Panny 50"S64, 50"ST60 or 55"ST50?.. or consider samsung? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jiddu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I can't make up my mind, here's what I've found localy:

50" S64 ~ $950 at costco
50" ST60 ~ $1300 everywhere
55" ST50 ~ $950 at the Brick

- I don't care about 3D
- Don't game very much, lag not important
- Movies and Sports is what I'll watch most

- I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for ST60 if it's worth it in terms of picture quality, some review has said the ST60 retains its quality much better when lights come on and it's worth the extra dollar if you don't mind spending it. I can spend, just don't want to needlesly

- Intended room is not a bright room, but I don't want to have to turn my lights down/off just to watch something every time. Not sure if that would be the case with S64 but just thinking out loud.

- 5" extra and still in my price range seems like a good deal, but I don't know how much better the new generation is.. also it'd be last years lower-mid vs. this years lower end model, I don't know what's better.

- Looked at Panny plasmas by instinct, but it seems people are liking Samsungs more and more so maybe I should consider?

Please help, some of these won't be available soon and my 42"G15 is broken and unwatcheable now I need a TV frown.gif
jiddu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
damag0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't seen the ST50 or the S64, but I recently got my UT50 replaced with an ST60 and I cannot be happier.
damag0r is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Member
 
mintchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damag0r View Post

I haven't seen the ST50 or the S64, but I recently got my UT50 replaced with an ST60 and I cannot be happier.

How much better is your ST60 than the UT50? I have the UT50 as well and am thinking about making the jump.
mintchris is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiddu View Post

Hi all, I can't make up my mind, here's what I've found localy:

50" S64 ~ $950 at costco
50" ST60 ~ $1300 everywhere
55" ST50 ~ $950 at the Brick

- I don't care about 3D
- Don't game very much, lag not important
- Movies and Sports is what I'll watch most

These prices are off for US dollars. Costco currently has the 50" S64 for $599; amazon/bestbuy/most other online retailers have the 50" ST60 for $1k.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
damag0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

How much better is your ST60 than the UT50? I have the UT50 as well and am thinking about making the jump.

As I said in the UT50 thread it blows the UT50 out of the water. The ST60 has superior PQ in almost every aspect. Hell, it looked better uncalibrated than my calibrated UT50 did. And it looks WAY better when I plugged in D-Nice's settings. I plan on calibrating it myself though once I put about 250 hours on it.
mintchris likes this.
damag0r is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post

These prices are off for US dollars. Costco currently has the 50" S64 for $599; amazon/bestbuy/most other online retailers have the 50" ST60 for $1k.

He must be in a foreign country biggrin.gif

The only Samsung worth considering is the F8500 but is like twice the price of an ST60. All the other Samsungs are low-end and are more comparable to the low-end S60 series (neither have an AR Filter).

The 50SST60 will be a little crisper and sharper than a 55ST50, but i think the G15 is still crisper and sharper than both of em (my 46G10 is much crisper and sharper than my 50GT50).

Of that list, i'd pick the 50ST60 unless the extra 5 inches of screen size is worth having a softer picture.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jiddu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

He must be in a foreign country biggrin.gif

The only Samsung worth considering is the F8500 but is like twice the price of an ST60. All the other Samsungs are low-end and are more comparable to the low-end S60 series (neither have an AR Filter).

The 50SST60 will be a little crisper and sharper than a 55ST50, but i think the G15 is still crisper and sharper than both of em (my 46G10 is much crisper and sharper than my 50GT50).

Of that list, i'd pick the 50ST60 unless the extra 5 inches of screen size is worth having a softer picture.

I was thinking about it at work all day and started thinking the 50ST60, and yes I'm right next door in Canada and our prices are different. 50ST60 it is then, doubt I'll be disappointed

Thanks.

Can't wait to get it in the house and start watching smile.gif
jiddu is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jiddu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
.. also, while reading reviews I found an article that says Panny may stop making plasmas very soon. Reading that kind of made me sad, and angry at stupid consumers frown.gif
jiddu is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adone36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Was that this years article, or last, or the year before that, or the year before that?

Tony
adone36 is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off