best plasma for gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello, so i am wondering witch plasma has the least amount if input lag right now and best for gaming /sports on the market i don't care about the cost i have already exchanged 2 f8500's (both calibrated waste of money) and i want to give the vt65 or zt65 a try but i think i will have the same problems green lines from top to bottom and noises besides all that the lag was like 56-70 . so is the st60 the only decent one out there ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kof123 View Post

hello, so i am wondering witch plasma has the least amount if input lag right now and best for gaming /sports on the market i don't care about the cost i have already exchanged 2 f8500's (both calibrated waste of money) and i want to give the vt65 or zt65 a try but i think i will have the same problems green lines from top to bottom and noises besides all that the lag was like 56-70 . so is the st60 the only decent one out there ?

So you bought a Samsung F8500 and were not happy with the input lag? Who calibrated your panel? Best buy? Green lines from top to bottom and noises? What are you talking about? You must of had bad panels, no one has complained about green lines top to bottom before.
Haven't you done your homework and researched which 2013 plasma has the best input lag before you bought the Samsung? I can't really see it bothering you that much unless you are a serious gamer that plays shooting games all the time. Did you set your Samsung to PC mode? Appearantly it gives you a lower input lag that way?
Anyways the Panasonic S60 has the lowest input lag this year (34.1 ms) not the best picture quality but best input lag for gaming.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The ST60 has more lag (70~ms as opposed to 35~ms of other TVs), but most people don't notice it at all, including me.
However if you play a LOT of games (or watch a lot of sports with static logos on the screen), I don't know that I'd recommend a plasma. IR/burn-in will be a constant fear/threat.

I use my ST60 for a good mix of TV, movies, and games. I got and was luckily able to get rid of some IR from a little too much COD this past weekend. And I took to playing Dragon's Crown in the bedroom because of the static names/scores that are at the top of the screen all the time, and I got tired of lowering contrast and changing overscan on/off to move the position of the HUD. Mass Effect 3's HUD isn't an issue as there are so many cutscenes and non-action sequences.

Some people are lucky and never get IR, but they are either very careful with their viewing habits because they know they have to baby it, or don't look for it or notice it. It's like saying the battery-powered stomach bands (that supposedly make your muscles contract) work and help you lose weight. If it works, the lap band has no real effect, it's just that the person started being more careful with their diet and habits.

I do play a lot of games, and the ST60 is worth it to me because of the amazing picture quality. But I do have to be careful with what we watch on TV or when I play games.

It's up to you, of course. biggrin.gif

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

latino heat : yes mabye i did have bad panels but it was a green line running through the screen maybe the pixels died and as for the noise im talking about the buzzing noises that everyone has experienced i got it calibrated by a isf technician not best buy and yes i did do my research but i found that led and lcd has the lowest lag input but as for plasma not too sure but i dont think they are good for gaming by the looks of it .and yes i did try it in pc mode and also game mode it was still noticeable i just want the perfect tv so i dont have to worry about this crap about babying it ir burn in etc i want the best picture quality the best input lag basically overall whatever the best is i dont care about the price but obviously i do not want to pay like 20,000 but like 5000 to me is reasonable i already spent 4500 for this set with sound bar and stuff . so is there any tv out there for me? should i just go led and lose the picture quality? but gain the gaming experience ?
post #5 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

the set has to be good for watching hockey and play games.i don't care about movies i rarely watch netflix and stuff i do have it just occasionally
post #6 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the set has to be good for watching hockey and play games.i don't care about movies i rarely watch netflix and stuff i do have it just occasionally

Than I suggest you go with LED and call it a day since you want the best input lag. The Sony 55W802 has the best input lag of 16.9 ms

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 819
can't comment on panel issues, but as far as input lag goes you're probably stuck with the vt if you want good picture quality.

the st60 is worse than the f8500 from what i've read, definitely worse than the vt60

imo, you will have to sacrifice picture quality to get low input lag and especially if you want to get 'worry free' use with an LCD. although i don't think you have to baby the new plasmas. i baby my projector, and use the plasma when i'm going to abuse the heck out of it(it's my HTPC monitor as well) and the f8500 has done everything i've asked it to. it does have slightly better input lag in PC mode than my projector does as well, not that my projector is lighting fast(i believe around 80ms)

if the f8500, vt60, and s60 don't cut it for you, then take the hit on PQ and go LCD.
the only other option i would look into is front projection if you have the room for it(not talking space, but the characteristics of the room). some of the DLP projectors have phenomenal input lag. but i'm guessing you probably don't want to game with the lights off

it's unfortunate, but tv manufacturers must assume gamers don't care about picture quality, because there really isn't that perfect mix of great PQ, and low input lag.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

right now my choices are vt65 or the led 8000 series from Samsung 60 inch is the highest i believe they go any other suggestions anyone? i want 60 inch + so the Sony is out of the question 55 inch
post #9 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 AM

The Panasonic TX-P55VT65B isn’t the slimmest of flagship TVs but it’s still a beauty and the reason for the added girth lies in practicalities as it houses front-firing speakers and hides the built-in camera.
The speakers themselves are very impressive for a flat panel TV and we’ve no problem in having a relatively solid black bezel framing our pictures.65pFOd A warm welcome awaits users in the shape of the new My Home Screen which provides the dual benefits of almost infinite customisability and refined navigation, thanks to some clever design choices. The new Panasonic options menus are more sprawling than in previous years and there’s a lot more by ways of unnecessary picture controls but we’re not complaining too vociferously given the inclusion of a fabulous suite of calibration options therein.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

right now my choices are vt65 or the led 8000 series from Samsung 60 inch is the highest i believe they go any other suggestions anyone? i want 60 inch + so the Sony is out of the question 55 inch

The Samsung UN60F8000 has input lag of 45ms (PC)
The Panasonic VT60 has 47.9 ms

If the F8500 couldn't handle your gaming, I doubt any of these will 100% please you either. rolleyes.gif

post #11 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
how about looking into the Panasonic tc-65ps64 from Costco or sams club. It's not as high end as you are looking at , but has a very good picture and lower lag for gaming.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I already mentioned that in my first post, I guess he wasn't interested.

post #13 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
You could go with a 70" Sony R550 which has ~35ms, looks pretty damn good, has passive 3d and is relatively cheap for the screen size.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #14 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys i am trying to get the best of both worlds so if something is around 30-45ms lag i guess it would be okay as long as the PQ is just as good . and as for sony products visions doesn't sell it and that is where i will be purchasing as i will be exchanging the f8500 they give me a good deal on every tv but they don't sell sony products i will be picking something new up tonight so im doing some last minute searches right now i have bumped up my choice to the ZT65 as i dont care for camera crap and stuff and that is the best plasma you can buy right now anyone have a different choice like whats the best LED for example? the best plasma is the ZT65 best led ?? and best lcd?? that would make my choice easier if anyone can let me know
post #15 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the input guys i am trying to get the best of both worlds so if something is around 30-45ms lag i guess it would be okay as long as the PQ is just as good . and as for sony products visions doesn't sell it and that is where i will be purchasing as i will be exchanging the f8500 they give me a good deal on every tv but they don't sell sony products i will be picking something new up tonight so im doing some last minute searches right now i have bumped up my choice to the ZT65 as i dont care for camera crap and stuff and that is the best plasma you can buy right now anyone have a different choice like whats the best LED for example? the best plasma is the ZT65 best led ?? and best lcd?? that would make my choice easier if anyone can let me know

Well if that is the case than the Samsung F8000 is your only other option , not the best LED but since you can only get it at visions you are limited. The ZT is superior. But you are a gamer , therefore the samsung would fit you more but like I said before if the F8500 didn't please you, I doubt the F8000 will either. Anyways good luck on whatever you choose.

post #16 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

the only reason the f8500 screwed me over is because this is the 2nd set that has giving me trouble green line they were both defective i guess so thats why im staying away from that dont want to go down that road again . and ive seen alot of people here game on plasma dont know why im the only one getting bad luck with it . the zt has about 46 ms of lag the f8000 is actually worse

8000 series samsung

PC Mode:

- PC Mode - 33 ms
- PC Mode - 2nd reading - 17 ms
- PC Mode - 3rd reading - 16 ms

Regular Viewing Mode:

- Movie Mode - 118 ms
- Standard Mode - 100 ms
- Standard Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 100 ms
- Standard Mode - Auto Motion Plus on Clear - 99 ms
- Standard Mode - Auto Motion Plus on Standard - 100 ms

Game Mode:

- Game Mode - 84 ms
- Game Mode - 2nd reading - 101 ms
- Game Mode - 3rd reading - 83 ms
- Game Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 66 ms
- Game Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 2nd reading - 66 ms"
post #17 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

only thing i am worried right now is the fan noise and the IR or burn in when im gaming for the zt65 but with Led i wont have to worry but i will lose the PQ and also may have worse input lag
post #18 of 20 Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

decided to go with the zt65
post #19 of 20 Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Liked: 12
I'm sorry that the F8500 wasn't cutting it for you. I'm surprised. Using PC Mode, the 8500 worked well for me. I'm anticipating the PS4 launch and I hope my experience stays as rosy as it's been.

I'm curious if you ran the same lag tests for the F8500.

I'd be interested to see the PC Mode values compared to the 8000
post #20 of 20 Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:

decided to go with the zt65

So... how did this turn out? I'm still gaming on a 32" SD CRT and it's time to upgrade. Going through the same decision process as you only I have to get something at Best Buy where I have a $1200 credit. I'd love to know what you think of the Panasonic and if you've had any burn-in/IR issues.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page