with normal full screen content for at least 15 minutes afterward to remove any residual IR. My BD player doesn't have a screen saver when pausing, so I just switch back to regular TV. When I go to bed a night after watching a movie or ball game, I set the timer on the TV. Pixel orbiter's and scrolling bars never did much in terms of reducing IR for me. My set is over 3 years old and the screen is as clean as can be.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page