Fair exchange for a Panasonic GT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 2013 model ST60 a fair exchange for a bad display GT50? I'm getting a replacement and I am unclear on whether they are swapping with the new VT60 or the ST60. Both are 60in. displays.

Would the 2013 ST60 be comparable to the 2012 GT50, in picture quality, for a fair enough exchange?

Thanks for the reply, I am weighing my options and looking at the specs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes
MightyMapleTree likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

The cause for my confusion was that the GT50 was nestled between the VT50 and the ST50 last year.

I am wondering if the 2103 ST60 will be lacking anything in particular that gave the GT50 a step-up in last years lineup.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Try fighting for the VT60. I've seen other members on AVS that were offered an ST60 and managed to talk them into a VT60. Even though the ST60 is better than the GT50, the ST60 lacks some features the GT50 had, like a dual-core processor, and the THX modes. If they won't budge, the ST60 is still a solid replacement.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMapleTree View Post

Is the 2013 model ST60 a fair exchange for a bad display GT50? I'm getting a replacement and I am unclear on whether they are swapping with the new VT60 or the ST60. Both are 60in. displays.

Would the 2013 ST60 be comparable to the 2012 GT50, in picture quality, for a fair enough exchange?

Thanks for the reply, I am weighing my options and looking at the specs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Try fighting for the VT60. I've seen other members on AVS that were offered an ST60 and managed to talk them into a VT60. Even though the ST60 is better than the GT50, the ST60 lacks some features the GT50 had, like a dual-core processor, and the THX modes. If they won't budge, the ST60 is still a solid replacement.

Also, I believe US ST60 lacks "1080P Pure Direct" feature as well.

That feature on GT50 was the determining factor for exchanging my new ST50 for GT50 in January.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. After some time looking at the specs I will try to get the VT. I went through Panasonic for warranty, but I still have yet to try Best Buy's warranty I purchased. That new VT looks pretty sweet. Although I'm sure the ST will have a great pic too, it's retailing at 400$ less than what I bought the GT for. I paid 1900$, and that was with a 700$ pricecut.

much appreciation for the input as I go through this tv transition.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMapleTree View Post

Thanks for the comments guys. After some time looking at the specs I will try to get the VT.

While the ST60 probably has a better picture than the GT50, it is a downgrade when you compare the features. Don't let them replace a GT50 with an ST60 - tell them that the primary reason why you initially chose to spend a lot more money for a GT50 over their ST50 was because the GT50 had the THX Picture modes and that was extremely important to you. And since the ST60 doesn't have the excellent THX modes, then give you a model that has the THX modes and hold your ground. I have recommended this to others and they were successful !!

Quote:
I went through Panasonic for warranty, but I still have yet to try Best Buy's warranty I purchased.

DO NOT use your Best Buy warranty while the TV is still under the 1-year factory warranty!! Leave Best Buy completely out of it during that first year and deal directly with Panasonic until the factory warranty expired. Let Panasonic give you a replacement TV. If you use the BB warranty and they replace the TV, then that almost always cancels the BB warranty as it goes away with the old TV and doesn't carry over to the replacement TV so you lose the money you paid for the BB warranty, and you have to buy a new warranty for the replacement TV.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

DO NOT use your Best Buy warranty while the TV is still under the 1-year factory warranty!! Leave Best Buy completely out of it during that first year and deal directly with Panasonic until the factory warranty expired. Let Panasonic give you a replacement TV. If you use the BB warranty and they replace the TV, then that almost always cancels the BB warranty as it goes away with the old TV and doesn't carry over to the replacement TV so you lose the money you paid for the BB warranty, and you have to buy a new warranty for the replacement TV.

True the warranty won't carry over once it's fulfilled, and a new warranty would need to be purchased if Best Buy issues a replacement TV. However, Best Buy issues a pro-rated refund for any portion of the protection plan that goes unused on the initial TV. So, since the OP is still within his 1-year mfg. warranty he would receive most of the money he paid for the plan back. If Panasonic direct replaces his GT50 with a new TV then Best Buy won't service the TV under the warranty he purchased since it would be a different TV.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

So Panasonic came out today with a VT60! I'm happy with it, and all of you have been really helpful in giving me justification for getting a better set.

THANKS! Thumbs UP avsforum members!!

biggrin.gif:D:D
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page