PQ issues with my ST50- suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have started to notice a few issues with my ST50 and thought i would run it by you folks to see what the "pros" think.

issue #1- horizontal lines seem to continue accross the entire screen.

This is most noticeable if i pull up the menu while watching something. when a menu option is highlighted, it lights up as a bright yellow bar. well, that bar continues across the screen as sort of a ghostly grey image. it will move when i highlight something else in the menu. this even happens when im just watching normal shows. if there are blinds of something that creates solid horizontal lines lines in the background, you can see a ghostly line faintly go across the entire screen, through peoples faces and such. depending on how bright and large whatever is making the horizontal line is, determines how noticeable the ghostly grey line is that goes across the entire screen.

issue #2- IR.... it just isnt getting better

i have had this TV for almost a year now, and IR just isnt getting any better or reducing in frequency. i cant play a game on this TV that has a brightly colored UI for more than an hour or i will have that UI on my screen for 2 weeks. i have been getting IR just from have the menu for the APPLE TV up for the short amount of time it takes to select something on netflix to watch.... and even IR that occurs after just a few minutes is sticking around for a week or more. i have tried scrubbing videos on youtube, i have tried the DVDs that are supposed to help... the only thing that makes them go away is just watching stuff for a week or more, and then will eventually fade.

im not sure what the heck is going on with this TV, or if this is just normal for plasmas. this is my first plasma, and i only bought it because of the reports on this forum that things like this have basically become non-existent in todays panels.... honestly this has really just turned me off completely to plasmas. even though the blacks are very nice i just cant see how, with these issues, a really quality LED is not better. i find myself avoiding using the TV because i know that if i play a game or something for a while i will just jack up my viewing experience for potentially weeks with IR.

thankfully, i did purchase a 2 year warranty when i bought the thing from the big "yellow tag" store.... so if there is something wrong, i can hopefully get it fixed or replaced.... but i just shouldnt have to.

what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameaus View Post

i have started to notice a few issues with my ST50 and thought i would run it by you folks to see what the "pros" think.

issue #1- vertical lines seem to continue accross the entire screen.

This is most noticeable if i pull up the menu while watching something. when a menu option is highlighted, it lights up as a bright yellow bar. well, that bar continues across the screen as sort of a ghostly grey image. it will move when i highlight something else in the menu. this even happens when im just watching normal shows. if there are blinds of something that creates solid horizontal lines lines in the background, you can see a ghostly line faintly go across the entire screen, through peoples faces and such. depending on how bright and large whatever is making the horizontal line is, determines how noticeable the ghostly grey line is that goes across the entire screen.

issue #2- IR.... it just isnt getting better

i have had this TV for almost a year now, and IR just isnt getting any better or reducing in frequency. i cant play a game on this TV that has a brightly colored UI for more than an hour or i will have that UI on my screen for 2 weeks. i have been getting IR just from have the menu for the APPLE TV up for the short amount of time it takes to select something on netflix to watch.... and even IR that occurs after just a few minutes is sticking around for a week or more. i have tried scrubbing videos on youtube, i have tried the DVDs that are supposed to help... the only thing that makes them go away is just watching stuff for a week or more, and then will eventually fade.

im not sure what the heck is going on with this TV, or if this is just normal for plasmas. this is my first plasma, and i only bought it because of the reports on this forum that things like this have basically become non-existent in todays panels.... honestly this has really just turned me off completely to plasmas. even though the blacks are very nice i just cant see how, with these issues, a really quality LED is not better. i find myself avoiding using the TV because i know that if i play a game or something for a while i will just jack up my viewing experience for potentially weeks with IR.

thankfully, i did purchase a 2 year warranty when i bought the thing from the big "yellow tag" store.... so if there is something wrong, i can hopefully get it fixed or replaced.... but i just shouldnt have to.

what do you guys think?

#1 - if you have vertical lines on your screen it is defective get it replaced.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

#1 - if you have vertical lines on your screen it is defective get it replaced.

they only appear when there is something in the picture creating a horizontal line... they just continue on across the screen when they shouldnt, like through peoples faces if they are standing in front of blinds in the background or something.

so they arent permanently there.... im wondering if it isnt a problem with the image processing or something?
post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Does it happen with every source? Cable,bluray,gaming? HD/SD? Posting a picture would get you more help.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does it happen with every source? Cable,bluray,gaming? HD/SD? Posting a picture would get you more help.

yeah, every source so far as i can tell. like i said, the easiest way to see it is to just pull up the menu. due to the yellow being bright, it really stands out. however if there is a scene in a movie or TV show where the character is standing in front of some blinds and there is light leaking inbetween the slats behind them, you can see the lines pretty easily as well. it just looks like ghostly grey lines going straight across the screen. especially noticeable if it is on a closeup of a face, because you can see the lines going right through the face.

i only really do HD content so i couldnt comment on if it does it in SD.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

this is exactly what im talking about
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

By seeing that picture it looks like severe line bleed which all plasmas have to some extent but never this bad. The only time I have ever seeing it is on the green screen on the beginning of a movie for a brief second. This are horizontal lines you confused me by saying vertical lines at first. As for IR some panels are defenetly worse than others. I game for hours and have never gotten IR. unfortunately if you are not happy I would suggest to get a replacement.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By seeing that picture it looks like severe line bleed which all plasmas have to some extent but never this bad. The only time I have ever seeing it is on the green screen on the beginning of a movie for a brief second. This are horizontal lines you confused me by saying vertical lines at first. As for IR some panels are defenetly worse than others. I game for hours and have never gotten IR. unfortunately if you are not happy I would suggest to get a replacement.

? i never mentioned vertical lines, but ok.

so if it is line bleed this severe, is that a defect? or did i just get unlucky and got a ****** quality panel?

aside from that, ive had it for a year... if this stuff is "normal" i really doubt ill be able to get a replacement even with a warranty....

needless to say, if these are "normal" issues for a plasma, i will never be buying another plasma again, and anyone that says plasmas have the best image quality can seriously **** right off. i have never had any of these issues with my LED TVs and the PQ isnt -that- much worse to put up with all of these other weird issues that only plasmas have.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

? i never mentioned vertical lines, but ok.

so if it is line bleed this severe, is that a defect? or did i just get unlucky and got a ****** quality panel?

Check your first post issue #1. I have never seen line bleed that severe, maybe ask in the ST50 thread if others panels are that bad. I have a GT50.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Check your first post issue #1. I have never seen line bleed that severe, maybe ask in the ST50 thread if others panels are that bad. I have a GT50.

fixed, soz
post #11 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

nobody with an ST50 has any input on this?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

nobody with an ST50 has any input on this?

It's not an ST50 issue, Line Bleed is occasionally seen on all Plasma TVs to some extent regardless of brand or model, but that picture you posted has more severe line bleed than i've ever seen. I remember one time during a boxing match where the ropes passed through a fighter's torso, but your picture is worse. I rarely see line bleed, and when i do it's only on some scenes and very brief and is easily ignored.

Your panel may very well be defective, but getting Panasonic or a repair technician to agree might be a tough sell. If you're still under warranty, you may as well request a service visit. Take more pictures of the issue, and be ready to play back any content that causes the severe line bleed. Check the green preview screen at the beginning of any DVD - this has historically been the biggest offender in regards to Line Bleed to some extent or another.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 10
Have them replace it. That's egregious.

I've only been in the plasma fold since July, with a smaller, cheaper model from a different maker, and I've never seen line bleed, or had IR from Apple TV, (or anything) knock on wood. Broke it in staying in standard mode and watching HD TV.

Much better luck with the next one to you.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page