Do I need an UPS or power conditioner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I want to age my new panasonic tv by running slides and want the slides to continue running. We occasionally have short brownouts (1x every month or two) that reset electronics such as the microwave, computer or HT components. What do I need to buy to keep the slides running and prevent a brownout from restarting the tv: an APC or a power conditioner? Thanks!

BTW, I used the term "brownout" to describe a short term change in power that disrupts electrical operation. I am not taking measurements so do not know exactly what happens....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Yes I would get one, not only are they useful but you can connect all your sources power cables to it for a cleaner power. I have a Belkin power conditioner, it works and looks good. There are many to choose from.
IDRick likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I meant to say, do I need a power conditioner or a UPS (uninterruptable power supply)? Does that change your answer? I don't know if this short burp is a short term under/over voltage situation or an actual very short power interruption.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Sorry I have no experience with a UPS. Maybe some else can give you more help.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well is your power dropping out or simply "changing"? If it's an undervoltage situation, you would obviously see your electrical dim and maybe go out. An overvoltage situation wouldn't really be too noticeable in your home.You would see a spike as your power tries to return to normal after a dip or "brown-out". It's rare, but if it's bad enough it could blow your light bulbs out sometimes.

You may be able to get a quality UPS that switches over in any instance where your power isn't between 105-125VAC. This should help if you're having slight dips and spikes.

But, if you're just experiencing wide ranging dips and spikes, I'd suggest you get your electric co. out to inspect a few things. Dips/spikes like that may indicate a transformer issue or a poor neutral somewhere. Either way, it could be a serious problem.

Or your power company has been having a rough summer. lol

post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Well is your power dropping out or simply "changing"? If it's an undervoltage situation, you would obviously see your electrical dim and maybe go out. An overvoltage situation wouldn't really be too noticeable in your home.You would see a spike as your power tries to return to normal after a dip or "brown-out". It's rare, but if it's bad enough it could blow your light bulbs out sometimes.

You may be able to get a quality UPS that switches over in any instance where your power isn't between 105-125VAC. This should help if you're having slight dips and spikes.

But, if you're just experiencing wide ranging dips and spikes, I'd suggest you get your electric co. out to inspect a few things. Dips/spikes like that may indicate a transformer issue or a poor neutral somewhere. Either way, it could be a serious problem.

Or your power company has been having a rough summer. lol

I don't have any way of measuring what is going on and since it does not occur frequently, it is difficult for anyone else to troubleshoot... I can't remember the last time that it happened when I was around and paying attention.... It happened last night while we were sleeping. Previous to that, ~5 weeks ago, our dvr was interrupted during a late night recording. The last time I recall, my computer shot off and immediately restarted. Don't recall the lights actually dimming, just off then on. I will talk with the power company and see what they have to say.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I had a problem with my speakers being overly sensitive to voltage on the ground in my house. (on the ground I had a +5 volt current being fed from some device in my house)

I got a belkin power conditioner (one of the top of the line ones) and have since set it up to do triggered power cycling and such with my receiver.

I don't think it is necessary for televisions as they do not amplify or directly play any source in the analog realm anymore. Most, if not all of their processing is digital and is very resilient to any minor electrical issues.

Now, would it be smart to put a device in between the wall and the tv to protect it from lightning and such things... probably....
post #8 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

I don't have any way of measuring what is going on and since it does not occur frequently, it is difficult for anyone else to troubleshoot... I can't remember the last time that it happened when I was around and paying attention.... It happened last night while we were sleeping. Previous to that, ~5 weeks ago, our dvr was interrupted during a late night recording. The last time I recall, my computer shot off and immediately restarted. Don't recall the lights actually dimming, just off then on. I will talk with the power company and see what they have to say.

Ah ok. If it were a serious problem it would be happening more often. Seems like your power co. may just have the occasional issue.

A UPS with a range between 105-125 or so should help with eiter dips or slight spikes. Should keep your gear running smoothly.

post #9 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I recently started checking into getting a battery backup UPS due to occasional momentary power interruptions in my neighborhood that would cause my Tivo and desktop PC to spontaneously reboot.

I ended up choosing a CyberPower AVR series unit which gives "Automatic Voltage Regulation" as well as "full protection against harmful power problems including brownouts, over-voltages, surges and spikes". Some of the AVR series has an LCD screen that displays status etc, and some have software so you can monitor it on your PC. The lower capacity units lay down flat, and the higher capacity units are tower style with the receptacles on the back. The AVR units have AVR in the model number, and the LCD units have LCD in the model number so it's easy to pick out which ones have these features.

I ended up getting the CP850AVRLCD tower model which gives 510 watts (it's the lowest tower model) and it has software to control it).

I don't have my TV connected to it, but i have my PC tower, PC monitor, HD Tivo, TWC DVR, TWC Tuning Adapter, cordless phone, U-Verse modem, and a small 13" LCD TV all connected to it and the total load is only 250 watts. I did a test run (unplugged it from the wall) and everything stayed on for 8 minutes, then it started warning me that it's about to shut down my PC so i plugged it back in. Pretty cool little gizmo.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/avr-series-ups.html

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/intelligent-lcd-ups.html

IDRick likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Awesome, thanks Randy! Excellent advice and most helpful links.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page