Panasonic Plasma lost picture and sound with HDMI connections only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello. I have a Panasonic Plasma (TC-P50UT50). Recently, we had a severe thunderstorm in our area. I think it might have taken out both (two) of its HDMI inputs. Here is the full situation & what I have done to narrow down the issue:

I was at work at the time, but the wife and kids were at home watching the severe weather reports on TV. According to my wife and neighbor, there was a significant lightning strike within the area and maybe about 100 yards from the house. They said it was EXTREMELY loud. We temporarily lost the Comcast cable TV and internet & the home thermostat needed to be reset in order for the home's AC to work again. TV and internet both came back in about 2hrs later and as far as I know (so far) most other electronic equipment is OK.

However, when I got home, I noticed that the 2 HDMI inputs on this Panasonic TV are not fully functioning properly. The TV powers on fine and all its “smart” features work fine too. HDMI 1 was connected to a TiVo Premiere and HDMI 2 was connected to a Sony Home Theater receiver. I say not FULLY function cause while there was no sound or video on either input, turning on the TV itself also still powered on the Sony Home theater.

Now, to try and narrow down the problem (thinking it could be the TiVo and/or Sony HT), I unplugged both devices from the HDMI inputs and plugged in a WDTV Live media player to both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. Nothing. I know this WDTV player is fine cause it was connected and fully working on the Sony HDTV in our bedroom (that was apparently off during the storm). I then even took it back to the bedroom TV and hooked it up and the WDTV works perfectly OK.

Now, this Panasonic TV also has a shared component/composite input. A standard (composite) DVD player was hooked up to it, but since the Tivo has component outputs, I hooked it up to the Panasonic and it works fine and I can see the TiVo just fine through the component input. I have left it this way for now since its the only way to view anything on the Panasonic plasma.

After doing both this sleuthing and researching some stuff online, I am thinking the lightning strike most likely took out both of my HDMI inputs on this HDTV. Does this sound about right? If so, I also looked at some replacement boards online (that contain the HDMI inputs) and they would probably run me about $75-$100. I have replaced a laptop motherboard in the past so am thinking I could give this a shot and do it myself. Would feel fairly comfortable doing so.

Any other suggestions and/or input on what this might be? Or does it sound like I have pretty much narrowed down the issue?

Also, I read another post on this board from 2011 with a similar circumstance and there was a mentioning that you have to be careful cause the HDMI outputs that were connected to the HDTV (on my TiVo and/or Sony HT) might also be damaged. If so, plugging them back into a repaired TV board would just blow the board again. Is this true? If so, how could I test the HDMI outputs on the TiVo and Sony HT to make sure they are OK before plugging them back into a repaired Panasonic Plasma?

ANY suggestions or help would be great and open to ALL feedback
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page