Unable to connect to Netflix on Panasonic TC-P55VT50 Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the past few months I've been watching Netflix on other devices, but decided to give it a go again on my TC-P55VT50. I hadn't had issues in the past, but now get a message that the app can't connect to Netflix. I've read a number of posts that lead me to believe this is at least a known problem, and is similar to one that has been experienced with the Panasonic BDT220 Blu-ray player (which I also have, but don't have this issue).

To troubleshoot, so far I've:

1. Confirmed the network setup is correct, and that everything else on the TV can access the LAN & WAN successfully; I've also reserved an IP address for the VT50.

2. Confirmed the Netflix app on three other devices, which are on the same LAN, can connect to the service without issue.

3. Deactivated the Netflix app on the VT50 numerous times using the Up, Up, Down, Down, etc. sequence.

4. Factory reset the VT50.

5. Connected the TV via wired connection instead of wireless.

So far nothing has worked to fix this problem; I get the message that the app can't connect to the service almost immediately after starting it up, so haven't even been able to try and re-register the VT50 with Netflix. The error message I see when I go to the deactivation screen is: "NBP / 1 / Unable to connect to functioning local backend /".

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it? Any other recommendations or guidance would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Any firmware updates available for your set ? If you have a PS3 it will usually give the best PQ with Netflix than anything else including smart sets and BD players 2nd in PQ would be a ROKU . Ps 3 is the best streamer on the planet. different devices use different methods as probably already know .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I am up to date on firmware. I don't have a PS3, but usually watch Netflix on my TiVo Premiere 4. It has great quality too, and streams in 1080p unlike my other devices, even though they supposedly have the ability. My issue, however, is that on occasion my Internet connection chokes, and the resolution will constantly change back and forth between 1080p to 1080i, which makes it distracting to watch shows, as my TV screen blacks out for a few seconds with each change. When this happens I switch to another device I know won't try to stream in 1080p, which so far has been my Blu-ray player. The Netflix UI is however pretty slow on this player, and as it's much faster on the TV, I was hoping to use that as a backup instead. Plus, if something is broken I'd like to find out now, before my TV warranty runs out.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-15-2013, 01:13 PM

same problem here on my P55VT50. It was always flaky for me, but the latest firmware update completely broke it. Given I have at least three other devices in my system which work with Netflix just fine, I've pretty much given up myself.

So I think your TV may be just fine (all the other internet clients work fine and the TV itself otherwise works great), but the Netflix client is, unfortunately, too buggy to use.

post #5 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 AM

Liked: 10

I know won't try to stream in 1080p, which so far has been my Blu-ray player. The Netflix UI is however pretty slow on this player, and as it's much faster on the TV, I was hoping to use that as a backup instead. Plus, if something is broken I'd like to find out now, before my TV warranty runs.

CjDQqc

post #6 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForgey View Post

same problem here on my P55VT50. It was always flaky for me, but the latest firmware update completely broke it. Given I have at least three other devices in my system which work with Netflix just fine, I've pretty much given up myself.

So I think your TV may be just fine (all the other internet clients work fine and the TV itself otherwise works great), but the Netflix client is, unfortunately, too buggy to use.

See if this solution works for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274332/netflix-on-viera-cast-television-showing-cannot-connect-to-home-network-error#post_20182989
post #7 of 17 Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 AM

So far, yes! Thank you!

post #8 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 AM

Liked: 13

I can connect on my tc-50ps64 but the picture quality on  ONLY the netflix app is 480.  All the other apps work in HD.  Any solutions?  Its not my ISP as my apple tv and blurry player stream netflix in hd.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michial Brown View Post

I can connect on my tc-50ps64 but the picture quality on  ONLY the netflix app is 480.  All the other apps work in HD.  Any solutions?  Its not my ISP as my apple tv and blurry player stream netflix in hd.

Double check that you aren't on 'Low' (Basic Video Quality, up to 0.3GB per hour).

Changing this setting from Auto to Low makes Netflix on my VT60 go from 1080 to 386. Yuk.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Thanks. I already moved it from auto to high. Whether on auto or high the resolution is pathetic. It's not a problem with my tv I don't think because everything else streams hd. Or is it my tv?
post #11 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks. I already moved it from auto to high. Whether on auto or high the resolution is pathetic. It's not a problem with my tv I don't think because everything else streams hd. Or is it my tv?

Give Netflix Support Chat a whirl?

https://help.netflix.com/help

Just a thought...is your TV Netflix streaming wireless? Check your wireless connection in your room. I have a room at my house that is simply a wifi dead zone for whatever reason...lead paint in the walls?

Use speedtest.net app to test wireless speed at your TV location..

If you have an Android phone or tablet use Wifi Analytics Tool to see if you are on a crowded channel. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pinapps.amped&hl=en If you are on a crowded channel try changing the channel you are broadcasting on your router.

If wireless to your TV is weak, try Powerline Ethernet: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=powerline+ethernet&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apowerline+ethernet
post #12 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Thanks. Like I said when I stream the other apps on my panasonic viera ie Hulu YouTube and amazon instant it's hd so it's not a bandwidth issue.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Thanks. Like I said when I stream the other apps on my panasonic viera ie Hulu YouTube and amazon instant it's hd so it's not a bandwidth issue.

Who is your ISP? Netflix receives a lot more traffic then any other streaming service and without Open Connect you will periodically experience lower quality streams. How often you receive HD quality usually depends on you ISP's CDN capabilities, not your down load speeds. I try to encourage anyone who has these issues with Netflix, to contact their ISP and tell them you want Open Connect.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #14 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Netflix is HD on my iPad, Apple TV, sony bluray player just not my Panny plasma. All those devices are on the same ISP and network wirelessly
post #15 of 17 Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Netflix is HD on my iPad, Apple TV, sony bluray player just not my Panny plasma. All those devices are on the same ISP and network wirelessly

My S60 always plays Super HD. If those devices are in the same location as your TV, which is set up properly with your network, then I suggest you contact Panasonic and tell them we have a problem Houston.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #16 of 17 Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Well, it worked for a while. Another firmware reset got it going again. I think it may just keep in this pattern.. fortunately, just about every component in my system has a Netflix client in it, although it was convenient to use the TVs. Oh well.

post #17 of 17 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Liked: 0
Clock settings

I have been having the same issue with Netflix on my Panasonic Plazma. Somehow my clock settings were set to manual and lost settings. Setting it to automatic fixed the Netflix issue. Manually setting it to the accurate time would have probably also done it. Netflix may be using the time to help validate/verify something, probably your location or time zone – who knows? Anyway, if you haven't already fixed the issue, check your clock settings and then try Netflix again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page