Windexed my Panny G25, now the Anti-glare coating is coming off. Any advice for removing the rest of the coating or to salvage the display? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. Having seen all the replies on similar posts I've read i think we can forego the "only use approved cleaners and water" comments as they won't help the situation now. Basically last night I decided to clean my G25 with windex. The irony of it all is I have hospital intravenous grade sterile water to use on my computer LCD's, but thought i remembered reading that because plasma is glass windex is ok. Well I can assure you it's not, and now my hindsight is 20/20. Basically the glass in one particular area is now very smooth and not quite as sticky...and very reflective. I've called Panasonic just to inquire to what options there are and as expected there are none, but I did get the numbers for the certified repairmen in my city. They both said they're very surprised this happened and that windex usually isn't damaging enough to actually dissolve the coating. Either way there's no fixing it now so my choices are either remove the rest of the coating or buy a new display. Believe me I was on AVS comparing the new gen panny's asap but I'm going to try to salvage this display first. Has anybody had to remove the coating before and what did you use? I'm trying to see how to do it the most evenly way possible; of course I could continue the madness with windex but I wanted to see if anyone had a better idea first. Here's a picture below of the display

DSC00631e2.jpg 2900k .jpg file
DSC00636e2.jpg 2956k .jpg file

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. I'll photography my progress through the removal to show you guys the before and after.

Edit: Apparently I'm not a first time poster! It's just been 3 years since I posted when I asked for advice about buying this TV eek.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00631e2.jpg (2.83 MB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00636e2.jpg (2.89 MB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would wait a few days before doing anything. I cleaned the screen on my VT50 with a microfiber cloth a a small bit of water. I noticed a yellow blotch on the screen but it disappeared in a couple of days. Don't know why it went away but it did.
ROG_Firehawk likes this.

TWD
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
no help from me, but i have actually never seen that before from windex. especially after one cleaning.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post

no help from me, but i have actually never seen that before from windex. especially after one cleaning.

There have been many people here who's screens were similarly damaged by Windex. Others were lucky and suffered no adverse effects from using Windex, but there's no way in hell i'd risk it when simple water works better (no streaking and guaranteed not to attack the delicate coating on the screen).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I would wait a few days before doing anything. I cleaned the screen on my VT50 with a microfiber cloth a a small bit of water. I noticed a yellow blotch on the screen but it disappeared in a couple of days. Don't know why it went away but it did.

Ah the voice of reason, it's always good to have some advice from an objective third party who isn't completely consumed with this in their mind all day. I will sit on it and see if anything helps.

And Randy I definitely wouldn't recommend anybody use windex for their flat panels. I had actually just finished cleaning my computer monitors with sterile water, and then the evil voice in my head told me I should try windex on my display that's more than twice the price of the monitors combined. I actually did read the manual 3 years ago when I bought it, but for some reason yesterday I was convinced I remembered LCD=water, Plasma=windex. And on top of that I sprayed it right on the display cause after years of getting away with it on my computer monitors I figured I could do it on the tv, and that's what I think really did me in.

I did a lot of reading on the new gen ST60 and VT60, and they sound really sweet, kind of what I wanted to see when Panasonic absorbed Pioneer a few years ago, but I wasn't planning on upgrading for at least 5 years which is why I'm trying to save my current display right now.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Randy, I have always known not to use windex and always warn my clients against using it also, just had never actually seen the ill effects.

OP hopefully it rights itself after a day or so like mentioned by TWD, if not great excuse for an upgrade smile.gif

Tags
Panasonic Tc P54g25 54 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv