ST60 VT60 OR F8500 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > ST60 VT60 OR F8500

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

WILLINH's Avatar WILLINH
10:59 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 2013
Ihave a 50g15 that I'm not reall happy with. The blacks are dull now the picture seems soft much of the time. I have been looking at the 55" st 60and 55"vt 60 also the 51" f8500. It seems they all have good blacks but is the picture on the soft at all on the vt ? Is the panel new type on the samsung? As this concerns me as the panel on yhe g10-g15 was the new type of panel in 2009. Thank You for any input any one can give me.
ecu2008's Avatar ecu2008
11:22 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 2013
ST60 is the best bang for your buck. I'd go with that and get the extra 4" over the F8500
WILLINH's Avatar WILLINH
11:36 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 2013
Do you have a st60? Is the picture sharp? I also have burn in.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
12:07 PM Liked: 972
post #4 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 4,611
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecu2008 View Post

ST60 is the best bang for your buck. I'd go with that and get the extra 4" over the F8500

i agree with this. i ended up with an f8500 and love it, but i was looking at 65/64" models, so one inch wasn't a big deal, and the f8500 was about 300bux cheaper than the vt60 for me.

when i viewed in store, i found the st60 and vt60 to be surprisingly similar. my guess is it takes a good calibration and dark room for the vt60 to show its strengths.
WILLINH's Avatar WILLINH
12:20 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 2013
Did you find the vt60 as sharp as the f8500?
Blue's Avatar Blue
01:18 PM Liked: 11
post #6 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 244
Joined: May 2002
I'm facing a similar choice -- is a 64 inch F8500 worth twice as much as a 60 inch ST60? (Thanks to the bigger bezel, I can't fit a 65 inch Panny in the space.) Tough call for those of us who have to watch our expenses.
newdavy12's Avatar newdavy12
02:21 PM Liked: 11
post #7 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 15
Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLINH View Post

Did you find the vt60 as sharp as the f8500?
depend if there is movement, my vt30 was clearer than f8500 but on a still image they are about the same
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
03:23 PM Liked: 972
post #8 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 4,611
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLINH View Post

Did you find the vt60 as sharp as the f8500?

both tv's are limited by the content imo. i only had one clip with 1080p content on my usb drive and it looked fantastic on both. i am quite familiar with plasma's and am used to the way they look and i prefer a 'soft' (natural, film-like, take your pick) image over an artificially sharpened one. so i may not be the best to comment. i think ppl are ridiculous when they talk about 'clarity' issues on any of these ultra high end displays rolleyes.gif
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
03:27 PM Liked: 972
post #9 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 4,611
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I'm facing a similar choice -- is a 64 inch F8500 worth twice as much as a 60 inch ST60? (Thanks to the bigger bezel, I can't fit a 65 inch Panny in the space.) Tough call for those of us who have to watch our expenses.

that is an interesting issue. between the extra size and quality, there's no doubt the samsung is the better option, but double the price? that could be tough. i'd also say you're either getting a sweet deal on the st60 or overpaying for the f8500. it shouldn't be quite double.

it's too bad you can't fit a 65" st60. seems like that would be the obvious solution.
WILLINH's Avatar WILLINH
04:09 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 13
08-12-2013 | Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 2013
I cant go larger than 55" or I will have to move out or maybe my wife will the I could get a 65"
Blue's Avatar Blue
11:31 AM Liked: 11
post #11 of 13
08-13-2013 | Posts: 244
Joined: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

that is an interesting issue. between the extra size and quality, there's no doubt the samsung is the better option, but double the price? that could be tough. i'd also say you're either getting a sweet deal on the st60 or overpaying for the f8500. it shouldn't be quite double.

it's too bad you can't fit a 65" st60. seems like that would be the obvious solution.

After the recent price drop on the Samsung 64 inch F8500, It's not quite double the price of the 60ST60 -- $2800 versus $1500 -- but it's close. Does anyone know if the prices on the Samsungs are likely to continue to drop?
WILLINH's Avatar WILLINH
01:12 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 13
08-13-2013 | Posts: 30
Joined: Aug 2013
I am leaning to the VT or the F8500
newdavy12's Avatar newdavy12
02:46 PM Liked: 11
post #13 of 13
08-13-2013 | Posts: 15
Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

After the recent price drop on the Samsung 64 inch F8500, It's not quite double the price of the 60ST60 -- $2800 versus $1500 -- but it's close. Does anyone know if the prices on the Samsungs are likely to continue to drop?
http://hdguru.com/whats-upp-more-hdtv-makers-join-a-one-price-program/
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3