New OLED tech for anyone who cares - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Read away, as close to reality as Cnet has seen;

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-kn55s9c/4505-6482_7-35823374.html?ttag=fbwp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I could have sworn this was the plasma thread. If you read the review David states that the plasma used for comparison (Samsung 8500) held its own and he also states that he would expect the Panasonic high-end plasmas to fair slightly better in regards to black levels (not intended to start the flames, just what he said). Given the current price of OLED vs. an 8500 or ZT/VT the buying decision is an easy one. I also find it interesting that Samsung chose to use their best plasma vs. their top LED for the demonstration. That says a lot right there regarding why you should get one while you can - plasma just to be clear. Based on what I am reading I wonder if OLED prices will ever fall to the level of affordability offered by the top-of-the-line plasmas available today - screen sizes/manufacturers being equal.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Maybe it's just me, but since the best plasmas are already probably 90% or more of OLED's performance, can be had in screen sizes that are 10'' larger, have color that is most likely just as accurate, it's a really tough sell.

Add to that no 4K, and I say ''thanks, but no thanks''. Yes, one could argue that 4K can't be appreciated in a 55'', but for $9,000 I'd want 4K too, 55'' be damned.

Then there's the issue of reliability. Not an unfair concern given the huge production issues seen during the entire OLED birthing process.

Now if someone would like to send me one..... :-)
airgas1998 likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Not just you Ken, but my wallet wants to be included too smile.gif
Please add me to the demo request as well.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I could have sworn this was the plasma thread. If you read the review David states that the plasma used for comparison (Samsung 8500) held its own and he also states that he would expect the Panasonic high-end plasmas to fair slightly better in regards to black levels (not intended to start the flames, just what he said). Given the current price of OLED vs. an 8500 or ZT/VT the buying decision is an easy one. I also find it interesting that Samsung chose to use their best plasma vs. their top LED for the demonstration. That says a lot right there regarding why you should get one while you can - plasma just to be clear. Based on what I am reading I wonder if OLED prices will ever fall to the level of affordability offered by the top-of-the-line plasmas available today - screen sizes/manufacturers being equal.
Yes, one should not give into hyperbole, but the reviewers have also stated it's the best PQ they've ever seen, for what it's worth. 3 times the price is too rich for me, however (and at a smaller size, to boot). Bring on the flats...
post #6 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Yes, one should not give into hyperbole, but the reviewers have also stated it's the best PQ they've ever seen, for what it's worth. 3 times the price is too rich for me, however (and at a smaller size, to boot). Bring on the flats...

Where's SED when you need it (him)
post #7 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Oh no, careful who you summon.eek.gif OLED is thankfully already ahead of SED. smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Maybe it's just me, but since the best plasmas are already probably 90% or more of OLED's performance, can be had in screen sizes that are 10'' larger, have color that is most likely just as accurate, it's a really tough sell.

Add to that no 4K, and I say ''thanks, but no thanks''. Yes, one could argue that 4K can't be appreciated in a 55'', but for $9,000 I'd want 4K too, 55'' be damned.

Then there's the issue of reliability. Not an unfair concern given the huge production issues seen during the entire OLED birthing process.

Now if someone would like to send me one..... :-)

conspiracy theory alert:

plasmas are being driven off the market to prevent savvy shoppers from not adopting the new OLED panels. this was also the main reason i made sure to spare no expense when i bought a new tv this year. i was concerned it would be my last chance to buy a plasma and did not want to be in a situation where i felt the need to upgrade and couldn't find anything worth upgrading too

but seriously, i'm sure like most display techs, it'll take a few generations before it'll be better than what it's replacing. honestly, i think CRT's were better than plasmas until kuros and the more recent vt/zt/f8500

by 2018 or 2020, the oled should 'hopefully' be mature enough that we won't have a need for lcd or plasma anymore. that's the dream anyway
post #9 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Curved screen? FAIL!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Where's SED when you need it (him)

Amen to that. One display to rule them all. Now it seems that it will be OLED instead of SED.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Oh no, careful who you summon.eek.gif OLED is thankfully already ahead of SED. smile.gif

It should have been the other way around if Canon didn't decide to liquidate the technology. It also would have put Toshiba on the brink.
BOTBOTCHAI. likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM

Yadda yadda, coulda' shoulda' woulda. Canon doesn't exactly have experience with manufacturing displays beyond the ones they outsource (or potentially manufacture) for their cameras, so there's no evidence that SED was imminently set to explode onto the scene, and that little IP suit simply finished off what was inevitable (right around the time of the imploding worldwide economy).

Why oh why did you have to bring up SED, Murray?! biggrin.gif
post #13 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

Sorry - Friday and I was feeling Pure Evil at work. Crap mentioned another one of my favorites smile.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 13
So... the best bet is still to buy a plasma.

People have been talking about OLED so long now that it really feels like an old technology (despite it being, in the consumer TV sense, very new). Even so, it's probably going to be a few years before OLED TVs are anything like a practical price, not to mention that there will no doubt be some bugs to work out of the system.

Buy a Panasonic now (before they disappear and become really expensive), keep it for five years, and then buy an OLED of roughly the same size hopefully for about the same price. Is that a correct assessment of the situation?

Honestly my larger concern is that the tendency for larger screens is going to kill off the small TV selection in the future: all the best features will be reserved for the high-end models, which will all be 80+"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page