Lack of posts focusing on screen glare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was researching plasma screen glare and was surprised to see how infrequently it is discussed. I have a Samsung PN58B560 which has some glare, but it has never bothered me until recently.

The reason it bothers me now is that I bought a low-end LG plasma last month, which had the worst glare I've ever seen. It was basically a mirror. I quickly returned it, but after that poor experience, I'm now much more mindful of the glare of my Samsung, to the point that I'm considering buying a replacement.

I strongly prefer plasma over LCD, so I want to stay with plasmas. I love the quality of my Sammy 560 and would like something comparable performance-wise in the $1k range, but with less screen glare.

Can someone recommend a few good plasmas in this price range? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, no replies on screen glare. I guess I'm the only one bothered by it. Who woulda thunk?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM

maybe try the panasonic s64 with the anti reflective coating i have the st60 and its much less glare than my old lgpv450
post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

I was researching plasma screen glare and was surprised to see how infrequently it is discussed. I have a Samsung PN58B560 which has some glare, but it has never bothered me until recently.

The reason it bothers me now is that I bought a low-end LG plasma last month, which had the worst glare I've ever seen. It was basically a mirror. I quickly returned it, but after that poor experience, I'm now much more mindful of the glare of my Samsung, to the point that I'm considering buying a replacement.

I strongly prefer plasma over LCD, so I want to stay with plasmas. I love the quality of my Sammy 560 and would like something comparable performance-wise in the $1k range, but with less screen glare.

Can someone recommend a few good plasmas in this price range? Thanks.

The S64 is a good recommendation not sure if the lower end Sammys have an AR filter but you definitely ned one in a room with any kind of light. Time was there were some matte screens availible but the trend is towards glossy screens but with an ar filter that should be mitigated to some extent.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
F8500 has good filter to keep out the glare.

Also the brighter a set can get, the more glare it can make disappear. Thats a huge plus for the PNF8500 vs any other Plasma
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 457
His budget is $1000 no way he gets a F8500 for that price

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Liked: 14
My suggestion! Save your money up for the Samsung. It will be worth the wait. From all angles.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetightbass View Post

My suggestion! Save your money up for the Samsung. It will be worth the wait. From all angles.

Except vertical angles, because the damn AR filter. tongue.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

His budget is $1000 no way he gets a F8500 for that price

Thanks for mentioning that. I do intend to stay at a $1k max. I'm starting to think I can't find a low glare 60 inch plasma for that price. Bummer.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS G35 View Post

F8500 has good filter to keep out the glare. Also the brighter a set can get, the more glare it can make disappear. Thats a huge plus for the PNF8500 vs any other Plasma

The problem with glare and reflections in a bright room (or with bright lights or windows directly reflected in the screen) on current Plasmas is not because they're not bright enough, glare and reflections are more of a problem during dark scenes or with dark content (like a dark movie) where the screen becomes like a dark mirror and windows and lights become visible in these dark areas. During sports for instance, those same windows or lights won't be nearly as visible as they are during a dark movie. The LED LCD TVs have the exact same problem with dark content, especially considering that most of them have glossy reflective screens like the low end Plasmas do.

While the F8500 is the brightest Plasma on the market, the Panny S60 and ST60 and VT60 are still more than bright enough and during bright scenes can punch through ambient light pretty well. None of the F8500 or Panasonic owners run their panels at full brightness anyway. If a room is so bright that a current Plasma is not bright enough, then it's not a good environment for watching TV in the first place.

The AR Filter on the F8500/S64/ST60/VT60 does help mute and soften any reflections you see in the screen, but it's not a huge difference.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 14 Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The problem with glare and reflections in a bright room (or with bright lights or windows directly reflected in the screen) on current Plasmas is not because they're not bright enough, glare and reflections are more of a problem during dark scenes or with dark content (like a dark movie) where the screen becomes like a dark mirror and windows and lights become visible in these dark areas. During sports for instance, those same windows or lights won't be nearly as visible as they are during a dark movie...

That's my issue. Sports are fine to watch day or night, but we also watch a lot of darker sci-fi movies and TV shows, often during the day. Since we only have one living room, we can't move the TV to another room, so we need a TV that will display all programming well regardless of room brightness.

I'm not demanding ZERO glare, but I would like something that is more glare-resistant than my Samsung PN58B560. Does a 60-inch low-glare plasma TV for $1k exist?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM

This is why I hung on to my rear projection Mitsubishi for so long, I didn't want to have to deal with the glare issue. I simply removed the contrast panel.

I partially blame Apple and their "iMac Mirror" which doubles as a computer for pushing the current trend towards glossy. wink.gif

But the Mitsui finally died last week and so am looking at the ST or XT 60's, the F8500 (it's a bit less reflective than the Panasonics) and actually Sharp LCD's as they still dare to use semi-gloss (their words) screens. Too bad the Sharps seem to have some motion and color issues. I'd really like to consider a Philips with the Moth filter, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the States.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post

This is why I hung on to my rear projection Mitsubishi for so long, I didn't want to have to deal with the glare issue. I simply removed the contrast panel.

I partially blame Apple and their "iMac Mirror" which doubles as a computer for pushing the current trend towards glossy. wink.gif

But the Mitsui finally died last week and so am looking at the ST or XT 60's, the F8500 (it's a bit less reflective than the Panasonics) and actually Sharp LCD's as they still dare to use semi-gloss (their words) screens. Too bad the Sharps seem to have some motion and color issues. I'd really like to consider a Philips with the Moth filter, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the States.

Lol, I remember my Mits WS55807 with the red push and horrible geometry. It was a love-hate relationship with that TV, but I've moved 5 times in the past several years ... no way I was going to keep lugging that behemoth around.

Funny I had forgotten that you could remove the glare screen from the Mits rear projection units. If only we could do the same with plasma TVs!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

Lol, I remember my Mits WS55807 with the red push and horrible geometry. It was a love-hate relationship with that TV, but I've moved 5 times in the past several years ... no way I was going to keep lugging that behemoth around.

Funny I had forgotten that you could remove the glare screen from the Mits rear projection units. If only we could do the same with plasma TVs!!!

OMG! ...that's my very set!

smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln40c560 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc 65ps64 65 Inch , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page